Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Alternative & Indie
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-05-2008, 03:15 PM   #41
jallas
dying is fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewbiles
He's apparently going to be over here again in September.

Anyone know what's going on with the Uk vinyl version of 'Heretic pride'? Can't find it at all and would rather not over-spend on importing it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heretic-Pri...04744476&sr=8-2

14... i've never bought a vinyl in my life (except a Madness album from Oxfam for a quid), is that expensive?
jallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:45 PM   #42
Andrewbiles

^ Cheers.
14 is relatively expensive, usually around 10/11 for a new record and 15/16 for a new double LP. Depends where you buy it from I guess, got to shop around for this stuff.

Just noticed it says 6-8 days on amazon, usually means that it's out but they haven't had any. Might use the marketplace though, just would cost a little less if it wasn't an import as the're about 7 from places like insound, but then the postage is roughly the same.
Emailed Norman Records about it earlier and they've gone to ask their distro for me Appears there is a slight delay unfortunately.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Andrewbiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:41 PM   #43
Bmm386
no mood, no soul.

I just got Heretic Pride.
Me likey.
Bmm386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:08 PM   #44
LoneWanderer13

I saw them in concert thursday and they were amazingly good. By far the best concert I've been to. Anywho, thanks to the amazing concert I'm on a big mountain goats kick and want to familiarize myself with some new albums. Cds I already know very well:

We Shall All Be Healed
Tallahassee
Get Lonely
Sunset Tree
Sweden
The Coroner's Gambit
Babylon Springs EP
All Hail West Texas
Heretic Pride

Pretty much every single one of those albums has at some point been my favorite mountain goats album, as it changes by the mood I'm in. Which album should I give a whole bunch of listens to next? Anyone's favorite not on that list?
LoneWanderer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:30 PM   #45
jallas
dying is fine

hmm, i can't help you with picking a favourite because i only have heretic pride at the mo, but could you recommend a good next one for me to get? i have had heretic pride only a couple of weeks and it's already racked up hundreds of listens on my ipod, i absolutely adore it.by the sounds of what people are saying, every single album seems great, but um, so which should i get next?
Old 03-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #46
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

try The Sunset Tree.
uhh_me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:50 PM   #47
jallas
dying is fine

okay, i might buy it now. thanks.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:38 PM   #48
LoneWanderer13

It really depends on whether you want to introduce yourself to the "lo-fi" mountain goats, or whether you really like the polished sound of the studio albums and want to hear more of it. If the former, go for all hail west texas. If the latter...I would say Tallahassee...but only because it was the first album of theirs I heard and I loved it. Lately I've been liking We Shall All Be Healed more though. The Sunset tree is quite good as well though, so you can't really go wrong. I would caution against Get Lonely unless you are feeling in the mood for a softer more personal album. At times Get Lonely is exactly what I need to listen to, but at other times theres no way it's what I need. A lot of people flat out dislike Get Lonely, but I think its a great album provided you're in the mood for it.

So um...depends?

I guess a test would be to listen to This Year, No Children and Letter from Belgium and see which one you think is the best. Then get whichever album that song is on. Course, I think this puts We Shall All Be Healed at a disadvantage as while I think it's the best overall album, it doesn't have as big of a standout song. In any case, all three are great albums (heck, every album of his seems to be great...at least the one's I've heard so far) so I wouldn't stress to much about making a choice. Just make sure in the end you get all of them.

Anywho...anyone wanna recommend me a next album to listen to?
LoneWanderer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:46 PM   #49
sre9981
Woo!

I second what LoneWanderer13 said, except to include the ultra-lo-fi Zopilote Machine (listen to Going to Georgia), and substituting Home Again Garden Grove or Palmcorder Yanja for Letter from Belgium on We Shall All Be Healed

All Hail West Texas is a very good album too, Best Ever Death Metal Band Out of Denton is one of my favs.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:47 PM   #50
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

you should pick up Ghana or Zopilote Machine
uhh_me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #51
jallas
dying is fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWanderer13
It really depends on whether you want to introduce yourself to the "lo-fi" mountain goats, or whether you really like the polished sound of the studio albums and want to hear more of it. If the former, go for all hail west texas. If the latter...I would say Tallahassee...but only because it was the first album of theirs I heard and I loved it. Lately I've been liking We Shall All Be Healed more though. The Sunset tree is quite good as well though, so you can't really go wrong. I would caution against Get Lonely unless you are feeling in the mood for a softer more personal album. At times Get Lonely is exactly what I need to listen to, but at other times theres no way it's what I need. A lot of people flat out dislike Get Lonely, but I think its a great album provided you're in the mood for it.

So um...depends?

I guess a test would be to listen to This Year, No Children and Letter from Belgium and see which one you think is the best. Then get whichever album that song is on. Course, I think this puts We Shall All Be Healed at a disadvantage as while I think it's the best overall album, it doesn't have as big of a standout song. In any case, all three are great albums (heck, every album of his seems to be great...at least the one's I've heard so far) so I wouldn't stress to much about making a choice. Just make sure in the end you get all of them.

Anywho...anyone wanna recommend me a next album to listen to?

that was really helpful, thanks a lot

i actually did hear This Year, someone put it on a mix CD for me a few weeks ago. this was my first Mountain Goats song, and then this same person prompted me to buy Heretic Pride.

so This Year is on The Sunset Tree. it's sitting on my wishlist on amazon (i need an order over 15 to get free delivery), but it's out of stock currently anyway ;_;

i added Tallahassee too. i'm open to allsorts of music. and i got money to spend on them so yeah. i think i'll buy those two, once they come back in stock. even on play.com they're out of stock. i guess i can check more out on youtube in the meantime i don't download, i ike to buy CDs

thanks again for the post, was helpful
Old 03-15-2008, 07:28 PM   #52
sre9981
Woo!

I suggest picking up We Shall All Be Healed instead of Tallahassee, but that's just my personal opinion. I just don't like Tallahassee, except for No Children live.

Palmcorder Yanja was my first TMG song I ever heard, still awesome. As is Home Again Garden Grove, Letters from Belgium, Pigs That Ran Straightaway Into the Water, Triumph Of... Hell the whole album's great
Old 03-15-2008, 08:16 PM   #53
Andrewbiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallas
that was really helpful, thanks a lot

i actually did hear This Year, someone put it on a mix CD for me a few weeks ago. this was my first Mountain Goats song, and then this same person prompted me to buy Heretic Pride.

so This Year is on The Sunset Tree. it's sitting on my wishlist on amazon (i need an order over 15 to get free delivery), but it's out of stock currently anyway ;_;

i added Tallahassee too. i'm open to allsorts of music. and i got money to spend on them so yeah. i think i'll buy those two, once they come back in stock. even on play.com they're out of stock. i guess i can check more out on youtube in the meantime i don't download, i ike to buy CDs

thanks again for the post, was helpful

I'd recommend avoiding 'Get lonely' (although I can't compare it to 'Heretic pride' yet to say whether or not you'd enjoy it), but if you work your way back from 'The sunset tree' you won't be doing any harm. The last few are really accessible, earlier ones are a bit harder at first but do have give great satisfaction.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Old 03-15-2008, 08:25 PM   #54
jallas
dying is fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sre9981
I suggest picking up We Shall All Be Healed instead of Tallahassee, but that's just my personal opinion. I just don't like Tallahassee, except for No Children live.

Palmcorder Yanja was my first TMG song I ever heard, still awesome. As is Home Again Garden Grove, Letters from Belgium, Pigs That Ran Straightaway Into the Water, Triumph Of... Hell the whole album's great

okay cool, i'll get We Shall All Be Healed. both that and The Sunset Tree are out of stock everywhere though ;_; i could buy on itunes but i like having cds

ooh no wait i found them on sisterray, minto. i'll order them in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewbiles
I'd recommend avoiding 'Get lonely' (although I can't compare it to 'Heretic pride' yet to say whether or not you'd enjoy it), but if you work your way back from 'The sunset tree' you won't be doing any harm. The last few are really accessible, earlier ones are a bit harder at first but do have give great satisfaction.

i'll remember that, thanks. ooh you should listen to heretic pride andrew. okay so i dunno really much about TMG but i think it's fantastic. a lot of reviews seem to be saying it's not much compared to other albums of theirs (which is pretty mcuh why i'm keen on hearing some more of their stuff!), but yeah i think it's amazing. really lovely songs.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:33 PM   #55
Andrewbiles

^ I most certainly will in time. Was thinking of importing a few vinyl copies from the States to try and cut down postage but know as soon as I do they'll appear over here and for the same price, so its a bit of a catch 22.

RateYourMusic
Old 03-25-2008, 10:53 PM   #56
alaub1491
The Rouge Keyboardist

i saw them two or three nights ago. i was right up front. it was the last show on the tour since john is sick and he canceled the australian branch.

it was ****ing amazing.

alaub1491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:19 PM   #57
slinks
Bastard in a Basket

I finally got myself a copy of Tallahassee. Not really sure what took me so long; I've been a fan of theirs for awhile.
slinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #58
jallas
dying is fine

i ordered sunset tree and tallahassee last week. they better come before saturday or i won't hear them for 2 months

in other news:

http://www.ada-music.com/modules/se...rch&cat=artistt
Old 04-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #59
Fugazirancid
playin' contract bridge

the sunset tree is quickly becoming one of my favorite albums ever.

last.fm
Fugazirancid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:29 PM   #60
Andrewbiles

Finally!
Been waiting for this for months, thankfully today a vinyl copy of 'Heretic Pride' appeared in my hands. Vast improvement on 'Get lonely', he seems back on form with this one.

RateYourMusic

Rate This Thread: