Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #62941
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

ah right

still disagree. but hey, i hate freedom, right? your forcing people to be the exact weight you say won't impinge on their freedom to do what they want at all, right?

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #62942
ErikLensherr
Vintage Edition

BMI's a terrible way to gauge how healthy someone is.
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #62943
macashmack
Spongethug Moneypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
ah right

still disagree. but hey, i hate freedom, right? your forcing people to be the exact weight you say won't impinge on their freedom to do what they want at all, right?

No you don't hate freedom, i was trolling when i was saying everyone hates freedom. I was not trolling when i was saying that this should be mandated. Why should math and humanities be more important then our health and bodies? It doesn't make much sense to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
BMI's a terrible way to gauge how healthy someone is.

You're right I meant fat percentage I was stupid.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #62944
willT08
SM58 beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
No you don't hate freedom, i was trolling when i was saying everyone hates freedom. I was not trolling when i was saying that this should be mandated. Why should math and humanities be more important then our health and bodies? It doesn't make much sense to me

Because Math is more important than your body. In every conceivable way.
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #62945
magnus_maximus
lord of the files

Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08

You can't build an economy on fitness.
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
Well then I am the gayest pedophile.
magnus_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #62946
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:

because it's hard to function in a modern society if you can't read and write. yes, it's hard to function in a modern society if you need to be lifted by a crane, but even in our modern society very few people are in that bad of a state. Plus fixing those people would better be achieved by targeting the help directly at them, rather than punishing everyone else. Plus it's a lot easier to get fit yourself than it is to learn to read by yourself.

i just don't see how mandating this stuff is a good idea. obviously it's a good idea to be fit (do as i say, not as i do ), but not being fit (within reason) won't really stop you from getting a job either.

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #62947
macashmack
Spongethug Moneypants

Quote:

yes, but not so much more that we can completely shirk the responsibilities we have to our bodies. Only a handful of people take care of their bodies in this country. If a person is illiterate everyone freaks out, but if a person is fat than eh whatever. They should be treated the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus_maximus
You can't build an economy on fitness.

No, you you can built a society of elites on fitness. I am kind of an elitist.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #62948
willT08
SM58 beater

Quote:
yes, but not so much more that we can completely shirk the responsibilities we have to our bodies.
You don't have a responsibility to your body. Even if you did, why would you honour it when in the end it's going to screw you over anyway?
Quote:
Only a handful of people take care of their bodies in this country.
Categorically not true
Quote:
If a person is illiterate everyone freaks out, but if a person is fat than eh whatever. They should be treated the same way.

No they shouldn't.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #62949
macashmack
Spongethug Moneypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
because it's hard to function in a modern society if you can't read and write. yes, it's hard to function in a modern society if you need to be lifted by a crane, but even in our modern society very few people are in that bad of a state. Plus fixing those people would better be achieved by targeting the help directly at them, rather than punishing everyone else. Plus it's a lot easier to get fit yourself than it is to learn to read by yourself.

i just don't see how mandating this stuff is a good idea. obviously it's a good idea to be fit (do as i say, not as i do ), but not being fit (within reason) won't really stop you from getting a job either.

That is very true. I think the problem is lack of proper nutrients as children, which of course goes deeper in that people can't afford quality produce. So that if that is the core of the problem, then we need to figure out how to make produce more accessible to people, and how to stop having so much processed foods. But until then, requiring good standards in school is another option.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #62950
magnus_maximus
lord of the files

Quote:
yes, but not so much more that we can completely shirk the responsibilities we have to our bodies. Only a handful of people take care of their bodies in this country. If a person is illiterate everyone freaks out, but if a person is fat than eh whatever. They should be treated the same way.

No, you you can built a society of elites on fitness. I am kind of an elitist.

No, not in any conceivable way. You don't need to be fit to design a rocket engine. You don't need to be fit to be a good investor. You don't need to be fit to design a bridge. I could go on, here, but I sense you still wouldn't get my point.

And your second statement is dangerously close to "master race"-ism.

Quote:
That is very true. I think the problem is lack of proper nutrients as children, which of course goes deeper in that people can't afford quality produce. So that if that is the core of the problem, then we need to figure out how to make produce more accessible to people, and how to stop having so much processed foods. But until then, requiring good standards in school is another option.

The problem is a lack of education in nutrition and schools being privatised and open to influence from corporations influencing the school meals.
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
Well then I am the gayest pedophile.

Last edited by magnus_maximus : 02-06-2013 at 12:15 PM.
magnus_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #62951
macashmack
Spongethug Moneypants

Quote:
You don't have a responsibility to your body. Even if you did, why would you honour it when in the end it's going to screw you over anyway? Categorically not true
No they shouldn't.

If you don't have a responsibility to yourself, what do you have a responsibility to?
I see 1/4 of americans as obese and 1/3 of american children as obese to be a ****ing epidemic.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #62952
macashmack
Spongethug Moneypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus_maximus
No, not in any conceivable way. You don't need to be fit to design a rocket engine. You don't need to be fit to be a good investor. You don't need to be fit to design a bridge. I could go on, here, but I sense you still wouldn't get my point.

And your second statement is dangerously close to "master race"-ism.

The problem is a lack of education in nutrition and schools being privatised and open to influence from corporations influencing the school meals.

Yes, but poor people can't afford high quality food as well. They need to eat freezer pizzas and fast food, which is very bad for you. We need to get this stuff to be more accessible to everyone.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #62953
willT08
SM58 beater

Quote:
If you don't have a responsibility to yourself, what do you have a responsibility to?
I'm not sure, but I don't see why my body would be the thing I definitely do. To try and ensure the well-being of others wherever I can would probably be the thing I'd pick.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #62954
ErikLensherr
Vintage Edition

I agree with probably 75-80% of what macashmack is saying.

"Society of elites" is weird but kids today are undeniably too fat.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #62955
FrenchyFungus
"UG God"

Quote:
I see 1/4 of americans as obese and 1/3 of american children as obese to be a ****ing epidemic.

If I can't choose what goes into my own body, and what I do with my own body, then you can stick your "freedom" up your arse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote:
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
FrenchyFungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #62956
macashmack
Spongethug Moneypants

Quote:
I'm not sure, but I don't see why my body would be the thing I definitely do. To try and ensure the well-being of others wherever I can would probably be the thing I'd pick.

I can respect that.

Quote:
I agree with probably 75-80% of what macashmack is saying.

"Society of elites" is weird but kids today are undeniably too fat.

Yea i understand where the society of elites might come across as the "master race"ism that Magnus called it but I just highly respect physical excellence and think that it should be more focused on in our society.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #62957
ErikLensherr
Vintage Edition

What we should do is teach kids actually useful things in PE class, like how to exercise and different nutrients and how they affect your body and junk like that, rather than just giving them a ball and letting them piss around for 45 minutes.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #62958
macashmack
Spongethug Moneypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchyFungus
If I can't choose what goes into my own body, and what I do with my own body, then you can stick your "freedom" up your arse.

You have the right to put anything you want with your body, just as long as you stay to a certain standard. Same way you can wear anything you want but you need to cover the genitalia and won't be served without shirts or shoes.
At the very least, don't tell me I have to pay for your health insurance if your overweight and have diabetes.
Quote:
What we should do is teach kids actually useful things in PE class, like how to exercise and different nutrients and how they affect your body and junk like that, rather than just giving them a ball and letting them piss around for 45 minutes.

I agree completely
Old 02-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #62959
FrenchyFungus
"UG God"

Quote:
You have the right to put anything you want with your body, just as long as you stay to a certain standard.
So why do you hate freedom?

Quote:
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote:
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
FrenchyFungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #62960
macashmack
Spongethug Moneypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchyFungus
So why do you hate freedom?

I said before I was trolling with the freedom thing.
Why do you hate the idea of having the members of our society physically fit?

Rate This Thread: