Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-20-2014, 11:50 PM   #1
sudzinsky

Looking for some guitar model ideas for metal

Just trying to get some ideas of actual models that I should look for in my local area to play and see which I like the feel of. My budget is about $500-600 and I'm an intermediate level player. I'm looking for something to play Metallica (the most), Megadeath, Mudvayne, SoaD, All That Remains, A7X, Slipknot.

I know the popular metal brands are the likes of Ibanez, Schecter, Jackson, ESP/LTD, and ?? But which models within my budget (I'm ok with used, actually prefer it) do you guys think I should look at?
sudzinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:56 PM   #2
dspellman

we don't know what your "local area" is yet, do we?

Your budget is smack in the middle of the Manufacturer's Middle and most guitars in that range are going to be mass-produced Asian-sourced guitars, with the occasional higher-end piece filtering down in the used market. If you're not in the US, you're going to be looking at the same brands you've mentioned. In black. Because it's metal.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:11 AM   #3
sudzinsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
we don't know what your "local area" is yet, do we?

Your budget is smack in the middle of the Manufacturer's Middle and most guitars in that range are going to be mass-produced Asian-sourced guitars, with the occasional higher-end piece filtering down in the used market. If you're not in the US, you're going to be looking at the same brands you've mentioned. In black. Because it's metal.

I figured I was in the middle which is why I'm interested in something used, hoping that it could push the value a bit over the middle margin. Yes I'm in the US, and black isn't a requirement lol I am however looking for something with a Floyd Rose..Or Ibanez's new system if the neck felt good enough.

I'm going to look at this Schecter Hellraiser C1 tomorrow. http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/msg/4782758289.html
Old 12-21-2014, 12:15 AM   #4
Tallwood13

at the end of the day brand means nothing. Think of it like you're in a food court in a mall. You know what tastes good and what doesn't. Other than you "should" go with this or that like most forums will here's some advice or tips.

I discourage people from buying online because you don't get to try the guitar. Reviews are either wooo 10/10 even if the frets aren't leveled or anything because wow factor comes into it.

try a few guitars in shops and see what you like and you don't. Avoid signature series models like the pros because it takes more than a guitar to get their tone. Talent and sound are two totally different beasts.

look at the specs, write down or if you've got a cellphone take a photo of the guitar to remember it. lmao there's been many times i played a good guitar and had to remember what the heck it was. Jackson , Schecter or LTD (same company) , BC Rich are usually my go to guides for guitars. Agile is fantastic too. Ibanez I tell guys to avoid which usually means I get a hateful message or whatever but I've played it all. J craft and all and never said wow shut up and take my money.

see if you like thick necks or thin
see which shapes work best for you, explorers and telecasters I like a lot and never thought I'd own either

grover tuners or something name brand is a nice start
graphtech tusq nuts are great too , but don't worry about the nuts too much
neckthrough or bolt on construction
humbuckers are a must
mahogany bodies and necks = a dark tone
maple necks or maple /alder bodies = a dark tone
nickel plated steel = balanced tones ., pure nickel = dark tones
don't worry too much about fretboards or tops the guitar is made of as much as body wood, thickness of it (heavy guitars = more sustain).

floyd rose guitars tend to sound thinner to me, string through with tuneomatics are fantastic. Little to no maintenance. Less headaches re-stringing or changing tuning or string size.

other than that a good amp and if you're beginner to intermediate a guitar processor is a really nice investment.

Last edited by Tallwood13 : 12-21-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Tallwood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:16 AM   #5
Explorer91

Find yourself a used LTD, something like an EC1000 or MH1000... depending on what body style you like. LTD is arguably one of the best manufacturers in that price range for used.
Explorer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #6
sudzinsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer91
Find yourself a used LTD, something like an EC1000 or MH1000... depending on what body style you like. LTD is arguably one of the best manufacturers in that price range for used.

What's the difference between the LTD M, H, and MH series?
Old 12-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #7
Explorer91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudzinsky
What's the difference between the LTD M, H, and MH series?

Honestly they just vary in body style. The easiest way to distinguish them is the headstocks. The M has a reverse headstock, the H has a headstock with 3x3 tuning keys rather than 6 inline, and the MH has the normal ESP/LTD headstock.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #8
monwobobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallwood13
at the end of the day brand means nothing. Think of it like you're in a food court in a mall. You know what tastes good and what doesn't. Other than you "should" go with this or that like most forums will here's some advice or tips.

I discourage people from buying online because you don't get to try the guitar. Reviews are either wooo 10/10 even if the frets aren't leveled or anything because wow factor comes into it.

try a few guitars in shops and see what you like and you don't. Avoid signature series models like the pros because it takes more than a guitar to get their tone. Talent and sound are two totally different beasts.

look at the specs, write down or if you've got a cellphone take a photo of the guitar to remember it. lmao there's been many times i played a good guitar and had to remember what the heck it was. Jackson , Schecter or LTD (same company) , BC Rich are usually my go to guides for guitars. Agile is fantastic too. Ibanez I tell guys to avoid which usually means I get a hateful message or whatever but I've played it all. J craft and all and never said wow shut up and take my money.

see if you like thick necks or thin
see which shapes work best for you, explorers and telecasters I like a lot and never thought I'd own either

grover tuners or something name brand is a nice start
graphtech tusq nuts are great too , but don't worry about the nuts too much
neckthrough or bolt on construction
humbuckers are a must
mahogany bodies and necks = a dark tone
maple necks or maple /alder bodies = a dark tone
nickel plated steel = balanced tones ., pure nickel = dark tones
don't worry too much about fretboards or tops the guitar is made of as much as body wood, thickness of it (heavy guitars = more sustain).

floyd rose guitars tend to sound thinner to me, string through with tuneomatics are fantastic. Little to no maintenance. Less headaches re-stringing or changing tuning or string size.

other than that a good amp and if you're beginner to intermediate a guitar processor is a really nice investment.

you always make me laugh as it seems that you just can't resist peppering in some prejudices with solid advice. food and guitars only have one thing in common. you have to try each one to see if you like them. I might prefer a Burger King cheeseburger to a Macdonalds one even though they are both essentially the same.

alder/maple = dark tone? not in my experience that is the most common combo found in fender guitars which are anything but dark.

don't like Ibanez well that's fine but in this case they might be perfect for the OP. you have to think about what might be best for the OP and not let your own preferences override that. I don't care for most Schecter guitars myself but for a metal guy they are often just what the doctor ordered. I don't have a problem trying to steer posters toward gear you use. we'd all like to think that what we use is good stuff (at least I hope so). bad mouthing gear just because you don't like it doesn't really help. sure some gear deserves it but you do have to be careful.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:12 PM   #9
sudzinsky

I spent a few hours at a local GC the other day playing a bunch of different guitars and what I came out of there with was pretty eye opening. I have medium sized hands, but on the smaller side of medium. So I've always thought I should go for the thinnest necks. Playing super thin Ibanez and Jacksons felt good but there was just something missing about it. I tried out a handful of Schecters which were nice..I definitely liked the ebony fretboards. But the necks, while a little thicker than the Iby's and Jacksons was still just not there.

Then I picked up an LTD MH-350 I believe it was and it had a huge and thick U style neck that felt 3-4 times thicker than the Jackson speed necks and the Ibanez Wizard necks, however...It was so much more comfortable in my hand and I felt like I could hit my scales so much easier...Only thing I can come up with is that because the neck is thicker, I have more leverage on my thumb? I'm really not sure why it felt so much better and easier to play than the super thin necks but I'm going with it, and trying to find a used 1000 (not sure if EC or MH).

Last edited by sudzinsky : 12-22-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #10
Explorer91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudzinsky
I spent a few hours at a local GC the other day playing a bunch of different guitars and what I came out of there with was pretty eye opening. I have medium sized hands, but on the smaller side of medium. So I've always thought I should go for the thinnest necks. Playing super thin Ibanez and Jacksons felt good but there was just something missing about it. I tried out a handful of Schecters which were nice..I definitely liked the ebony fretboards. But the necks, while a little thicker than the Iby's and Jacksons was still just not there.

Then I picked up an LTD MH-350 I believe it was and it had a huge and thick U style neck that felt 3-4 times thicker than the Jackson speed necks and the Ibanez Wizard necks, however...It was so much more comfortable in my hand and I felt like I could hit my scales so much easier...Only thing I can come up with is that because the neck is thicker, I have more leverage on my thumb? I'm really not sure why it felt so much better and easier to play than the super thin necks but I'm going with it, and trying to find a used 1000 (not sure if EC or MH).

As far as I know all LTD's come with what they call a "Thin U" neck, but yeah, they're a little bit thicker than your Jackson "Speed" necks or the Schecter necks. Schecter and Jackson are typically very flat and thin, LTD's have a smaller U shape (I compare them to a smaller Les Paul neck, my LTD neck is a lot like my Gib. LP Studio), and then you have your guitars that have a V contour (my Dean ML has this). It's really all just personal preference.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Everyone forgets Fernandes. Virtually their entire line is aimed at harder genres of rock.

And their online store is having a clearance sale.
www.fernandesguitarshop.com

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: