Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-26-2008, 05:43 PM   #81
jerm__

Not that i have one but heres a picture of one that we used when my band recorded our demo!

Its the Invader 150 mmm mmm mmm
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
jerm__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:29 PM   #82
Jinskee
FRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
^ yeah, i have.

for other options, i mean things like vht, soldano, splawn, bogner, rivera, mesa etc. etc. etc.

Your opinion, Dave--let me hear it!

I've tried that new 2343 channeled vht--really didn't like the sound of it. It just sounded too raw/dry. The Jcm 800 Kerry King Head sounded much better, in my opinion.

So for brutal rythym chunks and great leads/good cleans, what would you recommend out of the soldano, splawn, bogner, and rivera?

Thanks Dave.

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Jinskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:18 PM   #83
jerm__

^I know that question was directed to Dave, i'll put my input in however, because im bored hah.

I would look into Soldano's Avenger/SLO
Splawn Nitro
Bogner Uberschall
Rivera Knuckelhead

Dave will probably give better advice but thats my 2 cents haha
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
UG Gain Whore
Old 05-26-2008, 08:23 PM   #84
Jinskee

In the price range between 1,400 and 1,700 USD ._.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Old 05-26-2008, 08:36 PM   #85
jerm__

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinskee
In the price range between 1,400 and 1,700 USD ._.

I would look into ENGL's Fireball. If you could stretch out another 200, you could go for a Powerball.
UG Gain Whore
Old 05-27-2008, 09:38 AM   #86
egildea

ENGL build quality is supposed to be fantastic. anyone here have any trouble with them yet?

Last edited by egildea : 05-27-2008 at 09:46 AM.
egildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:44 AM   #87
egildea

Just got myself a engl classic combo 2x10". Fantastic amp. love the sound. got a gt8 (the wankatron) and I just reduce the level of it to virtually nothing and then drive the valves of the engl up to near max power and the sound is the best sound ive got. ive previously owned fender twin, marshall mg100dfx, crappy solid state fender amps. Its as lively and reactive a sound as Ive ever got and soooo close to my ideal sound. still gonna try a hot rod deville in a few years though. havent tried the fx loop, nor the second channel. dont need to. keep it simple stupid. spose its a pity that ive introduced the wankatron into the equation. my guitars are G&L Legacy, Gibson ES347, Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster. The G&L has the best sound of all, well, its a close second to the ES347.
egildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:04 PM   #88
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinskee
Your opinion, Dave--let me hear it!

I've tried that new 2343 channeled vht--really didn't like the sound of it. It just sounded too raw/dry. The Jcm 800 Kerry King Head sounded much better, in my opinion.

So for brutal rythym chunks and great leads/good cleans, what would you recommend out of the soldano, splawn, bogner, and rivera?

Thanks Dave.

jerm already posted some good options, though some might be too dear.

fireball is probably worth a look for that. problem is a lot of the high gain amps mightn't have too nice cleans, and the ones with nice cleans mightn't have as good distortion... it's kind of a balancing act. for example, if you ask me, the soldano avenger sounds better than the fireball, but doesn't have the fireball's cleans... i haven't tried the uberschall, nitro or rivera...

blackmore versus fireball: the blackmore covers more ground, but doesn't get as heavy or modern-sounding as the fireball (which is pretty much cleans and modern metal without much in-between).

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #89
jerm__

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
jerm already posted some good options, though some might be too dear.

fireball is probably worth a look for that. problem is a lot of the high gain amps mightn't have too nice cleans, and the ones with nice cleans mightn't have as good distortion... it's kind of a balancing act. for example, if you ask me, the soldano avenger sounds better than the fireball, but doesn't have the fireball's cleans... i haven't tried the uberschall, nitro or rivera...

blackmore versus fireball: the blackmore covers more ground, but doesn't get as heavy or modern-sounding as the fireball (which is pretty much cleans and modern metal without much in-between).
Dave is right. You need to figure out what you want to sacrifice. Either you get a good around amp that does everything decently, or you get an amazing with amazing cleans and distortion but everything else in the middle is so-so.
UG Gain Whore
Old 05-27-2008, 12:51 PM   #90
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

er....

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:59 PM   #91
DarkPsychedelia

Hey guys. Sorry to interrupt the debate, but I came across an Engl Straight model, and I haven't been able to find much information about it anywhere. I read the manual on Engl's site, and read the few reviews they had on Harmony Central, but I've never heard of anyone using it. Have any of you guys heard it or used it before? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you!
DarkPsychedelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #92
DarkPsychedelia

Old 05-27-2008, 04:41 PM   #93
DarkPsychedelia

I asked in the ENGL forum, and i got this answer:

"Herman Frank(Accept, Victory, Sinner...) used it during his Victory days alot.
STRAIGHT ENGL sound, maybe more in the ENGL Blackmore area.
It sounds like a really good(!) tuned Soldano SLO, or a modded(to the limit) JCM800.
Listen to the Victory stuff (Rhythm parts)."

Sounds like it'll be a nice amp!
Old 05-27-2008, 05:08 PM   #94
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

if it's anything like a blackmore, it's probably pretty nice. not too sure how much it's like the slo (i've only tried the avenger), but a modded jcm800 isn't far off (for the blackmore).

er....

Quote:
Old 05-27-2008, 05:17 PM   #95
Mad_BOB

Ahoy there, I'm afraid i come with questions for you lucky Engl owners.

I've got my sights set on an ENGL as my next purchase, probably in a month or 2, depending on exactly which i decide to buy. At the moment, i only play for fun or recording, alone, so when i noticed that the E530 is well within my budget, i figured it would be a good idea, as i wouldn't have to worry about the space taken up by a cab (i'm at uni) or volume, and then only investing in a poweramp and cab when i actually need it. But i've started to wonder, might i be better off saving up more money and getting a head/cab or a combo instead? My bank account makes me tend towards the preamp, but would it really be the best choice?

I'm after something that can cover 'decent' (as in, not 'bad') cleans, and distorted tones from 80's metal (Rust In Piece, Powerslave) through to completely saturated new millenium power metal tones (think Sonata Arctica, Hammerfall) which are fairly bright, but also handle darker tones (tho not much, think Nightwish, or Demons & Wizards). Will the E530 do all that i need, and if something else would be a better investment, what would you guys recommend?
Mad_BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:41 AM   #96
DarkPsychedelia

Yea. I took a chance and bought the amp for only 470 including shipping and handling (USD). I guess not many people bid on it because they hadn't heard of it. Sounds like it'll be pretty sweet. If not, I'm sure I can find someone who will want it. It was originally worth 1200 apparently, so I think I can get some money out of it if I don't like it for some reason. I'm expecting to like it though. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-28-2008, 02:30 AM   #97
elchico04

i have the E530 and have coupled it with a vht 2502.

the E530 will get you all of your metals tones you need. It has so much gain. I never put mine higher than 3!

Also the E530 gives you pretty good results if you want to do some direct recording. I'll upload a clip if you want me to.
Mesa 2x12
elchico04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:50 AM   #98
Jinskee

Thanks Jerm and Dave.

Aye, I hate having to sacrfice things! Is the fireball able to produce good lead tones, though? That's what I'm mainly worried about. Also, people have been comparing the Fireball to the 5150--what's up with that?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Old 05-28-2008, 04:39 AM   #99
howey

Hey guys,
What do you think of the thunder 50 watt head ?
I'd be using it for Modern Metal (god forbid, as i lay dying, unearth) and also some old school melodic death metal. I also like cleans but they don't really need to be anything special. The crunch channel will almost never get used.
So how would it be for the things I'm after ?
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
howey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:39 AM   #100
Mad_BOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchico04
i have the E530 and have coupled it with a vht 2502.

the E530 will get you all of your metals tones you need. It has so much gain. I never put mine higher than 3!

Also the E530 gives you pretty good results if you want to do some direct recording. I'll upload a clip if you want me to.

A clip would be awesome, i've never heard it direct before
Mad_BOB is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: