Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-07-2015, 07:19 PM   #1
Jamesplaysbass

Smile PRS for metal?

Hey UG! So my question is what (in your personal opinion) is the value of PRS electrics for rock and heavy metal? In particual i want to know about the Custom 24 line and the SE 24s as well.The kind of stuff I'll be playing ranges from Led Zeppelin to Metallica and Megadeth. Of course there are tons of others but those are my main influences.

So if you have an opinion on either model, just tell me what you think of them and their overall metal and rock value.

Thanks!
Jamesplaysbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:30 PM   #2
oneblackened
Futile Bread Machine

They can totally do that. PRSi are extremely versatile instruments.
ESP Horizon NT-7 (BWGC Elder God)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:31 PM   #3
dthmtl3

Are any of those US-made? I don't know if the pickups and tremolos are best suited for metal.
Not crazy about the shape or the emo bird inlays. But in the end it comes down to what guitar you feel best playing.
dthmtl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:42 PM   #4
ltdguy27
Doodly Doo

PRSs are some of the most versatile guitars out there. The guys from Opeth play PRSs among other metal players. As long as you have the right amp you can go very far with them.
I should add the PRS SE torero is actually designed for metal.
http://www.prsguitars.com/setorero/
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Eleven Rack
ltdguy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #5
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthmtl3
Are any of those US-made? I don't know if the pickups and tremolos are best suited for metal.
Not crazy about the shape or the emo bird inlays. But in the end it comes down to what guitar you feel best playing.

The SE line isn't USA made, they're made in Korea and inspected/setup in the US.

The PRSs are good guitars for the money, especially the SE line. I'm a fan of them even though I don't own one personally. They'll do metal fine.

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Line 6 M13
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Gojira FX Mammoth Fuzz
TheStig1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:24 PM   #6
Banjocal
feck

Paul Allender has a signature with them and it is absolutely beautiful. Just get the original rather than the reissue if possible.
Banjocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:36 PM   #7
jman99

Between the Buried and Me uses PRS and they have some pretty aggressive tones at times.
jman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:43 PM   #8
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman99
Between the Buried and Me uses PRS and they have some pretty aggressive tones at times.

Slightly misleading because they don't use stock pickups; Waring's limited run signature has custom pickups in it and Waggoner uses BKP Blackhawks.

That said... I have a PRS Custom 24 SE and it does basically anything I want it to. You're probably not going to get dimebag style squeals out of the tremolo but then if you want that you should definitely be using something with a proper locking, floating trem system. Apart from that... it will do anything you want, it depends much more on your amp set up than anything else.

Album.
Legion.
Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:23 PM   #9
krm27

Is there any electric guitar you can't use for metal, if you throw on the right pedals (overdrive, distortion, etc.)? My amp has this high gain/distortion setting that makes every guitar I plug into it sound like metal. I personally don't like or play metal, so I generally avoid that setting.

I think it would be harder to find a guitar tone that is cleaner, like for surf or acoustic or blues or whatever. Metal is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Ken
Old 07-07-2015, 09:27 PM   #10
jpnyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig1214
The SE line isn't USA made, they're made in Korea and inspected/setup in the US.

Some of them are made in Indonesia now. The MII quality is on par with the MIK guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krm27
Is there any electric guitar you can't use for metal…?

Most hollow bodies will feed back like crazy if you use them with any more gain than early Sabbath. Other than that there’s probably no electrics that somebody isn’t using to play metal.
jpnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #11
Rick_Kala

Tons of guys using PRS now for Metal. Paul Allender, Emil Werstler, Guys from Opeth, Marty Friedman etc....
Rick_Kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:49 PM   #12
MAChiefs

Quote:
Is there any electric guitar you can't use for metal, if you throw on the right pedals (overdrive, distortion, etc.)? My amp has this high gain/distortion setting that makes every guitar I plug into it sound like metal. I personally don't like or play metal, so I generally avoid that setting.

I think it would be harder to find a guitar tone that is cleaner, like for surf or acoustic or blues or whatever. Metal is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Ken

Totally agree. There could be a debate over pickups, but even most pickups will work.
MAChiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:22 AM   #13
crackerjack123

SE Tremonti. Same pickups as usa model, and last time I looked I'm sure he plays metal. The LTD edition versions from 2014 is actually full body size too, about 800 quid or so. Killer guitar.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:33 AM   #14
LP_CL
Gimme a beer!

If you have the right amp, ANY guitar is good for rock/metal. Pick the one with humbuckers that is the most comfortable for you and be picky about the amp you buy.
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
LP_CL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:00 AM   #15
trashedlostfdup
likes hamuckers.

Quote:

Ken

+3.1415. THANK YOU! these 'can this guitar do _____' threads are driving me crazy.

there may be common 'preferences' but anything can do the job. every once in a while i will plug my fender RI tele in to one of my high gain heads and it sounds great.

do i use other guitars for metal? typically. but i wouldn't limit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
...We already knew from the rest of the sentence that you really don't know what you're talking about.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:00 AM   #16
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

As long as your amp (or, in my case, since apartment: amp sim on my beefy PC) is good enough to really push the distortion, then you should be just fine playing Metal and Hard Rock with a PRS guitar.
Mark Tremonti, who you may know from Creed (lol) or Alter Bridge or his solo records, plays PRS guitars. His stuff isn't really metal, although it can get pretty distorted. The boys from Opeth were already mentioned, of course. Marty Friedman is another metal name. Mark Halcomb of Periphery. The guys from Between the Buried and Me. All fairly well known players (who are currently or have been in the past) in fairly well known bands!

Quote:
You shouldn't shoot off about stuff you don't know about. Yes, you can crank the distortion on any guitar. But that's not what people mean when they want to know "Can X guitar play Y genre?". In this case, TS's concern should be: will the guitar become muddy sounding at high distortion levels? Good electronics and pickups that are designed to handle heavy distortion are a must.
Don't act like you can just pull a "1 size fits all". That doesn't work for t-shirts or baseball caps; why would it work for guitars? You can't just crank the distortion and expect it to sound good -- with a clean tone, clarity, good dynamics, etc. You need a guitar that can handle what you're trying to do.

It's like how you don't race a Hydunai Sonata at the Indy 500, because it's NOT a race car!

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 07-09-2015 at 11:02 AM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:46 PM   #17
MAChiefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax

You shouldn't shoot off about stuff you don't know about. Yes, you can crank the distortion on any guitar. But that's not what people mean when they want to know "Can X guitar play Y genre?". In this case, TS's concern should be: will the guitar become muddy sounding at high distortion levels? Good electronics and pickups that are designed to handle heavy distortion are a must.
Don't act like you can just pull a "1 size fits all". That doesn't work for t-shirts or baseball caps; why would it work for guitars? You can't just crank the distortion and expect it to sound good -- with a clean tone, clarity, good dynamics, etc. You need a guitar that can handle what you're trying to do.

It's like how you don't race a Hydunai Sonata at the Indy 500, because it's NOT a race car!

Your analogy doesn't really work. First, nobody on this board can race in the Indy 500, therefore, equating the general term "metal" as the most elite in the world is silly. Second, the analogy is more like the TS asking "can a Hundai drive fast", and the answer is yes it can. Third, muddy distortion with any decent pickup is unusual, it is most likely the setup. Besides, tone is so subjective anyway.

Other than low end crap guitars, some vintage pickups, and a few other anomalies, the general player can play "metal" on most guitars. The fact is the amp, pedals and playing style have a bigger impact than guitar. I believe that was the intent of the reply that you jumped on.
MAChiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:22 PM   #18
gabehwkns1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesplaysbass
Hey UG! So my question is what (in your personal opinion) is the value of PRS electrics for rock and heavy metal? In particual i want to know about the Custom 24 line and the SE 24s as well.The kind of stuff I'll be playing ranges from Led Zeppelin to Metallica and Megadeth. Of course there are tons of others but those are my main influences.

So if you have an opinion on either model, just tell me what you think of them and their overall metal and rock value.

Thanks!

PRS guitars have absolutely fantastic tone and you can use them for almost anything. Definitely try one out if you can.
gabehwkns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:27 PM   #19
Robbie-G

I'm primarily a metal player and proud owner of a Custom 22. I would say yes a PRS can definitely do metal, although mines not my main guitar these days and I find the stock Dragon II pickups to personally be a little lacking when used in a metal situations compared to other pickups. That being said not all PRS come with Dragon II's and some of the others pups PRS offer are more suited for heavier styles.

I also found that mine didn't take to lower Drop Tunings very well if thats your thing. In the past I've tried Drop B and C on it and found it didn't work as well as I would have hoped, but mine also has the older "wing" tuners, and I think that played a role. AFAIK the newer ones have newer improved tuners though which should handle heavier strings better.

I keep mine in Standard and sometimes Drop D and don't really tune super low in general these days and as far as metal goes I use it all the time for playing Metallica, Pantera and Lamb of God and it usually rips when running into my Dual Rec.
Robbie-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:57 AM   #20
Azunaii

The PRS Tremonti will handle its metal, to name one model. SE Tremonti maybe less so with the stock pickups. Just listen to Tremonti's solo records. Both him and 2nd guitarist Eric Friedman play PRS. Of course he's backed by some serious amps and pedals, but if that doesn't prove PRS' viability for metal, I don't know what will.
Tanglewood TW115 CW
Azunaii is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: