Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-13-2015, 05:17 PM   #1
dxpaintball8000
UG's angry activist

Why do Dean's suck at tone? HELP

So I'm shopping for a new guitar and I have fallen in love with this guitar http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...electric-guitar I REALLY like the V neck profile of Deans. The problem is that every review/demo I have found for ANY Dean guitar has been completely awful in terms of tone, even with a good amp.

My question is this, do Deans just have bad stock pickups? If I switch out the pickups for Dimarzios, will the guitar sound like a freaking dream? Or will it just sound like a crappy guitar with hot pickups?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-Man
I may be a Narcissist, But im the Best Narcissist
dxpaintball8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:20 PM   #2
T00DEEPBLUE
UG Nerd

Relatively little about the way a guitar's sound is determined by the guitar itself. There are far more significant factors such as the amp and the way it is set up. And that is especially true in youtube videos were reviewers are generally very limited in terms of recording equipment and the time it takes to mic up a cabinet properly.

With that said, I do agree that loads of the Dimebag Deans suck tonally, and it's because of those horrible Dimebucker pickups they keep using.

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 07-13-2015 at 05:22 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:47 PM   #3
dxpaintball8000
UG's angry activist

So you are saying that if I just change the pickups it will be good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-Man
I may be a Narcissist, But im the Best Narcissist
dxpaintball8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:50 PM   #4
dthmtl3

Where are you finding these reviews/demos? Youtube?

If indeed the pickups aren't good, that's not a biggie since those can easily be replaced.
dthmtl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:51 PM   #5
kentuckyklira

I have a Dean Dime with OBL Pickups. They really make a difference. I have a Washburn N24 with OBL Pickups, same story. The weakest link in the chain will define your tone and if the pups suck you might start there!
kentuckyklira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:47 PM   #6
Cajundaddy

At the risk of being a wet blanket, I have played quite a few Dean guitars and I never found one I liked. Not one. They do look pretty cool but I couldn't get the mojo I needed. It's a very personal choice though so trust your hands and your ears as well as your eyes.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:07 PM   #7
ikey_

cause most cheap deans are terrible qaulity...market for high end deans is in the crapper in recent times
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:56 AM   #8
Robbgnarly

Dean guitars are known for having shit pickups in most models. If you like the feel of the guitar a pickup swap should help you out.

What amp are you using and what sound do you want? the amp is immensely important, more so than the pickups for your overall tone/sound
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:12 AM   #9
trashedlostfdup
likes hamuckers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajundaddy
At the risk of being a wet blanket, I have played quite a few Dean guitars and I never found one I liked. Not one. They do look pretty cool but I couldn't get the mojo I needed. It's a very personal choice though so trust your hands and your ears as well as your eyes.

+1 i feel the same. they just don't feel right with me. no mojo. i have played quite a few. i liked one. but, i liked another guitar (at the time) better and cheaper. they aren't overly cheap either.

the dime models are exponentially worse.

i just don't like them

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
...We already knew from the rest of the sentence that you really don't know what you're talking about.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:29 AM   #10
Evilnine
Diabolus in Musica

US

I have had a few Dean's, a VX cheapo that was originally my son's I still have it and it is very mediocre despite having some nice Bill and Becky (Bill Lawrence) L500XL pups in it, it sounds good but playing is just meh. I also had a DIME DB Razorback, I got it cheap and thought it looked great but the build quality was not too impressive , I sold it after deciding to not waste any money on upgrades. I currently have a very nice MIK Dean Splittail that I grabbed used and for a good price, it has the V shaped neck profile, solid mahogany body and neck, the neck is set and has very nice binding and exceptional fretwork, it has a Floyd Rose Original and just plays like a dream. It came stock with Dean USA Time Capsule pickups (their version of the PAF) and I quickly replaced them with a JB/JM combo. Being made in USA I had hoped the Dean pups would sound good but they were extremely dirty sounding and had to go.

Here is a pic in this shot it is stock, before I had put the Duncan's in it.

Time for primal concrete sledge

Evilnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:33 AM   #11
Bhaok
The evil old man

Operator error.

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Bhaok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:05 PM   #12
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Dean guitars are known for having shit pickups in most models. If you like the feel of the guitar a pickup swap should help you out.

I'm a happy owner of 2 Deans, and I agree with this.

Find a Dean you like the looks and feel of
Swap pickups as needed
Rock out

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:36 PM   #13
21GunSalute

Sorry to join the wet blanket party (but a real wet blanket party sounds interesting..) but man I've always hated Deans. I've tested many, even high-end ones but they just seem clunky. No disrespect for those who like them; I haven't played every model and my personal preference is just that.

Anyway I recommend actually playing a Dean before buying if possible.

Edit: oh hell, if I'm gonna bash em I might as well have my full say. Those Dean headstocks have got to be the biggest division point for potential customers. I'm not a big guy so having that huge headstock on a (usually pretty meaty Dean guitar) would look awkward for me at least. Dimebag's big paws can compensate for it but if you're not a bearlike man, it's gonna look silly

Last edited by 21GunSalute : 07-16-2015 at 01:04 AM.
21GunSalute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:52 PM   #14
Evilnine
Diabolus in Musica

US

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21GunSalute
Sorry to join the wet blanket party (but a real wet blanket party sounds interesting..) but man I've always hated Deans. I've tested many, even high-end ones but they just seem clunky. No disrespect for those who like them; I haven't played every model and my personal preference is just that.

Anyway I recommend actually playing a Dean before buying if possible.

Edit: oh hell, if I'm gonna bash em I might as well have my full say. Those Dean headstocks have got to be the biggest division point for potential customers. I'm not a big guy so having that huge headstock on a (usually pretty meaty Dean guitar) would look awkward for me at least. Dimebag's big paws can compensate for it but if you're not a bearlike man, it's gonna look silly

My Splittail is very lightweight the body is huge but thin like an SG and mahogany, the action is low and it plays great nothing clunky about it, I do agree that most Dean's are clunky I guess I got lucky. Also I love the V headstock but the headstock on the Razorbacks are frightening for sure.
Time for primal concrete sledge

Evilnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:12 PM   #15
monwobobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey_
cause most cheap deans are terrible qaulity...market for high end deans is in the crapper in recent times

agree. the nicer more expensive versions of their older models were actually pretty decent i thought. dime models don't interest me and the few i tried confirmed that repeatedly. maybe they sound awesome thru one of those SS amps he used to use but not thru the amps i demo guitars on. actualy the michael schenker sig V i tried sounded really good and so did the leslie west model. doubt i'd buy either guitar but they wee pretty good.

dean sufferes from the same issue that BC Rich does in that they made a ton of crappy guitars in the 90s thru early 2000s and even though they've stepped it some the memory of the past lives on and haunts them. that and most of the guitar models are geared toward metal and nothing else.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:50 PM   #16
Robbgnarly

The Dean Hard-tail was a kickass guitar, but they were way over priced, $1999 for the USA model I played.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:06 PM   #17
romeozdistress

looks like a solid guitar. probably would need better pickups.
Peavey Vypyr 30
Snark SN1

Squier Matt Freeman Precision Bass
Kustom KBA100
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: