Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM   #1
sosxradar

Can't get overdriven sound?

Hi Ultimate Guitar Community.

Today I just got everything to work with my used guitar but the only problem is I can't get the Overdriven sound.

I turn the overdrive knob to max and set other to low and try to switch all the switch and it seem like I only get a bit overdrive with clean guitar.....

I'm a beginner and don't know what causing it not to sound metal.

1. Is it because of my used guitar?
2. Hmmm!!! Amp....
3. Because of me?!?
sosxradar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM   #2
bubb_tubbs
UG's Grouch

What amp?

What guitar?

Is the volume knob on the guitar turned to a low setting?

What pickup is selected?

Need a bit more information to go on to answer this for you, sorry.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
bubb_tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM   #3
ikey_

and pedal if you have one.

very few amps have an "overdrive" knob. if it is labeled that way, that is a red flag to me.
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM   #4
sosxradar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb_tubbs
What amp?

What guitar?

Is the volume knob on the guitar turned to a low setting?

What pickup is selected?

Need a bit more information to go on to answer this for you, sorry.

I can't read the name of guitar...It's a used one and It's start with F like Flavor or favor or fedor lol. and the AMP is Bluesfeel GA-8020. and the volume knob turned to a low?!?! What does it mean? If I turn it to low It mean I turn it off right?
Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM   #5
sosxradar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey_
and pedal if you have one.

very few amps have an "overdrive" knob. if it is labeled that way, that is a red flag to me.

It has a overdrive knob but It won't overdrive
Before I buy it, the seller already tested it and It sound so hard but when I test myself ...L( bruhh
Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ you need to have the volume up a little or you won't get sound. set the overdrive knob pretty high, and set the volume knob to zero. then (while playing) gradually increase the level of the volume knob.

Also make sure you have the volume knob on the guitar turned up. and probably have the bridge pickup selected.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM   #7
bubb_tubbs
UG's Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosxradar
I can't read the name of guitar...It's a used one and It's start with F like Flavor or favor or fedor lol. and the AMP is Bluesfeel GA-8020. and the volume knob turned to a low?!?! What does it mean? If I turn it to low It mean I turn it off right?

Yes, if the volume knob ON THE GUITAR is turned down, you probably won't get overdrive even if you turn up the amp all the way.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
bubb_tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM   #8
ikey_

ugh... this?

http://www.guitarjapan.net/product/...;อง

i see volume bass and treble. thats all. that amp has no gain knob, and it looks solid state which means it wont overdrive naturally via tubes. if my assumptions are correct, you have a completely "clean" amp only and you will need a distortion pedal to get a gainy, overdrive sound.

if i am wrong, yeah turn the guitar volume all the way, make sure your amp volume or channel or master is at least 2, and turn whatever overdrive or gain knob up. a proper amp should call it gain, not overdrive. or just drive. that must be a crazy old amp or a bass amp. almost all guitar amps these days should have a gain or drive knob. if they dont, then they are tube amps and users overdrive them naturally.

honestly, if i were you i would look into a new amp. either way, if i am right you need to buy something anyways.
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)

Last edited by ikey_ : Yesterday at 01:55 PM.
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: