Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-06-2008, 05:50 PM   #61
DeadIdentity81
MetalRob
 
DeadIdentity81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: pa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boucho
alright enough of the fedor nut hugging, im not saying hes a **** fighter, the dude is ****ign amazing no doubt, but how can you say he would destroy couture? honestly couture is on a roll, hes determined and hes looking for that final win over fedor, hes done everything that he feels he had left to do in this sport except fight the number 1 heavyweight and when this goes down i think its gunna be one of the most intense bouts weve ever seen. Fedor and couture will both come out guns blazing it will be amazing.

and to the dude who said fedor didnt come here cause of the money you dont know ****, fedor could care less about money he was being offered huge amounts anyways, he didnt sign because dana white wanted to control every little thing he did, and he wouldnt let him compete in sambo competitions in russia which is his countries national sport. Sometimes things mean more to people then money, also ufc wouldnt let him fight in russia and he just wanted to have a couple shows in russia, so theres more to it then most people think, do some research.


i dont know **** haha followed this sport for over 10 yrs and i think i know my share of what im talking about.. Fedor and even Dana White has said money is the main reason and look what its doin to Randy.

Fedor would be stupid to come over here just to fight one person. Thats another issue because hes not goin to fight the who's who of MMA hes already done that.

Its always about the money in the end in everything.
__________________
The most talented man on earth...
DeadIdentity81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:02 PM   #62
BigFatSandwich
occasional poster
 
BigFatSandwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hockessin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boucho
alright enough of the fedor nut hugging, im not saying hes a **** fighter, the dude is ****ign amazing no doubt, but how can you say he would destroy couture? honestly couture is on a roll, hes determined and hes looking for that final win over fedor, hes done everything that he feels he had left to do in this sport except fight the number 1 heavyweight and when this goes down i think its gunna be one of the most intense bouts weve ever seen. Fedor and couture will both come out guns blazing it will be amazing.

and to the dude who said fedor didnt come here cause of the money you dont know ****, fedor could care less about money he was being offered huge amounts anyways, he didnt sign because dana white wanted to control every little thing he did, and he wouldnt let him compete in sambo competitions in russia which is his countries national sport. Sometimes things mean more to people then money, also ufc wouldnt let him fight in russia and he just wanted to have a couple shows in russia, so theres more to it then most people think, do some research.

****. what is it with MMA fans and the word "nuthugging"? ****'s annoying. stop it.
__________________
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
BigFatSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:50 PM   #63
STOJDub
Aprentice shredder,kinda
 
STOJDub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lancaster,ca
Anyone know who won that Jardein(SP?)VS Lidell fight?I can't seem to find out of even find the video.

I'm a big Ken Shamrock fan,even though he got old and put into retirement.
STOJDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:53 PM   #64
DeadIdentity81
MetalRob
 
DeadIdentity81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: pa
Jardine won he dominated that fight.. Its all over youtube or google it
__________________
The most talented man on earth...
DeadIdentity81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:58 PM   #65
STOJDub
Aprentice shredder,kinda
 
STOJDub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lancaster,ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadIdentity81
Jardine won he dominated that fight.. Its all over youtube or google it


Damn,I checked allover you tube and even tried google and couldnt find it befor.I just watched a Jardine fight last night where this black dude with a **** load of back tats beat Jardine down 48 seconds into the fight.I love quick knockouts.
STOJDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:07 PM   #66
sinisa
UG's Serbo-Croat
 
sinisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: new zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatSandwich
I'm going to have to disagree with you there.

Here's a short list of things that have hurt boxing:
Putting all the really big fights on PPV
Showing WAY too many PPVs each month
Charging ridiculous amounts of money for the PPV
Having only one meaningful fight on that PPV and like three fights with no-name guys with 0-2 records.
Having so many champions at each weight that people can't even follow what's going on anymore

So yes, the desire to make money has hurt boxing a lot. However, commercialism is essential. MMA didn't explode in popularity here in the united states until TUF season 1 and PRIDE is dead now because their shady business deals led to them losing their TV deal over in Japan. This commercialization of MMA is exactly what fighters in America needed. Now these guys can make a career out of fighting. Sure there's gonna be fat heads like Dana White making more money than the fighters do without ever even having to step into a ring or cage, but that's just the way things are. But if you're a good enough fighter in the US these days, you stand a good chance of making a decent living (UFC, WEC, Elite XC, IFL).

But if fighters don't want to be a "product" of "fat white men in suits" then they don't have to fight in any of these US orgs. What's stopping them from fighting in Shooto or K1? They can go over there and be the product of fat asian men in suits. Either way, if they want to make enough money to live and train full time, they're going to have to be a product of someone somewhere.


Before PPV and boxing being owned by the Corporation it was a very shady sport. Mafia/gangster links were everywhere. Everywhere. That was cleaned up in the 50's after Liston but what replaced it was the mafia-style tactics of the Corporation. Sure they're probably not as ruthless and don't sell crack, but they economically dominate and therefore exploit the sport. Except this is perfectly legal. Capitalism and free-market and all that.

The reason there are so many ridiculously priced, worthless PPV's is because some economist studying TV ratings found the perfect correlation between price and the amount of viewers that will watch, in order to maximise profit. Explanation: if you make it more expensive, fewer people will watch. At some point there is an optimum price that will gross the most profit. There are more variables (quality of fight, promotion etc.) but that's the gist of it.

It's a f*cking science. No, can that, it's called a Bachelor of Commerce. *shudders*.

My overall point is that if the commercialisation of the various MMA competitions continue, MMA will become what boxing is today compared to the boxing of mid-twentieth century. I, personally, don't want that.

What are you gonna do when Zuffa own all of UFC, WEC, Elite XC, IFL?

Why don't they go overseas to other promoters? Money, fame, differing rules, personal reasons. Let's take a quick look at the number of North American promotions: UFC, WEC, Elite XC, IFL, Strikeforce, King of the Cage, Rumble on the Rock, Icon Sport, TKO , EFC, MFC, Cage Fury FC, IFC, Combate Extremo, Gracie FC, FFC, Art of War (US), RioHeroes, Mixed Martial Arts World Fighting Championship. 19.

Now lets see Asian promotions: HERO'S, Pancrase, ZST, DEEP, Spirit MC, Cage Force, Art of War (China), Smackgirl. 8.

Europe: Cage Rage, Cage Warriors, Finnfight. 3.

Source was Wikipedia. If you're in a country with 19 competing promoters you will do your damndest to get the most money from your fights. If you're in Europe, well, there is always unlicenced boxing i guess.

I guess i just like the older days when money and trash talk weren't the first thing to think of when you thought of fighting. I'm just old fashioned
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayer33333
Sinisa Rules all.


Quote:
Originally Posted by zbest
That is part of the reason that the mafia does so much drug trafficing, its so they wont die of hunger because they dont have anything.
sinisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:16 PM   #67
a7xa7xa7x
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
i have to go with Chuck Liddell

haha he woops ass

especially him beating Tito 2 times and tito talkin **** after the first win
a7xa7xa7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #68
Sabu
Banned
 
Sabu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Brock Lesnar gonna kill Frank Mir!
Sabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:15 AM   #69
Neon Knight
Registered User
 
Neon Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Trinidad and Tobago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabu
Brock Lesnar gonna kill Frank Mir!


when is that fight?

I have a brilliant idea, a UFC card comprising only of celebrity martial artists eg. Joe Rogan, Jason Statham, Maynard James Keegan etc
__________________
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!

Last edited by Neon Knight : 01-08-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Neon Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #70
Sabu
Banned
 
Sabu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
It's on UFC 81 which takes place on February 2.
Sabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:30 PM   #71
im_hungry
UG Board King
 
im_hungry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hertford , England
Fedor vs Randy


Fedor wins via Randy being about 50 when they finally fight.
im_hungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:40 AM   #72
Shayne777
Spare Change?
 
Shayne777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary,Alberta,Canada
^ ur probaly right
__________________
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Shayne777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:36 AM   #73
Child Of Maiden
The Reverend
 
Child Of Maiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Well it seems a lot of the match ups we wanted to see might not come to fruition because of the new DREAM organization. Just found out Cro Cop is dropping out of the UFC and is now fighting at the Saitama Super Arena on March 15th. A rematch between Emelianenko and Cro Cop is now looking more probable than a Fedor/Couture match up.

DREAM is pretty much PRIDE all over again. They even got the screaming Pride lady. Oh well, I was a bigger fan of Pride but there was a lot of potential match ups that we didn't get to see with Zuffa's acquisition of PRIDE. Wanderlei vs. Chuck was good though. But I would have liked to see Cro Cop vs. Arlovski.
__________________
No one knows what it's like... to be a dustbin... in Shaftesbury... with hooligans...
Child Of Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:47 AM   #74
BenATL
Oblickerated
 
BenATL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child Of Maiden
Well it seems a lot of the match ups we wanted to see might not come to fruition because of the new DREAM organization. Just found out Cro Cop is dropping out of the UFC and is now fighting at the Saitama Super Arena on March 15th. A rematch between Emelianenko and Cro Cop is now looking more probable than a Fedor/Couture match up.

DREAM is pretty much PRIDE all over again. They even got the screaming Pride lady. Oh well, I was a bigger fan of Pride but there was a lot of potential match ups that we didn't get to see with Zuffa's acquisition of PRIDE. Wanderlei vs. Chuck was good though. But I would have liked to see Cro Cop vs. Arlovski.

cro cop is done. he was bullied by chieck kongo when they fought, and looked like crap on the ground vs. gonzaga who has lost his last 2. And pride fighters for the most part have been getting crushed in the ufc. Anderson silva was out of pride for 2 years when he came over, wanderli has lost 3 strait, sokoju, oh and shogun the so called number light heavy wieght got destroyed by forest, etc. the only excepions i can think of are big nog, rampage, and the verdict is still out on henderson.
__________________
Up the Irons

Jackson RR5
Peavy valveking212
Zakk Wylde distortion
Crybaby from hell.
BenATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:11 AM   #75
vanceboy
UG's __________
 
vanceboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Hawaii
i go to MMAshare.com for all my MMA video needs....instead of having to shell out the money to watch it on PPV.

As for fav's:

Anderson Silva (the guy's unstoppable!)
GSP
BJ Penn


As for my thoughts on PRIDE...those guys are getting annihilated. They were just in their comfort shell in Japan, and now with such a deep talent pool, they are seeing what it truly means to be a fighter.

Last edited by vanceboy : 02-14-2008 at 02:14 AM.
vanceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:32 AM   #76
DaveGilmour1189
Banned
 
DaveGilmour1189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisa
Before PPV and boxing being owned by the Corporation it was a very shady sport. Mafia/gangster links were everywhere. Everywhere. That was cleaned up in the 50's after Liston but what replaced it was the mafia-style tactics of the Corporation. Sure they're probably not as ruthless and don't sell crack, but they economically dominate and therefore exploit the sport. Except this is perfectly legal. Capitalism and free-market and all that.

The reason there are so many ridiculously priced, worthless PPV's is because some economist studying TV ratings found the perfect correlation between price and the amount of viewers that will watch, in order to maximise profit. Explanation: if you make it more expensive, fewer people will watch. At some point there is an optimum price that will gross the most profit. There are more variables (quality of fight, promotion etc.) but that's the gist of it.

It's a f*cking science. No, can that, it's called a Bachelor of Commerce. *shudders*.

My overall point is that if the commercialisation of the various MMA competitions continue, MMA will become what boxing is today compared to the boxing of mid-twentieth century. I, personally, don't want that.

What are you gonna do when Zuffa own all of UFC, WEC, Elite XC, IFL?

Why don't they go overseas to other promoters? Money, fame, differing rules, personal reasons. Let's take a quick look at the number of North American promotions: UFC, WEC, Elite XC, IFL, Strikeforce, King of the Cage, Rumble on the Rock, Icon Sport, TKO , EFC, MFC, Cage Fury FC, IFC, Combate Extremo, Gracie FC, FFC, Art of War (US), RioHeroes, Mixed Martial Arts World Fighting Championship. 19.

Now lets see Asian promotions: HERO'S, Pancrase, ZST, DEEP, Spirit MC, Cage Force, Art of War (China), Smackgirl. 8.

Europe: Cage Rage, Cage Warriors, Finnfight. 3.

Source was Wikipedia. If you're in a country with 19 competing promoters you will do your damndest to get the most money from your fights. If you're in Europe, well, there is always unlicenced boxing i guess.

I guess i just like the older days when money and trash talk weren't the first thing to think of when you thought of fighting. I'm just old fashioned


despite the bad commercial descions of ppv and the like in boxing, i think the real reason its in "decline" is the lack of good fighters. The sport has become so overblow and stupid in the wake of guys like Mike Tyson. All the scandal and stupidy outside the ring took away from the sport. It was relatively okay in the 90's when you had Tyson bitting hollyfield in a fight or some big larger than life personalities that literally sustained the sport. But that very huge overblown thing couldn't sustain itself and without those huge personalities, there's nothing interesting. None of the big names fight more than once a year.
Add to the fact few people coming into fighting are going into boxing. More are drifting towards more "complex" styles. No offense to anyone who likes boxing, but its not as interesting as other sports. Its basically a difference of who can throw the hardest punches and take the most hits. MMA or other sports have more strategic aspects, guys who stay at long range and throw kicks and punches, Guys who grapple towards submission holds, guys how grapple to get into good punching positions. There's more ways to win the fight and its more interesting to watch. I applaud the dirrection they're going towards more regulation and making it a legitimate sport. The only irk i have with it is too many guys go to the floor in wrestling too quickly. I haven't seen a good roundhouse or tornato kick thrown in a fight in awhile. (i do taekwondo by the way so i might be biased in the regard)
DaveGilmour1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:15 AM   #77
BigFatSandwich
occasional poster
 
BigFatSandwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hockessin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGilmour1189
despite the bad commercial descions of ppv and the like in boxing, i think the real reason its in "decline" is the lack of good fighters. The sport has become so overblow and stupid in the wake of guys like Mike Tyson. All the scandal and stupidy outside the ring took away from the sport. It was relatively okay in the 90's when you had Tyson bitting hollyfield in a fight or some big larger than life personalities that literally sustained the sport. But that very huge overblown thing couldn't sustain itself and without those huge personalities, there's nothing interesting. None of the big names fight more than once a year.
Add to the fact few people coming into fighting are going into boxing. More are drifting towards more "complex" styles. No offense to anyone who likes boxing, but its not as interesting as other sports. Its basically a difference of who can throw the hardest punches and take the most hits. MMA or other sports have more strategic aspects, guys who stay at long range and throw kicks and punches, Guys who grapple towards submission holds, guys how grapple to get into good punching positions. There's more ways to win the fight and its more interesting to watch. I applaud the dirrection they're going towards more regulation and making it a legitimate sport. The only irk i have with it is too many guys go to the floor in wrestling too quickly. I haven't seen a good roundhouse or tornato kick thrown in a fight in awhile. (i do taekwondo by the way so i might be biased in the regard)

I disagree with everything you just said. Everything.
__________________
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
BigFatSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:16 AM   #78
Kevin97220
Banned
 
Kevin97220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portland, OR
its awesome!!
Kevin97220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:19 AM   #79
farcry
Registered User
 
farcry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Anderson Silva and GSP are the best. Fedor is cool but he never fights anyone good. Silva and GSP are the best I've ever seen in their respective divisions. A fight between those two guys would be amazing.
farcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:53 AM   #80
Shayne777
Spare Change?
 
Shayne777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary,Alberta,Canada
i want to see Rampage fight wanderlia silva and yes i know they have fought before but rampage is a much better fighter than when he was in PRIDE
__________________
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Shayne777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:40 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.