Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-22-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
Revrend.
Actually an atheist!

Talking Jcm 800 vs. Peavey Windsor

I've been looking around for a Jcm 800 now for quite some time, and last week my store just got one! It's a 50W combo, used, and it sounds great, 1450 $ (guitar stuff is much more expensive in the Sweden then in the U.S). But lately I've heard that the Peavey Windsor is pretty similar, almost just as good at nailing those 80s metal tones as the Marshall. So far, I've only heard the Peavey played with a JS30RR by a friend of mine who pretty much just started playing. The Peavey is 1145 for a half-stack here.

I'm not asking you guys which amp to buy, I'm merely after some oppinons and experiences here. Would the Windsor be able to nail those Metallica-Megadethy sounds I'm after? I will of course try them both out next time I go to the store, but it seems that it will be a while till my next visit.

Cheers!

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
(Soon to be gone) Peavey Bandit 112
Soldano Hot Rod 50+ (1993)
Framus 212 (V30's)
Revrend. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
Chad11491

keep in mind the peavey is a single channel, so you'd want an overdrive/distortion pedal if you want to s witch back and forth between cleans, but the Windsor does have a great sound to it, i played AC/DC on it and it nailed it, not sure bout metallica, but i think it'd do megadeth fine (which means pre-kirk metallica too basically, lol)
Self made super strat
Egnater Tweaker head/212 Cab
Chad11491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:59 PM   #3
woodenbandman
Likes Dragonforce

Location: San Francisco. Member of the following: Peavey is Awesome, I Love Pignose Amps, Tone Phreaks, And Queen Fan clubs.
The windsor supposedly has an awful cabinet that goes with it, so maybe just get the head. It's supposed to be a totally killer amp, but the damn guitar center I go to has a broken one.

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
woodenbandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:50 PM   #4
FlightofIcarus

Well, here's a side by side analysis for ya!

JCM 800 vs Windsor (In my opinion)

Price: JCM 800 <<< Windsor
Value for money: JCM 800 < Windsor
Resale value: JCM 800 > Windsor
Options/trims available: JCM 800 > Windsor
Gain: JCM 800 < Windsor
Tone: JCM 800 ~= Windsor

Basically, the Windsor is more of a hot-rodded JCM 800 kind of sound. It has more on-board gain, and can't do cleans at higher volumes so well. If you're looking at using the amp for 80's metal, the Windsor + an overdrive pedal will do exactly what you're looking for for a hell of a lot less money. I find it to be more featured as well, with a footswitchable gain boost (really helps leads cut through in a band mix), and the class A/class A/B texture switching option (Leaving this knob halfway is sort of like a small power reduction for the class A/B sound)

Unfortunately, the Windsor only comes in a 100-watt head, which is overkill for anything short of a large gig really. You're going to want an attenuator with it too. There's supposed to be a 15/20 watt combo with a built in attenuator coming out, but I don't know when, and it will probably sound different from the head (comes stock with EL84s instead of EL34's). Also, the cab is ok, but you're better off spending the money on something like a Marshall 1960A (or a nice 2x12 cab). A nice thing about the JCM 800 is that there are multiple combo and head versions available, including channel switching ones (which I find to be not as good as the single channel heads, but whatev).

That being said, I love my Windsor. It's a great amp for the money. It'll hang in there with many more expensives ones!
Nothing about a 7 string guitar is different than a 6 string except for extra string. You don't play it differently, you don't lick it differently, and you certainly don't take it to cheap restaurants either, you saucy boy.

FlightofIcarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:21 PM   #5
nirvana001
I hate hippies

The windsor CANT do cleans at a higher volume.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:49 AM   #6
Revrend.
Actually an atheist!

Thanx for the responses. So, from this I've gathered that the Windsor has some good tones, but will I need a OD to get enough gain to pull off "Master of Puppets" or Tornado of Souls", if so what do you suggest? And has anyone got any experience with the Coffin Blood Drive? I have'nt heard very many oppinons on it, but it seems pretty cool.

Cheers!

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
(Soon to be gone) Peavey Bandit 112
Soldano Hot Rod 50+ (1993)
Framus 212 (V30's)
Revrend. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revrend.
Thanx for the responses. So, from this I've gathered that the Windsor has some good tones, but will I need a OD to get enough gain to pull off "Master of Puppets" or Tornado of Souls", if so what do you suggest? And has anyone got any experience with the Coffin Blood Drive? I have'nt heard very many oppinons on it, but it seems pretty cool.

Cheers!

i'd say it has enough gain for that on its own, but that's just me.

best bet is if you can try them head to head, obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: