User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-13-2013, 10:58 PM   #2461
4FunandProphet
Not actually a prophet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico_9550
Okay, I've got a real problem now the little screw thing tightens up the tremolo arm has somehow managed to disappear:
show

What is the part that goes there? And, is it repalcable?
Thank you

Is that on a Jackson or older Charvel? It looks like a JT580LP.
4FunandProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #2462
nico_9550
Registred lurker

No, it's a Godin Freeway Floyd
nico_9550 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #2463
4FunandProphet

Ah, well that's what I get for thinking. Contact Godin and see if they have one kicking around. Hell, they may even send it to you for free.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #2464
nico_9550
Registred lurker

Quote:
Ah, well that's what I get for thinking. Contact Godin and see if they have one kicking around. Hell, they may even send it to you for free.

Damn I was hoping I could get it in a hardware store or something, thank you
Old 02-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #2465
4FunandProphet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico_9550
Damn I was hoping I could get it in a hardware store or something, thank you

You possibly could. Pull the bridge and carry it to the hardware store and see if they have any Allen head machine screws that tiny. They may, MAY have something. It's worth a shot.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #2466
Lemoninfluence
Masculist

Anyone particularly familiar with the Ibanez Edge Pro?

One of the saddles came loose a few weeks ago (it shot forward as I was bringing the string up to tension but I just assumed it was the string jumping to a more naturally secure position in the tuner) and so the intonation was out a fair bit. Today I decided to see if I could get it sorted.

As I took it the trem out of the guitar a small strip of metal fell out. It's around 16mm long, 2mm wide and about half a mm thick, and I can't figure out where it came from. I've managed to get the saddle back in place (and at roughly the place where it was before... I think) but I haven't put it back in the guitar because I don't fancy setting it back up only for it to either break or have to be taken out again to refit this piece.

I haven't got any pics atm. My phone's camera is borked and the digital camera I grabbed ran out of batteries before I could get a decent pic.

Anyone know where it might go and/or if it's important?

I can't imagine it is, but I'd rather check first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Lemoninfluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #2467
4FunandProphet

Sounds like a shim. They are used on FR and FR copies to help match the radius of the trem saddles to the radius of the fretboard. It was probably sitting under the saddle. I would put it back just to make the bridge works and the guitar plays properly.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #2468
Lemoninfluence
Masculist

I don't know where it goes. That's part of the problem. The only saddle that's moved at all is the one I took out and eyeballing it, that same saddle is the only one that looks out of line and it's slightly above the natural curve of the others, so I don't see how the shim would help.

I'll just put the trem back on and see if I notice any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Lemoninfluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #2469
4FunandProphet

It's the best suggestion I could give, given the lack of a picture. I used a parts diagram of the bridge to augment my memory and could find nothing that fit that description. A shim is the only other thing I could imagine coming loose when a saddle moved. Hopefully it all works out for you.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #2470
devias15

Hi
My guitar goes out of tune after using the bar even though the bridge comes back to its position. It goes like e,a: -7 , g+14... so if u add everything its balance is around 0. I changed the springs to Schaller and the bridge is parallel to the body (well I checked many spring tensions so it had to be parallel at some point). What can I do ?
devias15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #2471
4FunandProphet

What kind of bridge is it, and what kind of guitar is it on?
Old 02-27-2013, 02:35 AM   #2472
devias15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4FunandProphet
What kind of bridge is it, and what kind of guitar is it on?

ibanez rg 750 with edge
devias15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #2473
4FunandProphet

Remove the strings and check the lock blocks in the bridge for deformation and cracking, and check the knife edges on the bridge and the posts for wear. Replace any parts that appear worn or deformed. Once done with the bridge, check the lock blocks on the nut for grooving, and make sure that the ridges in the center of the locks run parallel to the neck, not perpendicular. Replace any that are grooved beyond surface scratches. If all parts check out, restring the guitar and be sure to stretch the strings thoroughly before locking the nut. Oh, and lubricate the knife edges and posts before reassembly.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #2474
nico_9550
Registred lurker

Whenever I change the srings I have a problem the D string, it always after a while (might be a week or a day) slips out a bit from the bridge causing it to go out of tune, and when I tighten it up it generally slips out completely. I think the lock block might be worn. Anyway, is it possible to swap the entire bridge for one of these http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.uy...jackson-etc-_JM Is this bridge better than the stock one?
The guitar is a Godin Freeway Floyd. What would be easier to do? I need to solve this fast because I need the guitar for a gig on saturday. Thanks

Last edited by nico_9550 : 03-24-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #2475
HowlerMonkey

I sometimes use some solder on the last 1/8 inch of the wound strings to help the clamps get a better "bite" when I run into that issue.

Careful......the solder will "wick" quickly further up the string and cause deadness if you use too much or take too much time with the heat.
HowlerMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #2476
RedDog22

just got my first axe w/ a FR. Lot of useful info here. Thanks madpickin03 & UG
RedDog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #2477
MaaZeus

I have a question. I am considering swapping the floyd and rest of the hardware for purely aesthetic reasons. I want to change all chrome parts to black and black nickel (cosmo black?). The floyd does not get ANY use what so ever, currently its blocked and will stay that way. Is it safe to buy some cheap chinese floyd for it? I'm not worried about it wearing out or breaking, I'm worried how it affects the sound. Same thing with nut.

Also, what is this particular chinese/hongkong floyd? It looks different from all the rest.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Flo...=item51a461c252

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #2478
iiks

Hi all
so i have a little Problem
my guitar Ibanez Rg320FM Amber
6 String makes Buzz noize
how can i lift it a bit up ?
im real newbie to electric guitars , so maybe some photos .. or a video ?

please please help.
iiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #2479
4FunandProphet

If the buzz is only on one string, and especially if it's only on certain frets, then you probably have a fret that's a bit high. Your options are to raise the action till it isn't an issue, or get the frets leveled. I would recommend option 2, as most low to mid range guitars have less than perfect fret jobs and could use some attention to make them perfect. Take it to a luthier and hve him look it over. If the frets are an issue, it shouldn't cost too much to have them leveled and recrowned and the guitar set up.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #2480
johnnykbop

Well lookit me, now I'm a dumb newbie. My Ibanez RG350DX arrived today and I stupidly took off all the string locks at once to restring it, and I'm stuck in a recursive tuning circle as the trem rises higher and higher.

Err.. What do I do now, great tremolo masters?

(In my defense it was a used guitar and there was enough finger gunk on the fretboard to recreate the previous owner)

EDIT: Never mind, I finally got there.

Last edited by johnnykbop : 07-12-2013 at 12:31 PM.
johnnykbop is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: