Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #1
nickmcneal

Help with Fretting Out?

Hey everyone,

I have a BC Rich Mockingbird - it's tuned to C standard. It plays well, but the only problem is that when I bend on the fourteenth fret, if I get to, say, 3/4 a whole note, the note suddenly changes pitch quietly and dies out, like a quiet voice crack. Also, from about the 12th fret to 15th fret, it sounds likes it's fretting out, but only on the high E (or C in this case). Help?
nickmcneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Love is blind, and probably missing a few other sense, too.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
Paleo Pete

I agree. Check the neck relief but I think it's most likely you need to raise the action a tiny bit.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
dspellman

Have the frets checked for level in that region. You may have a fret or two that needs to be worked over. A good tech can often squeeze the offending high fret down with a fret press, or he might hammer it down a bit OR he could take the files to it. In any case, if it's just a fret or two, the cost isn't killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleo Pete
I agree. Check the neck relief but I think it's most likely you need to raise the action a tiny bit.

Fretting out isn't usually a relief issue if it's as limited as this is, though it's worth double checking it. Raising the action in this case is just a kludge until you can get the offending frets leveled. It's not something that you should have to assume you need to live with.

Last edited by dspellman : 12-19-2014 at 10:33 AM.
dspellman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:44 PM   #5
JustRooster
Organ Donor

If he's fretting out on bends between the 12-15th fret, that's pretty tell-tale that his neck is concave. A slight truss adjustment just may be the answer. Again, do everything from the setup thread.

Quote:

Old 12-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #6
Tallwood13

For my two bc riches I ended up scalloping them using a round file. The string control and bends you can get are insane. I liked it so much I ended up doing it on my NJ series beast with a floyd rose.

however fret radius makes or breaks a good string bend that high up. I've seen 8 string guys going with like a 20 radius.

my tip for anyone trying scalloped fretboards for the first time try a slightly heavier gauge and work your way down. My two guitars with it I did 10 years ago and no warping or anything I regret. With super low action the strings just happen to bend better. I never found it harder to play and I'm down to 9-46.
Tallwood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:22 AM   #7
JustRooster
Organ Donor

I really doubt scalloping his fretboard will combat his fretbuzz.

Quote:

Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM   #8
nickmcneal

Thanks everyone for the replies,

The action is actually, in my opinion, somewhat high, and I've always loved lower action for shredding and such. I was actually going to lower the action but now with this issue, I'm not sure. Yeah, it's only a few frets - so I'm still not sure what the problem is or what I should do. I'm not even sure if it's fretting out, I just think that's what's happening.

Nick
nickmcneal is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: