Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-23-2007, 01:51 PM   #41
Doolittle
:liplick:

i agree with Primusfan about Obama. He seems like he wouldn't really know what he's doing but i do really think we need someone totally different in charge. For the past years it's been Bush or Clinton. But Obama seems really vague to me.

Doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 01:59 PM   #42
Draken
waiting for the 6th world

ummm on the Israel never iniating a war.

I seem to remember something about pre-emptive strikes in 1967.
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:01 PM   #43
Meths
UG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzler16
For anyone who didnt keep an eye on the Irish general elections Fine gael nearly got as many seats as Fianna Fail. That annoyed me ecasue Fianna fail are trying to get rid of Irish as a mandatory subject in the Leaving Cert.

Nobody keeps an eye on Irish general elections.

And why should Irish be a mandatory subject?

Quote:
Originally Posted by faqu
I think there will be another war in the summer.
USA will join Israel as they attack Iran, and of course Russia will on Iran's side.

it wont be preety.

of course it's just what everyone here assumes. what do you think?

Pft, no chance. Three wars at once? The USA can't hack it and the Republicans will lose the next election without a doubt. It's not even really worth it. Especially considering muslims hate us enough as it is.

And I don't see why Russia would side with Iran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassistGal
I really can't see Israel attacking Iran (Because we've never initiated a war in the past).

Quote:
I also don't think Iran will directly attack Israel.

But their will probably be a war aganist Syrya and Hizboolah.

Obviously not initiated by Israel...

Quote:
It wasnt initiating a war.
It was a preventing strike, theirs a huge difference.

1)The word is "there".
2)Not really. The iraq war was claimed to be a pre-emptive attack, we still started the war.

Quote:
I'm preety sure their will be a war this summer, but I can't see Israel starting it.

What is your definition of 'starting it'? For some reason I get the feeling that Israel could do anything yet you would still consider it either pre-emptive or a retaliation.

EDIT: Anyone else wish "the voices of moderate Islam" would shut the fuck up and be moderate about this whole Rushdie-honours thing? They seem to be doing their very best to try and prove the racists bastards right when they say Islam can't be moderate or tolerant etc. And Lord Ahmed who is one of the people in charge of the country actually referred to the 9/11 bombers as "martyrs". He should be stripped of his honours and his lordship should be given to Rushdie just to piss them off.
And those people who say Rushdie is reponsible for loads of people dying because he pissed off some muslims. Well in that case the 9/11 bombers are responsible for all the Iraqis/Afghanis who have died since then because they goaded the USA into attacking them. Why don't they try blaming the people who are at fault instead of bitching and blaming people who have exercised their right to free speech.

What Rushdie said about Mohammed wasn't even vaguely insulting. He alluded to him having an erotic dream or something and you just want to scream "Er, hello? The guy had multiple wives he was blatantly getting some."

I'm also reminded of the amazing placard at the Danish cartoon protests which said "behead those who say Islam is violent". I swear that had to be a joke.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Meths : 06-23-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Meths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:12 PM   #44
catchy phrase
GU's Lysdexic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyVirus
I also see him 2 ways....black.....a muslim. not that either of those would affect the way i feel about him....he seems like he's too young IMO, which is good in a way, because he will have a fresh mindset on what he wants to do. It can also be bad, because he's inexperienced, which is the LAST thing we need right now.

he's not muslim.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:21 PM   #45
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

*subscribes for later*
EDIT: oh alright then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzler16
For anyone who didnt keep an eye on the Irish general elections Fine gael nearly got as many seats as Fianna Fail. That annoyed me ecasue Fianna fail are trying to get rid of Irish as a mandatory subject in the Leaving Cert.

i think it should be removed as a mandatory subject. Learning a foreign language is hard and time consuming enough without learning one that's spoken by 3 sheep to the west of galway.

I know we had a teacher in our school who was from the republic, who couldn't get a job down south because she didn't have irish. seemed a bit stupid to me, what does irish (the language, not the country/people, lol) have to do with design and technology?

I have no problem with it being there as a choice, obviously, but to force people to learn it over french, spanish, etc.?

seems a bit strange and counterproductive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 06-23-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:04 PM   #46
rifftnstrings
Guitarist-for-hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meths
I'm also reminded of the amazing placard at the Danish cartoon protests which said "behead those who say Islam is violent". I swear that had to be a joke.

rifftnstrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:46 PM   #47
the_pick_gnome

Never posted in here before, but....

I was wondering why Ron Paul has so much support from liberals. It seems like a lot of liberals love him because of his stance on the war. On the other hand, it seems odd to me that they don't have the mentality when it comes to Ron Paul that republicans hate poor people, love big business, etc.
I mean, Ron Paul is pretty much in synch with the other republicans economically, right?

Or is it because he is a libertarian, which has the root "liber" in it lol.

I don't mean offense to anyone, just wondering.
the_pick_gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:59 PM   #48
Anarion614
likes trombone.

In Time magazine they had Obama as one of the top 100 Influential people, which I found odd....i like him so far, but he hasn't done anything yet really...
Old 06-23-2007, 11:28 PM   #49
gryphonguy
Begs an Eternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pick_gnome

I was wondering why Ron Paul has so much support from liberals. It seems like a lot of liberals love him because of his stance on the war. On the other hand, it seems odd to me that they don't have the mentality when it comes to Ron Paul that republicans hate poor people, love big business, etc.
I mean, Ron Paul is pretty much in synch with the other republicans economically, right?

If I was old enough to vote I would probably vote for Ron Paul. I saw him on the Colbert Report and I agreed with almost everything he said. Hes a real sturdy constitutionalist.

Ron Paul is not in sync with anyone. Hes against spending and large government, so that sets him apart from almost any politcian. But he probably gets a lot of support because he voted aginst the Iraqi War and I assume hes more liberal socially then a lot of consevatives but I havent really heard any of his opinions on that.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:47 PM   #50
MrGuitar123
Banned

I'm liking the Fred Thompson. He seems as though he would be a good leader. I mean c'mon Thompson-Guliani '08 would be awesome IMO of course since it is politics.
MrGuitar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:40 AM   #51
Quintessence153
UG's Burninator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphonguy
If I was old enough to vote I would probably vote for Ron Paul. I saw him on the Colbert Report and I agreed with almost everything he said. Hes a real sturdy constitutionalist.

Ron Paul is not in sync with anyone. Hes against spending and large government, so that sets him apart from almost any politcian. But he probably gets a lot of support because he voted aginst the Iraqi War and I assume hes more liberal socially then a lot of consevatives but I havent really heard any of his opinions on that.

Yeah, he's a more traditional small-government conservative. Those are pretty rare in the U.S. political scene nowadays. He's also staunchly opposed to the war and the PATRIOT Act, which helps his reputation among the left-wingers considerably.

You could say he's a fair bit more socially liberal than most of the other Republicans. He believes in limiting the federal govt's role in our lives, preferring instead to leave issues to the states.
Quintessence153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:47 AM   #52
matt47569
UG's BMX'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel bad inc.
I doubt that. Howard has the better policies, he has a good proven track record. Rudd made the mistake of trying to make it seem like his better than howard at economics when howard has take our country into the boom and lowered intrest rates since he 1st came into office, its because of howard australia is were it is economically today. He should of focused his campaign elsewere...

I'm talking about the mindless droves of young idiots that have to vote and don't care or have no idea about politics, they're going to vote for the one they think looks better or the younger one because they're "cooler"

John Howards eye brows are not attractive or cool

But then i have no real idea what i'm talking about because i don't follow politics too closely, only what the Chasers war on everything team tell me
matt47569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:50 AM   #53
scheck006

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphonguy

I'm all for large government if it falls under 2 categories.

1. It benefits people greatly

2. It doesn't meddle in people's personal lives.

For instance, I'm all for social medicine, I'm all for free college.

barack has been impressing me lately.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:57 AM   #54
JeffWiredBeck24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by primusfan
dennis kucinich, yes. i never thought i'd vote for a hippie democrat. i mean he's essentially a green. but i don't trust the way richardson looks.

looks sort of like a live action mayor quimby.

the only candidates i trust are kucinich and paul. because, even though they're on opposite ends of the spectrum, they're both principled. i'm slightly skeptical of kucinich because of his switch to pro-choice policies. not that that one issue determines my vote, but that this could be a sign of partyline politics.

Did you watch the Democratic Debate? Richardson struck me as the best of any of them.
JeffWiredBeck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:47 AM   #55
meh!
Doin' DAT FUNKY DANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jubby_Jubs
Righty...for those in the UK (Scotland expecially) who thinks the SNP are actually gonna make us independent and also do you want independence or not.

Personally I don't think that we should be breaking ties with countries who have quite a ot of power. I hope that
we can't get independence.

don't worry, we won't.

SNp won't get majority
Majority of scots don't want independence
they don't legally have the power
Old 06-24-2007, 08:12 AM   #56
EL Conquestidor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneYouKnew
I usually avoid political and religious discussions. But I had to stop in, just for a slightly off-topic comment.

live free or die erect - the ONLY political thread

at first glance, I thought this was the sex thread.

okay, I'll STFU now. back to what you guys were saying...

--------------------
I have to admit that the humor and meaning of it escapes me as well. Die erect?
Old 06-24-2007, 08:24 AM   #57
EL Conquestidor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pick_gnome

---------------------
Republicans hate poor people? Someones been drinking at the well of Liberal propaganda. THat you would post such nonsense suggests that you have a poor understanding of political idealology .
Just ask yourself one simple question whenever you incounter this type of statement. Is the person making it trying to make you think, or make you believe?
Old 06-24-2007, 10:26 AM   #58
Ur all $h1t
Has an erection

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Conquestidor
---------------------
Republicans hate poor people? Someones been drinking at the well of Liberal propaganda. THat you would post such nonsense suggests that you have a poor understanding of political idealology .
Just ask yourself one simple question whenever you incounter this type of statement. Is the person making it trying to make you think, or make you believe?

Or is the person just an idiot, which in this case is far more likely

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Ur all $h1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:43 AM   #59
Petetownshend
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyVirus
So...Bush sure is an inarticulate moron. The War on Terror is un-winnable. I don't like any of the '08 candidates.

+1
Petetownshend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:11 PM   #60
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillininfl
What do my fellow USians think of Mitt Romney and his run for the upcoming presidency? In my opinion i don't think he'll get very far because of the Mormon religion's likeness to cults. Just a thought though.

i think the problem is that he's worse at flip-flopping than kerry was. for his sake i wish he could say it was his religion, because then at least that'd be discrimination. instead he won't get the nomination because he's a dirty piece of shit.

Rate This Thread: