Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics > Songwriting & Lyrics Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-19-2007, 09:15 AM   #21
muzang15
DETAIL CITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by brekin_99
well i have some riffs that i made up but i dont no how to combine them in a song if someone could suggust some techniques or musical theroy that would be appreciatited.

•first of all you must make your lyrics by making a lyrics first.,
•then you use your imagination of the chord that would fit your lyrics.,
•while making the chords write it down so you can edit the other chords.,
•make the finishing touches like adding octaves, bass adlibs, and offbeats to make
the song more beautiful.,

support from Detail City Band
muzang15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:18 AM   #22
muzang15
DETAIL CITY

[COLOR=Blue]•first of all you must make your lyrics by making a lyrics first.,
•then you use your imagination of the chord that would fit your lyrics.,
•while making the chords write it down so you can edit the other chords.,
•make the finishing touches like adding octaves, bass adlibs, offbeats, and also add your riff to make the song more beautiful.,

support from Detail City Band
[/COLOR
muzang15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:52 AM   #23
Relient_K_42

Just try to stick to the first, third, and fifth note in a scale to start with. If that sounds really boring, which it probably will, throw in the second, fourth, and seventh note. Then throw in little old six if you must.

Also, if you have two songs you're working on at once, try to transpose one of them and tweak them a little bit to try and make them fit together. It might not work, but I find it helps me.
Relient_K_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:56 AM   #24
JasonJ31

Question i need some lyrics

i need some lyrics for a song called >will you < and i got the chords and i just need some little helping lyrics and its a acoustic song
JasonJ31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:13 PM   #25
live2rock12

i understand wat u guys are saying there is a game with different riffs that give me tons of ideas for lyrics with music and combining riffs

http://www.addictinggames.com/punkomatic.html

it is very helpful and fun to see wat kind of music u can make
live2rock12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #26
Discordant

If you already have the structure of the song laid out, i find it helpful to just hum along while you play to find the rhythm you think the vocals should take. once you've figured that out, its much easier to find words that match the rhythm and will fit into your song.
Discordant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:52 PM   #27
auburnsky

where do i start? music first, or lyrics first?
does a good song have to rhyme?
auburnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #28
Axel_bass
BaSs 4 LIfE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCondoms
it can be pretty hard to put lyrics into music you already have, for me anyway i find it harder to do that rather than having lyrics sketched out first and then tryign to mould a tune around it... when you do that the song usually develops alot faster and can give you some pretty good results.. but thats just me i guess

If you are looking for lyrics to put under riffs etc then id advise you listen to the sequence very closely and see if it evokes a certain feeling or mood that might give you ideas or a basis to start writing on.

What idiot wrote that...That quote you have
Axel_bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #29
Axel_bass
BaSs 4 LIfE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJ31
i need some lyrics for a song called >will you < and i got the chords and i just need some little helping lyrics and its a acoustic song

Ill try to help...if you send a recording to my email or post your video on youtube and send me the url ill help you...and if we finish that you could compose some stuff for a song im writing..i could add some bass to it? It never hurts anything..
Axel_bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #30
CamTheBass
I am the thump

I just like to start off a song by making up a little riff on my guitar or bass, and then build from there. You can do it vice versa too. Just start off with something small; three chords, for example. And take that and write something, maybe.
CamTheBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #31
mankilla1166

yea i want to write a song for my girlfriend that actually means something and i dont knnow what tuning would sound best. . .any advice?
mankilla1166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #32
liamoshoro
liamoshoro

easier said than done ........humming a melody is alot easier i feel.....easier to mould something more worthwhile out of...............

but thats just BOTTOM TALK!
liamoshoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:46 PM   #33
nevermind_111

I find it realtively easy to sing along with my guitar when I play.
But I find it really difficult to write lyrics and then try and put a tune to them. Anyone got any tips?
nevermind_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:38 PM   #34
Koaphagia

no, see you should write something. And if the lyrics flow right with what your sining then it'll probably work out. Or just keep changing the way you're doing your vocals until it works. Make variations, not everything works just because you think it will, or you think it'll sound good. Sometimes you might think of a melody but then when you try it doesn't work. Just keep working with it and eventually all the pieces will come together.
Koaphagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:40 PM   #35
Koaphagia

nevermind_111 you should write the music before hand. Then write the lyrics. This way you can try to find lyrics that fit the musical structure. And if you're having trouble with lyrics, then start simple, try to write a story
Koaphagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:46 AM   #36
Emperor's Child
PUT YOU IN MY OVEN!

First of all, I always make the melody first (Otherwise it just never seems to work!) Ok, so I have a few tips here:

1. Get Guitar Pro or something similar - It's like a holy grail
2. Use Guitar Pro (Otherwise It's useless)
3. One easy way of solving this is creating a riff you really like, no matter how complex then blend it into some really simple verse notes (that are often very repetitive). The listen to the song and put words in where they fit.
4. Using Guitar Pro create an extra track that fits into the piece where verses and choruses go - there's your vocals. Experiment with the settings of the instrument to replicate the style of vocals
5. Create lyrics that fit with the mood (Not many heavy metal song are about rabbits)
Emperor's Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:20 AM   #37
af_the_fragile
Banned

The way i do is when i write lyrics, i sing them while writing them.
So i've already got a tune in my head while writing the lyrics.
Then i try to figure out what sorta music would go well with the "singing" (of the lyrics).
Once i know what to do, i **** around till i find something that works.
Put the music with the "singing" lyrics. And there you've got a song!

But i spend most time figure out what sorta music would suit the lyrics. Once i've got that figured out, the music after that comes very easily cuz you know exactly what you're looking for.
I try to figure out everything, the drums, guitars, bass and all. I sorta like sing out the riff, beats and all so basically i've got the whole song composed in my head and beat boxed before i get to writing it on instruments.
af_the_fragile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:32 AM   #38
suthy16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor's Child
First of all, I always make the melody first (Otherwise it just never seems to work!) Ok, so I have a few tips here:

1. Get Guitar Pro or something similar - It's like a holy grail
2. Use Guitar Pro (Otherwise It's useless)
3. One easy way of solving this is creating a riff you really like, no matter how complex then blend it into some really simple verse notes (that are often very repetitive). The listen to the song and put words in where they fit.
4. Using Guitar Pro create an extra track that fits into the piece where verses and choruses go - there's your vocals. Experiment with the settings of the instrument to replicate the style of vocals
5. Create lyrics that fit with the mood (Not many heavy metal song are about rabbits)
I've never gotten into the Guitar Pro method of writing a song.. Maybe I'm just old fashioned but for me songs have always started with an acoustic guitar, humming out a melody, then writing words. And then I'll build on the song and add parts from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koaphagia
no, see you should write something. And if the lyrics flow right with what your sining then it'll probably work out. Or just keep changing the way you're doing your vocals until it works. Make variations, not everything works just because you think it will, or you think it'll sound good. Sometimes you might think of a melody but then when you try it doesn't work. Just keep working with it and eventually all the pieces will come together.
The flaw with that, though, is that along the way little pieces of the original lyrics get chopped off to fit your newfound melody.. And because of that, it just becomes a poem that was twisted, contorted and shoved into a piece of music. Unless you're writing spoken word songs, it's not going to work as nicely as you believe it will.

Last edited by suthy16 : 03-18-2008 at 10:38 AM.
suthy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:15 PM   #39
jack_grissom

Im not that great with melodies.

I tend to sing in the key of whatever chord is being played. Otherwise I usually mess up, unless I REALLY REALLY have the song down.

Any tips?
jack_grissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:55 PM   #40
Greendrag92

I've got tons of lyrics I'm the singer in my band that plays limited guitar, but it seems like a bad idea to get a tune in your head before you get a progression or riff down. I can't imagine trying to write something on guitar to try and coincide with a tune for the vocalist but I also can't put a tune to a chord progression or riff so anyone got ne advice for lyrics then chord progression then melody method.
Greendrag92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: