User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-04-2007, 11:59 AM   #21
Osiris77
Six String Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by krims0n
I believe PrideFC is basically dead as it was bought out by the UFC. Hence the fighters slowly trickling into the octagon. Too bad because the kicking rule was awesome, but at least it will lead to a more diverse UFC.

I believe Fedor will be signing with the UFC soon and fighting Couture to unify the belts but that's rumor at this point. (albeit rumor from the mouth of Dana White).

Couture vs. Fedor sounds like a great fight I can't wait to see that.
Osiris77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:04 PM   #22
Osiris77
Six String Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadj
I've never really watched any MMA yet but i've heard i really should

Just curious after being a wrestling fan, Brock Lesnar done this for a while correct?

Yeah, right now he's only had one fight in K-1 which he won. But shortly after he talked to Dana White(UFC President) and he should be on the roster in 2008. So we'll see how he fares he's definetely strong and a great wrestle he had a college wrestling record or 105-6 but I just don't know if he can stand up strike.....
Osiris77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:10 PM   #23
Dirk Gently
Exorcising my angels

I love MMA. I've been doing BJJ for the last few years off and on. As far as the Pride v. UFC thing, I think the UFC is showing that Pride wasn't nearly as good as people thought (Rua losing to a "nobody," Cro-Cop losing 2 consecutive fights, one to a guy considered one of the weakest UFC heavyweights, Heath Herring getting owned in his debut fight, etc.), and now there are a lot of allegations being flung about that Pride fixed fights, or did things that would come as close to fixing without actually determining the winner before the fight -- making fighters fight injured, allowing substances banned in the US, etc.

As for soccer kicks, one of the reasons they're not allowed in the UFC is that they're almost impossible to defend against if you're against the cage. Also, I don't watch MMA because of the mindless brutality. I watch it to appreciate the skill of the fighters and the quality of the contest. Allowing a standing guy to kick to the head of the downed opponent is just brutal.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:10 PM   #24
im_hungry
UG Board King

I reckon Lesnar will do well.

http://www.ifl.tv/News-07Sep28-Angl...IFL-Finals.html

lol Angle in IFl.
im_hungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:50 PM   #25
Cacophonic
Your Arch Enemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Gently
I love MMA. I've been doing BJJ for the last few years off and on. As far as the Pride v. UFC thing, I think the UFC is showing that Pride wasn't nearly as good as people thought (Rua losing to a "nobody," Cro-Cop losing 2 consecutive fights, one to a guy considered one of the weakest UFC heavyweights, Heath Herring getting owned in his debut fight, etc.), and now there are a lot of allegations being flung about that Pride fixed fights, or did things that would come as close to fixing without actually determining the winner before the fight -- making fighters fight injured, allowing substances banned in the US, etc.

As for soccer kicks, one of the reasons they're not allowed in the UFC is that they're almost impossible to defend against if you're against the cage. Also, I don't watch MMA because of the mindless brutality. I watch it to appreciate the skill of the fighters and the quality of the contest. Allowing a standing guy to kick to the head of the downed opponent is just brutal.

You kinda just sound like a biased UFC fan.
The referees in Pride were outstanding.
They wouldn't allow a fighter to be harmed from the kicks to the head.
Of course, by saying you appreciate the skill, you most likely either, A. Aren't American, or B. You're telling the truth.

Herring always has sucked. He lost it after Fedor beat his face in. Cro-Cop couldn't use steroids in the UFC, thus why he failed. And Rua was a huge disappointment. Even though, Renato Sobral choked him out pre-PrideFC.

I think they should have the fighters decide on whether they should allow the kicks and knees to the head. Especially when they're in Japan.

Also, tbh, I hate the Fertitti brothers.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:51 PM   #26
Cacophonic
Your Arch Enemy

Oh, and also..

Fedor is fighting in Bodog again.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:03 PM   #27
Dirk Gently
Exorcising my angels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacophonic
The referees in Pride were outstanding.

I'm not a biased UFC fan at all. I used to think that Pride was so much better than the UFC in most weight classes and the usual mythology. But when Pride guys come to the UFC and aren't nearly as dominant against guys who are UFC no-names or contenders rather than champions and they don't have that great a record, it makes you question the true quality of the fights they were getting in Japan.
Quote:
Of course, by saying you appreciate the skill, you most likely either, A. Aren't American, or B. You're telling the truth.

Well, I'm an American and a practitioner of the sport. One of the reasons I chose Gracie Jiu Jitsu as opposed to a more striking-oriented style is because I love the technique.
Quote:
Herring always has sucked. He lost it after Fedor beat his face in. Cro-Cop couldn't use steroids in the UFC, thus why he failed. And Rua was a huge disappointment. Even though, Renato Sobral choked him out pre-PrideFC.

I think they should have the fighters decide on whether they should allow the kicks and knees to the head. Especially when they're in Japan.

Also, tbh, I hate the Fertitti brothers.

Interesting that you bring up Babalu. He's been terribly mediocre in the UFC.

Also, Fedor hasn't signed anything long-term with Bodog. He's still a free agent.

Last edited by Dirk Gently : 10-04-2007 at 02:12 PM.
Dirk Gently is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:13 PM   #28
musicianamedave
UG's Hidden Track

MMA's pretty cool, but I think it would be a lot better if they either

A: went 100% bare-knuckle
or
B: changed those thick-ass gloves into something that have much less give.

mainly because my fighting style relies more on strong quick punches (with emphasis on Taijutsu-style punches in which knuckle contact+torsion is of utmost importance) in combination with deflection/locks.

<//////>~
musicianamedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:43 PM   #29
krims0n
[K!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicianamedave
MMA's pretty cool, but I think it would be a lot better if they either

A: went 100% bare-knuckle
or
B: changed those thick-ass gloves into something that have much less give.

mainly because my fighting style relies more on strong quick punches (with emphasis on Taijutsu-style punches in which knuckle contact+torsion is of utmost importance) in combination with deflection/locks.

They went bare knuckled in the early days but everyone was breaking their hands. The gloves are their so they can punch harder and fight again 2 month's later. Really the gloves are more of a detriment to the jiu-jitsu fighters then the strikers because it makes rear naked chokes much harder.

Traynor YCV50-Blue
Toneport GX / Ampltube 2
krims0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:48 PM   #30
im_hungry
UG Board King

Pride didn't test for steroids , thats why most of their fighters are losing in the UFC.

Also i prefer the cage to the ring.
im_hungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:51 PM   #31
BigFatSandwich
occasional poster

so, eh... anybody else get to see anderson silva knock rich franklin into bolivian?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:57 PM   #32
Neon Knight

I'm an MMA fanatic

my favorite fighters are

Heavyweight

FEDOR!!!! Did anyone here see his new years eve fight? It was pretty entertaining. However I think Fedor has failed to fight any good fighters as of late, M-1 needs to sign Randy and make the fight happen.
Randy Couture
Cro Cop: He's been off his game as of late

Light Heavyweight

Its a tie between Shogun and Wandy for fav
Rampage comes in second

Middleweight:

Anderson Silva

Welterweight

GSP

Lightweight

BJ Penn
Spencer Fisher
Krazy Horse
Old 01-03-2008, 09:06 PM   #33
BigFatSandwich
occasional poster

^krazy Horse?!
Old 01-03-2008, 09:25 PM   #34
Neon Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatSandwich
^krazy Horse?!

Thats right, Charles "Krazy Horse" Bennett
Old 01-04-2008, 12:38 AM   #35
BigFatSandwich
occasional poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Knight
Thats right, Charles "Krazy Horse" Bennett

haha no, I know exactly who he is.

I'm just curious as to why he's one of your favorites. he sucks, imo. and nine times out of ten, he's just not funny... which is what he tries so hard to do.

(and I mean that in the friendliest way possible. not trying to start any real arguments... it's good to see another mma fan on UG)
Old 01-04-2008, 03:25 AM   #36
sinisa
UG's Serbo-Croat

I was a big fan of Pride. I didn't care about the 'roid use (christ look at early days crocop compared to his Pride days - he gained at least 15kg hard muscle). Good, vicious fighting on par at least with Vale Tudo but commercial enough to be ready viable to watch through the interwebs.

UFC is too.... american i'm sorry, but it just has less forceful contact than Pride. In a typical fight it's some striker vs. a former wrestler and after 30 seconds of circling the wrestler takes the other guy to ground and they manhandle each other until the time runs out or the ref breaks them up. i'm sorry, but it's BORING. I just don't like wrestling. I tried it for a while (under 63kg Auckland Novice Champion oh yea) but it was just boring. It manages to be more sissy than jiu-jitsu or judo but 50 times more homo-erotic.

Also, i generally don't like UFC fighters. Not just that they're dominantly ground fighters (which i don't like as much as fighting standing up) but they're cocky motheruckers. Always trash talking on the promos, big egos. I just can't relate to, or stand, any of that.

/rant

Favourite fighters:
Crocop (lives in my hometown - Zagreb :p)
Wanderlei Silva
Antoinio Rodrigo Nougeira (Minotaur) - seriously that fight against Bob Sapp. Seriously.
Ernesto Hoost
Carlos Newton
Jerome LeBanner
Mark Kerr

Not so much a fan of watching Fedor but i still respect his all-round ability and spirit.

My 2c.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbest
That is part of the reason that the mafia does so much drug trafficing, its so they wont die of hunger because they dont have anything.
sinisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:37 AM   #37
Esp_kill07
UG's Indie Christian

hmm fav fighters

Randy Couture and Fedor both are 1# for me in the heavyweight div
man It would be awesome if they got a fight between them

GSP is cool because that guy is humble win or lose.

Roger Huerta - Because im mexican and he always gives an exciting fight check out his last fight with clay guida. viva mexico!
Old 01-04-2008, 03:42 AM   #38
Civeta Dei0
Civeta

I've been doing MMA for about the last 3 months now and nothing works your body out any better then the sort of training you go through. My favorite fighter is Chuck Liddel though, hands down. Tito Ortiz and Keith Jardone are the other two fighters I like alot.
Civeta Dei0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:28 AM   #39
faqu
Potato Chips rule!

Anyone seen UFC 79?

boy, Do Pride fighters just can't catch a break or what?

That Clamenty vs Gillard fight was hilarious! all that grudge between them just made it more intresting.
sinisa, as far as the cocky, and trash talking thing, it's all good publicity. it sells the product more. if you notice, at the press confrence they're in each other's face, and ready to go, but after the fight, they hug. it's just the way it is, and it's good buisness.
I heard that sometimes Dana even tells them to do so, because it selle better.

Soko is another guy I expected big things from. Machida pretty much destroyed him.
It just goes to show you that he's nothing without his fists. when they were on the ground, he had NO freaking clue what to do. he was just lying there, doing nothing. it was sort of sad. btw, I'm expecting great things from Machida. this will be his year. he will become one of the top fighters, and the new poster boy for the company.

Silva vs Liddel was awesome. Liddel looked very tired, but he still destroyed Silva. at times it looked like Silva didnt know where he was, he just threw punches in the air. it was a good fight.

GSP vs Hughes was entertaining. GSP is great.
I think I'm gonna skip UFC 80, and watch UFC 81. looking forward to the return of Frank Mir vs Brock Lesnar. can't wait to see what Brock brings to the table. he's a great wrestler.

UG Profile
faqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:31 AM   #40
Civeta Dei0
Civeta

I was suprised to see that Pierres beat Hughes. I've watched the whole season of the ultimate fighter 3 with matt hughes in it and he looked like an unstoppable force, the guy has been doing MMA for less then 3 years and he still seems to improve everyday. I'm not suprised to Liddel beat Silva. Liddel is the man. I'm likewise very excited to see Lesnar compete in the MMA. I was a fan of his when he did WWE wrestling, and he's an all american wrestler which makes him an even better fighter.
Civeta Dei0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: