Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Electric Guitar Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-21-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
sepultura alma

GOTM April: ESP Eclipse-II

GOTM April: ESP Eclipse-II

Iím going to try and cover everything about this guitar I can and give you as much detail as I can be arsed lol but if I do miss something out that anyone wants to know Iíll be more than happy to let you knowÖ enjoy =D
Features:
This is a 2007 standard series ESP Eclipse-II in snow white it features a:
ē Set-Neck
ē 24.75Ē Scale
ē Mahogany Body
ē Mahogany Neck
ē Ebony Fingerboard
ē 42mm Bone Nut
ē Thin U Neck Contour
ē 22 XJ Frets
ē Black Nickle Hardware
ē Gotoh Magnum Lock Tuners
ē Gotoh TOM Bridge & Tail
ē EMG 81 in the bridge and 60 in the neck
ē Finish: Snow white

Quality:
Well as for the overall build quality of this instrument I really canít fault it, the finish is spot on and Iíve found no flaws in the paint work. The inlays are all very nicely finished in the beautiful piece of ebony that has been used for the fret board and there are no odd gaps or anything around them which Iím sure someone was asking about not long back. The neck feels smooth and the guitar is very well balanced and you get that feeling youíve got something of great quality in your hands when you play.
The setup was prefect, the action was spot on for me and it felt amazing to play straight out of the case, there was no fret buzz at all and the action is pretty damn low. The pickups seemed to be at just the right height to bring the best sound out them and the instrument and I really couldnít find a single thing about it that didnít make me feel a little damp =p
Now the thing that I do need to mention about the guitar is that under a month or so in to having it there was a problem with the pickups. Occasionally when I switched from the bridge to the neck pickups it went very quiet and muffled then after a few seconds seemed to get better and sounded as if it was warming up or something and then worked fine, I checked the battery and that was pretty much full but still I put a new one in just in case but it still did it. Of course I thought hang on this Is brand new, over £1000 guitar so I took it straight back to the shop they had a look at it and thought that there was nothing wrong with it for a while because it seemed to be working fine for them (one of those annoying moments where itís broken when you do it and then someone else tryís and it works fine) so they said they would keep it overnight so they could have a better look at it and get back to me if they did find anything. Lucky they did have the same problem with the pickups and after trying them out for a while they found that in the end it was the EMG 60 that was a bit dodgy; they sent it back to ESP where they replaced all! the electronics and sent it back working fine and ItĎs been working for the last 9 odd months without any problems =]
Iím was very impressed with ESPís response to the fault even though of course very disappointed that it had a fault to begin with.

Sound:
Now onto the sound, it really has got one of the nicest tones Iíve ever heard from an EMG equipped guitar. It just seems to be so much clearer, much more of a warmer and deeper tone then most Iíve tried with EMG itís just awesome.
I get amazingly lush sounding cleans from the 60 and a truly deep brutal all out metal tone coming from the 81 for when I just need to go.. Well all out metal =p. This is surprisingly a very versatile guitar, I did think that it would be a pretty much all out metal sounding guitar but the cleans I can get are rich and sometimes even quite bright and jazzy sounding which I really didnít think Iíd get from this kind of guitar.
The amp I mostly play it through is my Randall KH-120 which is a pretty awesome amp for being a solid state and for free (won it hehe) I've played it though my mates 6505 and the sound just made me melt (defo getting one as soon as I pay off bills, can scrap the money together and persuade the misses I need it! lol)

Playability:
Well I thought the best way to describe the playability is that itís all round just Awesome! For me itís a guitar that seems to make playing easier somehow, the neck feels just right for me, really nice and comfortable all round. It feels right for being able to shred as fast as hell on it, it has pretty great access to those top frets too , a lot more comfortable and easier than youíd find on a Gibson les Paul imo. It also feels like there some substance to the neck; it feels great for chugging out some heavy rhythms. Itís defiantly one of the nicest guitars if not the nicest feeling guitar Iíve played.

Overall:
Overall this guitar as far surpassed my expectations of what it would be and Iím very pleased that I got it (even with the pickup troubles). I did have the Ltd ec-1000 before this and heard that the ESP eclipse wasnít much if at all better, well all I can say is that Iím extremely glad I tried it out for myself as I couldnít be happy with it.
This is a guitar that I canít see myself ever wanting to sell, Itís a guitar that I can easily see me playing in the latter years of my life and still loving it, itís defiantly a keeper =D
If you have a chance or are thinking of getting one of these then I say go for it I very much doubt youíd regret itÖ but you never know, Thatís why we always try before we buy kids =p

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A

Last edited by sepultura alma : 04-01-2009 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
bucketmark

dream guitar.............
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
EndTheRapture51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketmark
dream guitar.............

Same.

It is really worth the extra money from the EC-1000?
Old 03-21-2009, 08:03 AM   #4
myearshurt
ho nuva leva

Location: A mystic land where the dew drops cry and the cats meow
Finally

Not a big fan of LP bodies but that's pretty sexy....whoa you seriously won the KH-120?
Old 03-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #5
EndTheRapture51

Also is it as bulky as other LPs?
Old 03-21-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
sepultura alma

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndTheRapture51
Same.

It is really worth the extra money from the EC-1000?

imho YES a big fat yes mate =D
at first I did think "oh yeah It's such a waste of the extra money and your just paying for the name" but then I went and tried one out and was blown away, it's just alot better quality guitar all round.

yeah It was a prize in the Total guitar magazine it came with the Ltd kh-202 which I sold, it was horrid, the frets were so sharp and it just didn't feel at all right to me but yeah I kept the amp cause it has a pretty decent tone.

No it's really as not bulky as other Les Paul's, the bodies smaller and thinner then most and seems alot more comfortable.

Ibanez RGA-8
Yamaha FG-400A

Last edited by sepultura alma : 03-21-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
Killedelphia19
Is your leper messiah

dont you have to ask permission to make a GOTM?
Old 03-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
sepultura alma

yeah I've been asked to do one by the guy who sorts them out hence why it's been posted but he must not been back on-line since it's been up so hasn't had the chance to sticky it, sort it out and make it official or whatever

Ibanez RGA-8
Yamaha FG-400A

Last edited by sepultura alma : 03-21-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:01 PM   #9
splamron
UG's Walter White

absolutely stunning, Love the finish.
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #10
azn_guitarist25
not who you think...

Nice gotm man
Old 03-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #11
Ismail93

great job man

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join
Old 03-22-2009, 04:24 PM   #12
sepultura alma

Cheers guys I tried to be unbiased and quite critical about the guitar but found it really hard to find anything that I didn't like about it and after I'd finished I read it back to myself and just ended up finding that I'd pretty much just written how awesome it was lol =p

Ibanez RGA-8
Yamaha FG-400A
Old 03-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #13
Tedward
AKA M80 the Wolf

beautiful guitar man.

I think ESP should look into new inlays to put on their Eclipses and Vipers though. Those flags sortof ruin them for me.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:03 PM   #14
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Do want. What's the neck like?
Originally Posted by gregs1020
I've said it before, nothing says metal like a grill you can bounce a bottle of Jack Daniels off.
What can you learn in 20 days?
Old 03-23-2009, 01:30 AM   #15
cfhwarhead
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedward
beautiful guitar man.

I think ESP should look into new inlays to put on their Eclipses and Vipers though. Those flags sortof ruin them for me.

I didnt know they were flags, i thought they followed with the headstock.
Either way i think they are pretty fitting inlays for the Eclipses, vipers need different tho.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:20 AM   #16
Horlicks
Banned

It can't just be me who thinks that looks hideous?
Old 03-23-2009, 06:22 AM   #17
azn_guitarist25
not who you think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horlicks

sorry it's just you though i'll admit the non-us body shapes look a hell of a lot better.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #18
LedFender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horlicks

i dont they are hideous but ive seen better inlays.
i think they are better off as squares....
Old 03-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #19
gibson jack

Who do I have to do to get me one of those babies?
Old 03-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #20
Baby Joel
Baby Joel

To be honest, I never really like the look of this guitar. Perhaps it was the EMG's (I hate the look, and tone of those). Perhaps it was the black on white (I prefer gold on white).
Still, I have yet to try it out before I make final judgments.

Rate This Thread: