Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-24-2014, 10:45 PM   #1
DarkF1ame777

Durable guitar strings?

aye whats up guys hope you had a great day, i started thinking about this, i see all these people with their like super shinny guitar strings really clean and everything and i ask how or which strings are they using because i usually buy ernie ball power slinky, regular slinky, and recently and new favorite hybrid, after 30 minutes of playing i notice the strings start to lose color, is it normal? anyone know any guitar strings with great sound that have like the shiny color on them, that it holds for a long time? my strings get really dark after a month, i play about like 1 hour and a half daily, not all continued but like in different times, i play in the morning, i play later, then later, then later, and yeah you know it, so any suggestions? thanks guys
DarkF1ame777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
SrThompson

30 minutes is too short I reckon.

The shine depends on several factors.

Do you keep your guitar on a case/bag after you play?
Do you wipe your guitar with a dry cloth after you finish playing or every now and then while your playing?
Do you wash your hands before you play?
Do you sweat a lot?
Do you clean your strings with some sort of string cleaner?

At any point, it is said that if you play A LOT, you should change them every month and half or so.
SrThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:06 PM   #3
DarkF1ame777

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrThompson
30 minutes is too short I reckon.

The shine depends on several factors.

Do you keep your guitar on a case/bag after you play?
Do you wipe your guitar with a dry cloth after you finish playing or every now and then while your playing?
Do you wash your hands before you play?
Do you sweat a lot?
Do you clean your strings with some sort of string cleaner?

At any point, it is said that if you play A LOT, you should change them every month and half or so.

No
No
No
Yes
No
damn now i see why this happens, thanks dude some really good info, i overlooked those things
DarkF1ame777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:25 PM   #4
VVolverin3
Caparison Enthusiast

Location: Australia FTW Club, PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join
You could also try coated strings, like Elixirs. I love elixirs personally. Last for months, years even (granted I'm not playing hours a day or anything...)
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
VVolverin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:52 PM   #5
kurtebirdi

i find that elixirs tend to last 2-3 times longer than any other string i've tried. they're a little more expensive than ernie ball and company but if you're like me and loathe changing strings then give em a try

i also have sweaty hands which tend to wear my strings out pretty quickly, my friend's strings last longer than mine and he plays a good bit more often than i do.
kurtebirdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:11 AM   #6
HomerSGR
What?

Sweating is as already mentioned the number one reason for the strings to go bad. It pretty much all depends on that. I am lucky in that I usually do not have any detectable perspiration at all while playing so my strings tend to last much longer than anyone playing a lot would feel comfortable playing on a set of strings. I change mine when there's groves in them from the frets.

At times I have let other people borrow one of my guitars for an hour, and when I have gotten it back the strings would be as dull after months of me playing them on my own. Everyone should take string change advice based on personal situation!

"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

*How you know you have too many guitars...

Last edited by HomerSGR : 09-25-2014 at 12:15 AM.
HomerSGR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:54 AM   #7
olix95

Seriously, those elixirs are great. regular strings i can push about one month at best with regular cleaning, but i can keep a set of polywebs going for good 5 months while playing many hours a few times a week.
olix95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:17 AM   #8
lightningjoe88

The amount of oils you have on your hands and sweat can dramatically shorten the lifespan of strings. It may sound silly, but every time before I play I wash my hands with soap and water. It also makes it so I'm not just sitting around waiting for my tubes to warm up. I have a case for all my guitars too and once I'm done playing I wipe off the body, neck, and strings to keep everything fresh and clean. Doesn't take long, definitely worth it!
09 Gibson Firebird Studio w/ vintage SDs > Korg Pitchblack Tuner > Xotic SP Comp > Russian EHX Big Muff Pi > EHX Soul Food > TC Electronic Nova Delay > BBE Sonic Stomp > ADA Flanger > Koch Multitone > Avatar Contemporary 2x12 w/ Celestion Creambacks
lightningjoe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:22 AM   #9
shiggityswah

I also use elixirs. Used to use ernie ball and D'addario, but won't go back after using elixirs. They last a long time and feel great. A little more expensive but they last at least 3 times as long in my experience. They maintain their feel and sound for a decent length of time.
shiggityswah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:12 AM   #10
reverb66

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkF1ame777
aye whats up guys hope you had a great day, i started thinking about this, i see all these people with their like super shinny guitar strings really clean and everything and i ask how or which strings are they using because i usually buy ernie ball power slinky, regular slinky, and recently and new favorite hybrid, after 30 minutes of playing i notice the strings start to lose color, is it normal? anyone know any guitar strings with great sound that have like the shiny color on them, that it holds for a long time? my strings get really dark after a month, i play about like 1 hour and a half daily, not all continued but like in different times, i play in the morning, i play later, then later, then later, and yeah you know it, so any suggestions? thanks guys

If you're playing 1 hour and a half per day you should probably change the strings bi-weekly. It depends on the person. When I was gigging I would change them after every show or two. It's normal for regular strings to get used up very fast.

The coated strings, such as exlixirs etc., will definitely last longer but they sound terrible to my ears.
reverb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #11
halikus

Ye I have to concur with the Elixir recommendation, Got a PRS in a trade back in Feb with a fresh set on em. Play a good 3 or 4 times a week for several hours a go and the strings are still perfect 7 months down the line. Top stuff, well worth the extra dough.
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
halikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:41 AM   #12
HomerSGR
What?

The drawbacks of Elixirs are that they sound brighter than regular strings due to being stainless steel, which also makes them much harder on the frets and hardware. I would never use them because of that. Fretwork is much more expensive than buying new strings.

"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

*How you know you have too many guitars...
HomerSGR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:08 AM   #13
bptrav

I also have to agree with the Elixir recommendation. They aren't THAT much more expensive than "normal" strings either. They more than make up the difference with their longevity. What HomerSGR said is true though, they will wear out frets faster (the coating on the thicker strings might prevent this to some extent though). I actually prefer the brighter sound of stainless steel strings, especially on my Jackson with double humbuckers (which can sound a bit muddy playing clean stuff).

I have an allergy to Nickel though, so it's a choice between increased fret wear of Elixir/Ernie Ball stainless steel or not playing guitar at all. You can get stainless steel frets too which should last longer, although I haven't tried them myself since a refret costs more than my guitars.
bptrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM   #14
67_67
Registered Sex Offender

Elixirs will last a long time, but they seem to do so at the expense of decent tone. I tried them once and I really didn't like how they sounded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggan13
67_67 wins the thread

http://facebook.com/idlehouruk
http://idlehour.bandcamp.com/
67_67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM   #15
Roc8995

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSGR
The drawbacks of Elixirs are that they sound brighter than regular strings due to being stainless steel, which also makes them much harder on the frets and hardware. I would never use them because of that. Fretwork is much more expensive than buying new strings.

That's just plain false. Elixirs are industry standard nickel plated just like D'Addario and EB strings.

http://www.elixirstrings.com/guitar...ar-strings.html

They sound bright for sure, and if you don't like the sound that's a good enough reason not to use them, but they're not SS.

Rate This Thread: