Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics > Songwriting & Lyrics Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-15-2007, 02:33 AM   #1
sean1990strat

lyrics and music combined???

i cant seem to combine lyrics with anything like a chord progression is there sumthin that can help me do that
sean1990strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:57 AM   #2
brekin_99
Stealth_99

The ONLY Music + Lyric combination thread

well i have some riffs that i made up but i dont no how to combine them in a song if someone could suggust some techniques or musical theroy that would be appreciatited.
brekin_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:43 AM   #3
TheCondoms
Vermillion

it can be pretty hard to put lyrics into music you already have, for me anyway i find it harder to do that rather than having lyrics sketched out first and then tryign to mould a tune around it... when you do that the song usually develops alot faster and can give you some pretty good results.. but thats just me i guess

If you are looking for lyrics to put under riffs etc then id advise you listen to the sequence very closely and see if it evokes a certain feeling or mood that might give you ideas or a basis to start writing on.

Quote:
I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
TheCondoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:18 AM   #4
abhishek21
One day it will rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1990strat
i cant seem to combine lyrics with anything like a chord progression is there sumthin that can help me do that

the only thing that can help you in this case is practice and improvisation. Say u have writtern the lyrics . First form a melody for it , then select the mode depending ur style and then try to sing it over chords in a certain key.Of course this is the case
when you have writtern lyrics first. In case u have chord progression just hum along with it and try to compose a melody in between that chord progression. Once u are aware of the melody that u are aiming for. You can sit down and write lyrics for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by brekin_99
well i have some riffs that i made up but i dont no how to combine them in a song if someone could suggust some techniques or musical theroy that would be appreciatited.

First of all hear what kind of effect the riff is generating . Wether it's sad or happy and depending on that write a song. Now as far as question on how to compose a whole song (instrumentally ) on that riff is concerned. there's no music theory behind it that i know . For instance Led Zep 's song Heartbreaker is totally based on that riff along with some interludes.; What u can do is play that whole riff again and again but on different notes but in a same key . Or u can do like Metallica did in Enter sandman . Play riff to set the mood and then throw some chord progressions or licks to sing on etc. hope this helps

Last edited by abhishek21 : 08-16-2007 at 09:24 AM.
abhishek21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:22 PM   #5
Auals
She paints me blue...

^ that's basically all I was going to say

except for one thing, now i'm a little different, i normally write my lyris and then let them go, i have a melody line when i'm writing them, that's it and THEN, i'll go and play my guitar and write a chord progression or a riff that I like and i'll mold them together, thankfully for me though, I have a fairly large vocal range so I can work with a lot of things but otherwise just do what abhishek21 says, he knows what he's on about.

I didn't write my first song with music until i'd been writing for about one and a half years because I was just learning how to write, when you're starting out, things that you think are awesome, when you look back on them, arne't all that great, almost everything I wrote in the first one and most of my second years of writing I will never use fully as a song, maybe a verse here or there, a chorus somewhere, so don't be so eager to put music to your songs if you don't want to, its' all about finding your style and working with it, sometimes it's harder to find than other times.

Just because you listen to one style of music doesn't mean you're going to write like that, I listened to a HEAP of blink 182 when i was starting and now I only rarely write pop/rock songs, it's more acoustic, so just experiment.

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
Auals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:34 PM   #6
broken_bottles

How to write a song in 6 easy steps -

1. Make sure you know G, Em, C, D. Am is also good.
2. Buy a capo.
3. Stick it on the guitar on any fret and play in G using above chords in pretty much any combination.
4. Write some lyrics about sex. Be descriptive. (See the inspiration thread)
5. Learn to sing falsetto, it makes you sound very clever and it's easy.
6. If this is impossible, then give up and learn bass.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:42 PM   #7
Auals
She paints me blue...

People who use patterns like that sometimes (i don't say always, just sometimes) sound the same, eventually, no matter where you put the capo you'll still have the same sort of feeling to your songs, PLUS you get bored REALLY quickly, i started experimenting with my chords, different tunings, my newest songs is tuned EADGDA, just experiment, find what you like, doing what the guy above said sometimes works, it's just about finding your own "groove"

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
Auals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:20 PM   #8
Confusius
UG Nerd

Were you slightly drunk when you wrote that Andy cause that isn't great advice. If you write everything using those chords it will sound like any other song ever written. Use other chords, augmented chords, major7 chords. If you play all open D-C-E-G it will sound boring.

Lyrics don't have to be about sex to be good. You can make allusions to sexual situations which will sound clever and witty. If you write: I sexed you up monday morning...cold wind on our naked bodies...it just sounds meh.

And you can just quit making comments about bass like that. It's technically a very very complicated instrument and most failed guitarists that pick up bass can't do well on it either. Don't diss the bass man.

Call me Kyrl, pronounced Curl

DOIN DAT FUNKY DANCE
Confusius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:49 AM   #9
abhishek21
One day it will rain

^ Yup . I was drunk
Old 08-19-2007, 07:20 AM   #10
Confusius
UG Nerd

You can tell, I was wondering what the hell had happened to your grammar. Maybe you should edit the post.

Call me Kyrl, pronounced Curl

DOIN DAT FUNKY DANCE
Confusius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:02 PM   #11
broken_bottles

I'm a bassist.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:57 AM   #12
OMNISIN
SDMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1990strat

Try this,
play the peace of music over and over at lease 5 to 10 times
(or record it and play it back )
then don't put words to it, but try humming a melody to it.
intell you feel that all the peaces fall into place then put words to melody.
Good Luck
OMNISIN
SDMF
OMNISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:16 AM   #13
majikmik

Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_bottles
How to write a song in 6 easy steps -

1. Make sure you know G, Em, C, D. Am is also good.
2. Buy a capo.
3. Stick it on the guitar on any fret and play in G using above chords in pretty much any combination.
4. Write some lyrics about sex. Be descriptive. (See the inspiration thread)
5. Learn to sing falsetto, it makes you sound very clever and it's easy.
6. If this is impossible, then give up and learn bass.

if not about sex then how miserable you are everyone seems to do that these days and dont forget to twiddle about each chord with the little finger to give it some depth

Last edited by majikmik : 11-01-2007 at 06:22 AM.
majikmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:51 PM   #14
ParkerScks

in all honesty there are many ways but u must have a big undertanding about music and its... as i call energy e.g. say you have just finished a song and it sounds kool but nothing comes to minde well look into the song and ask your self what kinde of message is the right thing to put here... if its a dark song then dark lyrics will do well if its a livley song livley lyrics or comedy lyrics or if its just a fast throttle metal or rock song somthing about revenge or how mutch u hate somone or somthing... other way is to look at a set of lyrics

(note do not structure the lyrics) e.g.

VERSE 1
bla bla bla

Chorus
Bla bla bla

Instrumental

na dont do that it requires more thinking power. just write the lyrics as a storey then look at them and play a riff in your head whylst reading and it shuld all come togeather

duno if this has helped but there are many more ways but im not saying no more unless there is a comfortble fee :P jkin hope this helped someone
ParkerScks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:54 PM   #15
ParkerScks

ok one more tip for ya... lol if u hit a gap say u have 3 bars in a vers and a tail at the end of the 3 bars (a diffrant riff to end the vers and kik off another part) simple hold some words threw and try lift the vocals music goes up ure vocal pitch goes up too thats a more simple way
ParkerScks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:42 AM   #16
freakykatt

After reading all this. I have nothing to ask, or input really.

I'm sorta new, (I made a profile a long time ago but only recently started using it)

so if anyone wasnts to talk, it would be appreciated I love talking to fellow musicians
freakykatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:37 AM   #17
Nye 12
Lynyrd Skynyrd Fan

I've just started writing songs and I think my first one is pretty good and I'm working on two more. One thing I find helpfull is don't try to write the song. Let the song write itself. Don't try to figure out what the song could be about, just write some chords down. If you like it then good, now put it aside for later use. Keep writing the tunes to your songs then one of your best friends ticks you and it really affects your life. If you really feel it lyrics should take no more than about a half an hour.Hope this helps!!!!!!!!
Nye 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:25 AM   #18
MaxerJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCondoms
it can be pretty hard to put lyrics into music you already have, for me anyway i find it harder to do that rather than having lyrics sketched out first and then tryign to mould a tune around it... when you do that the song usually develops a lot faster and can give you some pretty good results.. but thats just me i guess

Wow that's interesting because i can not write lyrics then music- probably just because i've got so many tunes that i don't have words for.
MaxerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:07 AM   #19
Res_Shred_Head

this is how i do it. depending on wat comes to me first. if i get a cool riff in my head then ill write based on that. but if i get an idea for lyrics then ill write based on that. it all depends on what comes to u first. but basically just fool around with wat sounds good and original. itll come to u eventually
Res_Shred_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:21 PM   #20
Fly-swatter

I have no problem come up with lyrics once i have the melody (vocal tune), but is trying to think of the melody that gets me in trouble

any hints or tips?
Fly-swatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: