Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-05-2015, 11:39 PM   #1
Valience

Les Paul suggestions?

Hey all,

I'm looking to buy a Les Paul to go with my jazzmaster, and was wondering whether anyone has suggestions for different manufacturers aside from Gibson?

Price range: $1500 - $2500 AU (In Australia)

I don't mind new or used, prefer new (would like a honey-burst)
Mostly likely used for rock/blues ala Zep/Junior Kimborough

This is the closet I can find to something that I want

http://www.tokaiguitarsaustralia.co...yle_ls_98f.html

But if you can find something better I'm open to suggestions!
Valience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:46 PM   #2
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

I've heard good things about Electra Omegas. The brand was recently revived and the guitars look and sound killer. Probably picking one up in the next few months myself.
Gibson RD Silverburst

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Line 6 M13
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
TheStig1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:30 AM   #3
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

The Japanese makers like Tokai, Edwards, Burny, etc. make nice LPs in a variety of classic finishes- you should be able to find one that works.

Casting a wider net, check out builders like Hagstrom, Godin, Electra and Reverend.

Of those, I own guitars by the last 2. Hagstrom and Godin have a variety of LPclones, hardtails and trems, HBs & P90s. Godin even has one- the Icon2 Convertible- that has those Seymour Duncan P-Rails which can deliver singlecoil, P90 & HB tones.

My Electra is the Omega Prime, a blinker version of the Omega. Nice feel, nice contours, and most importantly, nice tones.

The Reverends LPclones I own are a Roundhouse (discontinued) and a Rick Vito signature hardtail. The Roundhouse is a classic HB guitar, though it is slightly small-bodied compared to the Gibsons & Epis. In this, it is like the LPclones produced by DBZ, Fernandes, and Dean Zelinzky's Private Label (all good, but most feature higher output pickups).

The Rick Vito has non-traditional art-deco styling, and features a neck P90 and a Supro-style oversized singlecoil in the bridge. Huge tone. The hardtails range from $900-1400 if you can find them, but the only ones in production right now feature a Bigsby.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:40 AM   #4
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
The Japanese makers like Tokai, Edwards, Burny, etc. make nice LPs in a variety of classic finishes- you should be able to find one that works.

Casting a wider net, check out builders like Hagstrom, Godin, Electra and Reverend.

Of those, I own guitars by the last 2. Hagstrom and Godin have a variety of LPclones, hardtails and trems, HBs & P90s. Godin even has one- the Icon2 Convertible- that has those Seymour Duncan P-Rails which can deliver singlecoil, P90 & HB tones.

My Electra is the Omega Prime, a blinker version of the Omega. Nice feel, nice contours, and most importantly, nice tones.

The Reverends LPclones I own are a Roundhouse (discontinued) and a Rick Vito signature hardtail. The Roundhouse is a classic HB guitar, though it is slightly small-bodied compared to the Gibsons & Epis. In this, it is like the LPclones produced by DBZ, Fernandes, and Dean Zelinzky's Private Label (all good, but most feature higher output pickups).

The Rick Vito has non-traditional art-deco styling, and features a neck P90 and a Supro-style oversized singlecoil in the bridge. Huge tone. The hardtails range from $900-1400 if you can find them, but the only ones in production right now feature a Bigsby.

I'm curious about the Omega's pickups. I was going to get the Ceruse Omega Prime. Are they vintage, medium or high output?
Gibson RD Silverburst

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Line 6 M13
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Old 03-06-2015, 01:04 AM   #5
Fumble fingers

these are nice ..... Carvins named changed to kiesel but the same company , semi hollow with or with out sound hole

http://www.carvinguitars.com/custom...owcarvedtop.php

or solid body
http://www.carvinguitars.com/custom...orniasingle.php

Last edited by Fumble fingers : 03-06-2015 at 01:06 AM.
Fumble fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:22 AM   #6
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

He's in Australia- Carvins aren't that good a bargain outside the USA.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:41 AM   #7
Valience

Thanks for the reply so far guys. Yeah, I figured Japanese was probably my best bet, I did check out reverend but the only thing I can find within distance to play would probably be http://www.musicswopshop.com.au/Swo...search=reverend

And I'm not sure how LPish that is haha. There are a few second hand greco's on that site though, but I'm unsure of the quality of them etc..
Old 03-06-2015, 02:05 AM   #8
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig1214
I'm curious about the Omega's pickups. I was going to get the Ceruse Omega Prime. Are they vintage, medium or high output?

The Electra MagnaFlux use Alnico V's- I'd call them medium output.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:32 AM   #9
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valience
I did check out reverend but the only thing I can find within distance to play would probably be http://www.musicswopshop.com.au/Swo...search=reverend

And I'm not sure how LPish that is haha.

Well, the shape is obviously not LPish!

However, Reverends most common HBs tend towards the Gibson-y side. And, with their array of Tone and Base Contour controls, they can get very single-coil like tones without the volume drop you find with some coil-splitting setups.

This has led some Reverend owners to say that they combine the best of Fenders and Gibsons.

FWIW, that "Flatroc" looks more like a 2007-era hardtail Jetstream HB. Fellow UGer JustRooster had a Jetstream HB with a tremolo, and his sentiments echoed that assessment. My Roundhouse, likewise, can achieve surprising twang.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:45 AM   #10
Valience

Yeah, I'm tempted to go in and play it - I'd probably leave with it - But I think I'd still want an LP. My first electric was a prs and it didn't do anything for me because it was almost *too* middle groundy? If that makes any sense, I just don't want to make the same mistake again haha.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:12 AM   #11
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

I understand perfectly!

That's why I recommended the Japanese clones first.. But if you can't find one of those, the Electras, Hagstroms and Godins would be solid options.

Even though I love my Omega, the Godin might be the non-Japanese option with the most potential. Those P-Rails being able to do P90 & HB tones covers a LOT of classic LP territory.

Ths downside, though, is that Godin visual aesthetics are a little different.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:59 AM   #12
NHECOS
UG Senior Member

Go for LTD's or ESP's.
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
BOSS ME-70 -->
LINE 6 Pod Studio UX1
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
YAMAHA THR 10 -->
MILF Tease
NHECOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:19 AM   #13
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
The Electra MagnaFlux use Alnico V's- I'd call them medium output.

Exactly what I want to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumble fingers
these are nice ..... Carvins named changed to kiesel but the same company , semi hollow with or with out sound hole

Carvin didn't change their name to Kiesel, the Kiesel guitars are just the high end line built by Jeff Kiesel himself. They get all the high figure multi ply tops and just more options in general. They also start at $3k USD.
Gibson RD Silverburst

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Line 6 M13
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Old 03-07-2015, 03:16 AM   #14
oz_bassist

I just bought a Jazzmaster to accomodate my Les Paul, I have a Gibson Traditional Satin and at the time it was against 70's MIJ Greco's and a couple of Edwards as well. When I played them side by side the Gibson killed them in terms of playability and sound but it really is subjective. Traditionals come up all the time for 2k or under, some stores in Aus are clearing out older models. Best advice I can give is play as many as you can, you'll find the one that feels right!

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender AV RI 65 Jazzmaster
1978 Ibanez Musician MC350
Orange Rockerverb Mk1
Orange PPC212OB

Korg Pitchblack
EHX Soul Food
Line 6 DL4
EHX POG 2
MXR Micro Amp
Boss PS5 Super Shifter
oz_bassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:17 AM   #15
Vampire_State
Bloodsucker

Find a pre-lawsuit Ibanez LP.

A friend of mine has two of them and I am helplessly in love with them.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:20 AM   #16
waldorphPRS41
quixotic

Is there a reason you are opposed to Gibson? I've always been a Fender guy and my main guitar is a CIJ Jazzmaster and I just picked up a Les Paul Traditional Pro in a trade and expected to not like it at all and was just going to flip or trade it. I absolutely fell in love with it though and it's all I play these days and I've never been a Gibson guy. That's in your price range and is modeled after the 50s neck (I believe) and it so comfortable and sounds amazing and so fodder end than my Jazzmaster. It's funny how a lot of us are pairing the two.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:23 AM   #17
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

FWIW, here is one of those Hagstroms I was thinking of (used).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/38082589862...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Old 03-07-2015, 12:35 PM   #18
Seriden

I second what waldorphprs41 said. Any reason why you are avoiding Gibson? I also recently acquired a Traditional Pro (II) and was not sure I would live the modern weight relief and added features. I have a LP standard from the 90s (heavy as a tank) so I was skeptical.

Like waldorph, I was blown away with the new Gibson. Feels great, plays great, sounds great and priced reasonably compared to the standards. Is the reason you are avoiding Gibson because they are more expensive where you live?
Seriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:01 PM   #19
waldorphPRS41
quixotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriden
I second what waldorphprs41 said. Any reason why you are avoiding Gibson? I also recently acquired a Traditional Pro (II) and was not sure I would live the modern weight relief and added features. I have a LP standard from the 90s (heavy as a tank) so I was skeptical.

Like waldorph, I was blown away with the new Gibson. Feels great, plays great, sounds great and priced reasonably compared to the standards. Is the reason you are avoiding Gibson because they are more expensive where you live?

That's awesome, mine is still so heavy though haha. I just got used to it.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:51 PM   #20
Valience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriden
Is the reason you are avoiding Gibson because they are more expensive where you live?

Thanks for all the replies guys! Surprising my Jazzmaster is a CIJ as well,

Yes, the 2015 range of Gibsons are waay above my price range. Although, the 2014 trad series would fit there, but I haven't seen too many of them around since mid-last year. Trying to find some time to go down to the Tokai distributor factory and play a bunch, so I have something to compare with, if I do find a used Gibson or something.

Unrelated, but my Jazzy is vintage radius and frets - How do you guys handle transitioning between the two?

Rate This Thread: