Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-16-2015, 12:34 AM   #1
dhenia182

Fender Telecaster with bigsby

Hey guys,
So here I am having a dilemma again. I cancelled on buying Gretsch double jet because of it's weight and the neck felt strange on my hand. but I'm still gassing for a lightweight electric guitar with bigsby. I found a Fender Modern Player Short Scale Telecaster, the short scale 24" neck got my attention and the alder body was really light. my question is, will it be a bad idea to install a bigsby on it? Is it even possible to install a bigsby on smaller telecaster? Does anybody know any guitar service/luthier in Binghamton area?

How much will it cost to buy and install a bigsby on Telecaster guitar? I'm also open to other recommendation. I want to buy a squier cabronita with bigsby, but I hate the fact that it uses basswood body.

Your replies will be appreciated. Thank you!
Old 05-16-2015, 12:55 AM   #2
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Well, a Bigsby B-50 costs between $99-140, so start there. I have no idea how much the labor costs to do such a mod.

As for where to get the work done, I know of these two, but only by online rep.
http://www.banjoandfiddle.com/instruments

http://www.yellowpages.com/binghamt...653?lid=4828653

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:04 AM   #3
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

The thing is, "lightweight" and "Bigsby" don't generally go hand in hand. They're a big hunk of metal.

These, for instance, weigh @8.5-9.5lbs.

http://www.guitarsbydiamond.com/cat...?id=imfmbg3-tbo
http://www.guitarsbydiamond.com/cat...?id=imabbg-blss

Old 05-16-2015, 03:45 AM   #4
dhenia182

Thank you danny. so Maybe I should just find a tremolo style stratocaster? I dunno
Old 05-16-2015, 04:12 AM   #5
CorrosionMedia
Almost Sane

Okay. You don't seem too fussed about the sound, though I'm guessing something vintagey?
Basswood isn't a bad wood for guitars. A lot of pros use it including Joe Satriani and Steve Vai. Others use it as the main wood with a slab of something prettier on top.

Installing a bigsby isn't too big of a deal, but it does create permanent damage, so it's better to buy one with a trem installed already if you ever want to sell it.
I'd say go for the Cabronita personally.

My latest tracks: [Metal] [Alt Rock] [Pop Rock]
Here's my SoundCloud Page
(Mostly rough demos/protos)
And my Bandcamp
(Much the same, but expensive and covered in bees)
CorrosionMedia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:47 AM   #6
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

There are some ultralight guitars out there that could handle a Bigsby, but they aren't necessarily cheap. Some are semihollows.

What kind of budget do you have?

Old 05-16-2015, 08:51 AM   #7
dhenia182

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
There are some ultralight guitars out there that could handle a Bigsby, but they aren't necessarily cheap. Some are semihollows.

What kind of budget do you have?

rightnow I only have $500 budget, I don't mind spending more if it's really worth it. This will be my main guitar, as I will leave my other guitars in my home country. If I want to get it fast then I will buy squire cabronita... or I should save up more for a couple of months and get Fender deluxe telecaster with tremolo. What do ya think?
Old 05-16-2015, 08:55 AM   #8
dhenia182

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrosionMedia
Okay. You don't seem too fussed about the sound, though I'm guessing something vintagey?
Basswood isn't a bad wood for guitars. A lot of pros use it including Joe Satriani and Steve Vai. Others use it as the main wood with a slab of something prettier on top.

Installing a bigsby isn't too big of a deal, but it does create permanent damage, so it's better to buy one with a trem installed already if you ever want to sell it.
I'd say go for the Cabronita personally.

the sound that I'm looking for is the one that can take good distortion/overdrive pedal , but also has some nice clean tone. I like to play around with tremolo/bigsby for that nice vibrato touch.
I have fender Ja90 thinline, really love the sound but I'm thinking it will be better if it had bigsby on it..
Old 05-16-2015, 10:00 AM   #9
dspellman

I'm not a Bigsby fan. I love how it looks, all vintage-y and machined metal, but I wouldn't have one on a guitar I really wanted to play.

On those guitars where a Floyd really isn't necessary, but I still want a bit of vibrato available with a handle on it, I really prefer the Fender/Wilkinson style barely-there trems. Without the bar attached, you can barely tell they're there, and you can use them as you would any hard-tail, with easy palm muting, etc. With the bar inserted, they're adequate for all but the most gymnastic vibrato work, and they're string-change friendly.

My favorite guitars for this work are the HSH configured neck-through guitars like the Carvin DC-145, with a single volume and tone, a five-way, and a few miniswitches to provide some additional tonal versatility. I'm not particularly adamant about wood choices; I've got koa, mahogany and maple variants (and basswood or alder or poplar would be fine but I personally prefer heavy dense woods) with and without various "caps" that mostly perform cosmetic functions.

Fact is, with Kahler on a comeback trail, you might look there instead of at the Bigsby as well. The new ones will lock down and function as a hard tail if you aren't using it as a trem, and they will offer Floyd-like action if you add a locking nut at the other end. In between, they don't require a big old rout on the back of the guitar for springs, they restring far more easily, and they stay out of your way when you're not actively using them. The new hybrids kick butt.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #10
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenia182
rightnow I only have $500 budget, I don't mind spending more if it's really worth it. This will be my main guitar, as I will leave my other guitars in my home country. If I want to get it fast then I will buy squire cabronita... or I should save up more for a couple of months and get Fender deluxe telecaster with tremolo. What do ya think?

Hmm...you're a ways away from buying any of the lighter Bigsby-equipped guitars I can think of.

Here's my take on the Bigsby: they're older tech, and not as versatile, but I still have more of them than any other trem type out there. Probably more about visual aesthetics than functionality, but I do prefer them.

Questions:

1) do you really need a trem at all? They're great fun, but they're not essential.
2) how important is lightness? If it is a key factor, dspellman is probably right in suggesting you look for an axe with a more modern trem...or using one of those to modify a hardtail you like.

That said, my plan would be this: save up more money. Money gives you options, and the time it takes to save it lets you keep looking, especially for used deals.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:24 PM   #11
Fumble fingers

Bigsby have there place for sure , maybe not in metal because they don't dive ..... but if your looking for a mild and very controllable vibrato then Bigsby is it

agreed , way off on budget to get in the door
Fumble fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:26 PM   #12
dhenia182

Quote:
Hmm...you're a ways away from buying any of the lighter Bigsby-equipped guitars I can think of.

Questions:

1) do you really need a trem at all? They're great fun, but they're not essential.
2) how important is lightness? If it is a key factor, dspellman is probably right in suggesting you look for an axe with a more modern trem...or using one of those to modify a hardtail you like.

1. Yes I need a trem/bigsby for my style of playing but not floyd one.
2. Lightness is really important since I have a baby, I kind of have back issue. Shorter scale guitar is preferable (I'm used with 24,7" scale neck).

I'm really open with more suggestions.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:32 PM   #13
dhenia182

is Squier cabronita with bigsby worth it?
Old 05-16-2015, 06:39 PM   #14
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Well, I found a couple.

https://reverb.com/item/707935-squi...CFdY8gQodyrwANA

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-...413-i4230608.gc

I don't know that they're particularly light: most places that list shipping weight (guitar + box & packing) out it as over 10 lbs. That means the guitar itself will be between 7-5-9.5lbs.

The reviews seem to be decent, though.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:56 PM   #15
dhenia182

Quote:
Well, I found a couple.

https://reverb.com/item/707935-squi...CFdY8gQodyrwANA

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-...413-i4230608.gc

I don't know that they're particularly light: most places that list shipping weight (guitar + box & packing) out it as over 10 lbs. That means the guitar itself will be between 7-5-9.5lbs.

The reviews seem to be decent, though.

nice, thanks! Have you ever tried gretsch pro jet? Hmm I wonder if it's any good too.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:58 PM   #16
dhenia182

my perfect guitar will be prs s2 starla but it's over $1000 so never mind
Old 05-16-2015, 07:06 PM   #17
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

The Pro Jet is a nice axe for the money!

Old 05-16-2015, 07:21 PM   #18
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Some thoughts:

This was modified to as a tremolo of some kind.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orange-Reve...=item2a50853a28

This is cheap, but has a tacky decal on the backside.
https://reverb.com/item/681853-reve...ger-290-goldtop

Eastwood guitars has a few models with Bigsby trems, and they're fairly affordable.
http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/guitars-1/

Also, Epiphone semihollows and some of the Ibanez Artcores have Bigsby models, and again, are pretty nice.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:34 PM   #19
dhenia182

Quote:
The Pro Jet is a nice axe for the money!

will the Pro Jet be better than squier cab? thanks for the other suggestions tho.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:39 PM   #20
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Honestly, I don't know. The reputation of Squier goes like a roller coaster. My gut tells me to go with the Pro Jet, but I have no factual basis for that.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 05-16-2015 at 11:40 PM.

Rate This Thread: