Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-30-2007, 12:20 PM   #1
admbwr

IBANEZ JEM blueprint

http://www.jemsite.com/jem/origin/jem777_blueprint.jpg

i found this blueprint for an ibanez jem, could anybody tell me if i printed this would it be the right size( doesnt have to be perfect as it will be modded )

i'm planning on making a guitar and i love these type of ibanez bodies(minus the handle cutout)

if i make this guitar, ill buy a neck from ebay or something but make the body myself from mahogany, and put some EMGS onit not sure on the rest of the hardware yey its just an idea for now.

i might print it and make a mockup out of some ****ty wood from my garage first though, plus i could make it a tad bigger on photoshop, the design wont be exactly the same.

so yeah would it be the correct size?

Last edited by admbwr : 06-30-2007 at 12:27 PM.
admbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
tubab0y
old skool user.

looks about right to me, maybe a hair on the small side.

I am Michael!
tubab0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:32 PM   #3
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)

Definitely too small on my computer, but maybe it blows up differently on yours...
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Sid McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:46 PM   #4
mark_wuk
Comfortably Numb

Take the image you have got, load it into photoshop or something similar, and make it 125% bigger. If you measure one of the 135mm lines just under where it says front view, it's only 108mm - increase that by 125% and it measures exactly 135mm - at least on screen, I didn't try it on paper!
mark_wuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:09 PM   #5
Punk_Ninja
Orianthi fanboy.

Mark Wuk seems to have it accurate so I'll say, this will be a cool build, well, it'd probably be easier to find RG dimensions as the JEM has extra parts to worry about (Monkey grip and stuff) but IMO if you had the handle and the vine inlay on a neck this would be even better

Without Deviation from the norm, 'progress' is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Check out my youtube channel:
www.youtube.com/roryrockssocks
Punk_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:16 PM   #6
admbwr

just tried the 125% increase and it came out waaay too big, so ive kept it as 100 and its printing now it looks more of a realistic size now.

and i was trying to go for the RG but i don't really wanna pay for a blueprint cz its my first build.

im going to make a mock up from a cheaper wood next week, just to see how it goes, if it turns out well i will buy some mahogany, could take me a while though as i dont have a job.

its not going to be a 100% copy i just like the shape, i am not going to route it the same as the blueprints because i just want 2 humbuckers, and maybe put a lespaul/SG style bridge in.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:29 PM   #7
mark_wuk
Comfortably Numb

I'd be suprised if the measurements are correct at 100%

Photoshop is pretty good at getting the size on the screen correct...
mark_wuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:00 PM   #8
admbwr

yeah i was surprised too , not unless the guitar is actualy supposed to be huge, ive measured it up roughly against my les paul and it looks good, im not looking for perfection because it will be changed slightly, im jus laminating the cutout for an easier transfer to the wood.

edit: i just measured the pickups on my guitar against the size of the slots on the template, and theyre exactly the same size, so it must be right at 100% i know it looks alot smaller on the screen though.

Last edited by admbwr : 06-30-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:45 AM   #9
admbwr

i'm trying to get an ibanez neck from somewhere at the moment once thats secure it should drive me to buy the wood, ill keep images posting and stuff,

EDIT:

im aiming for this look at the end of it, but not 7 string and maybe a super custom fret board.

what do people think of this idea?

Last edited by admbwr : 07-01-2007 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:02 AM   #10
Rajzilla

I just might steal it
Rajzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:42 AM   #11
E=MC˛

Thing with that Jem blueprint is it's using the old neck design, you really want to use a blueprint for the AANJ neck design.
As for printing it out you need to make sure that the printed blueprint shows the guitar as 451.7mm in length, if that is correct then the guitar blueprint printed to scale. I've not been able to try it but I think Mark was close in what he was saying
E=MC˛ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:11 AM   #12
admbwr

yeah im going to cut the neck part out when i get the neck, and cut it to the measurements of the neck i buy so it fits nicely.

and yes the printout its very near to 451.7, not measured it presicely yet though.

edit:
it measures roughly 445mm from the back to the top horn.

im happy with the shape an size anyway though so it doesnt really matter

Last edited by admbwr : 07-08-2007 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:13 AM   #13
E=MC˛

@admbwr
The problem you will face is that the body is almost 6mm too short, although this may seem little at this point it will become a major issue when you come to completing the project. If you are going to use a standard Ibanez Wizard II neck on the body it will be the wrong length and therefore you'll not get the correct intonation while setting up the finished guitar.
You will need to make a few measurements during the course of building your guitar, one of these measurements will be the scale length (distance from the nut to the bridge), this on the ibanez guitars with 24 frets is 648mm or 25.5", if you have your body 6mm too short you will loose the scale length set out for the Ibanez neck, making it almost impossible to tune the guitar.
If you are going to build it short you would probably have to build a neck to match the body I would of thought. I do have a design here someplace for the outline of a RG/Jem body using an AANJ neck system I'll see if I can find it out as that is an Illustrator design and will print to scale
Old 07-08-2007, 01:43 PM   #14
admbwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by E=MC˛
I do have a design here someplace for the outline of a RG/Jem body using an AANJ neck system I'll see if I can find it out as that is an Illustrator design and will print to scale

that would be exellent thankyou and thanks for your help i could have made an awful mistake.

i have sorted the problem on photoshop. i croped around the measurement lines of the body. and changed the height to 451.7mm the width has also changed to EDIT:311.15 is that the right width ?

Last edited by admbwr : 07-08-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:00 PM   #15
admbwr

printing now its only 0.02 mm smaller but i highly doubt that will make a difference.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:30 PM   #16
E=MC˛

Quote:
Originally Posted by admbwr
changed the height to 451.7mm the width has also changed to EDIT:311.15 is that the right width ?

Width should be 310.06 but 311.15 is no issue, just make sure that the neck joint is correct when you are actually cutting out, you don't want the neck loose fitting :-)
But 0.02 is no issue as this sort of difference will be in the tolerance range I'd of thought, besides that you can adjust so much on the trem anyway, if you need to ask anything just fire away, I made a Jem replica not so long ago out of interest mostly that is why I have a blueprint someplace, I will continue to look for it as I say because it is for the AANJ neck system and that is the standard Ibanez use these days so dropping in a neck will be no problems then.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:03 PM   #17
admbwr

Quote:
Width should be 310.06 but 311.15 is no issue, just make sure that the neck joint is correct when you are actually cutting out, you don't want the neck loose fitting :-).
it should measure up at about 310 when i cut the template out because the measuring lines in the image werent perfectly straight because the image was tilting slightly.
Quote:
But 0.02 is no issue as this sort of difference will be in the tolerance range I'd of thought, besides that you can adjust so much on the trem anyway
its going to be hardtail but i figured i could put the bridge in 0.02 mm back so the distance between the nut and bridge would be at absolutly perfect distance.
Quote:
if you need to ask anything just fire away, I made a Jem replica not so long ago out of interest mostly that is why I have a blueprint someplace, I will continue to look for it as I say because it is for the AANJ neck system and that is the standard Ibanez use these days so dropping in a neck will be no problems then.
thanks for all the help i would of seriously made a mess of this if you hadnt of brought this thread back, did you make a build thread for your jem ?
if you did could you link please ?

Last edited by admbwr : 07-08-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:15 PM   #18
E=MC˛

Quote:
Originally Posted by admbwr
did you make a build thread for your jem ?
if you did could you link please ?

Sadly no I didn't, then again I've only just found this forum, I was generally just hanging around the Jemsite and Ibanez forums until now, I may have some progress photographs lurking as I did take a few but usually forgot in the excitement of building!
Old 07-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #19
Davers440

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/heal.htm Converting an original neck joint heal to a Jem Style neck heal
Davers440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #20
E=MC˛

As you can see, the neck was not all that slimline :-)

Rate This Thread: