User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-28-2016, 06:40 PM   #1
steppinfear

Question about broken guitar necks

If a broken guitar neck is fixed with glue, for example-

http://www.gak.co.uk/rs/pictures/tn1_133050.jpg

and http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Technique/Structural/BrokenHeadstocks/NeckCrack/NeckCrackViews/neckcrack01.jpg
But with glue inside of it obviously

Will this affect the comfortability/playability and the lifespan of the guitar (will it break more easily)

Many thanks.
steppinfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #2
Tony Done

The guys who do that kind of repair claim that the joint is as strong as an undamaged one if it is done properly. Therein lies the risk.

It wouldn't affect playability for me, it might for a really sensitive type. The repair could always be made near-invisible - at a price!
Tony Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #3
dspellman

Depends on the quality of the work.
There are some neck breaks that are virtually impossible to detect because they've been repaired very well both structurally and cosmetically. If they're done well, they'll last as long as any new guitar would (meaning that they can break again, but so can a new guitar). Glue (depending on the glue and the quality of the glue job) is what you'd expect to use to fix things, and it shouldn't break MORE easily, but again -- there are all the "depends" things you need to know about to qualify that.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:02 PM   #4
jds2

I bought a Dean bass for $10 off CL with the neck broken off around the scarf joint as a learning project. I used Elmer's Carpenter glue and some clamps for about 24 hours. You could see the join if you looked closely, but otherwise it looked fine. I played it as a backup for a few years, then sold it to a friend as his backup. He traded it off for an acoustic and as far as I know, it's held together just fine. I wouldn't have jumped around on-stage with crazy antics, but for just playing, it was fine.

I figured that for a $10 bass, what was the harm in trying. If you're in a similar position, and you can't make it worse, I'd give it a shot. If it's an expensive guitar, that's a different case altogether.
jds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:34 PM   #5
pressureproject

High quality necks are fairly cheap...couple hundred bucks. Warmoth has good ones. Even cheapo's are like $100.

If done professionally, it would cost close to this anyhow. If it's a crack, no biggie...but an actual break...ugh...I wouldn't bother.

Obviously if it's a neck thru, you can't replace it. The ones you pictured look like set necks like on a Gibson though....which a lot of them had a lot of brakes up at the headstock.
pressureproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:04 PM   #6
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Modern glues aren't as strong as the original wood, they are far stronger (excepting butt joints on the end grain, which doesn't apply here.)

A competent repair will not fail. That doesn't mean you can't break the neck again, just that it will break somewhere else.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #7
trashedlostfdup
likes hamuckers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Modern glues aren't as strong as the original wood, they are far stronger (excepting butt joints on the end grain, which doesn't apply here.)

A competent repair will not fail. That doesn't mean you can't break the neck again, just that it will break somewhere else.

I have a fracture on a gibson sonex that was repaired well (previous owner broke it), it stays in tune forever and I have had no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote:
youre just being a jerk man.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:44 PM   #8
Rickholly74

The luthier I apprenticed with says he has glue more than 100 broken necks in his 40 years of guitar repair and has never had one come back because it broke in the same place again. He uses Titebond glue.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #9
Confuse-a-Cat
The Jackson Guy

So long as it's a clean break that you can glue and clamp, it'll be fine structurally. I think the bigger issue is making sure that the neck is refinished well, because that could affect your comfort of playing on the thing.

I've got an Epi LP that had a fall and was broken just below the headstock. It was fixed something like 7 or 8 years ago and the repair is still solid, but the stain on that part of the neck is visibly darker and the clear coat is 'stickier'. So even though the guitar is structurally sound, the sticky finish on that bit of the neck often annoys me.
Confuse-a-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:34 PM   #10
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickholly74
The luthier I apprenticed with says he has glue more than 100 broken necks in his 40 years of guitar repair and has never had one come back because it broke in the same place again. He uses Titebond glue.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:36 PM   #11
trashedlostfdup
likes hamuckers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911

^+1

Quote:
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote:
youre just being a jerk man.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:18 PM   #12
tsc86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickholly74

Yeap. I used it last year to fix a broken headstock. The guitar works like a charm and the repair is almost impossible to see and I'm faaar from being a professional
tsc86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: