There are certain rules that you need to follow if you want to report a bad advertisement. If you do not follow these rules, UG will not be able to assess your report! (Not as in we can't be bothered to deal with half-assed reports, but as in we will actually not be able to... so pay attention!)
BEFORE YOU REPORT AN AD:
There are certain rules you need to keep in mind before posting a thread in this forum:
WHEN YOU REPORT AN AD:
- Be sure to read the general forum rules. As with all other forum posts, these rules are to be followed! Reports that contain spam or insults or break the forum rules otherwise will not be dealt with and will result in a warning/ban.
- Please make sure you have the latest version of Firefox or another browser (try Opera, Google Chrome or Safari). The UG Office recommends using one of these secure browsers rather than Internet Explorer; using an updated and secure Internet browser is essential for surfing the web in general, not only Ultimate Guitar!
- Make sure that whatever you're reporting (obnoxious popup ads, malicious browser hijacks, ...) is a malfunction on UG's end, not yours. If the cause of your problem is on your end (for example, a virus or adware infection on your pc), there's nothing UG will be able to do about it!
An advertisement report NEEDS to include ALL of the following
- A description of the problem (as detailed as possible!);
- A screenshot of the page with all the malicious banners/popups that you want to report;
- Your location (we need it because ads vary depending on your location);
- Your browser and operating system (e.g. Internet Explorer on Windows Vista). Some browsers display content (including ads) differently than others!
- The advertisement URL. It isn't the same as the destination URL of the webpage that the ad redirects you to! Here's how you find it:
- If it's a banner ad: click on the banner, and immediately press ESC (while you are in the newly opened browser window/tab), then copy the URL from the address bar and paste it here.
- If it's an image ad: right-click the image > choose "Show URL" / "View Image Info" > copy and paste the URL here.
- If it's a popup/popunder: please let us know the destination URL (the URL of the page that opens when you click on the popunder/popup) and if possible, the popup URL.
(To get the URL of the popup in Internet Explorer: hit Ctrl+N and it will open the same popup in standard window. Copy that URL from the address bar and paste it here.)
Be advised that reports that do not contain all this info can not be dealt with
. Ads vary from user to user, so if you don't disclose all the necessary information, UG will be completely unable to assess your problem. Not only that, your report will be completely useless and therefore considered spam
UG is funded by ad revenue; the website needs this source of income badly to keep its servers running. Using an adblocker is therefore detrimental to UG's income; if everyone started using them, UG would no longer be able to maintain its servers!
In short, what might come off as an innocent suggestion to you, is actually more harmful to UG than you would imagine. So, discussing adblocking software is not allowed in this forum
; Doing so will result in an instant warning
Please take note of these requirements, and UG Team members will be able to help you out as soon as possible with your ad problems!