Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-09-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
mattewan

Hanger 18 chords (intro)

Hey there,

I have been playing the guitar for about a year and a half now..... although i have generally been bad at training myself.

I have always gone for songs that use power chords.... or simple chords and songs that have a slow picked solo or lead.

For example.... muse - plug in baby
metallica - enter sandman (although i cant play the solo that well)

etc etc.....

My hands are really small and i have serious problems with chord shapes.... even after a year and a half.

I have only played an electric because i find acustic even harder.

Also i found that when i play chords.... such as this:

Code:
-1-1-1- -3-3-3- -2-3-4- -------- -------- --------

I cant bring my thumb over the neck bacause my hand is really small.

Now i know its best practise to have your thumb behind the neck at all times... and thats how i play because i cant play any other way.... but its so uncomfortable playing those chords.... especially the 134 one with my thumb behind the neck while standing.... because my wrist has to bend a serious amount and it hurts after playing for a short while

Anyway..... i have been trying to learn the intro to hanger 18.... which is:

Code:
1-1-1--1-1-1--1-1-1--5-5-5--5-5-5--6-6-6--7-7-7--8-8-8 3-3-3--3-3-3--3-3-3--3-3-3--6-6-6--6-6-6--6-6-6--8-8-8 2-3-4--3-3-3--4-4-4--5-5-5--7-7-7--7-7-7--7-7-7--9-9-9 ------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------

Its a bit more too it than that though.

My question is... should those chords even be hard..... or should i not be struggling with these at all?

I think i need to start spending time with chords now.... instead of trying for 5 minutes... getting fed up, and playing scales for an hour (which im pretty good at)
mattewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:45 PM   #2
Chubbes_Hammet
You like Work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattewan
Hey there,

I have been playing the guitar for about a year and a half now..... although i have generally been bad at training myself.

I have always gone for songs that use power chords.... or simple chords and songs that have a slow picked solo or lead.

For example.... muse - plug in baby
metallica - enter sandman (although i cant play the solo that well)

etc etc.....

My hands are really small and i have serious problems with chord shapes.... even after a year and a half.

I have only played an electric because i find acustic even harder.

Also i found that when i play chords.... such as this:

Code:
-1-1-1- -3-3-3- -2-3-4- -------- -------- --------

I cant bring my thumb over the neck bacause my hand is really small.

Now i know its best practise to have your thumb behind the neck at all times... and thats how i play because i cant play any other way.... but its so uncomfortable playing those chords.... especially the 134 one with my thumb behind the neck while standing.... because my wrist has to bend a serious amount and it hurts after playing for a short while

Anyway..... i have been trying to learn the intro to hanger 18.... which is:

Code:
1-1-1--1-1-1--1-1-1--5-5-5--5-5-5--6-6-6--7-7-7--8-8-8 3-3-3--3-3-3--3-3-3--3-3-3--6-6-6--6-6-6--6-6-6--8-8-8 2-3-4--3-3-3--4-4-4--5-5-5--7-7-7--7-7-7--7-7-7--9-9-9 ------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------

Its a bit more too it than that though.

My question is... should those chords even be hard..... or should i not be struggling with these at all?

I think i need to start spending time with chords now.... instead of trying for 5 minutes... getting fed up, and playing scales for an hour (which im pretty good at)

Well..i too have been playing guitar for year and a half, i have trouble with accoustic too...okay first of all, with your finger problem i used to have really small lil baby fingers, but if you just practice long strectches ( practice strecthing as far as you can then hold it), i used to have trouble stretching from 1st fret to the 4th or 5th. Now i can go to the 8th without too much trouble...and with hangar 18, the strectches arnt that bad, but once your fingers grow a little more itll get easier, and as far as the leads go..well, dave and marty are great musicians they been playing alot longer than a year and a half so dont expect yourself to be able to rock out with any song....just keep practcing it, and do it slow then work up speed..My advice, is that when you learn songs, dont just say, "oh i love that solo! ima learn that right now!' dont even bother learning it if your not gonna learn the chords/rhythm too..The intro is pretty easy for me, not trying to be cocky or anything bro, just kinda basic stuff...Now the beginning leads, are a lil tricky, and those are the ones that you gotta practice slowly..diffrent folks progress at diffrent rates, also, if your using .09's (string gauge)i highly recommd you move up to .011's to help your fingers get stronger. This will also help you play accoustic easier cause you'll be used to pushing the strings down harder...Hope it all works out bro..

LoL
Quote:
Originally Posted by civildp1
that was way to long to read so I'm just gonna assume it was about cake. and I agree, cake is delicious

Last edited by Chubbes_Hammet : 06-09-2007 at 06:30 PM.
Chubbes_Hammet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
muSICAL FUSION
Banned

if your whining so much about playing guitar becuz you have small hands stop and go hit some drums dumbass but anyway...

-1-1-1-
-3-3-3-
-2-3-4-
--------
--------
--------

you play the g string with your pinky when you hit 3 and 4
muSICAL FUSION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
mattewan

using gauge 0.10 at the moment.... switched from 0.09 about two months ago... but im using a floydd rose... so dont fancy moving to 0.11 because i will probably have to add an extra spring (had to wind in the tension screws quite a bit last when i moved from 0.09's to 0.10's).

Anyway i know im probably whinning.... i guess i just get frustrated that i still find basic stuff hard even after a year and a half.... and i practise allot to.... sometimes 3 hours a day.

as for hitting drums.... i already do lol

Thanx for the tips though
mattewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:34 PM   #5
Chubbes_Hammet
You like Work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattewan
using gauge 0.10 at the moment.... switched from 0.09 about two months ago... but im using a floydd rose... so dont fancy moving to 0.11 because i will probably have to add an extra spring (had to wind in the tension screws quite a bit last when i moved from 0.09's to 0.10's).

Anyway i know im probably whinning.... i guess i just get frustrated that i still find basic stuff hard even after a year and a half.... and i practise allot to.... sometimes 3 hours a day.

as for hitting drums.... i already do lol

Thanx for the tips though

Cliff Burton from Metallica practiced 4-6 hours a day with his bass =)....i practice 4-5 usally..keep practicing =)

LoL
Quote:
Originally Posted by civildp1
that was way to long to read so I'm just gonna assume it was about cake. and I agree, cake is delicious

Chubbes_Hammet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:14 AM   #6
oreodunk

Raise the height of your guitar when standing - i know you would look nerd but do it for the sake of the music you can produce.

Train ur pinky strength and play with ur thumb behind the neck if your hands are small. Dont try thumb over neck!
oreodunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: