Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #41
f20k

The Kinks are definitley underrated I think. The only song a lot of people know is "You Really Got Me"...
f20k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:57 PM   #42
big geordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paved
Definitely definitely Love.

great band just bought the dvd of forever changes absolutely brilliant,and of course the band Ichampion all the time on this forum Free to me the best band in the world ever.
big geordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:32 PM   #43
European Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAH BABY!
The Velvet Underground

Well, yes... The Velvet Underground are one of my favourite bands. They're underrated, but it's gotten a lot better with garage revival and stuff. More and more bands mention them in interviews and so, so it has gotten a lot better over the last 10 years. It was rejected in the 60's because it was "nihilistic". The Velvet Underground & Nico which, arguably, is the best and most influetial album of the past 50 years only sold barely 300 000 records. So, they were definitely underrated in the 60's. But like I said, it has gotten better.

Another and that comes to my mind is Television. Perhaps not as groundbreaking or influential as VU, but definitely worth mentioning. Everybody should check out their debut, Marquee Moon. It's brilliant, genius.

EDIT: Oh, and 13th Floor Elevators. One of the first psychadelic rock bands. Sooo underrated.

Last edited by European Son : 07-09-2007 at 07:14 PM.
European Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:32 PM   #44
jackson-rocker
waazzzuup

The first band that came to my mind was the Guess Who. They really are a good band and had some good hits like American Women but of everyone who hears Lenny Kravits version no one thinks of the Guess Who. Some other bands have already been mentioned but i'll say them again like BTO, The Kinks, and also the James Gang
Epiphone DR-100

Fender Frontman 15w
Marshall MG50DFX
jackson-rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:23 PM   #45
Joszan7

Blackfoot
The Guess Who
Old 07-10-2007, 12:01 AM   #46
ufossuck
Delighfully twisted

I take it not many of you are Canadian. The Guess Who are ****in' huge! The new Bachman-Cummings album is getting one hell of a lot of airplay.

And to add a few that probably haven't been mentioned, Arlo Guthrie, Donovan, Otis Redding, Booker T. and the MGs, Chilliwack, J.J. Cale, The Mamas and the Papas, Billy Preston and The Fabulous Thunderbirds.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:45 AM   #47
therussian
For the Motherland

Otis Redding? Underrated? I don't know about that.....
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
therussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:57 AM   #48
big geordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joszan7
Blackfoot
The Guess Who

saw blackfoot in the eighties at the newcastle mayfair they were a great band, they were on with rose tattoo (ac/dc wannabees)
big geordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:16 AM   #49
Avopeac
Banned

wait...has anyone said the zombies? or Loudon Wainwright III?
Avopeac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:06 AM   #50
xX*Zeppelin*Xx
jamming econo

The Kinks
Bert Jansch
Nick Drake
Big Star
The 13th Floor Elevators
Television
The Penguin Cafe Orchestra
Gene Clark
Tim Buckley
Roy Harper
Love
xX*Zeppelin*Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:28 AM   #51
jcthomasva
UG Fanatic

Location: Can't a brotha get some sweet tea up in this hizzay?
The Band.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #52
johnnyvaughan

Thin Lizzy (although they finally are starting to get some appreciation)
johnnyvaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:47 AM   #53
Doolittle
:liplick:

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Son
Well, yes... The Velvet Underground are one of my favourite bands. They're underrated, but it's gotten a lot better with garage revival and stuff. More and more bands mention them in interviews and so, so it has gotten a lot better over the last 10 years. It was rejected in the 60's because it was "nihilistic". The Velvet Underground & Nico which, arguably, is the best and most influetial album of the past 50 years only sold barely 300 000 records. So, they were definitely underrated in the 60's. But like I said, it has gotten better.

Another and that comes to my mind is Television. Perhaps not as groundbreaking or influential as VU, but definitely worth mentioning. Everybody should check out their debut, Marquee Moon. It's brilliant, genius.

EDIT: Oh, and 13th Floor Elevators. One of the first psychadelic rock bands. Sooo underrated.

you know it.

and i'll say T.Rex

Doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:18 PM   #54
bass1991guitar
HAHA!

Status Quo, The Rubettes, Four Seasons.
bass1991guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:49 PM   #55
European Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolittle
you know it.

Of course I do.
European Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:41 AM   #56
FreeManson15

13th floor elevators....im not sure if their underrated or not but they werent super huge so...
FreeManson15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:34 AM   #57
Small Print
Lift Your Skinny Fists!

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Son

I adore them! I really don't know why they are labeled as punk though, they are hardly punk musicians, they are far more talented and don't do your usual punk songs.

I would also like to mention The Zombies, their most known album, Odessey & Oracle is my third favourite sixties album behind Revolver and Abbey Road. That album is incredible, and a lot of I know who are even in to sixties music have no clue who they are. They deserve a lot more recognition.

I also don't think Syd Barrett and early Pink Floyd get enough recognition. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn again, is an album that I love, and not that many other people know, but loads of people know Dark Side of the Moon etc.

Public Image Ltd., John Lydon's other project, in my opinion, were far, far better than The Sex Pistols.
Small Print is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:58 AM   #58
Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Print
I adore them! I really don't know why they are labeled as punk though, they are hardly punk musicians, they are far more talented and don't do your usual punk songs.

I second that. More refined and melodical than many other proto-punk outfits! I'd also recommend their second album titled Adventure as well as Tom Verlaine's solo projects, for instance, Flash Light.

Last edited by Realist : 07-12-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:01 AM   #59
Small Print
Lift Your Skinny Fists!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist
I second that. More refined and melodical than many other post-punk outfits! I'd also recommend their second album titled Adventure as well as Tom Verlaine's solo projects, for instance, Flash Light.

I'd love to, but around here, there isn't any record shops and I can't find it in HMV, and I've got no way of buying off the internet (no credit or bank card). I'm having the same problem with Neutral Milk Hotel's albums aswell, I've heard a few of their songs and I want the album. But that's for another thread.
Small Print is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:25 AM   #60
Realist

I hope you'll dig them out as it happens The good news is that there are people that appreciate them
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: