Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-29-2015, 09:12 AM   #1
kassitoit

Epiphone Les Paul neck cracking?

Hey!
I noticed a crack on my Epiphone Les Paul Custom, near the neck x body area.
Is this normal paint crack or should I be worried?
The guitar is from 2007.
Pic:
http://www.upload.ee/image/4871290/...-2916.05.02.jpg

Last edited by kassitoit : 07-31-2015 at 06:27 AM.
kassitoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:43 AM   #2
MrFixIt

Yeah man, same here. I'm not worried, I have a LTD and it has the same cracks so I think it's normal! Don't worry.
MrFixIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:17 AM   #3
ad_works

the fretboard extension and the body are expanding and contracting in different directions and at different rates of movement due to the grain orientation and type of woods being used. as a result the finish cracks. there's many things at work here, humidity, glue creep, seasoning of the wood, etc... and also notice where the fretboard has moved outward and away from the frets? this is often caused by the wood swelling up with moisture from humidity. basically the neck gets fat and the frets stay put. guitars are organic constructs and as a result their wooden parts move around quite a bit.

it's a classic guitar problem -more so with acoustic guitars which can end up with the top cracked as well.

if there is no more evidence of additional cracks and the guitar seems structurally sound you should be ok. check up on it every now and then and consider the humidity where you are keeping it. guitars that are built in other countries can have issues when they are imported due to the weather differences at the time of construction between here and there. some companies do their best with climate control and some just don't.

if the finish cracks are bugging you, take it to a shop and ask about drop filling.

Last edited by ad_works : 07-29-2015 at 11:30 AM.
ad_works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:08 PM   #4
kassitoit

Thanks for fast replies. Those were the only cracks I saw. Other than that the guitar sound is excellent and I'm gonna let it stay like that. Doesn't bother me that much.
kassitoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:10 PM   #5
dthmtl3

Is there also a larger crack along the binding or am I seeing things?
dthmtl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:55 PM   #6
Rickholly74

My Epiphone Les Paul Standard has a similar crack and I'm pretty sure it just the finish as mentioned above. The crack in mine is bigger actually. Mine is a 2005 and was being sold very cheap ($180.00 in mint condition) because the owner was told by someone it was a crack in the neck itself. I have had it for a few years and it doesn't seem to be any worse and plays excellent. The luthier I apprentice with also thinks it's just a finish crack from wood swelling like ad works described above but without sanding down the finish you can't be 100% sure. As long as it plays well and has not gotten any worse, I'll stick with that diagnosis.

Last edited by Rickholly74 : 07-29-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Rickholly74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: