Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-27-2009, 09:55 AM   #421
Marvil
Råck änd Råll!

I need some help, im trying to get a machine head type of sound out of my gt8.
Can anyone help me?
Old 03-30-2009, 09:02 AM   #422
gitaarproff

ok so i own a gt8 for half a year and love the tones etc., use the 4 cable method, etc (not relevant)

the problem is that i want to record but the usb-midi won't let me, however the cable does work with my keyboard

how can i get the gt8 to record? do i have to buy a new cable?
gitaarproff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:35 AM   #423
TwoString
AKA Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitaarproff
ok so i own a gt8 for half a year and love the tones etc., use the 4 cable method, etc (not relevant)

the problem is that i want to record but the usb-midi won't let me, however the cable does work with my keyboard

how can i get the gt8 to record? do i have to buy a new cable?

The MIDI ports are for simple change commands only. If you want to record, it will have to be from the analog 1/4" outs or the SPDIF output.
Pedalboard Build
Patch Cable Tutorial
GT-8 Thread
Slide Clinic
7 Way Strat
LP Intonation Mod
My SRV Rig Thread

I build rigs and custom pedalboards...PM me for help or advice.
TwoString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:52 AM   #424
Mark G
UG Nerd

I recently purchased the GT-8 to take with me and practise at drummers house, etc. Without having to lug around my ENGL and rack. Works great for that!

Not so much for recording great tones though...so far my ENGL Blackmore + impulses is kicking the GT-8s ass all over the place.

Great unit for headphone/computer speaker practise for me, but nothing more.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:43 AM   #425
gitaarproff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoString
The MIDI ports are for simple change commands only. If you want to record, it will have to be from the analog 1/4" outs or the SPDIF output.

thanks

any suggestions for a cable?

EDIT: and where do i plug it in the computer? i think it wouldn't fit in my mic in?

Last edited by gitaarproff : 03-30-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:07 AM   #426
toyboxmonster
lost in other worlds

Does this thing has a USB output?
toyboxmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #427
gitaarproff

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyboxmonster
Does this thing has a USB output?

no but if you want to connect to a pc you need to buy either a midi-usb cable or midi interface
Old 03-31-2009, 02:20 PM   #428
TwoString
AKA Chad

Quote:
thanks

any suggestions for a cable?

EDIT: and where do i plug it in the computer? i think it wouldn't fit in my mic in?

Some sound cards have a SPDIF input that will get you going.
Pedalboard Build
Patch Cable Tutorial
GT-8 Thread
Slide Clinic
7 Way Strat
LP Intonation Mod
My SRV Rig Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:25 AM   #429
shiftybandit

hi.
i had been using a single cable from my gt8 into my effects return on my randall mts all tube head and bypassing the preamp. i have recently decided that i want to use the randall's preamp for my sound as i have some great distortion modules. i have set up a few patches using 4 cable method + the amp control cable:
clean - bypasses the amp's preamp w/ a little chorus
left channel - switches to the left channel on the amp
right channel - amp's right channel
i have not added any of the gt8's preamp models to the left and right channels yet. i have a modded tubescreamer that i have used with the amp to tighten up the low end as it's a little flubby/loose. what i really want to accomplish is to use the gt8 to tighten up the low end to replace the tubescreamer and when pressing the patch pedal that i am currently on to add effects and/or boost volume for solos. i currently have the gt8 set up globally for the patches to switch to solo when the pedal is pressed again within a patch. since i have no preamp set up on the left and right amp channel patches, when i press the pedal again, it does nothing. i am guessing that i need to add a preamp with some slight gain to act like the tubescreamer and to give me the ability to toggle between channel a and b or use the solo feature. there was a posting on this forum where someone had asked how to add effects to channel b but not channel a and the response was to use assigns but i do not understand how to do that without making it global. i would like to be able to add phaser and a volume boost when i switch to channel b of a patch for example but only within that patch and not as a global setting. thanks in advance for any help and sorry for the long post.

Last edited by shiftybandit : 04-01-2009 at 07:30 AM.
shiftybandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #430
TwoString
AKA Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftybandit
hi.
i had been using a single cable from my gt8 into my effects return on my randall mts all tube head and bypassing the preamp. i have recently decided that i want to use the randall's preamp for my sound as i have some great distortion modules. i have set up a few patches using 4 cable method + the amp control cable:
clean - bypasses the amp's preamp w/ a little chorus
left channel - switches to the left channel on the amp
right channel - amp's right channel
i have not added any of the gt8's preamp models to the left and right channels yet. i have a modded tubescreamer that i have used with the amp to tighten up the low end as it's a little flubby/loose. what i really want to accomplish is to use the gt8 to tighten up the low end to replace the tubescreamer and when pressing the patch pedal that i am currently on to add effects and/or boost volume for solos. i currently have the gt8 set up globally for the patches to switch to solo when the pedal is pressed again within a patch. since i have no preamp set up on the left and right amp channel patches, when i press the pedal again, it does nothing. i am guessing that i need to add a preamp with some slight gain to act like the tubescreamer and to give me the ability to toggle between channel a and b or use the solo feature. there was a posting on this forum where someone had asked how to add effects to channel b but not channel a and the response was to use assigns but i do not understand how to do that without making it global. i would like to be able to add phaser and a volume boost when i switch to channel b of a patch for example but only within that patch and not as a global setting. thanks in advance for any help and sorry for the long post.

As far as I can remember, you cannot assign the number pedal as a target to trigger the overdrive. It is also not an assignable target in the assigns menu. If my memory serves me, the number pedals can only be assigned globaly to channel change, tuner mute or solo boost. While I haven't used one in quite a while, I'm pretty sure I was able to have effects isolated to individual channels, but I could be wrong. It's been a few years (I keep thinking I need to pick up another GT-8, but my huge analog pedalboard is too nice, although I've been edging back into the digital realm with a couple of Line6 modelers).
Pedalboard Build
Patch Cable Tutorial
GT-8 Thread
Slide Clinic
7 Way Strat
LP Intonation Mod
My SRV Rig Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #431
gitaarproff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoString
Some sound cards have a SPDIF input that will get you going.

thanks, but my pc doesn't have spdif in or out

any other ways?
Old 04-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #432
TwoString
AKA Chad

Quote:
thanks, but my pc doesn't have spdif in or out

any other ways?

Audio in....you can do it with a standard guitar cable (it will be mono) and use a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter.
Pedalboard Build
Patch Cable Tutorial
GT-8 Thread
Slide Clinic
7 Way Strat
LP Intonation Mod
My SRV Rig Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 01:34 AM   #433
Bostonrocks
UG God

I am really considering getting rid of some of my effects and getting a GT8 in place of them.

I've got a AC15 to run it through. good idea? bad idea?

got a couple of questions.

1. how versatile is it (really?)
2. does it really sound GREAT?
3. Will it replace my other pedals well?
4. I plan on using this mostley for effects not OD's but how are the OD's and amp modles?
5. Is it worth it?

I play everything from Classic rock (Boston, Queen) to Blues (Clapton, Bonamassa) To metal (Metallica, Skillet) and all sorts of stuff in between. I really want it for the Delay, chorus, phaser, harmonizer. and effects in general. so will it sound okay with the AC15 as it doesn't have an effects loop.

also twostring would you be willing to help me set it up to some extent if I decide to grab one?
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Bostonrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:26 PM   #434
QplQyer

I'm having some problems with the 4 cable method. I recently purchased an ENGL Invader 100 and am trying to get my GT-8 to work with the 4 cable method. Unfortunately, after hooking everything up correctly the sound I get when the GT-8 is on a patch with no effects, preamp, etc. on is not the same as what I get with my guitar directly plugged into the amp. It looks as if the signal being fed into the amp is weaker than the signal being input in the GT-8, which makes the gain go down.
This is being confirmed when I check the levels on my GT-8: the levels on the fx after the input are lower than the level on the input of the GT-8. This is quite strange as the measured level on the output matches the level on the input, unless this is normal behaviour.

Anyone has any suggestions or ideas what could help?
QplQyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:51 PM   #435
Mark G
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonrocks
I am really considering getting rid of some of my effects and getting a GT8 in place of them.

I've got a AC15 to run it through. good idea? bad idea?

got a couple of questions.

1. how versatile is it (really?)
2. does it really sound GREAT?
3. Will it replace my other pedals well?
4. I plan on using this mostley for effects not OD's but how are the OD's and amp modles?
5. Is it worth it?

I play everything from Classic rock (Boston, Queen) to Blues (Clapton, Bonamassa) To metal (Metallica, Skillet) and all sorts of stuff in between. I really want it for the Delay, chorus, phaser, harmonizer. and effects in general. so will it sound okay with the AC15 as it doesn't have an effects loop.

also twostring would you be willing to help me set it up to some extent if I decide to grab one?

Heya buddy!

1. I'm going to assume you want it just for the effects, and not for the amp modelling. The effects are fine, perfectly viable for live application. They are a tweakers dream, you have a ton of effects with a ton of variations and all the parameters you would expect to tweak. Downside is, you will need to tweak it to sound good. Just look at it as a bunch of boss stompboxes in one.

2. Nah, its still a multi-effects unit. Single pedals sound better plain and simple. That said, it probably does have the best sounding effects for a multi effects unit in its price range.

3. Not sure about this, if you are a tone ***** you'll probably crave your old pedals again. However, if you're a live player tapdancing isn't really an option. You will probably get better tone using a midi switching system for your single pedals.

4. The amp models are pretty bland and lifeless. Cleans and crunch a bit better than the high gain ones imo. If you are after amp models Line6 floorbased units will do a better job. The OD's in the GT-8 are fine though, I use it live without problems. Like all the other effects in the GT-8 its not the best sounding, but gets the job done.

5. Are you playing live and you can't tapdance? Sure, its pretty cheap these days and it'll serve you well. Are you a tone *****? Better look into a midi switching system to switch your pedals instead. Shouldn't be that much more expensive, but will require more space and cable.

If you grab one hit me up, I can work through the settings and parameters with you..but you might want to google some presets.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #436
Bostonrocks
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark G
Heya buddy!

1. I'm going to assume you want it just for the effects, and not for the amp modelling. The effects are fine, perfectly viable for live application. They are a tweakers dream, you have a ton of effects with a ton of variations and all the parameters you would expect to tweak. Downside is, you will need to tweak it to sound good. Just look at it as a bunch of boss stompboxes in one.

2. Nah, its still a multi-effects unit. Single pedals sound better plain and simple. That said, it probably does have the best sounding effects for a multi effects unit in its price range.

3. Not sure about this, if you are a tone ***** you'll probably crave your old pedals again. However, if you're a live player tapdancing isn't really an option. You will probably get better tone using a midi switching system for your single pedals.

4. The amp models are pretty bland and lifeless. Cleans and crunch a bit better than the high gain ones imo. If you are after amp models Line6 floorbased units will do a better job. The OD's in the GT-8 are fine though, I use it live without problems. Like all the other effects in the GT-8 its not the best sounding, but gets the job done.

5. Are you playing live and you can't tapdance? Sure, its pretty cheap these days and it'll serve you well. Are you a tone *****? Better look into a midi switching system to switch your pedals instead. Shouldn't be that much more expensive, but will require more space and cable.

If you grab one hit me up, I can work through the settings and parameters with you..but you might want to google some presets.

maybe I should just go the midi route. I dunno. I was very impressed with the GT8/10 the last time I tried it out. we'll see what happens though.
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Bostonrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #437
Mark G
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonrocks
maybe I should just go the midi route. I dunno. I was very impressed with the GT8/10 the last time I tried it out. we'll see what happens though.

If you liked it thats what matters. Its a shame you don't live nearby, could have given you my GT-8 for a couple of days to try.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:12 AM   #438
Chaoticworks

Pot

Hi guys,

First i would like to thank TwoString for all the details that he has posted since 2007.
I am late to this forum.. but appreciate the knowledge you have provided through the whole of the Boss GT-8.. Cheers.. I had a slight delay which pedal to go for and it answered my question. But just a doubt with GT-10 or GT-10B and GT-8. which one is better..

Certainly GT-10B might be better. But I ve heard in couple of forums that the processor is not good for the clarity and has board problems..Not as good as GT-8...Probably i was on the wrong forum.

I went crazy with GT-8 cause of the look and the hardwork to build on the processor to understand and clarity where i got a peak look on my friends GT processor. And also GT-8 is old now and outdated where i stay. I have got a vendor who is ready to provide me with the GT-8. As of with GT-10B it is available .

You guys might have better thoughts of it. please let me know your suggestion..

Regards
Chaoticworks.
Chaoticworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:47 AM   #439
anvladislavmf

can someone share with me some thrash metal settings ?
anvladislavmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #440
resum

can someone share with me some opeth settings ?
resum is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: