Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-16-2014, 10:45 PM   #1
DeathShredder23

Need help finding the right abrasive.

So I saw this video of youtube of how to make a glossy neck faster and I am interested in trying it out...

Problem is that I searched on the web for scotch brite and couldn't find the green kind he was talking about for 800 grit.

Can any of you dudes send me a link to find a good abrasive pad to use on the back of my gloss finish neck? Doesn't have to be scotch brite I guess, if I remember correctly he says that 800 grit should be used...

What do you guys think? Anybody ever tried this before?
DeathShredder23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:05 PM   #2
jpnyc

You can buy the Scotch Brite stuff at Home Depot.
jpnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:33 AM   #3
mhanbury2

Anywhere that sells car paint has high grit abrasives up to 2000 grit. I had trouble finding it as well until I found this out.
mhanbury2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:13 AM   #4
rickyvanh

Go look by your ******* sink. Green scotch brite is on the back of dish sponges. You can get 800 grit paper at an auto paint store.
rickyvanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:03 AM   #5
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i have only felt the need to do this to two guitars, but i would recommend taping over your pickups and getting the back of the neck with #0000 steel wool. easy and fast.

just tape off the pickups so the steel wool get to make sure no steel dust gets on your pickups.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
Rickholly74

I think you will find them in any food supermarket right next to the Brillo pads and dish washing soap if not, any harware store will carry it.
Rickholly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #7
dspellman

Holy crap, any Walmart carries these.
Home Desperate, Lowes, Ace hardware stores.
They're everywhere.

Scotch Brite Heavy Duty Scour Pads.
dspellman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:01 PM   #8
DeathShredder23

In the beginning of the video, he says gray, not green!!! Haha here I was thinking that he said green but it all makes sense now cause the scotch brite 800 grit is gray...

I'll just have to order some now and I'll be all set.

I swear guitar necks should all be ****ing satin...
DeathShredder23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #9
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

I've done this to every guitar i own. Do NOT use 0000 steel wool on any part of your guitar except for the frets. Sandpaper will do a better job on wood without ingraining metal flakes into the neck.

Simple 1000-2000 grit sandpaper will do just fine. If you decide to sand the neck, make absolute sure to not press too hard, as it's easy to sand way too much off. Very lightly make long, consistent strokes. Barely pressing against the wood.
Acϵ♠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:21 PM   #10
Paleo Pete

#0000 steel wool will work great, that's what I used the one time I had to smooth a neck. Just put some masking tape over the pickups to keep it out of the magnets. Steel wool is what's used between coats in many types of wood finishes, and for guitar necks it's the best way to go. It will smooth out the finish without taking it off completely or leaving heavy scratches. It will only leave metal flakes in wet paint, on a dry finish it will brush off pretty easy. Just protect the pickups. But only use grade 0000. the others are too coarse. Do not take the finish off completely...

Last edited by Paleo Pete : 11-17-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Paleo Pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: