Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics > Songwriting & Lyrics Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-26-2009, 12:18 AM   #81
tameley

I am very excited to be a part of this Forum and look forward to bringing Value to it.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:05 AM   #82
sinister2491

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxerJ
Wow that's interesting because i can not write lyrics then music- probably just because i've got so many tunes that i don't have words for.

hmm im opposite. i can write 10 song drafts a day but play with the same couple of riffs for a week or two
sinister2491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:02 PM   #83
JeffNitro101
ROCK!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1990strat
i cant seem to combine lyrics with anything like a chord progression is there sumthin that can help me do that

when you sing the song you have to hit the same notes as in the chord progression so if the guitar is playing an A your voice has to match that tone
Old 02-20-2010, 12:17 AM   #84
superdanny79

I combine my lyrics with some tabs and make a good ass song!!
superdanny79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:29 PM   #85
Diva Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1990strat
i cant seem to combine lyrics with anything like a chord progression is there sumthin that can help me do that

It's not clear from your question whether you've got the music and are trying to fit lyrics to it, or you've got lyrics and are trying to fit music to them.

Lyrics serve several different purposes. From a purely compositional perspective, the primary function of lyrics is to give structure and form to the vocalist's toning. Words aren't so much the issue when you come from this place, what matters are how the words are shaped, where the stops and starts are--just like any other compositional line. This is why jazz singers get away with scat singing.

A songwriter, by contrast, is trying to accomplish one of two things with lyrics:
2) tell a story or
3) describe a feeling/situation/setting
From a writing perspective, the music furthers the ideas put forth in the lyrics.

A truly successful song will mesh the feel of the music with the purpose of the lyrics (and vice versa).

So my questions to you are: what are you trying to accomplish? What's most important to you? What are you trying to say?

Once you know that, it should fall into place fairly quickly.
Diva Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:32 PM   #86
justintrevor

I seem to have alot of trouble singing and playing guitar at the same time. Every time I try either my playing or singing, or both get messed up somewhere in the mix. I can come up with some pretty good lyrics and a good rhythm with some nice licks, but I can never tell if it all sounds good together because i cant play and sing. Help?

Last edited by justintrevor : 03-01-2010 at 10:37 PM.
justintrevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #87
cropcircles000

I write countless progressions riffs and solos but i have the worst time even to attempt lyrics.

If anybody has any tips it would be greatly appreciated.
cropcircles000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:58 AM   #88
llisyspa67
Banned

Songwriting is a very talented skill and it have so many technique for writing like some writer just visualize the sine in their mind and start writing.Some use rhythmic word at the end of the line
Old 05-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #89
thenevide
The Nevide

I haven't been keepin up to date with this thread, but personally I feel you can't tell someone what's best to do. Lyrics first or music first. It's like teaching someone YOUR playing style. So...I'm not much help haha.
I'm not the best at writing lyrics myself however, but personally I think they can be effective when they make you think about the meaning. Sometimes there shouldn't be a clear meaning?
I love Coheed And Cambria, for lyrical inspiration. Of course that is just me!

Peace!
thenevide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:33 AM   #90
Dmt8jr

well do you play guitar as well? i know that helps me alot with lyrics, i come up with a chord combination that expresses my mood (thats all songwriting is) and mix it up with some rhyming words that sound good and dont make it song like its a total rap. Come up with a tone, a rythym, and most of all know what your writing about.
Dmt8jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:15 AM   #91
Thomas Vela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auals
^ that's basically all I was going to say

except for one thing, now i'm a little different, i normally write my lyris and then let them go, i have a melody line when i'm writing them, that's it and THEN, i'll go and play my guitar and write a chord progression or a riff that I like and i'll mold them together, thankfully for me though, I have a fairly large vocal range so I can work with a lot of things but otherwise just do what abhishek21 says, he knows what he's on about.

I didn't write my first song with music until i'd been writing for about one and a half years because I was just learning how to write, when you're starting out, things that you think are awesome, when you look back on them, arne't all that great, almost everything I wrote in the first one and most of my second years of writing I will never use fully as a song, maybe a verse here or there, a chorus somewhere, so don't be so eager to put music to your songs if you don't want to, its' all about finding your style and working with it, sometimes it's harder to find than other times.

Just because you listen to one style of music doesn't mean you're going to write like that, I listened to a HEAP of blink 182 when i was starting and now I only rarely write pop/rock songs, it's more acoustic, so just experiment.

Good luck

same here, i listen to death metal bands but i write acoustics (bar chords) softer love or sadness songs
Thomas Vela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #92
Jacobrivers8

yea like ill write a song and then like the i kinda get an idea about what the lyrics should be about and write from there
Jacobrivers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:52 AM   #93
lew255
UG Newbie

Check out this guys music its brilliant, I tried to find my own videos on youtube Becasue I forgot my username and this guys videos popped up. The sound and video arent brilliant but the guitaring on "Here I Am Again" And his original songs arre great, take a look, also I found him on facebook!

LYRICS ARE BRILLIANT HES ONLY 17

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=133163716715865

http://www.youtube.com/user/mrlewisforsyth
lew255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:25 AM   #94
Stillanovice

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintrevor
I seem to have alot of trouble singing and playing guitar at the same time. Every time I try either my playing or singing, or both get messed up somewhere in the mix. I can come up with some pretty good lyrics and a good rhythm with some nice licks, but I can never tell if it all sounds good together because i cant play and sing. Help?

LOL I know the feeling, its frustrating... but I think its all about practice... just keep trying.
You could try to record it and then sing the lyrics along with it, then you'll be able to get a better idea of how it sounds. Thats what I do.
Hope that helps.
Stillanovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:12 PM   #95
patches88

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNitro101
when you sing the song you have to hit the same notes as in the chord progression so if the guitar is playing an A your voice has to match that tone

Thats true but you can branch out into other notes you just have to treat the tone of you voice like your doing a variations of a scale so if your in A... A, B, C#, D, E, F# and G# are all acceptable if you use them right
patches88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:34 PM   #96
alexbarty

since I don't have perfect pitch, I find it easier to write the chord progression first, then sing scales over each chord to know what notes to sing. or I'll just write a melody on a piano or guitar and play it over the progression and set it to lyrics
alexbarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:40 PM   #97
halo43
Intoxicated At All Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintrevor

Play the riffs and whatnot, and hum, whistle, croon, or skittelly scat bee boop dee dah over it. That'll help. Start with the humming, when you've got that down, move to something with vowels and consonants (like scat), and so on, until you can work the words in. It just takes a lot of practice. You'll get it if you keep at it.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:25 AM   #98
vikasshetty
Vikk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auals
^ that's basically all I was going to say

except for one thing, now i'm a little different, i normally write my lyris and then let them go, i have a melody line when i'm writing them, that's it and THEN, i'll go and play my guitar and write a chord progression or a riff that I like and i'll mold them together, thankfully for me though, I have a fairly large vocal range so I can work with a lot of things but otherwise just do what abhishek21 says, he knows what he's on about.

I didn't write my first song with music until i'd been writing for about one and a half years because I was just learning how to write, when you're starting out, things that you think are awesome, when you look back on them, arne't all that great, almost everything I wrote in the first one and most of my second years of writing I will never use fully as a song, maybe a verse here or there, a chorus somewhere, so don't be so eager to put music to your songs if you don't want to, its' all about finding your style and working with it, sometimes it's harder to find than other times.

Just because you listen to one style of music doesn't mean you're going to write like that, I listened to a HEAP of blink 182 when i was starting and now I only rarely write pop/rock songs, it's more acoustic, so just experiment.

Good luck

Thanks Aual... it helped a lot.. it took some time .. but it sure works
vikasshetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #99
KalieShorr

KalieShorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:49 PM   #100
ryan_patrick

try writing the lyrics with the guitar so that instead of adjusting you guitar to your lyrics, you can make your lyrics work around the guitar part.
ryan_patrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: