Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #1
EyeballPaul

Vintage LP clones

So i have a bit of cash left after my recent Strat purchase and was just looking at Vintage LP's and just wondered if anyone has tried one and if they are worth a look?They are super cheap.Are they terrible or decent for the price?How do they stack up against say an Epi?
Thanks in advance
Vintage Lemon Drop LP copy
Fender Blues Jnr
TS808
EyeballPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:17 AM   #2
'DC fan
how did I get here

Vintage as in the company? I've got a Vintage V100 Les Paul, about 5 years old and I prefer it over every epiphone LP i've tried out, the neck is surprisingly thin for a LP but isn't ridiculously thin, if you can deal with it weighing as much as a tank it's worth picking up, the stock pickups are surprisingly good but I swapped them out for a set of EMGs, hardware is decent though the finish on the bridge (mine is gold) is wearing but it plays pretty great, especially for how much it costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
'DC fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:17 AM   #3
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

Some of them are really good, some of them are downright god awful. It even varies among models made by the same manufacturer. Imho, the only ones looking at are Ibanez, Electra and Greco lawsuit era LP clones. I've only played a 70s Ibanez LP clone. It was really good but needed a refret. I wouldn't sink more than like $500 into one, personally.

EDIT; Silly me I forgot Vintage was actually a brand. Yeah I don't know about those.
Gibson RD Silverburst

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Line 6 M13
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Gojira FX 808

Last edited by TheStig1214 : 04-05-2015 at 10:22 AM.
TheStig1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:25 AM   #4
EyeballPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'DC fan
Vintage as in the company? I've got a Vintage V100 Les Paul, about 5 years old and I prefer it over every epiphone LP i've tried out, the neck is surprisingly thin for a LP but isn't ridiculously thin, if you can deal with it weighing as much as a tank it's worth picking up, the stock pickups are surprisingly good but I swapped them out for a set of EMGs, hardware is decent though the finish on the bridge (mine is gold) is wearing but it plays pretty great, especially for how much it costs

Yeah Vintage the brand.So the stock pups are ok?Not muddy at all?Nice clarity?I play mainly clean or with slight o/d.They are really cheap.Saw a 'Lemon Drop' V100 for like 260.I actually like heavy guitars.
Fender Blues Jnr
TS808

Last edited by EyeballPaul : 04-05-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

I don't think I've tried any of the Vintage LPs, but if they have the wilkinson pickups I think they're probably reasonable/decent.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:14 PM   #6
CorrosionMedia
Almost Sane

I can pretty much confirm everything DC Fan said. I've replaced the tuners with a PRS SE set I got dirt cheap, but only because I hate the look of traditional snot green ones. Pickups are decent, nut is good, electronics are fine, hardware is solid.
Overall, I prefer it to pretty much any epiphone I've tried.
The only real down side is the weight, but if you like heavy guitars, you'll love it.

Here's my SoundCloud Page
(Mostly rough demos/protos)
And my Bandcamp
(Much the same, but expensive and covered in bees)
CorrosionMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:02 PM   #7
EyeballPaul

Thanks for your help guys.I'm gonna grab the Lemon Drop one.Reviews are good but i never know wether to trust the reviews on the seller site,Needed some independant opinions.Cheers
Fender Blues Jnr
TS808
Old 04-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #8
T00DEEPBLUE
Illuminati IsRAEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeballPaul
Thanks for your help guys.I'm gonna grab the Lemon Drop one.Reviews are good but i never know wether to trust the reviews on the seller site,Needed some independant opinions.Cheers

You can't. They're usually incredibly biased wherever you look.

I've played a few Vintage models. They were okay I guess. They weren't anything too special.

T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:21 PM   #9
monwobobbo

haven't tried a LP from them but i have their SG copy and it's really good. the pickups are a little on the dark side but with a tone teak at the amp they sound pretty good. prefer their SG to an Epi. overall they seem to make nice guitars and should get some more love than they do. they're tough to find in my part of the US and i get the feeling they don't find there way over here much.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:04 PM   #10
'DC fan
how did I get here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrosionMedia
I can pretty much confirm everything DC Fan said. I've replaced the tuners with a PRS SE set I got dirt cheap, but only because I hate the look of traditional snot green ones. Pickups are decent, nut is good, electronics are fine, hardware is solid.
Overall, I prefer it to pretty much any epiphone I've tried.
The only real down side is the weight, but if you like heavy guitars, you'll love it.

+1

The stock tuners aren't that great, I changed mine, but then again that's because I dropped it onto concrete and the plastic tulip cracked, the rest of the tuner was fine, it's solidly built and survived, bar a couple of paint chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
'DC fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: