Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-17-2007, 01:47 PM   #41
TwoString
AKA Chad

^I liked the GT-8 wah, but I guess I'm not the "norm". The wah worked just fine for me, as did the Mesa amp model for higher gain work. If you've got an effects loop on that Peavey then you're in great shape.
Pedalboard Build
Patch Cable Tutorial
GT-8 Thread
Slide Clinic
7 Way Strat
LP Intonation Mod
My SRV Rig Thread

I build rigs and custom pedalboards...PM me for help or advice.
TwoString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:44 PM   #42
rush4life
UG's Alex Lifeson

Thanks a lot. I'm not that picky about wah really, I don't even mind the Spider II wah, and that amp gets it's fair share of abuse around here. I'm glad you could help me out!
Old 07-17-2007, 05:55 PM   #43
rainbow_rising
UG's Blackmore fan

Hey 2string...since i have finally to get a GT-8 i began reading the manual. To be honest, after reading the first 20 pages my head began to ache. I understood everything i read, but it doesn't seem descriptive enuff at some points. I read somewhere that there was something like an official BOSS GT-8 forum somewhere. Know anything about this?
Epi Les Paul Standard 03'(w/Dimarzio Super Distortion + Tone Zone both split)
Kustom Dual 30RC
Boss Gt-8
Boss MD-2 (lost it somewhere)
Digitech Rp-200a (wish i lost it...)
rainbow_rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:58 PM   #44
Mark G
UG Nerd

Wow, I must say I didn't expect a huge post like that haha. Alright I think I get the idea. It doesn't suck tone (with tone I mean loss of clarity, punch, etc.) because you can dial the unit to compensate for any losses that might occur.

With the feedback I also think I get what you are saying. You're saying that any pedal acts as an amplification stage which naturally produces some feedback. This however can be controlled with yet again, proper dialing in settings. Correct?

Anyway, thanks for making this thread and providing all this information. Great job:p
Old 07-17-2007, 07:35 PM   #45
TwoString
AKA Chad

First, to rainbow_rising

Yes, the manual is a bit hard to take in, but it's because the unit is very complex. The menu system could have been a bit cleaner on the GT-8, but the front panel buttons make it so much easier than it could have been. You really don't get into the hard stuff until you start trying to create multiple assigns for a single patch or when you try to custom design an amp model from the ground up. Then it gets a little crazy. That and having time based effects triggered off of each other or off of the internal sine wave generator...that's about as far out as you can get.

The forum you're thinking about is www.bossgtcentral.com/forum

Now, to Mark G

I tend to write lengthy posts, but better too much information than too little. I'm not content with the standard "Th3 $p7d34 S0Kzorz!!!1111ELEVEN!!!" posts that a great many members of this forum tend to create. If I'm going to give anyone advice, then you're damn well going to know why I believe what I believe.

A follow up about the tone suck conversation...you have to be able to pick out what part of the tonal spectrum the added device is "sucking". Are you loosing treble? Mids? Is the signal showing signs of latency? Those are the questions you need to think about. I guess my ideas have just cemented in my brain from years of troubleshooting rigs for people. There are ways around just about everything. Too much treble loss...change a resistor or capacitor in something, change the impedence, just change something. It usually comes down to a single component in a single pedal somewhere in the chain. If you're using a lot of digital processors or a ton of stomp boxes, the easiest answer is to just convert your signal to low impedence at the start of the chain (just after your guitar). I see it as reducing the "mass" of your signal. Doing this has a tendency to make your guitar seem more present when the signal finally leaves your speakers.

A subject for another day I suppose...

About amplification stages...there are some devices that don't amplify your signal. A delay pedal for example. If there is any amplification, it is designed into the pedal to make up for signal loss from processing. This usually only takes place in digital pedals. There are some pedals that will show quite a bit of signal loss, like the Boss TR-2 Tremolo. A resistor change takes care of that though. There's a lot to be thought of when it comes to tone and signal, but after you learn and study and troubleshoot and go through so much trial and error, you find out that it's pointless. You will encounter signal loss, you will encounter "tone suck". The lesson...it just doesn't matter. As long as you are happy with the end result, jam on it. The only place you can end up is in Eric Johnson's shoes worrying about how the bottom plate of your Fuzz Face is held on ("rubber bands make it sound better...no screws").
Pedalboard Build
Patch Cable Tutorial
GT-8 Thread
Slide Clinic
7 Way Strat
LP Intonation Mod
My SRV Rig Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 09:38 AM   #46
rainbow_rising
UG's Blackmore fan

Hey twostring, there was this guy on the Forum and he mentioned somthing about Input Level Value Adjustment. http://bossgtcentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2946 How does this happen?
Kustom Dual 30RC
Boss Gt-8
Old 07-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #47
TwoString
AKA Chad

Ah, Perdi...you'll do well to listen to everything that man says.

To access the menu to adjust those settings, press "system" then press the parameter right button until you see "SYS: Input Level". You can also adjust the input presence to adjust the overall brightness or balance (or "tone suck" as some of the "experts" say...hehehe) of the unit. You shouldn't really have to make adjustments here unless your pickups have insanely high output. We're talking about EMG 85s or Duncan Invaders here. If you're constantly pegging the input meter, then drop the input level to about -4 to start out with and keep dropping until you hit that magical 70% mark on the meter.

If you're reading Perdi's primer, then you've already got yourself off to a great start.
Pedalboard Build
Patch Cable Tutorial
GT-8 Thread
Slide Clinic
7 Way Strat
LP Intonation Mod
My SRV Rig Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:36 AM   #48
TTC

Well I used to use my gt8 as a pre-amp and connected it's output to the effects return of my ENGL amp .
I did this so I would have almost no feedback and way more gain then with the ENGL pre-amp.

But now I kinda got spoiled by the tube pre-amp sound and I can't really get that out of my gt8 ( might be just me not being able to work with it) .
So nowadays my GT8 is in the effects loop of my amp , with 3 patches

1. standard , just a bypass with an noise suppressor

2. solo setting , delay/reverb/chorus added into the mix with the noise suppressor

3. chugachuga metal setting , which a achieved by turning on the equalizer with a more metal oriented setting, you can't believe the difference this makes. It makes my thunder sound more like an powerball.

I can't stress the last part enough, learn to use an equalizer.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:22 AM   #49
TwoString
AKA Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTC
Well I used to use my gt8 as a pre-amp and connected it's output to the effects return of my ENGL amp .
I did this so I would have almost no feedback and way more gain then with the ENGL pre-amp.

But now I kinda got spoiled by the tube pre-amp sound and I can't really get that out of my gt8 ( might be just me not being able to work with it) .
So nowadays my GT8 is in the effects loop of my amp , with 3 patches

1. standard , just a bypass with an noise suppressor

2. solo setting , delay/reverb/chorus added into the mix with the noise suppressor

3. chugachuga metal setting , which a achieved by turning on the equalizer with a more metal oriented setting, you can't believe the difference this makes. It makes my thunder sound more like an powerball.

I can't stress the last part enough, learn to use an equalizer.

Congrats on the setup there.

The GT-8 EQ is very complex, but it's worth learning to use it. You can achieve so much tonal range with the EQ alone. Like I've said before and like TTC above, you can use the GT-8 with a full tube rig and have amazing tone without a lot of gear. I'm missing my GT-8 more and more with every post in this thread, but I won't buy another one. I'll save up and buy a GT-Pro instead. The GT-8 can do just about everything the GT-Pro can do, but there are better input/output options on the GT-Pro. I've been dreaming about a GT-Pro+GCX Switch setup ever since I got the Mesa Roadster.
Pedalboard Build
Patch Cable Tutorial
GT-8 Thread
Slide Clinic
7 Way Strat
LP Intonation Mod
My SRV Rig Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 03:33 PM   #50
nonamemark
Master of Everything

im ordering the gt-8 next week, have bills to pay this week, grrrrrr. so i donwloaded the manual, just read the first few pages. it says something about a battery that powers its memory circuits when its switched off, what type of battery and why does it need it? oh and can you mess around with the distortion/other effects much?

Last edited by nonamemark : 07-19-2007 at 03:36 PM.
nonamemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:40 PM   #51
rainbow_rising
UG's Blackmore fan

Nonamemark
Yes, you can really get lost in this abyss called GT-8...
Kustom Dual 30RC
Boss Gt-8
Old 07-19-2007, 03:50 PM   #52
nonamemark
Master of Everything

yea, was reading more, think ill leave it for the night, its the wheel of time for me! a bit easier to read!
Old 07-19-2007, 04:00 PM   #53
nonamemark
Master of Everything

nice one, rang dad there, he said he could use his credit card...here we go
Old 07-19-2007, 05:22 PM   #54
TwoString
AKA Chad

Just a bit of advice...when it seems to hard to go on and you just want to sell the unit, read the manual. Everything flows from the manual...it's going to be your wax on wax off part of the day.

That and Perdi's primer over on Bossgtcentral.com

Don't worry about the battery. It's a lot like a CMOS battery for a computer...by the time it goes out, it's time to buy a new one anyway. If the older GT units are any indication, the GT-8 battery should last at least 10 years.
Pedalboard Build
Patch Cable Tutorial
GT-8 Thread
Slide Clinic
7 Way Strat
LP Intonation Mod
My SRV Rig Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 04:47 AM   #55
nonamemark
Master of Everything

good stuff, thought it would be an ipod kind of thing with the battery, printed the manual there so i can read throught it at work/home whenever i get the chance. im getting excited now, oh btw does it come with an adapter? and what type of an adapter will i need? just a regular one that can power boss stompboxes? hahaha id say im going to be hounding you with questions twostring when i get it!

EDIT: thomann emailed me back, it comes with an adapter, just looking at the manual now.... jesus!

Last edited by nonamemark : 07-20-2007 at 05:36 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:47 AM   #56
TwoString
AKA Chad

Yes, it comes with a power cable, but you'll want to keep the transformer (the big plastic box part of the power cable) away from your signal wires. The transformer puts out a lot of noise, so put it on the opposite side of your pedalboard or keep it off your board. I was planning a shielded box for my pedalboard at one point just for that reason.
Pedalboard Build
Patch Cable Tutorial
GT-8 Thread
Slide Clinic
7 Way Strat
LP Intonation Mod
My SRV Rig Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 02:59 PM   #57
rainbow_rising
UG's Blackmore fan

oh and something else...does anyone have any interesting idea about how to carry this thing around because as it seems to me...it's either a custom box...or some carry bag. I mean this thing is enormous + heavy as hell. I am buying it next week and i am giging all through out August. Any smart ideas?
Kustom Dual 30RC
Boss Gt-8
Old 07-20-2007, 03:05 PM   #58
TwoString
AKA Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_rising
oh and something else...does anyone have any interesting idea about how to carry this thing around because as it seems to me...it's either a custom box...or some carry bag. I mean this thing is enormous + heavy as hell. I am buying it next week and i am giging all through out August. Any smart ideas?

There is a bag available on bossgtcentral.com. They did it right...a lot of thought went into that bag. If I had the time, I'd build a custom case for you (not for free, of course, but my prices are pretty resonable considering). You can always build one for yourself (see my pedalboard tutorials and build) or buy a cheap road case online.

EDIT - if not, there's always small keyboard bags.
Pedalboard Build
Patch Cable Tutorial
GT-8 Thread
Slide Clinic
7 Way Strat
LP Intonation Mod
My SRV Rig Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 03:11 PM   #59
rainbow_rising
UG's Blackmore fan

Thanx mate...i think i ll check your tutorial and use my hands for something more than playing guitar and...writting lyrics!!:-)
Kustom Dual 30RC
Boss Gt-8
Old 07-20-2007, 05:15 PM   #60
nonamemark
Master of Everything

i ordered mine of thomann and they give a carry bag with it

Rate This Thread: