Old 08-08-2007, 01:33 PM   #21
mike130
UG Newbie

About time.

Colony is my favorite CD.

mike130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:36 PM   #22
megaderrick

Very odd. And my media player has Niklas Sundin (DT's lead guitarist) as one of the composers for the song. Must've been a considerable level of cooperation between the two bands.

EDIT: this is in reference to the "December Flower" discussion.
megaderrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:45 PM   #23
System4321
Deadwood

Great band. Love everything they've done. I presonally got into them when STYE came out. I love that album its great. Everything else is great too. I love Come Clarity as an album. They're slowly bringing back the good stuff. But as I said in another thread, change is good. If bands don't evolve musically it would get boring
System4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:45 PM   #24
monkey of doom
Cheesecake

The mixing is horrible on TJR. Who ever did it deserves to die in a fire. The distortion sounds really bad. I mean, you got moonshield, which has an amazingly beautiful intro. It builds up into the crappiest and thin overdriven guitar sound ever. The music is brilliant but damn, the guitar tone is horrible. Luckily, they fixed it on the next album after that.

Jotun is a great song. Its got great melody. I just bought come clarity and its a bit meh. Some good songs, most bad. Got Clayman a coming in the post soon, hopefully.

Currently playing - Bioshock (360) Forza 2 (360) Mario Kart (Wii) and some CoD4 (360)
monkey of doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:52 PM   #25
megaderrick

It could be better, but it doesn't stop me from hearing the glory of the songs. Best In Flames album overall, song after song is A+.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:49 PM   #26
GhostofSanity
Banned

Once a great band, turned to complete rubbish after Clayman. =( Annoying vocals and poor guitar work kills it for me.
GhostofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:55 PM   #27
toweringdeath

Very good band but kinda lost their pure gothenburg sound over time but F*ck there still awesome none the less... Love the jester race and colony the most..
Old 08-08-2007, 03:14 PM   #28
loonyguitarist
howdybums

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey of doom
The mixing is horrible on TJR. Who ever did it deserves to die in a fire. The distortion sounds really bad. I mean, you got moonshield, which has an amazingly beautiful intro. It builds up into the crappiest and thin overdriven guitar sound ever. The music is brilliant but damn, the guitar tone is horrible. Luckily, they fixed it on the next album after that.

Jotun is a great song. Its got great melody. I just bought come clarity and its a bit meh. Some good songs, most bad. Got Clayman a coming in the post soon, hopefully.

Noo! I really enjoy the whole of Moonshield's sound, wouldn't be the same if they changed it.

What would you recommend for someone who enjoyed The Jester Race? I have their newer albums downloaded, enjoyable, but I want more of their old stuff.

Oh, and Faqu for bringing In Flames back.
loonyguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:28 PM   #29
megaderrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonyguitarist
What would you recommend for someone who enjoyed The Jester Race? I have their newer albums downloaded, enjoyable, but I want more of their old stuff.

Whoracle and Lunar Strain
Old 08-08-2007, 03:31 PM   #30
Flamedmapletop

Ok I am the probabbly the biggest In Flames Guru on this site so I am going to tell you about the song december flower. Fredrik johanson who played with DT in their very early career plays the lead guitar on december flower. Jesper strömblad wrote the song and the lyrics were written by michael stanne, because Anders wasn't that good at english at the time. Fredrik johanson also used to play in jespers side project dimension zero. Fredrik was infact kicked from DT, I think it was because he showed to little comitment. I dont know what fredrik does today, dont think he is in any band atm. Any way even though he playes the lead guitar it was Jesper strömblad who wrote the master piece song and he deserves as much credit as Fredrik if not even more for that !
Flamedmapletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:34 PM   #31
Flamedmapletop

And btw thanks for the In Flames thread. Lets just hope they dont screw up with the new album. All the others are great in their own way. I cant really say whats my favourite.
Flamedmapletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:40 PM   #32
megaderrick

Interesting, thanks for the clarification.

In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, and Hammerfall all have very intertwined pasts, and it makes for some interesting confusion when sorting it all out.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:10 PM   #33
jester ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamedmapletop
Jesper strömblad wrote the song and the lyrics were written by michael stanne, because Anders wasn't that good at english at the time.

Where do you get that from? As far as I know, Stanne wrote the lyrics on Lunar Strain, Henke Forss on Subteranean and Anders explained the concept to Whoracle and TJR then Nicklas Sundin wrote the lyrics. Anders didn't write lyrics by himself before Colony and that's when Sundin just translated them.

Bah, i know to much.

Not a big fan of their latest albums although I think they're decent and R2R being what got me into metal in the first place
jester ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:10 PM   #34
mephistopheles1
hmmm

come clarity really doesn't compare to albums like whoracle and clayman...cant comment on Colony as i havnt heard it.
mephistopheles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:14 PM   #35
zakatak9389
Deviate from the form

[QUOTE=loonyguitarist]Noo! I really enjoy the whole of Moonshield's sound, wouldn't be the same if they changed it.

What would you recommend for someone who enjoyed The Jester Race? I have their newer albums downloaded, enjoyable, but I want more of their old stuff. QUOTE]

Check out Colony. Some good songs are Zombie inc. (killer interlude/solo), Embody the invisible (great melodies and cool solo), and coerced coexistence (awesome solos). those are just my fav tracks from colony, I love that CD, and oh yeah, Man Made God, is an awesome instrumental as well
zakatak9389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:16 PM   #36
Kadavreski

i really don't like reroute / clarity / escape much - they each have a few pretty nice songs but it's lost on me

i really, really like whoracle / colony / lunar strain though, violin solos etc ftw!
Kadavreski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:09 PM   #37
megaderrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakatak9389
Check out Colony. Some good songs are Zombie inc. (killer interlude/solo), Embody the invisible (great melodies and cool solo), and coerced coexistence (awesome solos). those are just my fav tracks from colony, I love that CD, and oh yeah, Man Made God, is an awesome instrumental as well

Good choice for songs there. "Zombie Inc." is amazing, especially during the interlude/solo. I used to have "Man Made God" but I lost it when I got a new computer, goddammit.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:48 PM   #38
The Virtuoso
L'Étranger

Good band, I have Jester Race and every song on there kicks ass, especially the solos to artifacts of the black rain, december flower, and goliaths disarm their davids. I need to go buy Whoracle and Colony though. Ordinary Story and Jotun for the Win.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
The Virtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:59 PM   #39
megaderrick

^Don't forget Lunar Strain/Subterranean. Excellent as hell---"Dreamscape", "Dead Eternity" (old version), "The Inborn Lifeless"....
Old 08-08-2007, 11:27 PM   #40
The Virtuoso
L'Étranger

^ Yeah I need that one too, Mikael Stanne is one of my all-time favorite metal vocalist.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
The Virtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: