Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 08-21-2007, 01:59 AM   #1
TwoString
AKA Chad

Stevie Ray Vaughan: His Rig

Stevie's Guitars

Fender Broadcaster - a 1952 model handed down to Stevie from Jimmie. Stevie practiced and performed a little with this guitar around 1966.

1954 Les Paul TV model - Stevie began performing with this guitar around 1968. He continued to use this guitar throughout his time with Blackbird.

1952 Les Paul Gold Top - Stevie also performed with this guitar around 1968 with Blackbird.

Unknown Black Strat - This guitar was used quite a bit by Stevie before he aquired Number 1. The guitar has "SRV" in small gold writing on the upper horn and a maple neck. Lots of early footage of Stevie, most notably his performances at Antone's, show this guitar quite a bit. This is possibly the 1963 maple necked Strat that was traded for Number 1 in 1973.

Kay Barney Kessel - purchased in 1972 and stolen in 1975

1948 Airline 3 pickup model - rarely used.

"Number 1"

"Number 1" - There is so much to say about this guitar. This is the one everyone geeks out over, even though he played Charlie, Scotch and Main almost as much as Number 1 over the course of his career. You can really see SRV's setup reflected in all of his guitars, but generally the only difference between Number 1 and the rest of his guitars are as follows; he used heavier strings on Number 1 and Number 1 had a round-lam fretboard instead of a slab board. Also, the fretboard was quite thin after several refrets. The pickups were always stock and were never rewound (this has been noted in several interviews with Rene Martinez). By 1990, the only original parts on Number 1 were the body and the pickups...all other parts were replacements off of other vintage strats or brand new parts. Stevie acquired Number 1 in 1973 after spotting it in Heart of Texas Music in Austin. He traded his 1963 Strat in for the sunburst model. Rene Martinez also notes in several interviews that it was a rather odd, cobbled together guitar. The body was stamped with a 1962/1963 date (the date changes in several Martinez interviews, but remains consistent to those two years), the original neck had a 1962 date written on it, and the pickups were marked as 1959 models). There is no proof or documentation that the pickups were ever re-wound, but the legend says they were overwound either from the start or from a factory rewind before Stevie acquired the guitar. The guitar originally had the common three-layer white pickguard (see pics on this page), but that was soon changed to the signature black pickguard with the SRV initial decals. The decals were changed often. The vibrato unit was replaced sometime in 1977. Rene Martinez has been quoted as saying the only reason a left-handed trem was used was due to the fact that they could not find a right hander in time for an important show, so a lefty was swapped in at the last minute. The "Custom" sticker in front of the bridge was an effort to hide the hack and slash job the guitar underwent to fit the new tremolo. Number 1 is the only guitar in Stevie's collection that has a lefty vibrato. Stevie typically used 4 or 5 springs on the unit (most pictures show 5) and kept the pivot plate flush with the body. Number 1 had unusually large frets as well. Rene Martinez confirms that they typically used Dunlop 6100 fretwire, but they used bass fret wire for at least one refret due to the fact that normal fretwire could not be found quickly enough.

From Dan Erlewine's interview with Rene Martinez in 1989

Nut - Standard Bone

Neck Relief - .012" at the 7th and 9th frets - level for the remainder of the board

Strings - GHS Nickel Rockers, .013, .015, .019, .028, .038, .056

Fretwire - Dunlop 6100

String Height at 12th fret - 5/64" for the high E, 7/64" for the low E

Fretboard Radius - Compound, approx. 12" radius from 12th fret up

Vibrato Unit: Fender vintage-style, left-handed, not original. Stainless steel replacement bar. Lubricated with graphite/grease mixture at pivot plate; all string contact points, including saddle peaks; block and claw; nut; string trees

Saddles: Fender vintage-style, not all original. All edges that contact strings are ground smooth and radiused. Plastic tubing slipped over strings and positioned over saddle "break points"

Pickups: Original Fender single-coil, rewound. Pickup body routing painted with metallic shielding paint. Pickup heights, measured to polepieces from straightedge laid on frets:

Treble side - bridge PU 0", middle PU - almost 0", neck PU - 1/16"
Bass side - bridge PU - 1/32", middle PU - 1/16", neck PU - 1/32"

Early pic of Stevie playing Number 1 with a white pickguard

"Main"

"Main" - First things first, this guitar is not a Fender. This instrument is a custom Hamiltone guitar built by James Hamilton. The instrument was custom built to order by Billy Gibbons and given to Stevie as a gift from the ZZ Top front man in 1984. And this is also the guitar that got rained on during the making of the Couldn't Stand The Weather video. The instrument features an ebony fretboard with Stevie's full name inlaid on it, a flamed maple top and back with cherry sunburst finish, and a bound alder body with no little contour. The most unique feature...neck-through body construction and a 26 1/8" scale length. The guitar originally had EMG pickups and an onboard preamp (as seen in the Couldn't Stand The Weather video), but the electronics were removed afterwards for two reasons. One, Stevie hated the tone of the electronics and two, the electronics were ruined during the filming of the music video (water and active preamps don't mix). To see the guitar in action, check out Stevie's "Voodoo Chile" performance during the 1985 Montreux Jazz Festival. Custom-built replicas are available from Jim Hamilton, but they will cost you.

"Charley"

"Charley" - A custom built Strat style guitar put together by Dallas guitar shop owner Charley Wirz. The guitar features a hard tail bridge, two controls (volume and tone), Danelectro lipstick pickups, an ebony fretboard and a white headstock to match the body color. The finish also has a pearl top coat that makes the guitar appear as if it is changing color depending on the viewing angle. The wiring is not the typical 5 way Strat setup, but rather an unknown custom wiring configuration devised by Wirz. The neck plate has "To Stevie, More in '84" engraved on it and the back of the guitar has a girlie pinup on it.

Charley's back

The guitar was used to record Couldn't Stand The Weather, Tin Pan Alley and Life Withou You, which was Stevie's tribute to Charley after his passing in 1984. The guitar was also used on stage quite a bit and was used for the majority of Stevie's 1985 Montreux performance (in fact, Number 1 wasn't number 1 for this show...Charley and Main both had far more exposure at this show than Number 1). In 2003, Rene Martinez and the staff at Charley's built 23 replicas of this guitar and sold each for $2500. Current owners of the replica instruments include Carlos Santana, John Mayer and Kenny Wayne Shepherd. Ten more copies were built in 2005, but these guitars do not feature the Charley's logo on the instrument.

"Lenny"

"Lenny" before the maple neck

"Lenny" - Named after Vaughan's first wife, the instrument was purchased at a pawn shop by SRV roadie Byron Barr and shown to Lenny Vaughan. Lenny presented the guitar to Vaughan as a gift, planning to pay Barr back at a later time. Stevie later had to repay the debt himself in cash and a leather jacket. The guitar features an odd decal (added by Stevie around 1986) forward of the tremolo, stock hardware, and a non-Fender maple neck suposedly given to Stevie by Billy Gibbons. The tremolo was set up for full-floating action and used lighter gauge strings and only four springs on the tremolo. The pickups remained stock and were microphonic. The guitar was commonly used on stage for Lenny and Riviera Paradise. The instrument sold for $623,500 in 2004 as part of the Crossroads Guitar Auction and stands as the only SRV guitar to be sold to the public.

"Scotch"

"Scotch" - Sometimes called "Butter" and "Butterscotch", the 1961 Stratocaster is yet another guitar assembled from various parts. This instrument was pieced together by Rene Martinez in the fall of 1985 and features a custom made red/black patterned pickguard and a custom neck with an ebony fretboard. This guitar was often used as a backup for Number 1, but eventually became a full-time favorite and took the place of Number 1 when that guitar began to have severe neck issues. The neck features a brass nut. Sometime in late 1989, Stevie swapped the neck from Scotch onto Number 1 and placed a left-handed neck on Scotch. It is reported that Number 1 didn't make many (if any) tracks on the In Step record due to neck issues, as this instrument was the primary guitar used during those sessions along with Red. See Stevie's 1989 Austin City Limits performance of "Look At Little Sister". Stevie begins the song with Number 1, but breaks a string half way through the solo. He finishes the solo without a B string, and after the solo his guitar tech runs out and helps him quickly put on Scotch to finish the song.
Pedalboard Build
Patch Cable Tutorial
GT-8 Thread
Slide Clinic
7 Way Strat
LP Intonation Mod
My SRV Rig Thread

I build rigs and custom pedalboards...PM me for help or advice.

Last edited by TwoString : 08-22-2007 at 12:51 PM.
TwoString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:00 AM   #2
TwoString
AKA Chad

"Red"

"Red" - Another parts guitar purchased from Charley's Guitarshop around 1983. The instrument features a '64 body and a left-handed '64 neck with a rosewood fretboard. The guitar is named after its red finish, although a black finish can be seen more and more as the red is worn off throughout the mid 80's (the guitar was originally had a sunburt finish). The instrument featured a stock neck until 1986, when a left handed neck was installed. The guitar received a new Fender neck in July 1990. This guitar was often used towards the early part of the set for songs like Rude Mood and Pride and Joy

Stevie with "Yellow"

"Yellow" - Another 1964 Strat, this guitar was originally owned by Vanilla Fudge guitarist Vince Martell. The guitarist sold the instrument to Charley's Guitar Shop. Charley painted the guitar Yellow and gave it to Stevie in early 1981. The guitar has a custom pickguard with only a neck pickup, volume control and tone control. The cavity under the pickguard was originally routed for four humbuckers for Martell, but this cavity was covered by the custom pickguard. This guitar can be seen during Vaughan's 1982 Montreux Jazz Festival performance of "Collins Shuffle". The typical SRV letters are placed in the space between the bridge and neck pickup. The tremolo bridge is brass in appearance and featured heavy milled saddles (much like the saddles on Lenny) instead of the typical bent steel saddles featured on Stevie's vintage guitars. This guitar was stolen some time in 1987 and was never recovered.

Stevie with his National

National Steel - Acquired as a gift from roadie Byron Barr, the 1928 National supposedly belonged to Blind Boy Fuller, but this is very unlikely. The guitar was bought from Charley's in 1981 and is featured on the cover of In Step.

Stevie with Epiphone Rivera

Stevie and the Rivera on stage with BB King

Early 80's shot with the Rivera

Epiphone Rivera - through photographs, it's pretty evident that Stevie had this guitar for quite a long time. More information to come...I've got a few interviews I have to go over, but I know he talks about the Rivera quite a bit.

Stevie with his ES-335

ES-335 - A 1958 dot neck model that made rare appearances on stage with Stevie. This guitar is documented in various equipment manifests between 1982 and 1985. Little is known about the instrument.

Gibson Johnny Smith - used to record "Stang's Swang"

Stevie in '77 or '78 with a Rickenbacker

Rickenbacker Stereo Prototype - listed in a 1981 equipment list, Stevie gave this guitar to Hubert Sumlin (it was later stolen from Sumlin). I have not seen any photographs of this instrument either by itself or being played by Stevie.

Tokai Stratocaster - documented in a 1982 insurance manifest. I cannot find any other information or photographs of this instrument.

Custom Hendrix "Tele" Prototype - In a March 1990 interview with John Sebastian, Stevie stated that the guitar used for "House is Rockin" was a bit of a halfbreed featuring "...the body of a Hendrix prototype that had Tele pickups in a Strat body, and we had taken the Tele neck off of another guitar and stuck it on." There is also conflicting documentation that Stevie actually used Paul Burleson's telecaster to perform the track.

Stevie performing with a Telecaster - if I had to put a date on it, I'd guess sometime around 1986-1987
Pedalboard Build
Patch Cable Tutorial
GT-8 Thread
Slide Clinic
7 Way Strat
LP Intonation Mod
My SRV Rig Thread

Last edited by TwoString : 08-22-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:01 AM   #3
TwoString
AKA Chad

Stevie with a Les Paul

Gibson Les Paul - there is no documentation about this guitar other than a picture of Stevie playing it.

Stevie with his Guild 12 String

Guild 12 String - used for his MTV Unplugged performance

Stevie holding an unknown red guitar (this is not "Red", in fact it looks more like a Performance guitar by the skinny upper horn)

Amps

Fender Vibroverb - Stevie owned and heavily used two '64 model vibroverbs. They can be seen in his backline from about '84 on.

Fender Super Reverb - Stevie owned two of these amps. Both amps were equipped with 10" EV speakers.

Marshall 4140 Club And Country - used for Stevie's clean tone in the early 80's. This amp is currently on display at the Stevie Ray Vaughan museum. The amp's test date is 2/18/1980 and the amp is documented on a customs/insurance equipment list from 1983. Photos from 1981 show the amp had two Celestion G12-80 speakers. The amp had brown vinyl and tan grill cloth. In 1983 Stevie was preparing to go on tour with David Bowie but dropped out. Before he decided against touring with Bowie, Bowie's crew took Stevie's Marshall and painted the vinyl black and the grill cloth grey to make it blend in with the other amps in the backline. This amp was traded in after the spring of 1983 or the fall of 1984. Stevie believed the amp to be a 200 watt model, but it is in fact a 100 watt model.

Stevie's Marshall Club And Country

Number 1 with the Marshall

Dumble Steel String Singer 200 watt head with Dumble 4x12 cabinet

Stevie standing with his Dumbles

Stevie's backline circa 1985-1987 - note the pair of Dumbles, the Super Reverb, and the Vibratone on top of the oversized 2x12 cabinet

Marshall Major 200 Watt Heads

Marshall JCM 800 head with Marshall 4x12 cabinet

Fender Bassman Reissue - Stevie did not own a Bassman until 1989, and the amps he owned were reissues. Any Bassman amps used prior to 1989 were on loan amps provided by the venue or aquired prior to gigs as backups. A Bassman amp received heavy use during the In Step sessions however.

Fender Twin - a '62 model was on hand during the In Step sessions.

Soldano SLO 100 - Mike Soldano built Stevie a customized SLO-100 after repairing a few of Stevie's amps. Stevie told Mike that he wasn't happy with the fact that he had to crank his amps to such high volume and use pedals in order to get his overdriven tones. Soldano offered to build an amp for Stevie that would allow him to get his tones from the amp without any overdrive or distortion pedals. The amp that Soldano ended up giving Stevie was a customized SLO-100 with a switch that would cut mid frequencies after 700Hz. The amp was delivered to Stevie a few months before his death. Stevie never had enough time to fully incorporate the new amp into his rig. The amp was returned to Soldano since it was never paid for and therefore not part of Vaughan's estate. Mike Soldano currently keeps the amp in his shop.

Stevie's amp setup for the In Step sessions, which included a JCM 800, a few Dumbles, a Blonde Twin, his original Vibroverbs, and a pair of Marshalls with 8x10 cabinets

Effects

Vox Wah - The Vox logo can be seen at the front of the wah during several performances. From about 1985 until 1987, he also would keep two more Vox wahs on his pedalboard. These two extra wahs had their treadles duct taped together. This dual wah effect was captured on the studio recording of "Say What".

Ibanez TS-808, TS-9 and TS-10 - Stevie upgraded Tube Screamers as Ibanez released newer versions. Cesar Diaz reports that he would swap the chips out for Stevie and often used RC4558 models for lower noise.

Dallas Fuzz Face - This effect can clearly be heard during his performance of "Voodoo Chile" during his 1989 Austin City Limits performance, as well as the solo for "Couldn't Stand The Weather". Cesar Diaz installed matching germanium transistors in Stevie's unit to increase transistor life. The effect had a fairly constant place on Vaughans pedalboard from the mid 80's on.

Tycobrahe Octavia - used briefly from about late '89 until his death.

Mayer Octavia - Can be seen on Vaughan's pedalboard during his 1989 Austin City Limits performance as well. The effect was used for several songs, but can be clearly heard being kicked in and out (by Vaughan's heavy stomping) early in "Voodoo Chile".

Dunlop Univibe - used very briefly before Stevie acquired a Fender Vibratone cabinet.

Fender Vibratone - used for Cold Shot and Couldn't Stand The Weather

Echoplex - Documented in a 1981 equipment manifest.

Custom Splitter Box - This box featured one input and six outputs. There is no preamp or buffer installed in this splitter, but the box does have resistors to cut down on noise.

Stevie with his pedalboard - from left to right...
Vox Wah - Fender Amp Switch - Ibanez TS-10 (possibly) - Amp Switch Box - Fuzz Face - Roger Mayer Octavia

Strings - Stevie used pretty much any strings he could get his hands on. Rene Martinez also confirms that they did not target a specific brand of strings, but that GHS strings were commonly used because they were easy to get. Gauges ranged all the way from .012-.058 sets to .018-.074 sets.
Pedalboard Build
Patch Cable Tutorial
GT-8 Thread
Slide Clinic
7 Way Strat
LP Intonation Mod
My SRV Rig Thread

Last edited by TwoString : 08-22-2007 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:14 AM   #4
Jinskee
FRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-

Well done.

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Jinskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:17 AM   #5
TwoString
AKA Chad

Thanks, but no where near done yet. I'm still preparing information about his amps, effects and Number 1. I'm still hunting for pictures. More info coming tomorrow...I just wanted to get this online so I could edit away from home if I get a chance.
Pedalboard Build
Patch Cable Tutorial
GT-8 Thread
Slide Clinic
7 Way Strat
LP Intonation Mod
My SRV Rig Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 07:59 AM   #6
Kurapica

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoString
Tokai Stratocaster - documented in a 1982 insurance manifest. I cannot find any other information or photographs of this instrument.

Unless I'm horribly horribly wrong, I believe this is the guitar that Stevie is holding on the front of the Texas Flood album.

Also, the ES guitar that he's holding is clearly an Epiphone of some sort. I'm 95% certain that it's an Epiphone Riviera.
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay

Last edited by Kurapica : 08-21-2007 at 08:07 AM.
Kurapica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:34 AM   #7
mr_hankey
also available in 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurapica
Unless I'm horribly horribly wrong, I believe this is the guitar that Stevie is holding on the front of the Texas Flood album.

Yes, you're right.

Here's some more things:
One of his wah's used to belong to Hendrix.
Maybe you should add that Jimmie Vaughan owns nearly all of SRV's gear now.
The two Vibroverbs had consecutive serial numbers, even though he bought them several years apart.

Last edited by mr_hankey : 08-21-2007 at 10:23 AM.
mr_hankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:40 AM   #8
hendriko
Purple is a Fruit

great stuff man!

Whodicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
hendriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:46 AM   #9
mr_hankey
also available in 3D

I'll copy the settings from the other thread:

volume: 6
treble: 6
(middle: 2/3)
bass: 2
reverb: 2

Again, these are not necessarily the settings that SRV used, but they will definitely work well with any strat+fender amp combination. I'd be very surprised if these settings were more than one or two off from SRV's own settings.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:18 AM   #10
Kurapica

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_hankey
The two Vibroverbs had consecutive serial number, even though he bought them several years apart.

I believe they were numbered 12 and 13, but I could very well be wrong here. That's only something I remember reading a year or so back.
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Kurapica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:52 AM   #11
Twevo
Blues = Sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_hankey
I'll copy the settings from the other thread:

volume: 6
treble: 6
(middle: 2/3)
bass: 2
reverb: 2

Again, these are not necessarily the settings that SRV used, but they will definitely work well with any strat+fender amp combination. I'd be very surprised if these settings were more than one or two off from SRV's own settings.

Another note for tone nazis is that he always played his picks upside down, i.e. with the fat part hitting the strings. It sounds stupid but you can definately hear a difference when you do it.
Twevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:57 PM   #12
mr_hankey
also available in 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twevo
Another note for tone nazis is that he always played his picks upside down, i.e. with the fat part hitting the strings. It sounds stupid but you can definately hear a difference when you do it.

Tone...nazis...? That's a new one.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:58 PM   #13
Dirk Gently
Exorcising my angels

There's a Nazi for everything, didn't you know that?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:06 PM   #14
TwoString
AKA Chad

Thanks for all the info. I've got much more to come, including info about his Vibroverbs. I don't have much time today to edit and post the info, but it's coming.

EDITS - I changed the information about the Epiphone Rivera. I wasn't paying attention last night when I found the pic as I was hunting pretty hard for a pic of him playing his ES-335. I've seen it before, so I know it's out there somewhere.

I've got quite a bit of information about the guitars he owned and played before Texas Flood. I'll try to post tonight after work.

About the guitar on the cover of Texas Flood...I've heard that that was a Strat copy, but I've also heard that it was his black Stratocaster as well. I'll try to confirm one way or the other. I've got pictures of him on stage at Antone's playing a black Strat with a maple neck, and the logo on the headstock for sure says Fender.

EDIT...HA, anyone want to start a tone nazi group?
Pedalboard Build
Patch Cable Tutorial
GT-8 Thread
Slide Clinic
7 Way Strat
LP Intonation Mod
My SRV Rig Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 01:36 PM   #15
hendriko
Purple is a Fruit

Quote:

umm...i would, but..uhh, the fact that im german kinda keeps me from joining anything that has the word nazi in it

Whodicted

Quote:
france is laaaaame

Old 08-21-2007, 01:41 PM   #16
Kartman
Samuel in da tub.

This is sort of a nice kick in the face to SlinkyBlue, don't ya think?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:51 PM   #17
eXperiment63

Quote:

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonenazis/
eXperiment63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:00 PM   #18
TwoString
AKA Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendriko
umm...i would, but..uhh, the fact that im german kinda keeps me from joining anything that has the word nazi in it

Apologies...

And I'm not looking for this thread to be a slap in the face to SlinkyBlue, but it really pissed me off when I offered to help him do the research and provide my information to him and he still had no desire to change the thread one bit. There's just so much more to talk about with Stevie than a Strat, Tube Screamer and a Fender amp.
Pedalboard Build
Patch Cable Tutorial
GT-8 Thread
Slide Clinic
7 Way Strat
LP Intonation Mod
My SRV Rig Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 02:09 PM   #19
hendriko
Purple is a Fruit

Quote:
Apologies...

no need man...im taking it with humor

and im joining!

Whodicted

Quote:
france is laaaaame

Old 08-21-2007, 03:15 PM   #20
Rockstar12345
UG Freak

Quote:
Apologies...

And I'm not looking for this thread to be a slap in the face to SlinkyBlue, but it really pissed me off when I offered to help him do the research and provide my information to him and he still had no desire to change the thread one bit. There's just so much more to talk about with Stevie than a Strat, Tube Screamer and a Fender amp.

wat about that milk bottle?
Diamond Memory Lane
Mesa Dual rect.

To Get:
Mesa lonestar [prolly trade my DR for it]
Xotic BB preamp
ISP decimator.
Stephen Designs '59 pups [waiting for them to come]
A new bridge pup.
Rockstar12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: