Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-15-2015, 08:24 PM   #1
allegaeon11

guitar to play metal

hi, im pretty new to electric guitar, im looking for a good starter guitar to play metal. i have couple good offers atm at a shop .

schecter damien 6 at 300$
jackson js30dkt at 200 with seymour duncan pickup
ibanez gio at 100$

any of theses one a good deal, or i should just go with the cheaper one cuz i wont see any difference at my level..

tks for tips
sry for bad english XD

Last edited by allegaeon11 : 02-15-2015 at 08:25 PM.
allegaeon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
monwobobbo

if you can afford one of the better options then go for it. having a guitar that you can grow with is a better idea. you get a dirt cheap one and 6 months from now you'll just be looking for a new one.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:16 PM   #3
HomerSGR
What?

What is your budget? Do you have an amp or do you need to buy that too?

A good guitar doesn't need to cost a lot even for a beginner if you know what to get and where, but the very cheapest ones generally aren't very good. Better to get something that could serve you for years now than to find that your 100 USD guitar don't hold up after 6 months.

To be able to help you, we need to know what you aim to spend, where you are and what features you need - specifying genre is good, but metal is a really broad term and used to refer to as different things as Iron Maiden and Cannibal Corpse.

Don't rush out and buy a guitar tomorrow. Plan your purchase and you'll be happier and save money in the long run.

How you know you have too many guitars...
HomerSGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:57 PM   #4
'DC fan
how did I get here

I'd get the schecter personally, better guitar you can get at a beginner level will make you want to play more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
'DC fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:12 PM   #5
Fallenoath
My minds playin' tricks

I like Ibanez but I don't know about the Gio models. I think those are rather poor quality. Made in Japan Ibanez are great though.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Fallenoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:59 PM   #6
Knarrenheino
SoCalled guitarist

A $200 Jackson with Seymour Duncans? You sure?
Knarrenheino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:32 PM   #7
allegaeon11

yeah they are used of course tho

heres the jackson http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitare/vill...gationFlag=true

and heres the schecter , the price is wrong, i talked to the guy and hes selling it at 300 http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitare/vill...gationFlag=true

Last edited by allegaeon11 : 02-16-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:50 AM   #8
romeozdistress

go used.
Peavey Vypyr 30
Snark SN1

Squier Matt Freeman Precision Bass
Kustom KBA100
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:36 AM   #9
metalmingee

The Jackson has a Duncan Distortion in the bridge which is a great pickup for metal.

What you really need to compare is the overall build of the guitars though. The JS30 is on the lower end of Jacksons and can be hit or miss. I'm not sure where the Schecter fits in their line up.

The pickups in the Schecter aren't that great but you can swap them out later.

Can you play both before you decide?
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)

Amps:
Peavey 5150 212 Combo with V30s
Randall RG100SC (original, not the G2 or G3) - For Sale
Peavey Vypyr 30
metalmingee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:49 AM   #10
T00DEEPBLUE
Illuminati IsRAEL

I'd advise getting the Schecter. While I do like the higher end Japanese-made Jacksons a lot, I don't think the cheap Indian and Chinese-made guitars are very good. The Duncan Distortion is nice, but given that you're a beginner and are likely to only get a cheap practice amp, I don't think you're going to be able to take advantage of it very much.
Is this like one of those things where when you were on the bus kids would ask you weird wuestion and one meant you were gay or something but they'd never tell you what the question meant till you answered

mfw

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 02-17-2015 at 10:12 AM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:40 AM   #11
Knarrenheino
SoCalled guitarist

A Jackson neck with a SD for 200 sounds very tempting though...
Knarrenheino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:46 PM   #12
t1mman

Looks like you're in the Quebec area, so am I!

there's a couple of gears group on facebook, you could find a deal there.

As for what you have found, I'd stay away from a Gio, and you can get a decent Mid Level ibanez for 300$ easy.

There's a big difference between the feel of a Schecter (fat, baseball style neck) and an Ibanez (Slim, flat neck). You will find your preferences by trying them out.

Send me a PM, I'm in the same area as you, I could probably help find something good!
t1mman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:24 PM   #13
allegaeon11

pm sent t1mman
Old 03-06-2015, 10:18 PM   #14
felixknott

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegaeon11
hi, im pretty new to electric guitar, im looking for a good starter guitar to play metal. i have couple good offers atm at a shop .

schecter damien 6 at 300$
jackson js30dkt at 200 with seymour duncan pickup
ibanez gio at 100$

any of theses one a good deal, or i should just go with the cheaper one cuz i wont see any difference at my level..

tks for tips
sry for bad english XD

If you ask me I wouldn't go for any of those guitars I'd recommend going for an epiphone. There is no reason to think that you will be able to play metal better on any of those guitars just because they look more "Metal". Jackson's, Schecter's and Ibanez' are typical guitars that new guitarists get when they want to play metal and not much else but after a while they end up selling them when they realise that they are not particularly good guitars. You can get a nice Epiphone les paul studio for the same price as the schecter and not only will it play and sound thousands times nicer than the schecter for metal but it will sound and play millions of times better than the schecter for pretty much any other style of music. Plus les pauls look much nicer than those other guitars you mentioned and I guarantee you will not be looking to sell your les paul any time soon. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar-in-Ebony-/291390079085?pt=Guitar&hash=item43d833c06d
felixknott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:28 AM   #15
the_bi99man

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixknott
If you ask me I wouldn't go for any of those guitars I'd recommend going for an epiphone. There is no reason to think that you will be able to play metal better on any of those guitars just because they look more "Metal". Jackson's, Schecter's and Ibanez' are typical guitars that new guitarists get when they want to play metal and not much else but after a while they end up selling them when they realise that they are not particularly good guitars. You can get a nice Epiphone les paul studio for the same price as the schecter and not only will it play and sound thousands times nicer than the schecter for metal but it will sound and play millions of times better than the schecter for pretty much any other style of music. Plus les pauls look much nicer than those other guitars you mentioned and I guarantee you will not be looking to sell your les paul any time soon. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-Le...=item43d833c06d

I get the feeling that it's been a while since you've played a new Schecter... In my experience, which includes playing/demoing dozens of Schecters, and Ibanezes, and Epiphones, the Schecters feel better than either of the others, at just about any price point from $300-$1000ish, more often than not. Not saying Epiphones are bad, but Schecters are absolutely up to the same, if not better, standard of quality control, fretwork and factory setups. As for the sound? Cheap pickups are cheap pickups, regardless of brand (and if you're going used, it's pretty easy to find higher end Schecter models with SD or EMG pickups, for $500ish). And pickups can be replaced. And your amp defines your tone far more than pickups anyway. Schecters (and Ibanezes, and Jacksons, and literally any other guitar ever made) are able to play any genre. There's no such thing as a genre-specific guitar, aside from cosmetic things. It would be weird to see someone playing some kind of weird super chill indie rock with a sharp V shape guitar, with horns, and blood and skull inlays or some shit.

Edit: Take, for example, the Schecter C-1 Classic that I just bought at a pawn shop last month. $350. SD JB/Jazz pickups w/5-way switch. Near-mind condition. One of the smoothest and easiest playing necks I have ever felt, with flawless fret ends. Just sayin.
Basses n shit...
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
GK 400RB w/Ampeg 4x10 Cab, EH Q-Tron+ w/Bass Big Muff in loop

Last edited by the_bi99man : 03-07-2015 at 05:37 AM.
the_bi99man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:48 PM   #16
HomerSGR
What?

Epiphone Les Paul over Schecter, Ibanez or Jacksons in the same price-range? Don't smoke, people. It's bad for your health, well-being and cognitive functioning.

These brands have built their whole operation on offering high-performing instruments at good values for money - Epiphone's primary and, if you ask the loudest critics, only sales argument is that the offer 'official copies' of famous Gibson-designs, not only of aging designs but also of compromised quality as to not compete with the main brand.

My personal experience with Schecter and Ibanez especially is that they are some of the best value for money instruments out there, if you consider the widely available brands. (Some UG-veteran will now come and recommend you Reverend, G&L, or other almost-impossible-to-try brand, if you're anywhere but CA, USA, Earth)

How you know you have too many guitars...
HomerSGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:16 AM   #17
Carrot
UG's only carrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSGR
Epiphone Les Paul over Schecter, Ibanez or Jacksons in the same price-range? Don't smoke, people. It's bad for your health, well-being and cognitive functioning.

These brands have built their whole operation on offering high-performing instruments at good values for money - Epiphone's primary and, if you ask the loudest critics, only sales argument is that the offer 'official copies' of famous Gibson-designs, not only of aging designs but also of compromised quality as to not compete with the main brand.

My personal experience with Schecter and Ibanez especially is that they are some of the best value for money instruments out there, if you consider the widely available brands. (Some UG-veteran will now come and recommend you Reverend, G&L, or other almost-impossible-to-try brand, if you're anywhere but CA, USA, Earth)

Not only that, but he was on about a studio too..

Saying whats been said already, id probs grab that jackson out of what you listed.
That being said, I did save up more and buy my LTD when id been playing about 7 months.

'13 PRS Custom 24 SE IG rolling mills
07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
14 Fender strat HH

Engl Powerball
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:10 PM   #18
trashbeast

My advice is buy the cheapest one. Don't get caught up in the gear game, it's too early for that. Y ou have no idea what you like and don't like yet. It also leaves you more money for a decent quality amp which is much more important at this stage. So get the Gio and save the rest of the cash towards your next guitar. Take your time and choose based on what you like and don't like about the Gio.

HITMAN
WHISKEY STONER METAL
For fans of Pantera, Down, Clutch, Megadeth, and Black Sabbath!
https://hitmanhalifax.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/Hitmantheband
trashbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:13 PM   #19
Fisheth24
I play Bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashbeast
My advice is buy the cheapest one. Don't get caught up in the gear game, it's too early for that. Y ou have no idea what you like and don't like yet. It also leaves you more money for a decent quality amp which is much more important at this stage. So get the Gio and save the rest of the cash towards your next guitar. Take your time and choose based on what you like and don't like about the Gio.

I'd like to offer the otherside of the coin here. Where as this is sound advice, I wouldn't buy the cheapest one just because you might not like it. If you can go to a guitar store and sit and hold a few guitars and see which ones you like the feel of.

Vintage Modified Squier Jazz V
BC Rich WMD Widow 5
Vintage EST96 (Musicman copy)

JCM 800
Orange Bass Terror
Harley Benton 4X10.
Fisheth24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #20
T00DEEPBLUE
Illuminati IsRAEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashbeast

Yeah but in my experience GIO's suck.

It was when I bought a guitar that actually played properly that I was encouraged to play guitar. Cheap guitars with crap playability make learning how to play frustrating. And what exactly is stopping TS from knowing what he wants before he buys anything? There's guitar stores in his local area, nobody can stop him from trying a bunch of guitars out before buying them.
Is this like one of those things where when you were on the bus kids would ask you weird wuestion and one meant you were gay or something but they'd never tell you what the question meant till you answered

mfw

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 03-09-2015 at 01:48 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: