Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-05-2016, 12:00 PM   #1
frangs

Greg Bennett TR30 - Opinion, How to improve it?

Hello, I need some help.

I have this Greg Bennett (Samick) guitar which I love aesthetically and feel very comfortable to play, and would like to know how to improve it and if those possible improvements would worth the investment as it isn't a high-end instrument.

The web page for this model (http://gregbennettguitars.com/guita...no-series/tr30/) reads the following features:

Double cutaway sculpted body
3 piece Mahogany set neck
Rosewood fingerboard (12” radius)
Nut width 1 5/8”
Dual wave inlay
22 fret, 24” scale
Chrome hardware
Grover™ A102-C, 14:1 ratio tuners
Stop tailpiece with adjustable bridge
Dual Duncan Designed humbucker pickups (HB-103N, HB 103B)
2 volume, 2 tone controls
3-way selector switch

I already have a bone nut to change it for the plastic one it has.

I has two Duncan Designed pickups which I feel sound quite good for the price, but I was wondering which pickups could improve the sound without spending a big amount. I was thinking of two options:

1.- "Convert" it into a Gibson SG type guitar and put some pickups with an AC/DC alike sound. They dont need to be the same that a Gibson carries but something which sounded similar and better of course than the Duncan Designed. I like this thick sound (AC/DC, HEaven and Hell by Black Sabbath, etc...)

2.- Put one of the pickups above mentioned in point 1, and then put another different pickup in the style of a stratocaster o telecaster to have a brighter sound and even strumming clean without any distorsion or crunch effect. I thought this would make it more versatile.

I will stop here for now. I have no experience on guitar tuning so any advice will be welcome.
frangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #2
bobafettacheese

All depends on what amp you are playing through before you start throwing money at pickups.
Misc. Pedals
bobafettacheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:47 PM   #3
frangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettacheese
All depends on what amp you are playing through before you start throwing money at pickups.

At the moment I am using a Blackstar ID Core 10 Stereo which is enough because I am practising basically at home (never can go beyond half volume with distortion).
I have an old 80w one which I used to play through some years ago, but it is not working properly now.

But I dont understand why you need to know the amp. I mean, given any amp the change from the Duncan Designed to good PAF should be noted, no?
Also, as I said I am not looking for the exact AC/DC sound; just to get something in that range and of course better than the Designed I have now.

thanks for answering!
Old 02-05-2016, 04:00 PM   #4
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Nope. Your amp will define your tone more than any other single piece of gear. Think of the amp as the ice cream in the sundae.

As for modding your guitar, if it is reasonably well put together, feels good in your hands and you like it, mod it to your heart's content!

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Quote:
alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:13 PM   #5
grim1
Yes i like Winger.

Changed out Duncan Designed pickups in my Jackson to real Duncans(can't remember which ones, the CUSTOM CUSTOM maybe) but the difference was exceptional. This is for a guitar that my father plays mostly and he only plays through an IDcore20 with a multi effects pedal, he says that there is a big difference between the old pickups and new.

Do your research on what pickups you think you want and change those DD pickups out.
grim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:15 PM   #6
Mincer

Changing out the DD pickups to real Duncans will be a big improvement. A Jazz/Custom set or Whole Lotta Humbucker set would get you where you want to go (slightly hotter than vintage).
Old 02-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #7
Tony Done

With my tastes in music, I would swap the pickups for vintage weight four-wire uncovered humbuckers and add series/single/parallel switching for vesatility. If you just go for series/single or series/parallel, you can do it with a couple of push-pull pots, one for each pickup. I used a 4pdt on-on-on switch that switches both pickups at the same time to series, single or parallel.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:48 PM   #8
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor

if you want to get a good sound with little money, look at the GFS Fat Pat. They run $30 new and they sound really good
www.guitarfetish.com
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:15 AM   #9
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.

start off with a new amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:51 AM   #10
frangs

Thanks for the inputs everyone.

But first I want to change the pickups because I would need at least twice o three times the budget if I went for the amp.

Robbgnarly, before I read your post I was doing some "research" on which pick-ups I could buy and I came up with this video () where some guy is testing three different picks (GFS Fat Pat, Gibson 57 Classic, Seymour Duncan 59) without saying which guitar has which pick-up until the end of the video. If you guys have the time I recommend you to choose your favourite one before blowing the lid off. (you probably already saw this video...)

I loved the sound of the GFS Fat Pat. I think something like this would be a perfect fit for a 300-400euros guitar like mine.

My hesitation is about how to combine the pick-ups.

Do you think the idea of putting one GFS Fat Pat together with a Telecaster type pickup can work?
My idea is being able to play for example some AC/DC with one pickup and then without changing guitar some CCR Proud Mary for example (something with clean open chords without any distortion or crunch) just switching picks.

I dont know if this combination has some added issues or if playing with both pickups combined at the same time would sound just bad...

Tony Done. As I said this would be my first upgrade on any guitar I have had. I would have to look for some schemes on internet. I maybe can start with just changing the pick-ups and your option would be a further upgrade in the future.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:07 AM   #11
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

if you're in europe there might be other options which are easier/cheaper to get hold of than GFS- I haven't tried them but entwistles and irongear get a good rep for the price (I think).

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:07 AM   #12
frangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
if you're in europe there might be other options which are easier/cheaper to get hold of than GFS- I haven't tried them but entwistles and irongear get a good rep for the price (I think).

I would have to check some of them. One guy is selling me one for 25 euros (one GFS Fat Pat). Looks like the same price of a new one in USA, but they are probably more expensive in Europe. Also, it seems it isnt so easy to find them here, at least you dont see lof of offers when googling.

Last edited by frangs : 02-08-2016 at 12:27 PM. Reason: specifying type of pickup
Old 02-09-2016, 07:53 AM   #13
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah i think they're only available from GFS in the USA so that's why they're less common in europe. if you find one second-hand locally though that should sidestep most of those problems (just the usual caveats about being careful when buying second-hand apply).

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:11 PM   #14
SpiderM
Geetar playing marsupial

Quote:
Originally Posted by frangs
But first I want to change the pickups because I would need at least twice o three times the budget if I went for the amp.

Sorry fella but I agree with the others. It sounds like, if you go for pick ups now, you are delaying your amp purchase and that is where the big gains are (pardon the pun).
With a new amp you may well realise that you don't even need new pups and you've saved yourself some money.

That said, it's your decision and if that money is burning a hole in your pocket you can ignore some of the advice you came on here for
SpiderM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:09 AM   #15
frangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderM
Sorry fella but I agree with the others. It sounds like, if you go for pick ups now, you are delaying your amp purchase and that is where the big gains are (pardon the pun).
With a new amp you may well realise that you don't even need new pups and you've saved yourself some money.

That said, it's your decision and if that money is burning a hole in your pocket you can ignore some of the advice you came on here for

No, it's ok. If you all with some experience think that, then it must be so.

It happens that I just started to play with a guy on drums now (just today!), and I realized that with this 10W the drums eat me alive. The place is really small, a tiny room (9-11 m2) in his garage conditioned for making noise without the neighbours noticing it.

It thought that setting the volume to the maximum and with the "SUPER CRUNCH" effect on, it would be enough.

But I am thinking that I will need at least 20W. Any good amp for something like this? As I said I like to play classic rock (mostly with some crunch or distortion effect).
Old 02-10-2016, 11:29 AM   #16
frangs

WHat about a system like this (http://www.ld-systems.com/en/series...h-mixer/#videos) where you can connect a micro for voice also?

I was thinking that I would need somthing for vocals also. Is there a kind of compact amp+mixer+loudspeaker with a reasonable quality?

Last edited by frangs : 02-10-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:14 PM   #17
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frangs
No, it's ok. If you all with some experience think that, then it must be so.

It happens that I just started to play with a guy on drums now (just today!), and I realized that with this 10W the drums eat me alive. The place is really small, a tiny room (9-11 m2) in his garage conditioned for making noise without the neighbours noticing it.

It thought that setting the volume to the maximum and with the "SUPER CRUNCH" effect on, it would be enough.

But I am thinking that I will need at least 20W. Any good amp for something like this? As I said I like to play classic rock (mostly with some crunch or distortion effect).

even a 20watt SS amp will not be enough. look for something 50watts and up if you go SS and a 12" speaker. Peavey Vypyr is worth a look
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:54 AM   #18
frangs

I finally bought a Blackstar ID60 TVP.
Thanks for all the advices about buying first a new good amp (at least for me Blackstar is good!). Best advice ever.
It's amazing how good you can sound with a decent amp and only some Duncan Designed pickups.

I guess now I am allowed to change the pickups .

I checked some GFS FAT PAT youtube comparisons and I must say they sound amazing compared to other supposed better pickups (Gibson or Seymour Duncan). Actually I listened to them without knowing which one was sounding at that moment and my choice was the GFS's (at least for crunch or distortion, not so much for clean strumming).

I was thinking of buying a pair of GFS's for my SG Greg Bennett and some Filter-tron style pickups for a ES335 style Samick (maybe also at GFS, they dont need to be Gretsch).

I love the AC/DC crunchy sound but at the same time I would like being able to play some "clean" tunes (like Proud Mary or Down on the corner, by the CCR), just changing from neck to bridge pickup or viceversa.

Is there any combination of pickups which would fit for this?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:15 AM   #19
Evilnine
Diabolus in Musica

US

I'm going to go against the grain here, amps for sure are the key to getting the tone you are after, but I have always upgraded my pickups in virtually all of the guitars I have owned evey since I was 15, I am 47, and several of those pickups were upgraded when I was young and playing through less than steller amplification.

The pickups will make a difference, it will not be huge life altering difference that you may be seeking, but depending on what set you buy it should be noticeable.

Some of the Duncan Designed pups sound pretty good so a switch to real Duncans with a lessor amp may not offer much of a difference.

If you can afford new pickups but are nowhere near being able to upgrade to the amp you want, then go for it. If you do then make sure to keep the old pickups and if you decide to sell the guitar later put them back in, because them upgraded pups will typically not increase the selling price, yank them out to put in your new guitar.

Ideally upgrading the amp would indeed be your best bet.
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine : 04-28-2016 at 09:16 AM.
Evilnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:39 PM   #20
SpiderM
Geetar playing marsupial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilnine
I'm going to go against the grain here, amps for sure are the key to getting the tone you are after, but I have always upgraded my pickups in virtually all of the guitars I have owned evey since I was 15, I am 47, and several of those pickups were upgraded when I was young and playing through less than steller amplification.

The pickups will make a difference, it will not be huge life altering difference that you may be seeking, but depending on what set you buy it should be noticeable.

I don't think you are going against the grain. I think we all agree that pickups will make some difference but the amp will have more of an affect.....which is also what you said
SpiderM is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: