Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #1
Picksqueal72

To Floyd or NOT to Floyd

I play classic rock to hard rock and some metal. I love the idea of a Floyd Rose Tremolo but don't know if I want to deal with the hardships of set-up or tuning. What do you folks think?

all input is appreciated.

Thanks
Ibanez DT520FM
Ibanez Talman Acoustic
Marshall MG101CFX, Marshall DSL100H Head and MX412A Cabinet
Picksqueal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
dthmtl3

I vote for a tremolo. You can always immobilize it if you don't want to use it, and to make setup easier. And when you want to use it, it's there.
Another advantage is the locking nut. It...locks, and it also lets you easily clean and see what the heck is going in with it and it's easier to replace
dthmtl3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #3
T00DEEPBLUE
UG Nerd

Learn how to set one up and decide for yourself.

Nobody can make this decision for you.

T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:16 PM   #4
K33nbl4d3
Don't @ me

They're not that hard to set up, if you know what you're doing. Look into what's actually involved in setting it up, then decide if you can handle it. Floyds aren't as difficult as people believe, but you need to know where you're at. Judging by your gear you probably know your way around a guitar somewhat, so for a Floyd there's only so much extra you need to learn.

As the first reply says, you can immobilise a Floyd, and if you do so they really do make the ideal hardtail.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:21 PM   #5
gorkyporky
I like pie.

Id say that unless you really want one and know what you wanna do with it, you dont get it. Sure, you can imobilize it, but its still a hassle. I'm never getting a guitar with one again. This is my opinion at least.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:26 PM   #6
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picksqueal72
I play classic rock to hard rock and some metal. I love the idea of a Floyd Rose Tremolo but don't know if I want to deal with the hardships of set-up or tuning. What do you folks think?

There are really no "hardships of set-up or tuning" once you know what you're doing. A couple of lessons, a few tips and a bit of practice, and it really shouldn't take much more time than restringing a standard bridge.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #7
reverb66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picksqueal72

all input is appreciated.

Thanks

That's where the Strat-style tremolo comes in - you get a great tremolo without any of the Floyd Rose hassle.

Unless you're really into the Vai and Satriani style tremolo gymnastics, I 'd vote against getting one.
reverb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:52 PM   #8
courier_87

If you are going to be sticking with one tuning, or have other guitars you can use for alternative tunings, I'd say go for it.

As for set up, I started to set up mine after deciding I couldn't afford a guitar shops prices to restring and alter the tuning. The first time I altered it from standard to drop d and it took forever to rebalance and set up. After a few times, however, I find I can restring and set up a floating trem in next to no time. If you don't like it down the line, as said before, you can always block it with a bit of wood or a Tremol-No.

I have 5 electrics: 3 with locking tremolos (2 Floyd rose and one Ibanez edge 3) and 2 Strats (one with a blocked 2-point trem, one with a screwed down vintage trem) and for overall feel I prefer the locking trem equipped guitars for their overall smoothness on bends (feels like less resistance). One thing to watch for however, is if you bend multiple strings simultaneously or want to hit an open string while bending (or vibrato-ing) another, the pitch of the open string will change slightly due to the floating nature of the brigde.
courier_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:30 PM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

It's up to you, really. If you don't use one the cons outweigh the pros. If you do, the pros might outweigh the cons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiercedBand
You don't go to a Slayer concert and see a combo.

\m/
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:32 PM   #10
metalmingee

Obviously you're curious about having one and don't so I say buy one. How else will you know? Go for it.
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)

Amps:
Mesa Roadster 212 Combo
Peavey 5150 212 Combo with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
metalmingee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:22 PM   #11
the_bi99man

If you want to be able to do floyd tricks like divebombs and stuff, then yes, go for it. Just learn how to set it up and it's not really that big of a deal. Pick a string gauge and tuning you like, and stick with them, and it's not an issue at all.
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
GK 400RB w/Ampeg 4x10 Cab, EH Q-Tron+ w/Bass Big Muff in loop
https://soundcloud.com/dudeandguitar
the_bi99man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:42 PM   #12
Picksqueal72

Thanks for all the input. I've decided to go for it. My local music shop has a

ESP Ltd EC-1000FR

Great feel, great sound and a Floyd Rose.
Ibanez DT520FM
Ibanez Talman Acoustic
Marshall MG101CFX, Marshall DSL100H Head and MX412A Cabinet
Picksqueal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:40 AM   #13
K33nbl4d3
Don't @ me

And, more importantly, it's got a decent quality Floyd. As long as you take care of that knife-edge (loosen the strings and detach the springs before you adjust the action), you'll have a fully functional Floyd for as long as you care to own it. Good luck with it
Old 05-28-2015, 05:29 AM   #14
Deermonic
I fly

For metal: Don't use one if you don't have too.

If you are playing fast metal then the school of thought I go for is the one Dave Mustaine advocates which is that you shouldn't really need one. Many band's lead guitarists have minimalist guitars. Just a volume knob, trem/bass and nothing else. The idea is that you shouldn't be messing around with buttons, knobs and metal bars, but strumming and fretting. So pedal effects driven whammy is the option here and this isn't a problem since Digitech released the Whammy DT. There are plenty of other options available to whammy too in other advanced foot controllers. I think this is a good school of thought for metal players as its easy to become a whammy player that can't vibrato properly to begin with.

Now if you mean rock, then I can't picture Neil Young without a Bigsy or Jimmy Hendrix without a strat whammy bar. It obviously has its place. Pink Floyd can't be wrong but for metal and faster playing, you can well live without it and play like you got it with the right gear and technique.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:26 PM   #15
DanyFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deermonic
For metal: Don't use one if you don't have too.

If you are playing fast metal then the school of thought I go for is the one Dave Mustaine advocates which is that you shouldn't really need one. Many band's lead guitarists have minimalist guitars. Just a volume knob, trem/bass and nothing else. The idea is that you shouldn't be messing around with buttons, knobs and metal bars, but strumming and fretting. So pedal effects driven whammy is the option here and this isn't a problem since Digitech released the Whammy DT. There are plenty of other options available to whammy too in other advanced foot controllers. I think this is a good school of thought for metal players as its easy to become a whammy player that can't vibrato properly to begin with.

Now if you mean rock, then I can't picture Neil Young without a Bigsy or Jimmy Hendrix without a strat whammy bar. It obviously has its place. Pink Floyd can't be wrong but for metal and faster playing, you can well live without it and play like you got it with the right gear and technique.

I'll have to disagree with you on that.

A lot of metal bands use Floyd Rose or other kinds of tremolos. Specially for the solos, there's a lot of whammy bar action in heavy metal.

First 4 heavy metal guitarists that are heavy whammy bar users that come into my mind: Dimebag Darrel, Jeff Hanneman, Kerry King and Kirk Hammet.

Dave Mustaine doesn't uses tremolos as you said, but all of the lead guitarists that he had use Floyds.

I play many different kinds of metal (thrash metal, death metal, melodic death metal, prog metal, etc) and I must say I couldn't live without a Floyd Rose. I may be a rhythm player, but when I play leads, it's very useful and it's a must for the kind of music I play.

Last edited by DanyFS : 05-28-2015 at 01:32 PM.
DanyFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #16
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ I don't think marty friedman uses a floyd

other than that I agree, though, they're used a fair bit in metal. of course, if you don't like them then they're not exactly "necessary" for most metal either.

Quote:

\m/
Old 05-28-2015, 04:59 PM   #17
DanyFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
^ I don't think marty friedman uses a floyd

other than that I agree, though, they're used a fair bit in metal. of course, if you don't like them then they're not exactly "necessary" for most metal either.

Yeah, I wasn't 100% sure when I wrote that. I think I've heard a Megadeth Marty Friedman solo that requires a whammy bar, but I can't remember which it was and I may be wrong.

But the other guitarists that were on Megadeth, I'm 100% that they had Floyd Roses on their guitars.
DanyFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:56 PM   #18
K33nbl4d3
Don't @ me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deermonic

I can't help but find this school of thought kind of silly. Why insist on stripping a guitar of options? I'm pretty sure your average gigging guitarist (yes, even a guitarist) is smart enough to know when to fiddle with switches or whammies and when to play. Refusing to own what is, ultimately, a very effective bridge system purely because it isn't a musical necessity strikes me as illogical. Especially since OP already has at least one hardtail guitar, I can't see a good reason to avoid the Floyd if he's interested in exploring that avenue.

One pickup, one knob guitars are unnecessary for people with regular attention spans unless, like whichever glam rockers used the things, we have absolutely no use whatsoever for the neck pickup.

Last edited by K33nbl4d3 : 05-28-2015 at 05:58 PM.
K33nbl4d3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:09 PM   #19
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyFS
Yeah, I wasn't 100% sure when I wrote that. I think I've heard a Megadeth Marty Friedman solo that requires a whammy bar, but I can't remember which it was and I may be wrong.

But the other guitarists that were on Megadeth, I'm 100% that they had Floyd Roses on their guitars.

You may well be right, maybe there is a an odd friedman solo which uses a floyd- just in general (i think ) he normally didn't use a trem.

Quote:

\m/
Old 05-29-2015, 04:06 AM   #20
trashedlostfdup
likes hamuckers.

i would never get a guitar with a cheap floyd. out of 23 electrics, i only have five with trems. two strats with fender trems, and three ibanez prestiges with GOOD ibanez trems.

IMO you need a good floyd guitar in your arsenal if you don't have to change tunings.

a floyd is fund and can do awesome things if you put time into it.

satch and vai and even dime; all have done things that stand out as being used with trems, that couldn't do it without.

get one if you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
See what I mean by, "they demonised it"? Tim's attitude is typical of what they did to everybody. The media drove that sort of Disney shit into everybody's brain. Only old farts like me missed it in our formative years.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: