Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 10-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
dhenia182
Registered User
 
dhenia182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Guitar for woman: Gibson SG or Explorer

Hey musician,
Im hunting for gibson under $1000 which is lightweight n fits for my short female body. Which one is better in sound and looks, gibson sg 60s tribute 2013 or gibson Sg speciAl 2014 or gibson explorer melody maker. PleAse give me some insight before i buy. Thanks a lot

Cheers,
Dhenia
dhenia182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:24 PM   #2
boblittle
meh
 
boblittle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
don't go for that MM.
__________________
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton II JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
boblittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
Zhaezzy
Registered User
 
Zhaezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
SG is lighter easier to throw around. but they do have a a weak neck joint because of how the neck joins the body. they are good guitars but a bit more fragile than the explorer. The explorer is a but more sturdy but has weight issues. Surprising it is actually not that uncomfortable otherwise. I would get the 60's tribute SG if it were me.
Zhaezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:50 PM   #4
dhenia182
Registered User
 
dhenia182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
I dont know how lightweight gibson melody maker explorer is but it is sure smaller than the standard explorer right? Is the neck n body unbalanced?
dhenia182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:09 PM   #5
peskypesky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
SG.

Cool-looking. Light-weight. Great-sounding. Great-playing. Very good re-sale value if you decide to change guitars.

Last edited by peskypesky : 10-01-2014 at 11:11 PM.
peskypesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:44 PM   #6
dannyalcatraz
Registered User
 
dannyalcatraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
If you're open to other suggestions, check out the Reverend Sensei series- double-cut like the SG, but made with korina (tonally similar to mahogany, but lighter), great necks and under $1000.
__________________
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:14 AM   #7
dspellman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
If you go with an SG, be sure to find one that's NOT neck-heavy. The SG body is so small and the forward strap button located badly, so many SGs are neck-heavy. You don't want to have to support the neck while you're playing (and don't let anyone tell you that a thicker strap is the answer. It's not.

I'd steer clear of Melody Makers in all guises.

Honestly, *new* Gibsons under $1000 are suspect across the board. The Korean (and even some of the Chinese and Indonesian guitars) are much better built in that price range. Used Gibsons are a different story, of course. You'll note that Gibson has mostly abandoned the under-$1000 for 2015. I think that's going to be a continuing trend with them.

Where on the planet are you located?
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:30 AM   #8
losing battle
UG's Trollestia
 
losing battle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stealing your underpants!
the gibson lpj is stupid light though that could be an option. try a few on and take wake some pictures if the image is that much of a concern for you. I say go with the sg though.

edit I remember you did you from your thread in gg&a get that amp yet? if not for gods sakes get the amp.
__________________
BTMAM was never relevant
Quote:
Originally Posted by chookiecookie
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know

Last edited by losing battle : 10-02-2014 at 12:36 AM.
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:41 AM   #9
luckotdraw
Registered User
 
luckotdraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
I dig the melody maker v, a bit smaller and u can abuse the shit out of them and its no loss.
luckotdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:43 AM   #10
Cajundaddy
Registered User
 
Cajundaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SoCal
If you like Gibson I'd suggest an SG or LP Jr. Both are light weight and have a long history of great tone and looks.
__________________
Guthrie on tone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” - SRV
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:43 AM   #11
The Judist
The problem is choice
 
The Judist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: UK
What you need is a Fender Mustang
But of your list I would say the SG 60s Tribute.
__________________
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project... and spiritual philosophy!
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
The Judist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #12
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajundaddy
If you like Gibson I'd suggest an SG or LP Jr. Both are light weight and have a long history of great tone and looks.


+1

(doublecut jr is probably slightly lighter too, i'm guessing)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:11 AM   #13
dhenia182
Registered User
 
dhenia182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Thank you for all your nice replies
dhenia182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #14
dhenia182
Registered User
 
dhenia182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
If you're open to other suggestions, check out the Reverend Sensei series- double-cut like the SG, but made with korina (tonally similar to mahogany, but lighter), great necks and under $1000.


where is it made in?
dhenia182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #15
dhenia182
Registered User
 
dhenia182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judist
What you need is a Fender Mustang
But of your list I would say the SG 60s Tribute.


Is fender mustang good for rock?
dhenia182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #16
dhenia182
Registered User
 
dhenia182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckotdraw
I dig the melody maker v, a bit smaller and u can abuse the shit out of them and its no loss.


Flying V is so uncomfortable to play while sitting down though
dhenia182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #17
dhenia182
Registered User
 
dhenia182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by losing battle
the gibson lpj is stupid light though that could be an option. try a few on and take wake some pictures if the image is that much of a concern for you. I say go with the sg though.

edit I remember you did you from your thread in gg&a get that amp yet? if not for gods sakes get the amp.


I got the amp but not Jet city... VOX AC30VR with my budget at the time.

Last edited by dhenia182 : 10-02-2014 at 11:31 AM.
dhenia182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #18
dhenia182
Registered User
 
dhenia182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
If you go with an SG, be sure to find one that's NOT neck-heavy. The SG body is so small and the forward strap button located badly, so many SGs are neck-heavy. You don't want to have to support the neck while you're playing (and don't let anyone tell you that a thicker strap is the answer. It's not.

I'd steer clear of Melody Makers in all guises.

Honestly, *new* Gibsons under $1000 are suspect across the board. The Korean (and even some of the Chinese and Indonesian guitars) are much better built in that price range. Used Gibsons are a different story, of course. You'll note that Gibson has mostly abandoned the under-$1000 for 2015. I think that's going to be a continuing trend with them.

Where on the planet are you located?


I am located in Indonesia, and good built indonesian made guitars are usually for export.
dhenia182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #19
Cajundaddy
Registered User
 
Cajundaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenia182
Is fender mustang good for rock?


I'm mostly a Fender guy but not a fan of the Mustang or Duo-Sonic. I just don't think they are great players. Try em if you like but for me both the Tele and Strat are just way better in nearly every way.
__________________
Guthrie on tone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” - SRV

Last edited by Cajundaddy : 10-02-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #20
dhenia182
Registered User
 
dhenia182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
it is so hard to find an SG that doesnt have neck balance issue!
dhenia182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:16 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.