Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
strat-O-matic92

Tex Mex pickups..

Thinking of finally upgrading the pick ups in my 92 MIM strat. Was wondering if anyone had the tex mex pickups and if so,did u like them/how did they sound? Also any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I'm going for a hard bluesy overdriven sound. Thanks everyone.
strat-O-matic92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:57 PM   #2
columbiar

I just installed some in my old Ibanez stray copy. Huge improvement. Great sharp clarity. And not that expensive.
columbiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
dannyalcatraz

Don't know those in particular. What's your budget?

FWIW (and regardless of whatever other info you get in this thread), I have gotten excellent information sending emails to pickup companies to find out which of their products were best for a given desired tone.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:19 PM   #4
bronzepour

I just got a 60th anniversary strat in April. The fender 60th anniversary pickups sound incredible. They are only selling a limited run, like 1954 of them. They are either 100 or 150 per set. I love the way my strat sounds. I would suggest those fender pick ups as an option.
bronzepour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:15 AM   #5
mjones1992

I'd recommend checking out D. Allen pickups. I've tried a few different sets of Fender pickups and wasn't ever truly happy with the results. They're not bad, don't get me wrong, but if you're looking for 'dat vintage sound', I think D. Allen blows Fender's pickups out of the water.

I'm pretty sure D. Allen has a set called "Texas Flood" that are modeled after the Stevie tune. I ended up buying the VooDoo Blues set and I absolutely love them. They were exactly what I was looking for

Edit: Here are the Texas Floods I was talking about, and here are the '69 VooDoo pickups which are the same ones I got but the bridge pickup is different (much better demo on these though)

Last edited by mjones1992 : 07-19-2014 at 12:20 AM.
mjones1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:13 AM   #6
CaParker96

I just put a set in my MIM strat a few weeks ago. Like columbiar said, it was a nice improvement over the stock pickups (I had HSS). They are snappy and retain their clarity even at high gains. I would definitely recommend.
CaParker96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #7
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat-O-matic92
I'm going for a hard bluesy overdriven sound.

I can't remember if I've tried them or not but I think that's the type of sound they're aimed at. Obviously they're far from the only pickup which is aimed at that sound, most manufacturers do a set along those lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:11 PM   #8
Spud Spudly
Semi-hollow

I have tex mex pups in my MIM tele. They suck. If not for the fact I play unplugged most of the time I would replace them. Neither hard nor bluesy nor overdriven.

Last edited by Spud Spudly : 07-19-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Spud Spudly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:16 AM   #9
jon_six

check out Texas Special, Custom Shop 50s (my fav), and N3 noiseless. tex mex pickups IMO are trash. they just sound cheap to me.
jon_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #10
JustRooster
Organ Donor

For hard blues sounds, I'd recommend jumping up to the Texas Specials. They're more overwound, so you get that really hard attack. Tex-Mex are less aggressive, but have much more chime. They're fantastic for R&B, Surf, Soul, etc.

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #11
strat-O-matic92

thanks guys...looks like I've narrowed it down to some Texas Specials, 57/62's or some Fralin Hard Blues
Old 07-20-2014, 06:33 PM   #12
JustRooster
Organ Donor

All fantastic choices. Good luck narrowing them down to just one!

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #13
stormin1155

I had a Tex-Mex set in one of my strats. Definitely a step up from the ceramic pups that come stock in MIMs. For about the same money you can pick up a used set if MIA standard pickups on ebay, which are better sounding pickups.
stormin1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:00 PM   #14
strat-O-matic92

im actually really digging the Fat 50's alot!! the 57/62's sound great as well. Just got to see whats best for me considering I mostly play the blues w/some OD and reverb,maybe a little fuzz as well.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #15
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Fat 50's will give you a chunkier fuzz, the 57/62's will give your a thinner, but more saturated fuzz. The difference won't be night and day, but more nuanced.

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:

Rate This Thread: