Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-13-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
naedauuf

I need your help, pit. It's about quitting a job.

So I have 2 jobs. I have a full time job that I started at over a year ago and a part time job which I started at over 7 years ago, when I was still in high school.

I make good wage at this full time job, but the problem is I get laid off probably 3-4 months of the year (during which I get unemployment cheques, which are still more than my part time job). That's why I kept the part time job. To work during my laid off time and make more (yes unemployment knows I have that job). When I'm working my full time job I work 6am-2pm every Monday-Friday, and then I work 6-230 Sat and Sun at my part time job. 7 days a week I wake up at 5am. I've been working at this art time job for so long that I make top rate (which is a laughable $13.39/h).

That brings me in a $250-$350 paycheck every two weeks. My full time job brings me in around 40k a year. I made $7500 with my part time job last year.

Here's my question: Should I quit my part time job? I literally have no time for anything because I go to bed at like 8pm every single night. Cause I wake up at ****ing 5am every day. I don't have time for any of my hobbies (mountain biking mostly), I don't really do anything other than work. But I make money. That's literally the only benefit. Is it worth it?

Thanks for the advice, guys. I've asked a lot of people and most are saying to just quit, but I still don't know. That'll bring 47k a year to 40k a year which is a decent amount. My part time job basically pays for gas and insurance, which is nice. But my personal life is filled with work. Is that a fair trade-off?

Naedauuf for president people.

naedauuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
guitartaber93
Jackals Bodyguard

Money is necessary, not the goal. Quit that part time job and live your life, man.
guitartaber93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:01 PM   #3
jakesmellspoo
Pervert

i'm the worst person to ask for job advice, but i'll share my opinion anyway:

quit the part time job for now. you can always find another one.

can i ask what you do for either one? because i've been working similar hours doing merchandise flow/stock 4-5 days a week 6-11:30 AM (although i usually get asked to stay until 2) and it's kind of sucking the energy out of me. most of my days off so far have been spent sleeping until mid-afternoon.
It was my first day at a cardboard factory. They told me to remove my piercing. I refused and got sent home with full payment. So my shortest job was 20 minutes.
jakesmellspoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:02 PM   #4
Wormholes
i love your wall

You're the same age as me and already making 40k a year, **** the part time job.
Wormholes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:05 PM   #5
naedauuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesmellspoo
i'm the worst person to ask for job advice, but i'll share my opinion anyway:

quit the part time job for now. you can always find another one.

can i ask what you do for either one? because i've been working similar hours doing merchandise flow/stock 4-5 days a week 6-11:30 AM (although i usually get asked to stay until 2) and it's kind of sucking the energy out of me. most of my days off so far have been spent sleeping until mid-afternoon.

I know what you mean about the energy. My full time job is at a steel forge which is hot, dirty, back breaking work for 8-10 hours a day. My part time job is a vacation in comparison (produce at a grocery store). It just sucks to not be able to unwind. Even if I get 1 day off it's almost like it's just not enough. Like sometimes the grocery store gives me Saturday off. That means I'm tired as **** from the forge on Friday, so I don't go out. But it means I work at 6am on Sunday, so what can I do on Saturday? I gotta be in bed at 8-9pm.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:08 PM   #6
jakesmellspoo
Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by naedauuf
I know what you mean about the energy. My full time job is at a steel forge which is hot, dirty, back breaking work for 8-10 hours a day. My part time job is a vacation in comparison (produce at a grocery store). It just sucks to not be able to unwind. Even if I get 1 day off it's almost like it's just not enough. Like sometimes the grocery store gives me Saturday off. That means I'm tired as **** from the forge on Friday, so I don't go out. But it means I work at 6am on Sunday, so what can I do on Saturday? I gotta be in bed at 8-9pm.

yeah, this is exactly what's been happening to me. (working at a forge sounds like hell tho. possible bad joke intended.)

if i don't have two consecutive days off, i just end up sleeping through most of my one day off.

quit the part time job. you don't need it.
It was my first day at a cardboard factory. They told me to remove my piercing. I refused and got sent home with full payment. So my shortest job was 20 minutes.
jakesmellspoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #7
FrettieMercury
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by naedauuf
I don't really do anything other than work. But I make money. That's literally the only benefit. Is it worth it?

No.
FrettieMercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:20 PM   #8
whywefight
uncoachable; unsociable

Not sure how unemployment works, are you sure that you wouldn't get in trouble for not having that PT job for the 3 or 4 months you're laid off? Jake's right though, you could always get a different part time job if needed.
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:22 PM   #9
TheChaz
The Pit circa 2008

Yeah, I'd say quit the part time job if it's not necessary. Take your weekends off. No point in working yourself to death.
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:24 PM   #10
Bob_Sacamano
UG Board King

Living well and being able to relax is honestly so much more important. Think of it this way: what's that extra money you're making supposed to do? Make you more comfortable, be able to have a little more fun in your spare time, just live better in general right? Is that happening? Is there even room for that to happen? The extra money sounds pretty pointless apart from saving it which you can do anyway.

40k is plenty for a person to live on comfortably. Just don't go crazy, have time for your hobbies and chill. Don't waste ya youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripple07
Who here thinks that theres too many nerds here nowadays. Some day a real rain will come, and clean these streets...
Bob_Sacamano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:28 PM   #11
chev311e
Will do moose stuff for $

Quit the part time job. I make the same as you and it's plenty to do what you want to do. Plus you'll have free time to actually do what you want to do. Any chance of moving up/ making more money in your full time?

chev311e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:37 PM   #12
VillainousLatin
That Latino Guy

I would be super depressed if I only worked for money and didn't have time to enjoy life. To be honest you're probably much more hard working than me, so I don't know if that affects my decision to not work every minute that I can. But seriously, if you need the extra money too badly don't quit. If you don't really need it apart from having extra money which is nice I would quit since extra money is less valuable than happiness and time, at least in my book.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #13
JustRooster
Organ Donor

I would just ask if you could go seasonal with that part time job and work during your layoff periods? There's not need to completely sever the bridge, just close it off to traffic when you don't need it. Most jobs that have loyalty to their employees would do this without issue. Part Timers hardly factor into the labor cost when it comes to payroll in comparison the whole.
Love is blind, and probably missing a few other senses, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
If I had the money, I wouldn't be posting links to sales, I'd be posting NGDs!

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:47 PM   #14
SMH07
Haters, dismissed.

Quit. I'm sure if you find that you need the money at a later date, it won't be that hard to find another part time job. Working early starts every day is depressing as ****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
I would just ask if you could go seasonal with that part time job and work during your layoff periods?

This is also a good shout if its possible for you.

The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
SMH07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:57 PM   #15
naedauuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev311e
Quit the part time job. I make the same as you and it's plenty to do what you want to do. Plus you'll have free time to actually do what you want to do. Any chance of moving up/ making more money in your full time?

After 6500 hours (about 3 years give or take a few months) I'll be making about $10/h more.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:00 PM   #16
naedauuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
I would just ask if you could go seasonal with that part time job and work during your layoff periods? There's not need to completely sever the bridge, just close it off to traffic when you don't need it. Most jobs that have loyalty to their employees would do this without issue. Part Timers hardly factor into the labor cost when it comes to payroll in comparison the whole.

Well with this place they're pretty much dead in the water because of Wal-Mart. The company is phasing out full time jobs totally (only way they ca do that is never promote anyone else to full time ever and wait for the current full timers to retire/quit) and automating everything else so an idiots can do it. They hire part timers at 8 hours a week. It's brutal. I was actually going to quit when I got my full time job, but the manager of the store said we can work something out (meaning me working 1 day a week). I'm actually obligated to work 3 nights a week and 1 day. So them giving me 1 day a week to work is the best I could do. Part timers are pretty much their life blood at this point. It's either quit or continue working. Can't cut my work time any more than I have.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:02 PM   #17
FrettieMercury
Banned

Just embrace your life/youth, dude.
FrettieMercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:07 PM   #18
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

Is that 40K over the 8-9 months? God damn dude quit the other job

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic

Last edited by ProphetToJables : 03-13-2015 at 04:08 PM.
ProphetToJables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:16 PM   #19
EndTheRapture51
Taylor Swift apologist

Quit the part time job, or ask for less hours or a contract that suits you.

No point in having money if you're tired all the time and don't have any spare time.

\_(ツ)_/

I hate Taylor Swift
EndTheRapture51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:58 PM   #20
aerosmithfan95
Call me Billy.

Personally, I'd quit the part-time job. I don't know what the cost of living is up north in Canada, but here in the states, 40K is more than enough for one person to live off of.

Guitar --> Pedals --> Amplifier
aerosmithfan95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: