Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #81
idiotbox919

Hey, first time I've seen this thread so I thought I would throw in my contribution to the PRS owners thread......

None of the high end models, but I've got a Santana SE (which is now discontinued, but I think it's basically the same as a the custom SE, someone correct me if I'm wrong) and a Tremonti SE and I absolutely love them both!

The Santana I got about 5 years ago to replace my *ahem* 2nd hand Squier Strat! Needless to say it was a huge improvement!

As I got better and my taste in music became heavier, I decided I needed something with 10s on it for drop tunings and such (I know you can drop D with 9s, but I don't really like messing with tunings on one guitar too much as it screws up the action and stuff) and this led me to the Tremonti SE, which again I absolutely love and up until about a month or so ago lived between drop D or drop Db

Since then I got a LTD M-200, which I use for drop D, and as it has a floyd I can't change it, so now the Tremonti is used for D standard and drop C.....the LTD is also a lovely guitar for anyone who cares, and as it's the bottom of the range I'm sure some of the better LTDs and ESPs are even better

There's nothing that could ever make me get rid of my PRSs, I love those guitars! What could tear me away however would be a PRS with a Floyd in it, as they're just too much fun to play with!

Currently, I'm deciding whether I want for my 21st birthday, to have help buying either a custom 24, a 513, or something from a custom shop.....it's a tough life with all these big decisions!

Oh and if anyone's interested enough to want pictures I'll post some in a few days as all my guitars are in their cases now waiting to move house tomorrow!
idiotbox919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:39 AM   #82
Vauxite
Oliver.

2009 PRS STARLA

Thoughts on the new Starla?
Old 09-24-2008, 10:57 AM   #83
OsirisProtocol
PRS Protocol

^Not my cup of tea really. I guess it would attract some Gretcsh type of players and I love Gretcsh guitars personally but the Starla just doesn't jump out to me really. But I'm saying all of this without playing it first so that's all subject to change.

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
OsirisProtocol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #84
pak1351
Disillusioned UGer

I have a PRS singlecut SE in tobacco sunburst. I like it a lot. Hopefully I'll be able to afford a real Sc 245, and I'd like to get a Gibson LP just to compare the two.

As for the Starla, it's not really my thing, I don't like trems, but it sure looks nice
Old 09-25-2008, 12:13 AM   #85
MESAexplorer
Spider Pig

I wish I had a legit PRS, 24 fretter. I dont have that kind of money though...I think I'd rather buy a Diezel anyway.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
MESAexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:38 AM   #86
Eltis

I would buy a starla right now if it had a stoptail option, not a fan of the bigsby but I guess it compliments the whole vibe of the guitar, a whitewash one would be pretty awesome
Eltis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:17 AM   #87
muse-ik
Unregistered Abuser

Hey dudes and dudettes,
I thought i'd introduce myself to the thread, i'll probably be stopping by multiple times.
I have a PRS SE Soapbar II Maple (longest name ever), and it is my almost dream guitar. Only beaten out by one that I made, which sounds better because it has humbuckers, but doesn't play even half as well (and i like the cosmetics on my custom build more). IT used to be the blue matteo burst colour, but because of the sun, its now a very nice tealish green.
i'll put up pics if i get the time.

What does everyone think of the sudden explosion of new, more radical (for prs at least) models? first the mira, then the thinline, now the starla.
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
muse-ik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:00 AM   #88
no_thing101
certified shredhed

i got a custom 22 today
no_thing101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:56 AM   #89
IncubusMan999
*your ad here*

Location: in your cereal boxes. Beware when you reach for your cornflakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuta
Who has a PRS Custom 22 on order?

I have a PRS Custom 22 on order. Ooooooooooooooh yeah.

Now that you have told me that you have one onorder, you won't anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
IncubusMan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:59 AM   #90
IncubusMan999
*your ad here*

Location: in your cereal boxes. Beware when you reach for your cornflakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve The Plank
My new PRS.

I now officially hate your guts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
IncubusMan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:56 AM   #91
no_thing101
certified shredhed

i am used to floyd roses so i dont really know how prs trems work. do you have to adjust the springs at the back when detuning? also, does tuning one string put the other strings out like on a floyd?
no_thing101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:11 AM   #92
hendriko
Purple is a Fruit

first of all: i want a 513!!! coolest guitar ever, innit?

oh and, should i get a used custom se for 180 pounds? its about 500 euros cheaper than new (here in germany), but i dont really need it (i got an epi LP)

Whodicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
hendriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #93
MESAexplorer
Spider Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendriko
first of all: i want a 513!!! coolest guitar ever, innit?

oh and, should i get a used custom se for 180 pounds? its about 500 euros cheaper than new (here in germany), but i dont really need it (i got an epi LP)

Super versatile. I haven't been able to try one out though

I have my heart set on a singlcut. I'm in good with a local shop, the take about 30% off whatever I want in there. I'd probably get a Carvin singlecut first. Of course I'm gassing for a Diezel Herbert more than anything right now.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
MESAexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:20 AM   #94
Skynyrd890
Unregistered User

Can I has part of thiz thred if I will haz a PRS by Christmas?

But seriously...I will and I can't wait. I just want to ask if anyone has played an SE Singlecut (my next guitar) and an SC 245 side by side and can tell me if I'm really missing anything...I havent had the pleasure of playin a 245...
Skynyrd890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:00 PM   #95
Swap-Meet
Up da p0nx

Alright guys I am very interested in the PRS se Singlecut... I like it a **** load more than the LP custom (in terms of feel and tone)...I am gonna chose between this and a H1 strat

I've heard that PRS are known for EXTREMELY well built guitars....are the PRS SE's built as well? What are some common problems with the PRS Single cut? Does it stay in tune well?
Swap-Meet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:09 PM   #96
OsirisProtocol
PRS Protocol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynyrd890
Can I has part of thiz thred if I will haz a PRS by Christmas?

But seriously...I will and I can't wait. I just want to ask if anyone has played an SE Singlecut (my next guitar) and an SC 245 side by side and can tell me if I'm really missing anything...I havent had the pleasure of playin a 245...

I haven't played the SC 245 yet but I have played the SE Singlecut. The main difference you find in the playability is the different scale length between the 245 and SE SC. I am an SC owner but I am personally not a fan of the SE SC. Still a great guitar just not my bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swap-Meet
Alright guys I am very interested in the PRS se Singlecut... I like it a **** load more than the LP custom (in terms of feel and tone)...I am gonna chose between this and a H1 strat

I've heard that PRS are known for EXTREMELY well built guitars....are the PRS SE's built as well? What are some common problems with the PRS Single cut? Does it stay in tune well?

PRSi are built very well along all their model lines imo. The biggest issue people have (including myself) with the SE line is the nut. In most cases SE owners change the nuts out since they seriously affect the guitars ability to hold tune. Since the SC has a stop tail you should be able to hold your tuning a bit better than the trem equipped guitars but be prepared to swap the nut just in case. You can upgrade to Schaller locking tuners since they are a direct fit and in combination with a new nut your tuning woes if any would be gone. Some people end up swapping out pickups somewhere down the line but you already love the tone so that doesn't seem to be a problem for you atm.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:20 PM   #97
Skynyrd890
Unregistered User

Well, I knew scale length, but what about materials or pickups?
Skynyrd890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:30 PM   #98
OsirisProtocol
PRS Protocol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynyrd890
Well, I knew scale length, but what about materials or pickups?

Well obviously the SC 245 would have higher quality woods and hardware. Both guitars share the same standard neck carve which is W/F unless you order a SC 245 in W/T. The pickups in the 245 have more of a paf voicing (at least imo) than the SE SC. In all honesty if you want an SE SC then get one. If you are opting for it instead of the 245 then I suggest you play a 245 when you get the chance and decide if you really want one or not. Buying a guitar just because it is a cheaper alternative isn't always satisfying in the long run to some players. Make sure you get what you are really after in the long run.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:46 PM   #99
ironman1478

when i get a job during the summer i am definitely saving for a custom 24 or a 513. then my life will be complete
ironman1478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:43 AM   #100
Swap-Meet
Up da p0nx

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisProtocol
PRSi are built very well along all their model lines imo. The biggest issue people have (including myself) with the SE line is the nut. In most cases SE owners change the nuts out since they seriously affect the guitars ability to hold tune. Since the SC has a stop tail you should be able to hold your tuning a bit better than the trem equipped guitars but be prepared to swap the nut just in case. You can upgrade to Schaller locking tuners since they are a direct fit and in combination with a new nut your tuning woes if any would be gone. Some people end up swapping out pickups somewhere down the line but you already love the tone so that doesn't seem to be a problem for you atm.

How much would a new nut cost? Would a new nut change the tone?

Any other common problems?
Swap-Meet is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: