Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-23-2014, 03:45 AM   #1
dww2012

Help identify this guitar

So I was watching this video of David Bowie on SNL in 1979, and I noticed the guitarist was playing a very cool guitar that resembled a natural wood Stratocaster with humbuckers--something I've never seen before. Could someone possibly identify the make/model of this guitar?

Video: http://vimeo.com/83696019
Still image: http://i.imgur.com/3zrYS3Z.png
dww2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:27 AM   #2
dannyalcatraz

The guitarist is Adrian Belew, in his pre-Parker Fly days. Back then, he had a real taste for Fenders, especially Strats, so it probably was actually a Fender.

Nowadays, HH strat-like guitars are noting too unusual. Fender makes several, so does Godin, Carvin and a host of other makers.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:49 AM   #3
dww2012

I think the guitarist is Stacy Heydon...not sure if that changes anything in your answer though.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
Fastmerc

Well its neck through so most likely not a Fender. Looks very much like a Carvin, but don't know for certain yet.
Fastmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
Fastmerc

After more research, it is probably 1 of 3 things, a mighty mite neck thru, a boogies body neck thru, or there were a few Japanese companies making similar stuff like the sunset(although not a sunset due to the different headstock). If I had to guess it would be a luthier modded mighty mite setup. This one makes me curious so Im diggin deep...lol.
Fastmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #6
dww2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmerc
After more research, it is probably 1 of 3 things, a mighty mite neck thru, a boogies body neck thru, or there were a few Japanese companies making similar stuff like the sunset(although not a sunset due to the different headstock). If I had to guess it would be a luthier modded mighty mite setup. This one makes me curious so Im diggin deep...lol.

Thanks for doing all the research! I'm really curious about this one--it's probably wishful thinking that I could get my hands on one, but I still want to know what it is.

Rate This Thread: