Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #1
HaadiMN

Need some advice on what guitar to buy.

It's kinda like a single investment. What things are necessary to have on a good? And what price range am I looking in if I want something that will last and I can use for some giggs and stuff like that. Aside from any of the "personal preference stuff"
HaadiMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
jon_six

HSH or HSS pickup setup is pretty versatile. STEEL frets. 24 frets. 18:1 ratio tuning heads. decent wood combination. everything else is your choice. IMO
jon_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:55 PM   #3
ibacred
Plays the Geetar

Most things on a guitar are personal preference until you figure out what you play on guitar. 24 frets aren't even mandatory, I only have 1 guitar with 24 frets and I never use the 23rd or 24th.

High price does not equal quality instrument, there are great cheap guitar and awful pricey ones. I know I'm talking in circles, but like I said, most guitar stuff is opinion.

Easiest solution is get a Yamaha pacifica, they're considered around here 'the best' of the low end instruments.

Carvin Bolt Classic
LTD EC 1000
Parker PDF100
HD500 pod
ibacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:57 PM   #4
Cajundaddy

Really personal choices. I lean towards single coil guitars because so many of my influences played them. I pay almost zero attention to technical specs otherwise. How does it feel? How does it sound through an amp? These are more important to me than hardware, measurements, or fret count. I have acquired 8 guitars over the years and each one is a little different and serves a different purpose.

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” - SRV
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:27 PM   #5
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

Don't rely on specs alone to warrant purchasing a guitar, as they don't reflect the full story of how a guitar makes you feel. How a guitar makes you feel is far, far more important than anything else that can be said about it.

(´・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:29 PM   #6
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_six
HSH or HSS pickup setup is pretty versatile. STEEL frets. 24 frets. 18:1 ratio tuning heads. decent wood combination. everything else is your choice. IMO

This is a whole bunch of someone else's personal preference, which you need not worry about because you have your own.

Name brands keep better resale value. Besides that, before you buy, try out as many guitars as you can. I can pretty much guarantee you're gonna find a couple that you like, trust me I'm psychic. There's no need to spend a lot of money on your first guitar, if you stick with it, it sure as hell isn't gonna be your last (again, I'm psychic). Preference comes with experience, not the internet. Now go get 'em tiger
Old 07-14-2014, 11:02 PM   #7
bronzepour

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1978
Name brands keep better resale value. Besides that, before you buy, try out as many guitars as you can... Preference comes with experience, not the internet. Now go get 'em tiger

I recently went into a pawn shop and helped a friend buy a mim strat marked at $300 for $230 by showing the worker current prices on reverb and eBay.

Used will get you the most guitar for your money, but go to pawnshops and stores and just fool around with a bunch of different styles. Something will speak to you. Don't be intimidated if you only know three chords or something, just play the hell out of those chords, because its fun. There will be a guitar that you love. All you need is one that is comfortable to you. That's all that matters.
bronzepour is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: