Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-26-2007, 05:03 PM   #1
Ultraturtle0
UG's Headcrab

Truss rod installation.

I bought this truss rod from StewMac: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_r..._Truss_Rod.html

And I have no freaking idea how to install it, or how it works. I know you drill a hole for the anchor near the neck-body join, and need a groove for it to be put into, but is the groove flat-bottomed? Or is it curved? How deep in the neck does it go? How the heck does it even work when all you adjust it with is a tiny nut?

Does anybody know of a decent site with an installation tutorial? I'm working out of Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvin Hiscock, and the book's explanation is downright terrible. It really just confused me more...

Thanks in advance.

Archaeology

Check out our band's first recorded song! Comments appreciated! http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Ultraturtle0/
Apologies for the bad recording quality.
Ultraturtle0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 11:39 PM   #2
Ultraturtle0
UG's Headcrab

Wow, over 50 views and not one person even leaves a crude comment.

I managed to scrounge through google pictures and figure out how to do it myself.

Thanks.

Archaeology

Check out our band's first recorded song! Comments appreciated! http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Ultraturtle0/
Old 05-28-2007, 03:34 AM   #3
forsaknazrael
..kupo?

Sorry, not really a lot of experienced luthiers around here anymore. Plus, it was only one day. Cordoroy might've seen it, given more time. You'd have better luck on projectguitar.com's forums, to be honest. There might be tuts on thsi on projectguitar's main site, but I'm not sure. Check it out. G'luck.
forsaknazrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:11 AM   #4
Vulcan

That's actually a difficult rod to install, as you must cut threads after cutting it to length. Anyone who's run a die down a piece of rod knows that the resulting threads end up wandering back and forth from one side of the rod and back to the other. Functional, but barely. A guide is needed. You would be best off with one of their hot-rods. I've used them and they work very well.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
AlGeeEater
Luthier

Installing the hot rod truss rods are pretty much the EASIEST truss rod to install. Just buy the router bit from stew mac (the hot rod bit, I think it's just a 7/8" flute bit) and route a channel down the center of the neck using a fence or whatever method you prefer. Use silicone caulk to secure each anchor of the truss rod. Not really that difficult to install, they're actually easier than Gibson style rods.

You don't need to cut anything or crap into the truss rod. Route the channel, secure the anchors and glue on the fretboard.

edit: wierd, the link sent me to the hot rod truss rod. haha
edit 2: just get the hot rod truss rod. much easier.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'

Last edited by AlGeeEater : 05-28-2007 at 07:26 PM.
AlGeeEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:33 PM   #6
Ultraturtle0
UG's Headcrab

Smile

Thanks for the replies. I looked on ProjectGuitar and not much came up that I didn't already know as far as truss rods go.

I routed a channel for the rod and just finished chiseling out the anchor cavity. The book I'm using recommends putting the truss rod through plastic drink straws. If I do that, can I just set the truss rod in the slot and glue in a fillet? Do I even need to worry about having a fillet?

Sorry I sounded so impatient, I had a horrendous band practice that morning.

I'm taking pictures throughout the building process and I'm considering posting a worklog to clarify some of the harder parts of the project for first-time builders.

Like me

Archaeology

Old 05-28-2007, 04:41 PM   #7
forsaknazrael
..kupo?

No worries.
But hey, ya got Algee to come check it out. He almost never posts.
forsaknazrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:07 PM   #8
Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraturtle0
If I do that, can I just set the truss rod in the slot and glue in a fillet? Do I even need to worry about having a fillet?

Yes, put the fillet in. It serves 2 purposes;

1) It takes up any extra space. Make sure everything is tight, then plane off the excess fillet material. You can't do that if you just glue the fretboard on directly over top. Excess space is almost guaranteed in that case (and rattling maybe).

2) It spreads the force of the truss rod action over the underside of the fretboard rather than allowing point loading in the middle of your board (maybe cracking it).
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:08 PM   #9
TwoString
AKA Chad

ALGEE!!! Damn nice to see you around these parts again...I've been missing your expert advice.
Pedalboard Build
Patch Cable Tutorial
GT-8 Thread
Slide Clinic
7 Way Strat
LP Intonation Mod
My SRV Rig Thread

I build rigs and custom pedalboards...PM me for help or advice.
TwoString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:06 PM   #10
AlGeeEater
Luthier

What's goin' on dudes?
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
AlGeeEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:07 PM   #11
Jeff_Wiedlandt

WOAH! AlGee is back

were have u been
Jeff_Wiedlandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:22 PM   #12
CorduroyEW
UG's pickup winder

If you have not gotten the truss rod yet then get a hot rod. They are much better.

If you are stuck with the one you linked us to then you have to work with what you got. The truss rod is called a compression rod.

You have to measure out how long you want the rod to be.
Cut it the right size
Thread the rod
Drill a hole for the anchor
Then come the tricky part. You have to rout a channel for the truss rod. That sounds easy but the channel has to be deeper in the middle than it is at the ends. You also want to make the whole thing as deep as you can because the closer the rod is to the back of the neck, the better it will work. So rout as deep as you can but make sure that when you are finished carving the neck there is at least 1/8" wood behind the truss rod.

Then put the truss rod in and glue a strip over the top
Don't glue the rod, to the neck.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:00 PM   #13
Ultraturtle0
UG's Headcrab

I just finished. Well, I have to glue the strip in, but that's it.

Thanks a lot guys!

EDIT: Hey AlGee!

Archaeology

Rate This Thread: