Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-25-2007, 09:36 PM   #1
MurderWorship
Frustrated Guitarist.

Edge III Tremolo

I've heard both extremes. I've heard it is the best next to the Original Floyd Rose. I've also heard it is horrible. Have any of you used one? How well does it keep the strings in tune with whammy bar use?
MurderWorship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:41 PM   #2
Tensorspencer

Its terrible, the worst of all trems, if somewhere you've heard that it was even NEAR the quality of a original floyd rose then you were gravely misinformed,
Although the ORIGINAL edge pro is very near an original floyd rose in terms of tunning stability and quality, but the edge III is an abomination of metal formed into the shape of a trem to fool you into believing it could keep ANYTHING in tune. Just look at all the posts in this forum from users of cheap or lower end Ibanez guitars that are all equipped with the Edge III, and how they want to cry since they can't even GET the guitar into tune, never mind keep it in tune if you use the whammy bar.
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Tensorspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:43 PM   #3
garden of grey
RIP David Gold

Good; Edge, Edge pro, lo pro, some other Gotoh trems made for ibanez.

Reason for all evil in the world; Edge III and Edge II
Old 06-25-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
bono_b
1 of those sept 04ers'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensorspencer
Its terrible, the worst of all trems, if somewhere you've heard that it was even NEAR the quality of a original floyd rose then you were gravely misinformed,
Although the ORIGINAL edge pro is very near an original floyd rose in terms of tunning stability and quality, but the edge III is an abomination of metal formed into the shape of a trem to fool you into believing it could keep ANYTHING in tune. Just look at all the posts in this forum from users of cheap or lower end Ibanez guitars that are all equipped with the Edge III, and how they want to cry since they can't even GET the guitar into tune, never mind keep it in tune if you use the whammy bar.

that is a bit extreme. you do not even own a edge III and your flamming on it like its rubbish, I own an edge III and it has been in drop C, drop D and standard and stayed in tune pretty well, although not as great as a top of the line floyd rose.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:48 PM   #5
killthekingx

Damnit
killthekingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:48 PM   #6
MurderWorship
Frustrated Guitarist.

Alright then. Would an OFR drop right in or would it require serious adjustments?
MurderWorship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:51 PM   #7
strq010
Banned

always seemed like a good system. see for yourself. its on the JS model and i think some other models. go to the ibanez website and see.
strq010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:52 PM   #8
KissingShadows
Banned

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=572878

Already a thread for this

Also: Refer to picture.
KissingShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:52 PM   #9
chris_libby_88
I are educated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurderWorship
Alright then. Would an OFR drop right in or would it require serious adjustments?

hmm...its probably gonna require some routing. im not 100% positive, but i dout its going to fit in an edge III trem cavity.

Member of the KSE Group http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/kse/
chris_libby_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:53 PM   #10
Tensorspencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_b
that is a bit extreme. you do not even own a edge III and your flamming on it like its rubbish, I own an edge III and it has been in drop C, drop D and standard and stayed in tune pretty well, although not as great as a top of the line floyd rose.

Hahahah I have owned an edge III actually, I don't flame anything unless I can formulate my own personal opinion on it, and personally I've tried many trems and it is the worst I've ever encountered.
ALSO, just look at the multiple posts per day from users who just CANT get their guitar in tune with an Edge III. The odds are stacked against you bro, sorry to burst your bubble. If you lucked out and got one of the Edge III's that stay in tune and can stay in tune after divebombing, then congrats to you!
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Tensorspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:55 PM   #11
Martyr's Prayer
Hates his username.

I own an RG with an Edge Pro III. It was bearable for awhile, but lately its just got worse and worse. And as if the low quality wasn't enough already, some guy I let show me a different stringing technique tightened my lockings nuts down so tight that I stripped the middle one almost completely trying to get it loose. Imagine playing 3 to 4 shows a week with that. And I use the whammy bar a lot.

Its sort of grown into a junky first car kind of thing, if you will. Almost everyone had that POS Ford Fiesta or Geo Metro that barely ran and looked horrible. But they still loved it because they knew what to do to coax it into starting, and they knew when its about to run out of gas even though the gas gauge is missing, and now how to shift past second gear which doesn't work. Like noone else could possibly drive that car, but it's 16 year old owner could and still loved it. Thats my guitar lol. I'm sure you won't believe me, but I'm able to keep it in tune almost the entire set. I just know how to.

Ofcourse I'm gonna replace the trem as soon as I have enough money though lol.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:18 AM   #12
PapaSmurph
I negate you all!

Many people say the Edge Pro's are actaully superior to OFR's
yay for them
PapaSmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:27 AM   #13
Axeman99

I have an Edge III and it stays in tune if you use the right tremelo springs. Usually they come with springs that aren't very good. Having said that I don't use it very much but it sits there and stays in tune fine and works OK for the odd bit of divebombing.

If I used the trem a lot though I'm not sure it would hold up.
Axeman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:38 AM   #14
Guitar0player
UG's derby Spike

Atleast I know that I have spare parts if anything goes wrong.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:40 AM   #15
sethp

to the thread starter.
yes and no, an ofr will SORT OF fit in. the when mounted on the pivot posts, and the tension springs in place, the strings will line up as should. if you get a picture of an ofr, you will see that the baseplate has more to the outside of the right pivot post notch as compared to the outside of the left pivot post notch. this will give the look that the whole tremolo unit will be off center in the routing cavity, which it is, sort of. the base plate will be off center. it will rub against the right side cavity wall and will leave a gap on the left side. but it will work
in addition, the ofr's string locking screws will extend beyond the recess routing on the guitar's body.
if you do this, i wouldn't bother routing out more space in case you ever want to sell it or something.
there is a simple fix for the second issue. you can mount it all up. get your intonation set, measure how far the string locking screws extend beyond the recess cavity. then take them to a hardware store (make sure you bring the string lock-block that it screws into, in order to work the threads back in while you're there).

on the other hand, an edge or edge pro will fit exactly in place with only the issue of the string locking screws.

if you choose to replace your edge III you can pm me and i'll walk you through it.
Attached Images

Last edited by sethp : 06-26-2007 at 09:56 AM.
sethp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:41 AM   #16
Yngwi3
UG's Tone & Grammar Nazi

It is bad.

I have one on my Ibanez- loads of people one here said they crap out after a couple of months, mines lasted quite a while so i thought maybe only a couple of them are poor.
But the bar slides out on reverse divebombs, and it rips up the inside of where it goes until a bit comes out- now the hole is too big for the whammy bar, and it comes out every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Yngwi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:17 AM   #17
fatboythin
needs a Jackson KV2!!

^Exactly the prob i have with my 6 month old Ibanez. Damn it! Otherwise a great guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
fatboythin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 05:41 AM   #18
Minseito

Angry

I've got one on of these on a lower end Ibanez. My problem hasn't been with the trem mechanism as such but with the pivot posts which were so tight that they both scraped when trying to alter the action. That's cost me 25 in spares so far. The trem itself seems reasonable enough, but I don't use it in reverse and that is where quite a few units have the problems. Let's face it guys, you pay lower end, you get lower end.
Minseito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:38 AM   #19
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

the big problem is that people see "edge" and assume all edges are the same, then parrot their newfound "knowledge" around the forums.

this is just not true.

the edge, edge pro and lo-pro edge are good. the edge II and III are not.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:27 PM   #20
THURG

Meh. I've got an Ibanez RG370DX and it doesn't give me any problems...

Except when I tune down to CGCFAD or lower and the whole bridge sinks into the body, so all I can do with it is down-bends. It can only cope in standard, drop D or BADGBE/BEDGBE.

So not great, but not as bad as it's made out to be.
THURG is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: