Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-05-2016, 07:46 PM   #1
alehanro999

Question Looking for an RG

So a buddy of mine is looking for an Ibanez RG. Probably looking for a used (less expensive and more options). He plays more classic rock (RUSH, Beatles, Led Zep, etc) but also some newer rock (borderline metal) so I told him HSS or HSH would be the best route. From personal experience I told him to avoid Gio and get a "true blood" Ibanez. Fixed bridge is a must. No trems of any kind. The real heard part though, is we're in Canada, and right now with the exchange rate, everything is ridiculously expensive, so even Gio's are running nearly 350-400$. Budget is about 450, maybe 500 tops (Canadian $). I've been asked about what gear this will run through, but he hasn't locked that in yet, so I couldn't say anything more specific than solid state amps, and basic pedals (chorus, fuzz, OD, distortion, maybe reverb and delay). So anybody got any ideas on particular models that fit this description? I browsed the Ibanez Wiki but the search and sort functions really suck.
alehanro999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:05 PM   #2
Dick Savage

Why an ibby? I would say get him (flame vest on) on a Dean Vendetta with a GOOD setup. They can be had for extremely cheap and most have fixed bridges. 99 dollars U.S.

I would rather have a 100 dollar guitar and a 500 dollar amp than the other way around. The amp IS your sound for the most part.

Anyway your amplifier ahould be the biggest expenditure without a doubt.

Dean vendetta all the way
Dick Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:45 AM   #3
mockbel

Most of Ibanez RG on Kijiji.ca are under $400 cdn... I am pretty sure you can find something there...

Regarding the amp vs guitar dilemma, it is all about your aim... better feel and playability, spend more on guitar... better sound, spend more on amp...

With a limited budget, compromise is a must unfortunately

Laney IRT Studio (IRT112 Cab)

BOSS GT-8
mockbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:43 PM   #4
Chaz-6(sic)6
ThatMETALDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Savage
Why an ibby? I would say get him (flame vest on) on a Dean Vendetta with a GOOD setup. They can be had for extremely cheap and most have fixed bridges. 99 dollars U.S.

I would rather have a 100 dollar guitar and a 500 dollar amp than the other way around. The amp IS your sound for the most part.

Anyway your amplifier ahould be the biggest expenditure without a doubt.

Dean vendetta all the way

I say "HELL NO" on the Dean Vendetta.
Had that guitar for almost 2 years. Worst 75 bucks I've ever spent. (Bought from Musician's Friend on sale)

Tuners are horrible (don't stay in tune after playing a few chords), bridge is crap, electronics are some of the worst I've come across, Pickups are muddy as hell, and the body is so light that it feels like a toy (made of wood close to plywood).

Basically, unless you find it for $30 on CL used and REALLY need a guitar, go for it. Other than that, pass that crap.

(Now you may think I just got a "bad apple", but I tried 3 different Vendetta's, same model. And they all played, sound, and felt the same.)
This is coming from a guy that's not picky when it comes to guitars either.

I'd say check out the Ibanez RG2EX1. A $300 guitar with decent electronics and hardware.
I used to own one and regret selling it. (phone bills and what not, )
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab

Last edited by Chaz-6(sic)6 : 04-06-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Chaz-6(sic)6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:35 PM   #5
21GunSalute

How about a slim Jackson soloist with hard tail? I know you said Ibanez but the soloist line should do what you need and they are pretty cheap used.
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
21GunSalute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:45 PM   #6
Dick Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz-6(sic)6
I say "HELL NO" on the Dean Vendetta.
Had that guitar for almost 2 years. Worst 75 bucks I've ever spent. (Bought from Musician's Friend on sale)

Tuners are horrible (don't stay in tune after playing a few chords), bridge is crap, electronics are some of the worst I've come across, Pickups are muddy as hell, and the body is so light that it feels like a toy (made of wood close to plywood).

Basically, unless you find it for $30 on CL used and REALLY need a guitar, go for it. Other than that, pass that crap.

(Now you may think I just got a "bad apple", but I tried 3 different Vendetta's, same model. And they all played, sound, and felt the same.)
This is coming from a guy that's not picky when it comes to guitars either.

I'd say check out the Ibanez RG2EX1. A $300 guitar with decent electronics and hardware.
I used to own one and regret selling it. (phone bills and what not, )

Out of curiosity when did you own these 3, maybe there was an exceptionally bad run? I owned one and it was fairly decent i got it used for 60 bucks just to mod it.....but i never did, i just gave it to a nephew who wanted to learn. Admittedly the electronics weren't very good at all, but after a good setup it was very playable....especially at the price point.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:42 PM   #7
Chaz-6(sic)6
ThatMETALDude

Quote:
Out of curiosity when did you own these 3, maybe there was an exceptionally bad run? I owned one and it was fairly decent i got it used for 60 bucks just to mod it.....but i never did, i just gave it to a nephew who wanted to learn. Admittedly the electronics weren't very good at all, but after a good setup it was very playable....especially at the price point.

I got it in 2010. (I just owned that one. The other 2 I played from a couple of friends in different bands.)
The other 2 I tried were the first run model (the one without the "wings logo") and one that was made in 2012.

All made of terrible wood and bad hardware.

I also gave it a good set up but everything about the guitar was just bad. (I tried really hard to like it, but just couldn't.)

If he were to get a vendetta. He'd spend more money switching out the bad hardware and electronics than buying a decent guitar at just $50-$100 more. (Which would still be well under his budget.)
Old 04-07-2016, 11:00 PM   #8
Dick Savage

Quote:
I got it in 2010. (I just owned that one. The other 2 I played from a couple of friends in different bands.)
The other 2 I tried were the first run model (the one without the "wings logo") and one that was made in 2012.

All made of terrible wood and bad hardware.

I also gave it a good set up but everything about the guitar was just bad. (I tried really hard to like it, but just couldn't.)

If he were to get a vendetta. He'd spend more money switching out the bad hardware and electronics than buying a decent guitar at just $50-$100 more. (Which would still be well under his budget.)

Yea you are probably right. I was just suggesting something cheap so he could afford more of an amp.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:35 PM   #9
Chaz-6(sic)6
ThatMETALDude

Quote:
Yea you are probably right. I was just suggesting something cheap so he could afford more of an amp.

Well a 30 watt Peavey Vyper goes for about $99.
Great starter or intermediate amp. (Not like the abomination the Line 6 Spider is, lol)

I think a solid 200-300 guitar and a Vyper would be a great little set up.

Later on when he's got 700-1000 bucks to spend, the high end amp could come into the picture.

My Bugera tube Head cost me $500 and the Crate Blue Voodoo Cab with Celestion Vintage 30's cost me $450. Thats $950.
So if he's got his eye on a 6505 or a Mesa Rectifier, they would cost twice as much, if not, more.

So having a simple set up like I suggested, he has a decent guitar and amp. Then he can save up soley on a quality tube amp.

Last edited by Chaz-6(sic)6 : 04-07-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:26 PM   #10
haggard191

If this must be Ibanez, then this one should do the job
https://en.muzyczny.pl/160252_Ibane...ric-guitar.html
But i think this one is better, but it's only me
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JS32QDKATAM
But it's H-H
This one is great
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-an...uitar-Black/I3S
haggard191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:11 PM   #11
Dick Savage

Quote:
Well a 30 watt Peavey Vyper goes for about $99.
Great starter or intermediate amp. (Not like the abomination the Line 6 Spider is, lol)

I think a solid 200-300 guitar and a Vyper would be a great little set up.

Later on when he's got 700-1000 bucks to spend, the high end amp could come into the picture.

My Bugera tube Head cost me $500 and the Crate Blue Voodoo Cab with Celestion Vintage 30's cost me $450. Thats $950.
So if he's got his eye on a 6505 or a Mesa Rectifier, they would cost twice as much, if not, more.

So having a simple set up like I suggested, he has a decent guitar and amp. Then he can save up soley on a quality tube amp.

Admittedly, i haven't thought this through nearly as much as you have.

But yes the route you have suggested would probably be the most bang for the buck.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:59 AM   #12
Chaz-6(sic)6
ThatMETALDude

Quote:
Admittedly, i haven't thought this through nearly as much as you have.

But yes the route you have suggested would probably be the most bang for the buck.

Well I was in the same boat, so it didn't take much for me to think about it.

Rate This Thread: