Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 02-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #63061
Mistress_Ibanez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Englannissa
Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
what?


You just posted that you want schoolgirls to wear those stripper costumes. Seems fairly paedophilic to me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur all $h1t
I was doing some work in a disadvantaged school there for a while, and the first point there is a huge issue, even with younger children and even where there are uniforms. In order to counteract it the school itself was providing clean uniforms for those kids.

I remember when I was in primary school children used to be teased for not having cool enough runners; it of course had the effect of making already vulnerable children even more withdrawn.


I would also hate as a teacher to have to enforce a less strict dress code. Uniforms are easy, the worst you'll ever have to deal with is a skirt riding too high. Short Skirts, low cut tops, those weird tights that girls are wearing now with garter belt thingees sown in them, and other stuff that obviously can't be allowed presents a particular issue for young male teachers who need to be careful to avoid anything that could be seen as inappropriate, particularly with older female students where this is likely to occur.
Even with our uniform standards, girls used to play the game of "in noticing that my uniform is inappropriately short, you have had to look at my legs, which I will now construe to be inappropriate in and of itself".




None of these are massive issues of course, but Uniforms get around a number of minor (and one or two not so minor) issues without any real disadvantage to them; other than vague statements that they inhibit individuality as if it could only be expressed in dress.






Yes, it makes everything easier. I have had to give uniforms to several girls this week who've turned up in jeans or jumpers of a vaguely similar colour to the school one. It's mainly about letting them know that we will enforce arbitrary rules strictly so don't bother trying to break them. Seems to work.

Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez : 02-07-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Mistress_Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #63062
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
You know what I mean.


yeah, couldn't resist though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur all $h1t
I thought this was amusingly relevant:



hahahaha


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress_Ibanez
Why??

When they go out they deal drugs and steal from shops and, most significantly for their learning, bugger off somewhere and don't come back for afternoon sessions.

Enough of my lot fail to turn up for afternoon sessions and they've had to actively escape from school to manage that. If they could just walk out the front door at lunchtime they'd all be doing it.


i liked going out from school at lunchtime. that was awesome. mainly because the school food was complete shite. plus i mean we were only allowed out in 6th form. it was bad enough having to wear a uniform when you were 18 (i disagree with uniforms anyway), not letting us out at lunchtime would have been taking the piss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
Really? Because I need a break. I'd go for a walk with some friends. I'd hate to have been cooped up in there all day, a little bit of freedom makes everything easier.
Besides, I never ran away to deal drugs, and as far as I noticed not returning after lunch was not common at all in my school. Maybe there'd be one or two kids who would do it on occasion, but that was the same kid that would only come in when he felt like it (rarely) and wouldn't do the work anyway (and if that kid wanted out, he'd get out regardless) - keeping hundreds of kids locked up to put an easily traversable obstacle in place for the few that would leave seems silly.


+1

i'm no fan of collective punishment. neither is the geneva convention (yes, i went there, and yes i realise it only applies in wartime).

but the big problem with collective punishment (aside from being totally unjust and unfair) is that you piss off the people who are already going by the rules and who you want on your side. I'm pretty biddable as long as the rules make sense and are there for a good reason. so are most people with any sense. make up rules which i know are wrong and you've lost me- or at very least, i'm only going by those rules for an easy life i.e. i have no loyalty whatsoever to those in power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus_maximus
It helps to prevent bullying and instills a sense of identity. I see nothing wrong with it.


ok hitler. the hitler youth does that too. WHY ARE YOU ADVOCATING THE HITLER YOUTH?

seriously, though, there's plenty of bullying whether there's a uniform or not (and plenty of ways to show you have more money than the other kids). and a "sense of identity" is a crock of shit, are people gonna forget what school they go to without a uniform? Not to mention a "sense of identity" can get pretty sinister pretty quickly (fights with other schools, say, which is especially a problem here (probably)).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur all $h1t
(a) I wore Uniforms in school, never felt repressed either. Individuality was easily expressed in other ways; I grew my hair long and joined a band. Our school gave us ample opportunity to express individuality in ways other than designer jeans.

(b) Uniforms also have the notable advantage of reducing classroom distraction.

(c) To be honest, I think most kids in my school preferred the Uniform arrangement. We used to have "non uniform days" every so often, which by senior years people would dread due to the added pressure wearing your own clothes placed on your mornings.


(a) we weren't allowed long hair. we also had stupid rules because our headmaster was a total dick who believed his own propaganda- e.g. your coats had to be a certain colour (and the school wouldn't let you wear your coloured coat even if it was cold, or force you to buy another one). Our school arguably used the uniform as a way of keeping the riff-raff out, not the alternative which has been suggested by all the lefties in here. The big problem with rules is that it depends on who is enforcing those rules.

(b) do you have a source for that?

(c) isn't that arguably a consequence of having to wear a uniform the rest of the time, though? which puts the added pressure on the one day you get to wear your own clothes. if you wore your own clothes every day there's not as much pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress_Ibanez
It's also easier for members of the public to identify which school a child in the street is from, which can be helpful.


yeah in a police state
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.



Last edited by Dave_Mc : 02-07-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #63063
macashmack
Maskcashmack
 
macashmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress_Ibanez
You just posted that you want schoolgirls to wear those stripper costumes. Seems fairly paedophilic to me.








Yes, it makes everything easier. I have had to give uniforms to several girls this week who've turned up in jeans or jumpers of a vaguely similar colour to the school one. It's mainly about letting them know that we will enforce arbitrary rules strictly so don't bother trying to break them. Seems to work.

Are you trolling? I'm gonna assume you are.
__________________
I've been selling crack since, like, the fifth grade
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #63064
gabcd86
isn't French.
 
gabcd86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Camden, UK
Yeah, school uniform isn't a thing in France, so I got used to it not being a concern. I think my area was reasonably privileged, so there was never any real tension over it. Also, French kids aren't as evil as English ones. After a childhood spent only ever wearing the clothes I had for like, a third of my life, it was nice.

As for leaving at lunch, that was a privilege granted us in 6th form as well.
__________________
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

"En una revolucion, se triunfa o se muere, si es verdadera." ~Ernesto "Che" Guevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeb rocks
I guess that does technically make you the Che to my Fidel if it makes you feel better


UG Amplified
gabcd86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #63065
I.O.T.M
Cescual Deviant
 
I.O.T.M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
Are you trolling? I'm gonna assume you are.

How is it trolling to assume someone who wants to see young girls dressed in small clothes a perv?
__________________
CHELSEA FC

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy" - Albert Camus

I.O.T.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #63066
macashmack
Maskcashmack
 
macashmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.O.T.M
How is it trolling to assume someone who wants to see young girls dressed in small clothes a perv?

Because I was obviously joking about it. I forgot that most people here lack intelligence.
__________________
I've been selling crack since, like, the fifth grade
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #63067
Mistress_Ibanez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Englannissa
Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
Are you trolling? I'm gonna assume you are.



You're the one who posted a photo of a girl in a push up bra and miniskirt then said you wish that was school uniform. Don't try and backpedal now.



Also I think its fine for 16+ to wear what they want as they are mature enough to handle it. You are all just thinking of your own recent school experiences. Remember that 11 up to 16 arent that mature and need very firm boundaries.
Mistress_Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #63068
macashmack
Maskcashmack
 
macashmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress_Ibanez
You're the one who posted a photo of a girl in a push up bra and miniskirt then said you wish that was school uniform. Don't try and backpedal now.



Also I think its fine for 16+ to wear what they want as they are mature enough to handle it. You are all just thinking of your own recent school experiences. Remember that 11 up to 16 arent that mature and need very firm boundaries.

I'm not trying to backpedal. I clearly stated that I want uniforms to level the playing field, Neo said that studies show that it stimulates the males so that they learn better, so I said make the outfits sexy. If you actually believe that I was being serious you're a moron.
__________________
I've been selling crack since, like, the fifth grade
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #63069
Hydra150
not so cowardly
 
Hydra150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress_Ibanez
You just posted that you want schoolgirls to wear those stripper costumes. Seems fairly paedophilic to me.

I was still in school when I was his age. I disagree with your conclusion.
__________________
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.

Last edited by Hydra150 : 02-07-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #63070
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress_Ibanez
Also I think its fine for 16+ to wear what they want as they are mature enough to handle it. You are all just thinking of your own recent school experiences. Remember that 11 up to 16 arent that mature and need very firm boundaries.


if anything i was more biddable when i was 11 and thought that authority figures were all benign than I am now. granted, i'm probably the exception, but still.

Plus it doesn't make logical sense. I dunno about your school, but our school had non-uniform days. If it were such a problem, they wouldn't have had them. You can't say, "school uniforms don't work, kids need boundaries!" and then in the next breath say, "now who wants a non-uniform day?!"

Plus the fact that in loads of other countries it's not a problem at all suggests that what problems there are are blown out of proportion by conservative scaredy pro-uniform types.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.



Last edited by Dave_Mc : 02-07-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #63071
Ur all $h1t
Has an erection
 
Ur all $h1t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
(a) we weren't allowed long hair. we also had stupid rules because our headmaster was a total dick who believed his own propaganda- e.g. your coats had to be a certain colour (and the school wouldn't let you wear your coloured coat even if it was cold, or force you to buy another one). Our school arguably used the uniform as a way of keeping the riff-raff out, not the alternative which has been suggested by all the lefties in here. The big problem with rules is that it depends on who is enforcing those rules.


For sure, that would apply to a school where ordinary clothes are worn also to be fair. You can always have some crazy person enforcing rules in a silly manner.

Quote:
(b) do you have a source for that?


Nope, it wasn't really an academic point . I do know though that I went to school with the girl I was seeing as a teenager, and had she been allowed to wear her own clothes I reckon I would have failed miserably to pay attention to anything else; it was difficult enough as it was.

Quote:
(c) isn't that arguably a consequence of having to wear a uniform the rest of the time, though? which puts the added pressure on the one day you get to wear your own clothes. if you wore your own clothes every day there's not as much pressure.


Arguably, but I don't think so. The reverse point could be made that because it was only one day it was easier, you only had to own one decent outfit. If you had to have a load of them for every day the pressure could be even worse.
__________________
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Ur all $h1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #63072
Hydra150
not so cowardly
 
Hydra150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scotland
tbh I just liked dressing up smart and snazzy (after I got through my lengthy jeans-wearing stick it to the man period). If there were no uniform then a boy who dressed up smartly would be picked on, which would have been a shame because my smart (read: uncomfortable) shoes looked pretty neat.
__________________
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #63073
Ur all $h1t
Has an erection
 
Ur all $h1t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
Plus the fact that in loads of other countries it's not a problem at all suggests that what problems there are are blown out of proportion by conservative scaredy pro-uniform types.

I don't think anyone's suggesting that having students wear ordinary clothes is going to break the fabric of society or anything, just that it makes a number of things easier and has a number of pros, while not really having any serious cons in my book.

Hell, the restrictions on my clothing as an adult are way worse, now I have to wear a God Damn suit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
tbh I just liked dressing up smart and snazzy (after I got through my lengthy jeans-wearing stick it to the man period). If there were no uniform then a boy who dressed up smartly would be picked on, which would have been a shame because my smart (read: uncomfortable) shoes looked pretty neat.

Our teachers used to say it would at least make sure we all knew how to wear a tie; which was bullshit because I am constantly having to re-knot my barmens' ties.
__________________
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington

Last edited by Ur all $h1t : 02-07-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Ur all $h1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #63074
I.O.T.M
Cescual Deviant
 
I.O.T.M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
At work, I have to wear safety boots, a company polo shirt and a pair of jeans. In sixth form, I got to wear a suit.

School > Work
__________________
CHELSEA FC

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy" - Albert Camus

I.O.T.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #63075
Hydra150
not so cowardly
 
Hydra150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.O.T.M
At work, I have to wear safety boots, a company polo shirt and a pair of jeans. In sixth form, I got to wear a suit.

School > Work

I heartily agree.
I didn't learn how to tie a double windsor so that I could button up dusty overalls
__________________
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.

Last edited by Hydra150 : 02-07-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #63076
Mistress_Ibanez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Englannissa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
if anything i was more biddable when i was 11 and thought that authority figures were all benign than I am now. granted, i'm probably the exception, but still.

Plus it doesn't make logical sense. I dunno about your school, but our school had non-uniform days. If it were such a problem, they wouldn't have had them. You can't say, "school uniforms don't work, kids need boundaries!" and then in the next breath say, "now who wants a non-uniform day?!"

Plus the fact that in loads of other countries it's not a problem at all suggests that what problems there are are blown out of proportion by conservative scaredy pro-uniform types.


Non uniform days are a nightmare. We brace ourselves for them. No teaching can take place on a non uniform day. The kids are constantly hyper. Multiple fights. Kids forget that schools ever had rules and think they can walk out of lessons and shout and swear at teachers. It's a lost day of crowd control and watching DVDs.
Mistress_Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #63077
Mistress_Ibanez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Englannissa
Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
I'm not trying to backpedal. I clearly stated that I want uniforms to level the playing field, Neo said that studies show that it stimulates the males so that they learn better, so I said make the outfits sexy. If you actually believe that I was being serious you're a moron.


Waah I didn't like your paedophile joke. Get over it.
Mistress_Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #63078
Hydra150
not so cowardly
 
Hydra150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress_Ibanez
ololol i trol u. Get over it.

ftfy
__________________
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #63079
I.O.T.M
Cescual Deviant
 
I.O.T.M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
I heartily agree.
I didn't learn how to tie a double windsor so that I could button up dusty overalls

After the revolution, everyone will be allowed to wear fantastic suits!

My work uniform sucks balls!

The only good thing about work is that I get to operate a forklift without a licence every so often. >_>
__________________
CHELSEA FC

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy" - Albert Camus

I.O.T.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #63080
Hydra150
not so cowardly
 
Hydra150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scotland
Why don't you get a license?
__________________
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:46 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.