Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #501
SomeoneYouKnew
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearofthemark
Hey guys,

It would be great if there was an update in "community updates" for picture comments. When I go to my profile, I see the friend requests, and when I go to the public profiles, I see comments easily, but picture comments are more out of the way, and it might be months before I see them. It can't be that hard to code in, just a hyperlink
Community Updates is a Widget, aka: Module. There is a thread just for those. But no big deal, really.

I dunno if it's really worth adding notifications for picture comments to the Community Updates widget. There are tons of things that could generate notifications. Better to add those things that don't already generate notifications through other means, yeah?

You can get email notifications on several items if you check the appropriate boxes in the Account Settings page in your My Profile. I think this is a pretty good way to keep track of those areas of your profile you seldom visit yourself. Try getting your notifications that way. I think you'll like it.

The number of data entries in each user's Community Updates stack is limited. So when new things happen, the older events drop off the list. Add too many other items and you'll miss notifications if they drop off the list before you check it.

At present, Community Updates is geared around activities on your friends' profiles and posts in Groups you belong to. It's probably better to keep it focused in that direction, and add notifications for other events in the community, rather than what happens on your own profile.

I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
SomeoneYouKnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:28 PM   #502
fearofthemark
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneYouKnew
Community Updates is a Widget, aka: Module. There is a thread just for those. But no big deal, really.

Oh, I thought widgets are those boxes on the UG main page. I put it in this forum because you get to community updates by clicking the "Profile" link.

Quote:
I dunno if it's really worth adding notifications for picture comments to the Community Updates widget. There are tons of things that could generate notifications. Better to add those things that don't already generate notifications through other means, yeah?

Yes, but the only way to get those notifications is through email, which is a hassle for people who don't check their UG emails for various reasons.

Quote:
You can get email notifications on several items if you check the appropriate boxes in the Account Settings page in your My Profile. I think this is a pretty good way to keep track of those areas of your profile you seldom visit yourself. Try getting your notifications that way. I think you'll like it.
[IMG]*img*[/IMG]

I would, but due to spam and multiple other reasons, my email address is clogged with over 10,000 emails, so I never check it. My other email address doesn't work for some reason, so I can't do that.

Quote:
The number of data entries in each user's Community Updates stack is limited. So when new things happen, the older events drop off the list. Add too many other items and you'll miss notifications if they drop off the list before you check it.

I think you may be misunderstanding my request. My proposal is a small addition on the bottom of the community updates box like this:

I don't know what you mean by older events dropping off the list; if I have new notifications, it just tells me here.

Quote:
At present, Community Updates is geared around activities on your friends' profiles and posts in Groups you belong to. It's probably better to keep it focused in that direction, and add notifications for other events in the community, rather than what happens on your own profile.

Community Updates also has things like friend requests and private messages, though. I don't think it would be detrimental in any way to add photo comments on it.

If I'm missing some important aspect of this, please let me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Last edited by fearofthemark : 01-09-2010 at 07:38 PM.
fearofthemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #503
Carmel

I want the ability to limit/extend the number of profile comments that show up on my profile, like the ability to limit/extend the number of mp3s that appear on the player.

For example: Show 5 posts, 10 posts, 20, 40.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:05 PM   #504
SomeoneYouKnew
UG God

Quote:
Yes, but the only way to get those notifications is through email, which is a hassle for people who don't check their UG emails for various reasons.

I would, but due to spam and multiple other reasons, my email address is clogged with over 10,000 emails, so I never check it. My other email address doesn't work for some reason, so I can't do that.
It might benefit you to work on that. Maybe make a new email account and link that to UG. There are 2 places where UG can be linked to your email. From the control panel on the forums and on you My Profile settings. Each allows notifications for a different set of functions. It's a very convenient way to get notifications for a wide variety of events that occur on UG.

If you use MSN, you can get notifications of new emails on your Hotmail account any time you're on MSN. I would think YIM will have a similar function. The MSN notifcations tell you who the sender of the email is. You won't even need to check your email unless you have mail from someone you wanna read.

Quote:
I think you may be misunderstanding my request. My proposal is a small addition on the bottom of the community updates box like this:
Yes, I understand. No, I had misunderstood. What you are talking about is a tab in your My Profile maintenance page. I don't know if there is an efficient way to add notifications for that and have the notifications removed when they are no longer "new". The other items there are dependent on you taking some sort of action ... Opening the email, accepting or rejecting the friend request, etc. Maybe set the amount of time a photo comment is considered "new" or smth. idk.

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by older events dropping off the list; if I have new notifications, it just tells me here.
We got a bit off-track on terminology. I thought you were talking about the widget on the UG main page. There is a limit to the number of notifications in each users stack for the widget. iirc, that's 30 items. When a new notification is added to the stack, the oldest notification drops off. If you have a lot of new notifications and check your updates seldom, you won't see all of them. Just the most recent 30.

Quote:
Community Updates also has things like friend requests and private messages, though. I don't think it would be detrimental in any way to add photo comments on it.
Those might be added. Eventually. But priority for adding functions that can be achieved by other means will be low. The programmers are always busy creating improvements, making the current system more efficient, correcting bugs. The most important issues are dealt with first. Less important things are dealt with as time permits.
Quote:

Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew : 02-09-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:25 PM   #505
fearofthemark
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneYouKnew
It might benefit you to work on that. Maybe make a new email account and link that to UG. There are 2 places where UG can be linked to your email. From the control panel on the forums and on you My Profile settings. Each allows notifications for a different set of functions. It's a very convenient way to get notifications for a wide variety of events that occur on UG.

If you use MSN, you can get notifications of new emails on your Hotmail account any time you're on MSN. I would think YIM will have a similar function. The MSN notifcations tell you who the sender of the email is. You won't even need to check your email unless you have mail from someone you wanna read.

That seems a lot more complicated than just checking my pictures periodically
Thanks though

Quote:
Yes, I understand. No, I had misunderstood. What you are talking about is a tab in your My Profile maintenance page. I don't know if there is an efficient way to add notifications for that and have the notifications removed when they are no longer "new". The other items there are dependent on you taking some sort of action ... Opening the email, accepting or rejecting the friend request, etc. Maybe set the amount of time a photo comment is considered "new" or smth. idk.

An efficient way (I think) would be to consider the comment "new" until you click the yellow link taking you to the picture(s), at which point the notification won't show up anymore.

Quote:
We got a bit off-track on terminology. I thought you were talking about the widget on the UG main page. There is a limit to the number of notifications in each users stack for the widget. iirc, that's 30 items. When a new notification is added to the stack, the oldest notification drops off. If you have a lot of new notifications and check your updates seldom, you won't see all of them. Just the most recent 30.

ahh, I getcha

Quote:
Those might be added. Eventually. But priority for adding functions that can be achieved by other means will be low. The programmers are always busy creating improvements, making the current system more efficient, correcting bugs. The most important issues are dealt with first. Less important things are dealt with as time permits.

Fair enough. Thanks for taking the time to read through and respond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Last edited by fearofthemark : 02-18-2010 at 09:28 PM.
fearofthemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #507
the_wassel

find mods that actually care and don't totally trash your stuff, eh?
the_wassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #508
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

???

Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:55 AM   #509
stepco12345
UG's Sadcore Advocate

Hey. I have a suggestion.
How about a button attachment or something that directly lets you link/post a user's song or blog or even picture I guess, to your Facebook or Twitter or something.
Like, some websites allow you to connect something (like a high score or news story or something) to Facebook or Twitter with a prewritten message and even sometimes already shortened link. All in one button.

Thought it might be useful for music and blogs on UG.

Last.FM

This is why I'm #Fresh.

2014 UG Awards winner for Favourite "Retired" CC!
I am the greatest!
stepco12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #510
aig91
Annie

Could there be a function to organize your gear list in an order of which you prefer it to be shown?
Old 04-30-2010, 05:40 AM   #511
SomeoneYouKnew
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by aig91
Could there be a function to organize your gear list in an order of which you prefer it to be shown?
Maybe something similar to the way you can move the order of your mp3s?
That would be a nice touch, I think.
Quote:
Old 05-16-2010, 02:48 AM   #512
DarkDigivid13
Feminist

Two things I think the website needs.

More widgets, seriously, five? Really, is that all?

Also a more specific random search feature would be good, for example you could ask for a five star solo of intermediate difficulty in standard tuning and get a random tab.
Maybe if you left the advanced search field blank?
DarkDigivid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:20 PM   #513
SomeoneYouKnew
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDigivid13
Two things I think the website needs.

More widgets, seriously, five? Really, is that all?
More are under development, but priorities have shifted. Right now the mobile tab applications for various platforms and another high priority project are keeping the programmers busy.

But be sure to visit the Widgets suggestion thread. If you have any new ideas or refinements to add to current suggestions, you should post them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDigivid13
Also a more specific random search feature would be good, for example you could ask for a five star solo of intermediate difficulty in standard tuning and get a random tab.
Maybe if you left the advanced search field blank?
Mbe having a random button within the advanced search instead of leaving the keyword field blank. That would make the feature less hidden. But yeah, this seems useful.
Quote:
Old 05-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #514
Malll0y

Droid App please please please!!!
Malll0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:16 AM   #515
SomeoneYouKnew
UG God

I think I would be a nice touch to add a notification to our "My Profile" page in the region where we have new friend requests, new private message, etc.

It would be "Upcoming Birthdays".
Maybe have the link go to a list of UGers who have a birthday today, or tomorrow.
The default would for notifications only of the UGers on your friends list, but an option could be to get notifications of birthdays of all UGers. Or you could opt-out of birthday notifications completely.
Quote:
Old 06-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #516
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ some kind of opt-out for keeping your birthday private would be needed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:37 AM   #517
SomeoneYouKnew
UG God

^
Makes sense. Good point!
Quote:
Old 06-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #518
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:26 AM   #519
SomeoneYouKnew
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by aobama52
*advertising*
*reported*
Quote:
Old 06-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #520
j_daniel

I suggest telling people why their tab submissions get denied. Otherwise, they won't know how to fix a problem that you might have with their submission.
j_daniel is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: