Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Punk & Ska
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-09-2007, 07:19 PM   #61
Greenfinger182
Drunk Dancin'

Hopefully the new album will build on the amazing instrumental pieces in their first album.

I'm not too hopeful about the lyrics. I know a lot of people seem to think Kalnoky is a great lyricist, and I agree, but only if you're talking about Ska. He's great when it comes to rhyming, but when it comes to deeper meanings the songs are quite shallow, and most of the explanations I see of his songs are just reaching too far, almost to the point where it makes Tom look like he's trying too hard.

Some rhymes were quite awkward in the first album, and the points in the album that Kalnoky went off-key made me cringe. If it's a studio album it seemed like he could nail those notes (you have a lot of tries), but somehow the final cut still included his mistakes.

So my hopes for the new album: Awesome (continued) instrument combinations, lyrics that flow with the song (instead of sounding out-of-time and forced, like the first album did quite often), notes that are all on-key, and, most of all, lyrics that stick true to ska.

Don't get me wrong, I love change, but the first album seemed to be trying too hard to have deeper meanings and insightful thoughts. I've always listened to Ska because of my love for the music, not the lyrics.
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
Greenfinger182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:58 PM   #62
JohnnyGoSka
Life of the Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenfinger182
So my hopes for the new album: Awesome (continued) instrument combinations, lyrics that flow with the song (instead of sounding out-of-time and forced, like the first album did quite often), notes that are all on-key, and, most of all, lyrics that stick true to ska.

Don't get me wrong, I love change, but the first album seemed to be trying too hard to have deeper meanings and insightful thoughts. I've always listened to Ska because of my love for the music, not the lyrics.

Perhaps Kalnoky is just one of the best song writers of the modern era and doesn't want to write songs about "Rude Boys!" or "Pick It UP!" or even the plain old "SKA!" Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy bands who sing about the typical stuff, but I just feel that for Streetlight to start it, would be a step backwards from their uniqueness.
JohnnyGoSka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:11 PM   #63
the glue man
beep

^haha, the first thing that came to my mind was the Toasters. (Two Tone Army, Frankenska, Skaternity, Radiation Skank, Skafinger, Ska Killers)

I don't see the big deal about Kalnoky, he's great at arranging music but the lyrcis aren't the best. They're pretty much the only new-er band that I like, it's like a light of hope in a pitch black cave. They're actually original as well, because the only band I've heard that really sounds like them is Catch 22 (duh). Their songs do tend to get repetitive though.

RECAÍDA

TUMBLR
the glue man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:13 PM   #64
Greenfinger182
Drunk Dancin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusOfSbrbia
I've never noticed anything off-key in the first one.

GreenFinger182, are you referring to Keasbey Nights or Everything Goes Numb?

Everything Goes Numb. Just for a quick example, listen to "We Are the Few." When he goes into the bridge ("This has been the best night of my life"), every time he says "life" he goes off-key. That's the one that really got to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGoSka
Perhaps Kalnoky is just one of the best song writers of the modern era and doesn't want to write songs about "Rude Boys!" or "Pick It UP!" or even the plain old "SKA!" Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy bands who sing about the typical stuff, but I just feel that for Streetlight to start it, would be a step backwards from their uniqueness.

See, that first statement is the one that makes a nerve in my body twitch. When I was reading reviews on here, I saw a UG writer say something similar. Something about Tom being "One of the best songwriters of this generation." Ska is one of my favorite genres of music, but I listen to so many more, and ska has always been a genre I've come to looking for great musical pieces. To tell you the truth, I thought many of the songs on EGN were laughable (when it came to lyrics), especially the constant rhyming of "end" and "friend." Tom has to get the songs into a rhythmic flow rather than what sometimes sounds like mad rambling (this is not innovative and it will not move the genre further).

Believe me, if Kalnoky wrote meaningful lyrics in a rhythmic flow (which I think he was trying to do on the first album, but failed a bit), I could not be happier for the Ska genre. Blending great lyrics with the music I love would be orgasmic, and I truly hope Tom can make that happen. But he definitely did not make it happen with EGN.

I am almost convinced that the people who consider him 'one of this generation's greatest lyricists' have listened to nothing but Ska and Punk their entire lives.

Best of luck to Kalnoky in his future lyrical endeavors. Hopefully he can correct all the mistakes he made on EGN and build on the better lyrical parts of the album.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:44 PM   #65
JohnnyGoSka
Life of the Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenfinger182
Everything Goes Numb. Just for a quick example, listen to "We Are the Few." When he goes into the bridge ("This has been the best night of my life"), every time he says "life" he goes off-key. That's the one that really got to me.

See, that first statement is the one that makes a nerve in my body twitch. When I was reading reviews on here, I saw a UG writer say something similar. Something about Tom being "One of the best songwriters of this generation." Ska is one of my favorite genres of music, but I listen to so many more, and ska has always been a genre I've come to looking for great musical pieces. To tell you the truth, I thought many of the songs on EGN were laughable (when it came to lyrics), especially the constant rhyming of "end" and "friend." Tom has to get the songs into a rhythmic flow rather than what sometimes sounds like mad rambling (this is not innovative and it will not move the genre further).

Believe me, if Kalnoky wrote meaningful lyrics in a rhythmic flow (which I think he was trying to do on the first album, but failed a bit), I could not be happier for the Ska genre. Blending great lyrics with the music I love would be orgasmic, and I truly hope Tom can make that happen. But he definitely did not make it happen with EGN.

I am almost convinced that the people who consider him 'one of this generation's greatest lyricists' have listened to nothing but Ska and Punk their entire lives.

Best of luck to Kalnoky in his future lyrical endeavors. Hopefully he can correct all the mistakes he made on EGN and build on the better lyrical parts of the album.

See, the whole 2 genres of punk and ska are generally new to me (past 6-9 months), And before that I've listened to everything from pop, to classic rock, to blues, to jazz, to grunge, metal, and yes, even country in a younger age. I've been exposed to it all, and I still stand by my statement of Kalnoky being one of the best song writers of the modern era. Name someone who is better, and back it up, and who knows, I may agree with you, that's why I said "one of the best," because opinions always fall into play.

Personally, I put him up there because of lyrics in songs such as "A Moment of Silence" and "They Provide the Paint...". Now, I like most of his lyrical performances, but these are 2 of my favorites, A Moment of Silence simply because of his word selection and the way it all flows, and The Provide the Paint because of the message the lyrics bring out, without coming out and saying it all straight up. Also, he gets song writing points in my mind for his musical composition skills. "If And When We Rise Again" is, in my opinion, a musical masterpiece, and others, such as "Here's to Life," "Dear Sergio," and even "Riding the Fourth Wave," which I'm not sure he wrote as it's an instrumental, but he does write all the horn section in other songs, so I'm assuming he's behind it.

However, like I said earlier, this topic is littered with opportunities for personal opinion to come into play, so there is no winner or loser in the matter. What I do know however, is I just got my tickets to see them in Toronto on the 26th of August, and I am crazy psyched to see them live, hopefully they'll have their new album out by then, and can play some new stuff.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:09 PM   #66
Greenfinger182
Drunk Dancin'

We'll continue this via PM, just because I don't want to clutter this thread arguing about Tom's lyrical stylings. I do have one or two lyricists you may find of interest.

And trust me, I'd be excited to see them live as well.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:29 PM   #67
cecil69
UG's Dead Milkman

If you go to their website it says the album is finished and wrapped, they would announce a release date this month, a HEADLINING tour this month, and they are making a music video! And They would put up song samples this month too.

Rest in peace young nigga, there's a heaven for a G.
cecil69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:36 AM   #68
seannufan
#6, Double 5, 3, 2, 1

I just got my tickets the twenty sixth too. See you there JohnnyGoSka, even though I have absolutely no idea who you are. Oh yeah, and who the hell are they playing with on those added dates? AAA I assume?
Old 08-15-2007, 08:53 AM   #69
JohnnyGoSka
Life of the Party

^Nope, Streetlight's actually headlining this one, so I'm actually happier than if they came with the big tour. They have the Ceremonial Snips opening all their Canadian dates, and The Expos are the other act in Toronto.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:23 PM   #70
Adderall_Ninja

Of course it's going to be the new album. But it'd be even better if they added that they were leaving Victory Records or some ****.

Three Days Grace="I HATE MUH PARENTZ" rock.
Cannibal Corpse="I ATE MUH PARENTZ" rock

Adderall_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:52 PM   #71
Joe-Fish
MOON ROCKS

I hope it's a release date. Keasbey Nights and Everything Goes Numb is growing old on me...
Joe-Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:05 PM   #72
OaklandRaider24
Bat biter

Streetlight is playing a headlining tour with Dan Potthast's side project. The name escapes me... The Stitch Up?
OaklandRaider24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:51 AM   #73
kevkingofthesea
Skanking Pirate

August 13, 2007
We're baaaack... So, where do we begin...
A) New Record... OFFICIALLY DONE AND FINISHED AND WRAPPED!
B) New Record title... To be announced right here, this very month!
C) New Record song samples, to be posted here, this very month!
D) New Record release date, to be posted here, this very month!
E) First official Streetlight music video, more info soon, right here

(From www.streetlightmanifesto.com)

I just check back ocasionally.

Last edited by kevkingofthesea : 08-22-2007 at 12:52 AM. Reason: omission
kevkingofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:58 AM   #74
kevkingofthesea
Skanking Pirate

The other night I was driving home from Knoxville with 4 other people in the car, and every single one of us was belting "Keasbey Nights" the whole way home. It was epic.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:14 AM   #75
kevkingofthesea
Skanking Pirate

Keasbey Nights (Streetlight Version). 1 car full of Ska kids. 1 interstate drive. EPIC.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:36 AM   #76
JohnnyGoSka
Life of the Party

^Did you honestly need to revive all 3 Streetlight threads to say almost the same thing in every one? :P They're awesome, no doubt, but I'm thinking, what can be said throughout 3 threads, could be much more organized and made into a great post in just one of those threads. All forum mumbo-jumbo aside, I'm going to see them in Toronto in 4 days. Anyone else going?
Old 08-23-2007, 02:29 AM   #77
FatKidsOnMopeds</3
my mind is a birdcage

Merged the SM threads. Enjoy.
FatKidsOnMopeds</3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:31 PM   #78
mike2

new cd title: somewhere in the between

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:42 PM   #79
IlikeTheSKA
Respect my conglomerate

Location: I'm from where Nicky Barnes got rich as ****. New Yawk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkingofthesea
Keasbey Nights (Streetlight Version). 1 car full of Ska kids. 1 interstate drive. EPIC.

Real Ska kids don't listen to Streetlight.

They listen to Dekker.
I want to eat your children.
-Mike Tyson
IlikeTheSKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:05 PM   #80
the glue man
beep

And No Doubt listens to Madness

RECAÍDA

TUMBLR
the glue man is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: