Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-13-2007, 08:52 AM   #21
TwoString
AKA Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyDXMG
I havea 2 channel valveking head, any idea if the gt8 will work with it to switch for me?

Great thread BTW i have been contemplating a gt8 for months and you have sealed the deal for me. its just what im looking for,. the amp models WILL remain off for prolly all its life in my possesion. How do I get this for 200 at guitar center......beg and cry poverty for a while and flash 200 cash?????

Sadly, the switching function will not work without a little modification. Since the footswitch for that amp runs off of a dual logic connection (stereo, or TRS jack/plug) it won't work properly with the GT-8 switching function. What you can do, however, is build a cheap splitter. Get the following...
Plastic Project Box
1 Stereo 1/4" jack
2 Mono 1/4" jacks
Wire
Soldering Iron (if you don't already have one)
Rosin Core Solder (if you don't already have it)
All you would have to do drill 3 holes in the plastic project box and mount the jacks inside. Now comes the wiring...

1. Wire the sleeve from the stereo jack to the sleeves of both mono jacks.
2. Wire the tip of the stereo jack to the tip of one of the mono jacks.
3. Wire the ring of the stereo jack to the tip of the other mono jack.

You have now split the wiring for the Valveking footswitch. You will have to experiment to find out which jack now controls the channel switching. After you figure that out, just run a mono 1/4" jumper cable from the splitter to the GT-8. You can make a footswitch for the boost function, or I can draw up a little schematic and a parts list for you to build it all within one box. It's pretty easy to do. This way you'll have full control over your channel switching from the GT-8, but you'll have to switch your boost on/off with a separate footswitch (if you even use the boost function...you might not have a need to after you get the GT-8).

If you do buy the GT-8, this option will work just fine for channel switching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_rising
Yeah...i wish i could get it for 200 too!!! But no MISTER!!! Go break your back in a consturction yard all summer to give some stupid music-shop guy 400 euros!! Damn...

That sucks. You can still try and haggle though, or go used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboy_04
hey two string, how would you say this compares to the vox tonelab?
i went to guitarcenter to try some pedals (podxt live,digitech and vox) and the vox won, but i didnt have time to try the boss

Didn't really like the Vox too much. If they moved up to better samples and made the preamp tube an actual functional item instead of a gimmick, it would be a better unit. It's good as is, but I still feel it's limited when compared to the GT-8. The one good thing it's got going for it is it's stupid simple to use without having to read the manual.
Pedalboard Build
Patch Cable Tutorial
GT-8 Thread
Slide Clinic
7 Way Strat
LP Intonation Mod
My SRV Rig Thread

I build rigs and custom pedalboards...PM me for help or advice.
TwoString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:07 AM   #22
KazVH100R
Caffeine Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoString
Not as such, no. You're talking about EQ curves, not true tonal response. I'm an advocate of digital technology and feel it has it's place in all music, but I for sure know that there is no such thing as "Line6 tone". Digital is a different beast. It allows you to create brand new, vastly different tones from scratch. With the GT-8, I could create completely different amplifier and effects sounds just by building my own custom models based on several parameters from other amp models. The options are nearly endless, but I would never call it "GT-8 tone" because it's something that's not unique to the GT-8. It's unique to the user, which is a better option any day. Back to the EQ curve concept...it would be a unique Line6 tone if that EQ curve couldn't be replicated anywhere else. Since that's not the case, I wouldn't call the Insane model a unique Line6 tone.

Just in case you misread me, I wan't laughing at you but rather your reaction to the guy you quoted.

Not sure what you are talking about though. Your post doesn't make sense to me. It sounds like you want Line 6 to make a guitar not to sound like a guitar. That's called a synth. Please define what you mean by tonal response. Not trying to pick a fight, I just really don't know what you mean.
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C

Last edited by KazVH100R : 07-13-2007 at 10:10 AM.
KazVH100R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:21 AM   #23
TwoString
AKA Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazVH100R
Just in case you misread me, I wan't laughing at you but rather your reaction to the guy you quoted.

Not sure what you are talking about though. Your post doesn't make sense to me. It sounds like you want Line 6 to make a guitar not to sound like a guitar. That's called a synth. Please define what you mean by tonal response. Not trying to pick a fight, I just really don't know what you mean.

No harm no foul...I hate trying to communicate over forums and email because people just can't get a sense of your tone (angry, calm, etc).

The entire modeling world basically forces your guitar response into a preset EQ curve based upon the frequency response of whatever amplifier/effect that was modeled. Sometimes this can be a variable EQ curve or matrix (phase or chorus effects). While this can be considered "tone" depending on your definition, I don't see it as tone. It's hard to explain.

Modelers are tone calculators. They analize your incoming guitar signal and make note of the incoming frequency curves. After picking apart that frequency curve, it says "I'm going to have to bump up the 825Mhz range to make the incoming signal match the desired model and output effect" because the Marshall model you have turned on has a stronger output around that frequency and your incoming guitar signal does not have that range naturally, or at least on the note that you're feeding into it. The guitar produces the frequency, but not as strongly as others. The same goes for frequencies that the modeled amplifier doesn't produce as much. Say we're feeding a bass heavy signal into the modeler from a Les Paul. If you're trying to model a 5150, the modeler is going to shelf that low end a bit to make it fit the measured frequency curve from the 5150.

This is at least my understanding of the technology. I could be completely wrong, but in the modeling community, this is the common understanding of how the technology actually works.
Pedalboard Build
Patch Cable Tutorial
GT-8 Thread
Slide Clinic
7 Way Strat
LP Intonation Mod
My SRV Rig Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 12:04 PM   #24
rickmeister
Porchmonkey

Have you ever tried hooking up a Boss GT8 to one of those 20 tiny Marshall amps, I think they're called MT2 or something? Can you get a pretty respectable tone by doing this, as you have a really crap but a very good amp modelling pedal?
rickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:59 PM   #25
TwoString
AKA Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmeister
Have you ever tried hooking up a Boss GT8 to one of those 20 tiny Marshall amps, I think they're called MT2 or something? Can you get a pretty respectable tone by doing this, as you have a really crap but a very good amp modelling pedal?

The results would only be as good as the last piece of the chain. If the mini amp sounds like crap on it's own, anything through it will sound like crap. The same goes for anything else in an effects chain. You can have an RMC wah, Fulltone Fulldrive, and a TC Electronics chorus, but if the last pedal in the chain is a cheap plastic no name delay pedal that's poorly shielded and noisy, then the end result is going to be a signal that's noisy and buzzy and overall junk. See what I'm saying?

Even though the GT-8 can produce good tones, what you finally plug the unit into is going to have a very large effect on the sound you hear.
Pedalboard Build
Patch Cable Tutorial
GT-8 Thread
Slide Clinic
7 Way Strat
LP Intonation Mod
My SRV Rig Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 07:38 AM   #26
fuzzyDXMG
Ug's Cabinetbuilder

2 string, I must give thanks on your Unbiased advice! Thanks 1,000,000
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
fuzzyDXMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:52 AM   #27
musicfreak003
UG Freak

hey, two string, it sounds like ur pretty good with multi effects, so can u help me? right now i have a fender frontman 15 g which sounds like crap and i cant get a new amp until in one or two years, so i've been looking for a cheap multi effects unit to mess around with and also have good amp models so i can experiment with different amps and find out wat kinda amp i rly want lol. the problem is, i dont want a huge pedalboard-like multi effects unit like the gt8 or pod xt live, so i was kinda thinking i should get the pod xt. should i?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
musicfreak003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:59 AM   #28
rainbow_rising
UG's Blackmore fan

Try some digitech...rp 350..should be good enuf...
Epi Les Paul Standard 03'(w/Dimarzio Super Distortion + Tone Zone both split)
Kustom Dual 30RC
Boss Gt-8
Boss MD-2 (lost it somewhere)
Digitech Rp-200a (wish i lost it...)
rainbow_rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:07 AM   #29
musicfreak003
UG Freak

ok thnx ill look into it...also, 2 string, is it true that u can get a pod xt (i think im pretty set on this+a FBV foot controller, unless the digitec changes my mind)at guitar center for 200 dollars? cuz im gonna love u forever if it is..lol and one last thing, would it be possible to re wire my amp so that the speaker is connected directly to the pod xt and the actual amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
musicfreak003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #30
rainbow_rising
UG's Blackmore fan

(i know you asked 2 string about this) The Pod Xt, if combined with the Footswitch is FAR better than the Digi...But, i guess once again ill have to say the phrase you hear a bizillion times a day in UG..."Depends on your cash!!!!!" Where i come from,, The Digi is what? 180-200 bucks...The POd...around 300 + footswitch make it a rough 450-500 bucks.
Epi Les Paul Standard 03'(w/Dimarzio Super Distortion + Tone Zone both split)
Kustom Dual 30RC
Boss Gt-8
Boss MD-2 (lost it somewhere)
Digitech Rp-200a (wish i lost it...)
rainbow_rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:14 PM   #31
TwoString
AKA Chad

It all depends on how good your haggle is. I've walked into Guitar Center on many occasion and said bluntly "I have $_______ in my pocket, I need ________, let's do it". That's how I know you can get them to come down. If you're a kid, they probably won't make the deal. If you have a parent go in and do the deal for you, you'll get it. Seriously, don't bring any more than $250 if you're going to buy a GT-8 or POD XTL. Bring cash money, no credit or debit card. They'll squeeze you for more if you've got a CC or DC. They'll honor the price because they've sold them for that price in the past as recent as the 4th of July sale ($200 advertised for the GT-8).

I can't stress that enough...haggle haggle haggle. If you need to, cheat.

To secure a low price on a Valve Jr., I called Guitar Center for a friend of mine and told them I was a guitar tech for a band that had driven in for a quick show and that their amps were in a truck that broke down and couldn't make the show. I told them I needed 4 Valve Jr. amps because both guitarists had their pedalboards in the van with them and ran stereo to a pair of Valve Juniors. I just sounded like I was panicked and said "these guys need 4 of these amps in the next 2 hours or we've got no show. I've already borrowed speaker cabs, but no one is willing to loan any amps". I told the guy that the band only had about $300. We made the deal over the phone. My friend walked into guitar center about an hour later and said he was there to pick up just one because they secured 3 more of the amps from other people and that he wanted the agreed upon price. He walked out with the amp for $75 flat, no tax.

If you haggle with these guys, they WILL come down, sometimes just a bit, sometimes a lot.

As far as the Frontman situation...a GT-8 or POD will not make the amp sound any better. It's possible to use it, but you have to understand that the end result will be limited by your amp. You can always save a little bit more money and buy a small, cheap keyboard amp. That will work wonders with the modeler. And no, there's no way to wire the modeler to your amp speaker, although if you've got a pair of powered computer speakers laying around, you can use that as a poor man's practice solution for now. Those speakers have the range to cover the output of the modeler just fine, although high volumes will sound horrible.
Pedalboard Build
Patch Cable Tutorial
GT-8 Thread
Slide Clinic
7 Way Strat
LP Intonation Mod
My SRV Rig Thread

Last edited by TwoString : 07-14-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:21 PM   #32
marvelboy_04

hey 2 string, ive been thinking, and basicall the thing is, the only reason id get a processor is because i have to start playing with one straight through the pa at my youth group.
the thing is, im on a limited budget and that one guitarist that plays up there already has a gt-8, so i cant really get a gt-8 because
1.i wouldnt want to get mine and the other guitarists mixed up
2. i dont want to copy him, and
3. again, limited budget, so i was wondering what your thoughts on the boss gt-6 was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

marvelboy_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:23 PM   #33
TwoString
AKA Chad

Quote:
hey 2 string, ive been thinking, and basicall the thing is, the only reason id get a processor is because i have to start playing with one straight through the pa at my youth group.
the thing is, im on a limited budget and that one guitarist that plays up there already has a gt-8, so i cant really get a gt-8 because
1.i wouldnt want to get mine and the other guitarists mixed up
2. i dont want to copy him, and
3. again, limited budget, so i was wondering what your thoughts on the boss gt-6 was?

For basic tones, the GT-6 is a great unit. I prefer having a certain amount of "freak out" available, which the GT-8 provides. If you're worried about getting your GT-8 mixed up with his GT-8, get some masking tape, stick it on the unit and write your name on it. Otherwise, I would get a silver paint marker and write my name on the bottom of the unit.

And you wouldn't be copying him. Gear isn't unique (how many people on the planet have Les Pauls? Are they just copying Les Paul himself?). There isn't a rule in music that says once someone has claimed a certain piece of gear, no one else is allowed to have it. Save up a little money, haggle haggle haggle and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Pedalboard Build
Patch Cable Tutorial
GT-8 Thread
Slide Clinic
7 Way Strat
LP Intonation Mod
My SRV Rig Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 11:29 AM   #34
marvelboy_04

if i were to get thw gt-6, what are the main differences between it and the gt-8?

Quote:

Old 07-16-2007, 12:14 PM   #35
TwoString
AKA Chad

Quote:
if i were to get thw gt-6, what are the main differences between it and the gt-8?

The GT-8 adds auto wah, tone modify, sitar simulator, octave, rotary speaker sim, sound hold and a sub delay feature. It also adds a second effects processor engine to process two preamp sims at the same time. This second effects also processes all of the right side stereo effects when they are in use. The GT-8 also allows for two channels per patch, which gives you the ability to change from clean to overdrive without changing patches. There are far more amp and effects models to choose from. The GT-8 preamps add a solo feature, and you have a footswitchable effects loop as well. The GT-8 is also a prime choice since the compressor is no longer taking up one of your effects blocks. The GT-8 also has the ability to switch amp channels (only one) with your patch changes. These are just the few I can think about right now, but these are the main reasons to go with a GT-8 over a GT-6. The main selling point for me to go with the GT-8 was the amp channel switching, external loop function and true stereo processing.
Pedalboard Build
Patch Cable Tutorial
GT-8 Thread
Slide Clinic
7 Way Strat
LP Intonation Mod
My SRV Rig Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:55 PM   #36
marvelboy_04

do other processors come with an effects loop? and thanks for all the answers.
i still am kind of leaning towards the vox though, due to the fact i have a valvetronix amp, and it seems easy to use.

Quote:

Old 07-17-2007, 08:43 AM   #37
TwoString
AKA Chad

Quote:
do other processors come with an effects loop? and thanks for all the answers.
i still am kind of leaning towards the vox though, due to the fact i have a valvetronix amp, and it seems easy to use.

The Vox has an "insert" loop, but just like the effects routing features, you're going to be limited on how you can use the insert loop. You can't move effects around in the Vox as well as you can in the GT-8. The POD XTL does not have an external effects loop.
Pedalboard Build
Patch Cable Tutorial
GT-8 Thread
Slide Clinic
7 Way Strat
LP Intonation Mod
My SRV Rig Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:39 AM   #38
Mark G
UG Nerd

You mentioned installing the GT-8 in a loop bypass? I'm not sure what that is. Is the processor itself true bypass? What I am basically getting at is if this processors sucks tone or adds feedback. I am considering buying a bad horsie wah 2 and an ISP Decimator. However, if the GT-8 can do both these things as well.....it would be the cheaper option. Somehow I just think these single effects will produce less feedback and suck less tone. But I don't know.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:10 AM   #39
TwoString
AKA Chad

^Okay, I'll start by saying this. There is this myth about tone suck. "Don't do this, it will suck your tone." What is your tone? I think that is the more important question. What is your tone goal? What sound are you trying to achieve? Adding a device that serves that end goal, despite whatever "tone suck" someone perceives in it, is more important than avoiding the dreaded "tone suck". If you don't know what your tone is, then how do you know you're having is "sucked" away? Case in point, John Petrucci. The man uses a ton of digital effects processor. Would you say he has horrible tone? Granted, he has bypass switchers that remove some of them from the chain when they're not enabled, but when they are engaged, does his tone get worse? No, it's still as crisp and perfect as it was without the unit, and his rig is about as far as you can get from true bypass.

The only reason I can find that anyone would perceive the GT-8 to have tone suck is that they don't know how to set it up properly. I thought the same thing of the unit whenever I switched from my Fender to the new Mesa. After resetting the unit to factory state and starting from scratch with everything, I was able to dial in the unit and make it completely transparent. I've told this story many times, but I tested this theory with the GT-8 and Mesa. I connected the GT-8 in the effects loop of the Mesa (Mesa effects send into the GT-8 effects return, and the GT-8 left output back into the Mesa effects return. I did this because the data converters are different on the normal input stage than they are at the effects return stage).

After dialing in basic levels with all of the effects off on the unit, I was able to engage and disengage the Mesa effects loop. Surprise surprise, no difference in tone. Even with the signal going through the digital converters on the GT-8, there was no difference in my volume level or tone. That's when you know you're in the right place. Once you're there, start setting up ONE EFFECT AT A TIME. Check and recheck your levels as well as the level meters on the GT-8 to make sure you're not pegging the meter any higher than 70%. ALL DIGITAL EFFECTS UNITS HAVE TO BE SET UP LIKE THIS!!!! I cannot stress that enough. The TC Electronic G-Force is not immune to this...yes, you can make a $1500 rack processor sound like crap if you don't know how to set it up.

I guess the point I'm trying to get at is this...if you don't know what you're doing, yes, the unit will "suck" you tone, but it's not the fault of the unit. The problem exists within the end user.

As far as your concerns over feedback, it depends on what you mean by feedback. The GT-8 has the ability to act as an amplification stage. This is no different than a signal booster, distortion or overdrive pedal. If you are not working with the concept of unity gain (where all gain stages have neutral signal amplification, I.E. no gain over a certain threshold) then the rig will produce a lot of feedback. That is why you need to keep all of your levels down below that 70% mark on the meter. Once you get to your amp, you can boost your levels, but if you're sending out to the GT-8 again via 4 cable method, you will need to dial it all back down again before you hit the GT-8 so you don't overload the data converters.

It is a lot to keep in mind, but it is quite easy to acomplish once you understand the concept. I have learned that this idea also applies to analog pedals as well. You can get sweeter tones by not slamming them with hotter input levels. A low level, low impedence signal will sound better than a high level, high impedence signal. That's my opinion and despite at how this entire post is worded, it is not fact. This is just how I see it and how it works for me.

About the Morley wah...I hated it. I found no usable sounds with it and ended up using the wah on the GT-8 for everything. Once you get into building your own effects and using the settings on the GT-8, you'll probably find that the GT-8 has far more range than the Morley. Same thing goes for the noise gate. The GT-8 has a pretty decent noise gate built in, but you have to take the time to understand it and set it up properly, which means knowing how the noise gate works and what a decent threshold and release setting is.
Pedalboard Build
Patch Cable Tutorial
GT-8 Thread
Slide Clinic
7 Way Strat
LP Intonation Mod
My SRV Rig Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 12:59 PM   #40
rush4life
UG's Alex Lifeson

Just wondering if a Peavey Classic 30 would go well with the GT-8, (if anyone knows, I'd appreciate it!). I like the sound of the amp, but I want some more higher gain tones, would this help a lot? I was also looking for a wah, so would the wah here be a good one? (As opposed to a Dunlop single pedal, for example,). Thanks in advance.

Rate This Thread: