Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM   #1
dylandempsey6

New guitar help

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a new guitar, explorer type and all variants, my two choices right now are the Charvel Desolation DST-1 ST and the Jackson Warrior WRXTMG. Does anybody know which one of these would be better than the other or could recommend some in the same price range?
dylandempsey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM   #2
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Well; I think the Charvel gets the nod over the Jackson. But as those are both "Star-Shaped" and you mentioned Explorer shapes, I would take a look at the Ibanez Destroyer DT2. It is a bit more than the two guitars you mentioned, but I think it is a better guitar all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:10 AM   #3
Danustar

I still think the Warrior shape is butt-awful but clearly you don't so leaving that aside, they're really similarly spec'd eh. IMO The biggest difference in playability and overall feel would be the neck finish, or lack thereof. There's a lot of big love around at the moment for raw necks such as that on the Charvel. Do you have a preference on that?

For context, I've played an X Series Soloist - not the Warrior - and it's a really great guitar. If the shape floats your boat I'm sure you'd be happy with the Jackson. However, I'm an unfinished neck convert and the Charvels are just that much nicer for this feature. Once more tho, I've not played the Star model.

Mahogany / unfinished neck / classic shape > Tone knob
Old Today, 01:05 AM   #4
dylandempsey6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danustar
I still think the Warrior shape is butt-awful but clearly you don't so leaving that aside, they're really similarly spec'd eh. IMO The biggest difference in playability and overall feel would be the neck finish, or lack thereof. There's a lot of big love around at the moment for raw necks such as that on the Charvel. Do you have a preference on that?

For context, I've played an X Series Soloist - not the Warrior - and it's a really great guitar. If the shape floats your boat I'm sure you'd be happy with the Jackson. However, I'm an unfinished neck convert and the Charvels are just that much nicer for this feature. Once more tho, I've not played the Star model.

Mahogany / unfinished neck / classic shape > Tone knob

As far as the shape goes, I'm not really a big fan of it either (not saying it's terrible or I wouldn't choose it), it's just more comfortable to me than a traditional shaped guitar. And yes, I am a fan of the raw necks as glossy painted necks feel sticky for me after a while because my hands sweat very badly. So far the only real difference is the body material (Charvel=mahogany Jackson=basswood) and brand preference. I got nothing still :/
dylandempsey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:43 AM   #5
Danustar

Quote:
And yes, I am a fan of the raw necks as glossy painted necks feel sticky for me after a while because my hands sweat very badly
Doesn't the Jackson have a painted neck?

Rate This Thread: