Password
Search:

Old 06-08-2007, 12:00 AM   #21
madpickin03
Higher than ever

Dr. Jen, can i be the hot nurse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. riff
Hey I got a problem. I just switched the strings on my guitar (see sig) to Ernie Ball Light Top/Heavy Bottoms (10 - 52) so that I could get some lower tunings. But I get a crap load of fret buzz. I adjusted the bridge (a Floyd Rose Licenced Trem) to a reasonable height and messed with the trem springs in the back of the guitar but I can't get rid of all the fret buzz.

Also, on another note, I read that Ernie Ball slinky strings are bad for floating trems because of their elestacicity. Can anyone confirm this?

You might wanna adjust your truss rod a tad bit and make sure your action aint so low. Birdge parallel of course.

As for the EB case, that's a load of crap. I use it and they're fine, strings are preference.

Last edited by madpickin03 : 06-08-2007 at 12:03 AM.
madpickin03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:13 AM   #22
jj1565
Officially Knighted

Location: NewYork ............................... Hot Chick guitahh playah ~~teh sexay
Quote:
Around the first frets (really bad) and second frets (not so bad).

yep sounds like neck angle.
like said ^ by our resident hot nurse and floyd expert, it might be ur neck angle, assuming ur bridge is level.

with a level, balanced bridge, measure ur neck angle.

fret the first fret Low E string, at the same time,
fret the last fret Low E string, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held look at the middle frets. 7-9th.

if the strings lay on the fretwire there u have some backbow, and u need more bend.

probably not in ur case, but if there was more than a credit cards thickness space between the fretwire and the string there, then u would have too much bend.

anyway, measure and repost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
jj1565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:26 AM   #23
beetroot10
UG Fanatic

good idea nothing wrog with me guitar atm
Old 06-08-2007, 07:59 AM   #24
Hammy
Hammy

Hi Jenny,
question about changing strings.
Am i right in thinking that i would go about changing the strings on my Ibanez JS1000 (edge pro system) the same way as i would with a floyd rose trem system?
I Have searched forums but cannot find a deffinitive answer.
Thanks in advance.
Gibson SG Special Gothic II RAW
Ibanez JS 1000 VERSATILE
Gibson Les Paul Custom OOH BABY
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head & Cab LET'S ROCK
Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:04 AM   #25
Armon

Hi Jenny, guys,

Here's my story. Last January I bought some new strings for my strat clone. The guy behind the counter asked what brand and guage, but I was so noobish he gave me a pack of 10s. Since then I have got another guitar and I have compared the two. The action on the strat clone was all the way up and the neck seemed to be bowing up a little. Played like crap compared to my Ibanez as well.

Anyway, I just read the post above and tried it on mine. Holding the first and last fret down there was no room for a creditcard on the 7th-9th frets. Also, because I found my allen keys yesterday, I just tried to lower the action a bit, to see if that might solve anything. I broke my high E while LOOSENING it lol. That's not supposed to happen is it.

So my question is (sorry for the long story), can anyone tell what's wrong and how to solve it. Thanks
Armon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:06 AM   #26
jj1565
Officially Knighted

Location: NewYork ............................... Hot Chick guitahh playah ~~teh sexay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy
Hi Jenny,
Am i right in thinking that i would go about changing the strings on my Ibanez JS1000 (edge pro system) the same way as i would with a floyd rose trem system?
Thanks in advance.

i would think so, ive never held that guitar, but i would assume u could stabilize the bridge first with a 9 volt battery sized block for behind the trem, and or swap one string at a time... unless u meant how u thread them thru the bridge?

Quote:
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:10 AM   #27
jj1565
Officially Knighted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armon
Hi Jenny, guys,

Here's my story. Last January I bought some new strings for my strat clone. The guy behind the counter asked what brand and guage, but I was so noobish he gave me a pack of 10s. Since then I have got another guitar and I have compared the two. The action on the strat clone was all the way up and the neck seemed to be bowing up a little. Played like crap compared to my Ibanez as well.

Anyway, I just read the post above and tried it on mine. Holding the first and last fret down there was no room for a creditcard on the 7th-9th frets. Also, because I found my allen keys yesterday, I just tried to lower the action a bit, to see if that might solve anything. I broke my high E while LOOSENING it lol. That's not supposed to happen is it.

So my question is (sorry for the long story), can anyone tell what's wrong and how to solve it. Thanks

well u probably did have 10's on before, but if u took all the strings off at once, im guessing the neck relaxed a bit.

you can swap strings again, this time one at a time get a set of 11's.
and make sure the bridge is flat against the body of the strat.

or if u like the 10's repost and ill talk u thru a neck adjustment, so u can lower ur action without buzz.

and no, usually, unless there is a sharp edge on the saddle, nothing should snap with such a minor action adjustment.

also, u say loosening the action. hopefully, u mean raising and lowering. action, like shown above.

Quote:

Old 06-08-2007, 08:12 AM   #28
timo1
Red and white

Thanks for this thread Jenny.So annyways, I want to change from guage 9s to 11s (and my guitar came with 9s) do I need to adjust the truss rod or get a new nut or something

,Tim
Old 06-08-2007, 08:13 AM   #29
bartdevil_metal
Uses Jackson and Line6.

Two things:

How do you lower the action on an Ibanez RG321MH?

And

What is "Killswitching"?
Old 06-08-2007, 08:15 AM   #30
rockr09
Should've Been A Cowboy..

Could you explain when and how you should make a truss rod adjustment?
Old 06-08-2007, 08:24 AM   #31
jackal20
Santana Fan

as related to a few post here, would i need to adjust my truss rod if switching from 10s to 11s?

Vox AD30VT

Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Dunlop Crybaby

Member #3 of the Carvin Club (PM MESAexplorer to join)
jackal20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:24 AM   #32
jj1565
Officially Knighted

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo1
Thanks for this thread Jenny.So annyways, I want to change from guage 9s to 11s (and my guitar came with 9s) do I need to adjust the truss rod or get a new nut or something

,Tim

11's arent a huge step. you might just notice a higher action on a TOM bridge
or the bridge lifting a bit on a strat style.

both things are adjustable.

as for the nut cuts... it shouldnt matter but i wouldnt know unless i looked at the guitar.

swap one string at a time, for most stability.

Quote:

Old 06-08-2007, 08:28 AM   #33
Armon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
well u probably did have 10's on before, but if u took all the strings off at once, im guessing the neck relaxed a bit.

you can swap strings again, this time one at a time get a set of 11's.
and make sure the bridge is flat against the body of the strat.

or if u like the 10's repost and ill talk u thru a neck adjustment, so u can lower ur action without buzz.

and no, usually, unless there is a sharp edge on the saddle, nothing should snap with such a minor action adjustment.

also, u say loosening the action. hopefully, u mean raising and lowering. action, like shown above.

Thanks for the reply. I'll get 11s next time. The string snapped at the tuner, the saddle seems to be fine. Oh and I loosened the string a bit because I've read that somewhere. Action is raised and lowered, yes I know. edit: I did swap em one at a time iirc.
Armon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:29 AM   #34
jj1565
Officially Knighted

jackal: same ifo goes for u. you would probably only need a slight adjustment, if u almost needed one right now. no one can tell u 100% for sure, until u change them.

also: today UG wont let me edit.

Quote:

Old 06-08-2007, 08:30 AM   #35
mrrman

Quote:
Around the first frets (really bad) and second frets (not so bad).

same for me( fret buzz)
mrrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:31 AM   #36
jj1565
Officially Knighted

rockr09 you need to measure ur neck angle first. post #28^ then repost with what u found.

and ur welcome^ up there. sorry im getting behind here.

ill be back in an hour guys

Quote:

Old 06-08-2007, 08:32 AM   #37
jj1565
Officially Knighted

ok mrman same for u, measure ur neck angle, see if the string is on the fretwire there.
if it is, u dont have enough bend. and ill repost with how to make minor adjustments in about an hour.

Quote:

Old 06-08-2007, 08:50 AM   #38
rockr09
Should've Been A Cowboy..

Yeah, I measured it, and it needs adjusting.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:28 AM   #39
madpickin03
Higher than ever

Nurse taking over, Doctor is out for lunch...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy
Hi Jenny,
Thanks in advance.

here you go
http://ultimate-guitar.com/columns/...ing_guitar.html

EDIT: I just read that its an EdgePro system, what you can actually do is undo the string lockers and insert the ball end inside, you dont have to cut them.

Last edited by madpickin03 : 06-08-2007 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:35 AM   #40
madpickin03
Higher than ever

***Note to future posters plz dont ask the doc the same thing again, thx***

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockr09
Yeah, I measured it, and it needs adjusting.

How To Adjust The Truss Rod

1) Always make sure that you're in your desired perfect tuning pitch.
2) Measure your neck relief and see whether its proper. Fret the 1st fret low E and the 19th/20th fret where the neck meets the body and see the 8th fretwire. There should be a clearance of at least 0.3mm-0.5mm between the low E and the fretwire.
3) If the string lays dead on the fretboard/fretwires or below 0.3mm (0.2 i still ok IMO), then you'd need to loosen your truss rod. If the string is higher than 0.5mm, then you have to much neck relief, you need to tighten your truss rod.
4) Always tighten or loosen your truss rod in 1/4th of a turn or 1/8th of a turn each time, and let rest between each turn for about 10-20 minutes to let your neck adjust to its new settings.
5) Check your neck relief by performing step#2 again and see whether its proper. Also, make sure that you're still in your desired tuning and re-check every now and then if your tuning runs off.
6) After you've accomplish to let your neck relief to be at least in between 0.3mm and 0.5mm, again, let the neck rest.

Tips:
- You can get extra hands and use a feeler gauge to measure your 8th fretwire or just simply capo the 1st fret. This is for more accurate measurement.
- Important* If your action is too high, that may also be the cause of your neck relief being higher than it should, i suggest that you restore the low E action to its factory setting (normally 2mm-3mm above the 12th fretwire) and measure your neck relief.

Various adjusting tool. Left (Allen Key), Right (Barrel Wrench)

Helpful websites:
- http://projectguitar.com/tut/trussadjust.htm
- http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step3
- http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/trussrods.htm

------------------------------------------ madpickin03------------------------------------------

Rate This Thread: