Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-02-2014, 01:28 AM   #1
Guitarmaaaan666

Looking for a budget metal guitar

Hello, this is my first post/thread here on the UG forum

At the moment I am playing on a 2010 Gibson Sg special that I ended up getting for 1000$ with an Epiphone hard case.
I'm from Australia so some guitars are very hard to get over, especially in my area.
I'm looking for a good metal guitar for Death metal, Black Metal, Thrash metal, Metalcore, Melodic Death Metal and Power Metal. I've just got a Roland Cube 80 XL but in a couple of months I'm buying one of those discontinued Laney Lc-50 50 watt valve amps.

My criteria is
Neck thru
24 Jumbo Frets
Rosewood/Ebony Fingerboard
Maple neck
Alder or Basswood body
Active Emgs (open for consideration)
6 Strings
Floyd Rose (licensed will do)
Nice sound
Awesome look

So far I have 2 in mind.
I was expecting to get a Jackson RRXMG for ages. I spoke to the only Jackson dealer in my state and they said they could order one in for $1500. I was really only expecting $1000. I then entered another store. On the wall I saw a Bc Rich hanging from the wall. A Mocking Bird Pro X in shadow.
The ebony fingerboard and gold hardware was appealing.

I am very stuck. I have no idea which to get. I have always had a fondness for jacksons. Is there any better alternatives for my money?
Guitarmaaaan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:01 AM   #2
Blackfire.
There goes my money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmaaaan666
Hello, this is my first post/thread here on the UG forum

At the moment I am playing on a 2010 Gibson Sg special that I ended up getting for 1000$ with an Epiphone hard case.
I'm from Australia so some guitars are very hard to get over, especially in my area.
I'm looking for a good metal guitar for Death metal, Black Metal, Thrash metal, Metalcore, Melodic Death Metal and Power Metal. I've just got a Roland Cube 80 XL but in a couple of months I'm buying one of those discontinued Laney Lc-50 50 watt valve amps.

My criteria is
Neck thru
24 Jumbo Frets
Maple neck
Alder or Basswood body
6 Strings
Nice sound
Awesome look

So far I have 2 in mind.
I was expecting to get a Jackson RRXMG for ages. I spoke to the only Jackson dealer in my state and they said they could order one in for $1500. I was really only expecting $1000. I then entered another store. On the wall I saw a Bc Rich hanging from the wall. A Mocking Bird Pro X in shadow.
The ebony fingerboard and gold hardware was appealing.

I am very stuck. I have no idea which to get. I have always had a fondness for jacksons. Is there any better alternatives for my money?

Both Jackson and BC Rich are great for what you want to play. You will probably get more for your money with BC Rich when buying the higher end guitars though. I have both brands and thinking about adding a second Jackson. All depends on what you like though.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:35 AM   #3
TYSHADOWS
Yes. I have a mullet.

If your going to look at BC Riches i would check out their NJ Deluxe line. Great build quality, never had issues with them, while when i attempted to buy a jackson there was major defects (w/tremolo) in all 3 i tried to order (given not the one your looking at) The only part of the criteria that this doesn't meet is it is mahogany. Very very good guitar though, played AWESOME. very comfortable to play sitting down as well. Really cant get much more metal than this! epic choice of colors as well (inlays are to die for) and only $800 http://bcrich.com/models/guitars/Wa...k-NJ-Deluxe/106

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmastamitch
It's Ola. He can make a potato sound like anything he wants.

Last edited by TYSHADOWS : 04-02-2014 at 10:39 AM.
TYSHADOWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:43 PM   #4
Blackfire.
There goes my money

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYSHADOWS
If your going to look at BC Riches i would check out their NJ Deluxe line. Great build quality, never had issues with them, while when i attempted to buy a jackson there was major defects (w/tremolo) in all 3 i tried to order (given not the one your looking at) The only part of the criteria that this doesn't meet is it is mahogany. Very very good guitar though, played AWESOME. very comfortable to play sitting down as well. Really cant get much more metal than this! epic choice of colors as well (inlays are to die for) and only $800 http://bcrich.com/models/guitars/Wa...k-NJ-Deluxe/106

Yep love mine.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:05 PM   #5
TYSHADOWS
Yes. I have a mullet.

^I think I drooled a little.....a lot

Quote:

Last edited by TYSHADOWS : 04-02-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:02 AM   #6
dannyalcatraz

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:05 AM   #7
Guitarmaaaan666

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm really looking at that Warlock NJ Deluxe and it looks great! I think i need to play a few cause I already have a mahogony body/neck guitar but I wouldn't care if it sounded good and did what i needed to do!
Guitarmaaaan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:32 AM   #8
Blackfire.
There goes my money

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYSHADOWS
^I think I drooled a little.....a lot

Quote:
Thanks for all the help guys! I'm really looking at that Warlock NJ Deluxe and it looks great! I think i need to play a few cause I already have a mahogony body/neck guitar but I wouldn't care if it sounded good and did what i needed to do!

It has the criteria you're looking for except the wood type which won't matter that much. Also you don't want a licensed Floyd Rose, the NJ Deluxe comes with a Floyd Rose Original which is great.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:22 AM   #9
TYSHADOWS
Yes. I have a mullet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfire.
It has the criteria you're looking for except the wood type which won't matter that much. Also you don't want a licensed Floyd Rose, the NJ Deluxe comes with a Floyd Rose Original which is great.

And there IS a huge difference between liscensed and original. And the wood won't make a huge difference, next to none with actives in it. You should be fine there.

Quote:
Old 04-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #10
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser

I tried that Warlock in a local music shop once, seemed like a very nice guitar.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #11
Quiffmiester

If you were UK-based I'd suggest you take a look at my Ibanez XPT700...

As you're not, maybe try having a look at some slightly less mad-looking options? Maybe an ESP Horizon or an Ibanez RG (prestige), with a view to changing the pickups down the line. The Ibanez RG prestiges have very fast, thin necks.

My stuff for sale - all offers considered:
Ibanez XPT700
Zoom G9.2tt
Vox AD50VT

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...74&page=3&pp=20
Quiffmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:56 PM   #12
TYSHADOWS
Yes. I have a mullet.

Quote:
My criteria is
Awesome look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiffmiester
As you're not, maybe try having a look at some slightly less mad-looking options? Maybe an ESP Horizon or an Ibanez RG (prestige), with a view to changing the pickups down the line.

No offense to any of those guitars, but that's not what I think of when I hear awesome look, thats more....deviloushly handsome plus neither guitar he was looking at had the classic cut out look. Figured he'd enjoy something a little more "mad"

Quote:

Last edited by TYSHADOWS : 04-03-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
W1tchf1nder

Ibanez Gio + some thicker strings of your choice is about as budget as you can get. The Gios are actually pretty nice for the price too.
W1tchf1nder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #14
TYSHADOWS
Yes. I have a mullet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W1tchf1nder
Ibanez Gio + some thicker strings of your choice is about as budget as you can get. The Gios are actually pretty nice for the price too.

If you read his criteria that instantly leaves those OUT. And his budget is 1000 so he could actually get a quality guitar instead of a budget "pretty nice" one.
and its not neck through which is a huge difference than what he wanted that you shouldnt settle for not having when upgrading your axe

heres a review thats on UG.

Features: This guitar was given to me by a friend who was himself, re gifting it. I would never in a million years have paid money for it. This 2007 Chinese made guitar has 22 frets on a rosewood fretboard w/dot inlays, affixed to a thin maple neck which is bolted onto a Deep Purple basswood body which is cut in a style similar to a Strat. It has two passive electronic humbucking pickups, one volume control knob, one tone control knob, and one 3 way selector Switch which are all set on a black pickguard. It has a chrome Floyd Rose inspired tremolo bridge(NOT AN ACTUAL Floyd Rose BRIDGE). I'm not sure Who makes the tuners, but they and the nut are NON locking. // 3

Sound: This guitar doesn't suit ANY style of music, unless you've developed a new style specifically for the tone deaf. It doesn't stay in tune. The intonation will not set properly and the pickups are TERRIBLE. I've worked this thing over really good on a Line 6 Spider 4 with every conceivable effect and I haven't heard anything good enough that would warrant trying it on a REAL set up. The cheap wood, shoddy hardware and WEAK pickups leave this "instrument" sounding flat, with little sustain or tonal character. // 1

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was fairly decent right out of the box, but I did make minor adjustments to the truss rod. The intonation was WAY off and virtually impossible to set properly. The adjustment of the pickups is irrelevant as it sounds like garbage regardless of their position. There really weren't any flaws in it's construction. Everything seems to fit together as it was intended, but it is an I'll conceived design which performs very badly. // 2

Reliability & Durability: I can't imagine trying to gig this highly polished piece of firewood. Between the loosey goosey tuners, non locking nut, bolt on neck, and bottom of the line floating bridge, it WILL NOT stay in tune through an entire song. And even if it did, it sounds terrible. This is NOT a guitar for a serious musician or anyone Who has full use of their auditory perception, for that matter. It is shoddily made out of substandard materials and if you have the patience to play this thing on a daily basis, it will eventually fall apart on you. I'm sure the finish is durable enough, but after everything else, that point is moot. // 2

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 15 years and I play everything from jazz, blues, rock, punk, and metal to classical guitar music. I currently own three Gibsons, a Fender, a Gretsch, and a Schecter. I practice at home on a Line 6 Spider 4 and I play out on Marshal, Blackstar, and Orange set ups, using a variety of pedals and stomp boxes. I have literally played 100s of guitars and this is among the worst of them. I wouldn't even recommend this piece of garbage to a beginner, as for another $100 you can get a FAR superior instrument. Granted, you just aren't going to find a REALLY GREAT quality new guitar for less than 5 or 6 hundred dollars, but you can easily find one WAY better than the GIO or $250-$350. If you have a spoiled teenager who won't stop whining about getting a guitar but lacks the attention span to ever learn how to play well, this is the perfect guitar to waste on them. Other than that, I cannot in good conscience recommend this over sized tooth pick for anything other than perhaps smashing to pieces as a stage prop. It might also make an effective doorstop as well. The Ibanez GIO is the bottom of the barrel in an already mediocre line of guitars. // 2

Quote:
Old 04-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #15
Quiffmiester

Quote:
No offense to any of those guitars, but that's not what I think of when I hear awesome look

Me neither, but I thought some alternative suggestions could give the thread starter more ideas to investigate. The RG isn't even thru neck, so I failed on almost all criteria there....

Even if my specific suggestions are ignored, I'd encourage the thread starter to try a couple of guitars that may not meet all his specs, just to see which of the specs are actually deal-clinchers.

My stuff for sale - all offers considered:
Ibanez XPT700
Zoom G9.2tt
Vox AD50VT

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...74&page=3&pp=20
Quiffmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #16
TYSHADOWS
Yes. I have a mullet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiffmiester
Me neither, but I thought some alternative suggestions could give the thread starter more ideas to investigate. The RG isn't even thru neck, so I failed on almost all criteria there....

Even if my specific suggestions are ignored, I'd encourage the thread starter to try a couple of guitars that may not meet all his specs, just to see which of the specs are actually deal-clinchers.

I do agree with that. And the horizon is definatly a great guitar. And it's always good to try out everything. I'd be a hypocrite if I said otherwise but I still think the nj deluxe warlock is exactly what he's looking for

Quote:
Old 04-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #17
dspellman

Quote:
My criteria is
Neck thru
24 Jumbo Frets
Maple neck
Alder or Basswood body
6 Strings
Nice sound
Awesome lookIs there any better alternatives for my money?

The problem is "I'm from Australia, so some guitars are very hard to get..."

What's funny about this is that a friend of mine, originally from Australia, had her brother here in LA for a couple of weeks, and he went back home with a black Carvin DC-127 with a "tilted pointy" (jackson-esque). It met all of your criteria (ebony f/b, stainless Jumbo frets, Floyd Rose Original), except for the Active EMGs (he wanted something a bit sweeter). He preferred a mahogany neck-body, but it had 24 frets, a 25" scale. We toured the factory, and he was all ready to order a guitar when one of the customers mentioned that he had one he wanted to sell off. It was pristine, half the new ($US) price. Very happy guy.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: