Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Bands & Artists Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-10-2007, 03:48 PM   #1
GD_GC
Master of the Blues Duels

Blues AOTM: Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble "Couldn't Stand the Weather"

Well it's time again for the blues and jazz fourm Album of the Month. I took it upon myself to write up the review this time, and I picked one of my personal favorites. Filled with scorching licks and smoldering slow blues, even a Hendrix cover, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble's sophmore alubm "Couldn't Stand the Weather" has it all. My choice of album to review may seem a little cliche, but it appeals to a wide range of listeners, and contains a lot of rock based material. So its a good starting point for a new blues fan. The album was released in the '80s as a follow up to the outstanding "Texas Flood," and it really showed us who this Stevie Ray was. A hot video on MTV for the title track, and he was here. A blues god had arrived, in the form of Stevie Ray Vaughan.

"Couldn't Stand the Weather" has many striking differences to the trio's debut, "Texas Flood." First off, they had PLENTY of studio time, as opposed to the quick, one day recording of "Texas Flood." This resulted in a slicker, more studio-ish feeling album. There were more production tricks here, several of the tracks have 2 or 3 guitars, an organ was added, and it just has a different feel. "Texas Flood" was recorded in the style of a club show, and most of the tracks were recorded live, with only a few vocal tracks overdubbed. This time, you can tell it is a studio album, and it has less of that "true blues" club show feel to it. But don't get me wrong, it still has some fine, fine blues. Secondly, the band at this point was pretty deep into drugs. And according to some behind the scenes, this was taking quite a toll. It was harder to get the band to focus, since they had all the time, and drugs for that matter, in the world. Although the effect of the drugs were felt, the band had yet to reach their low point, and all in all, a great album was released. It continues to sell to this day and live on in the collections of blues lovers everywhere.

Next up is a track by track review of this blues classic.

1.) Scuttle Buttin':
Scorching licks, and some of the faster blues we've heard Stevie, Tommy, and Chris pull off. Centered around a 12 bar blues in E, SRV lets off a fury of blues licks at a frantic pace. The track starts with the theme, following the chords in blues lick insanity, and you think to yourself, "can it get any crazier?" Oh but it does, and Stevie launches into a solo, and you are thrown backwords out of your seat in a whirlwind of blues fury. Cheesey analogies aside, a great track that showcases some great playing, and is over way too soon.

2.) Couldn't Stand the Weather:
The title track, featuring brother Jimmy Vaughan, shows us a more rock oriented, even funk-like side of the trio. A great track, but not my favorite track on the album. Although it is an amazing song, I do prefer Stevie's more "true blues" stuff to this, and I listened to this song way toomuch when I first got the album, and I got sick of it The lyrics are a little hard to understand, but the playing in the solo is fantastic, with a great tone achived via tubescreamer. The main riff involving the tritones is fantastic as well. This is much different than previous SRV material, but one of his bigger hits, and a must listen.

3.)The Things That I Used To Do:
A cover of an old blues song, this is one of my personal favorite songs on the album. It features an organ, something different. Some listeners looking for more of a rock edge may not enjoy this track as much, but it is a solid slow blues. The licks in the solo are decent, a little differnt from normal SRV. But during the verses, the licks he lets loose are nothing short of astounding. Another must listen on this album.

4.)Voodoo Chile:
The infamous Hendrix cover. Good? Bad? You can make the call. The playing on the song is great, with more of a blues feel than the Hendrix original, while still staying true to the real song. Voodoo Child has never been a personal favorite of mine, but Stevie's Voodoo Chile does not dissapoint in terms of guitar skills. You can make the call on your own about wheather or not you think a Hendrix cover belongs on an album, though.

5.)Cold Shot:
Another hit track, getting the band some radio airplay. This one features the famous roatary effect, and was recorded in a single take at 4 in the morning. I enjoy this track, although it isn't my all time favorite on this album. This is an example of the studio feel this album gives as opposed to "Texas Flood." You don't hear anything like this on that album, and I think it adds a great touch to "Could'nt Stand the Weather." The solo is classic Stevie, and the band is rock solid throughout. Check out the music video for this track, its quite humourous.

6.)Tin Pan Alley:
Ah, here it is. My favorite track on the album, and perhaps my favorite SRV song in general. Again, those who are not slow blues fans might want to stay away, because it is a smoldering slow blues clocking in at over 9 minutes. The playing in the intro is very tasteful, and the storyline in the lyrics will keep you captivitated throughout. Another must listen, in my opnion, but be prepared for the slow blues!

7.)Honey Bee:
In the style of "Pride and Joy," this track is more reminecent of "Texas Flood." It has the same chords, but does not follow the structure of a 12 bar blues. This gives it a different feel, and I really like this track as well. Some fantastic fast blues playing by Stevie, and Tommy's bass really jumps out at you on this one. A great track, and a little bit of a return to what the band have done in the past.

8.) Stang's Swang:
Wow, this one is different, in a very good way. This one, as the title may imply, swings, and it is great. The drumming by Chris is great, and Stevie's jazz tone is refreshing. The sax adds such a cool element to the song, and SRV provdes some great jazz licks. A different track, and if you like this, check out Chitlins Con Carne, another SRV classic in this style. A great way to close a great album in my opinion.

So that's it, "Couldn't Stand the Weather," by Stevie Ray Vaughan, Tommy "Slut" Shannon, and Chris "The Whipper" Layton, AKA Double Trouble. A great album by a great trio. Thanks for reading, RIP SRV, and any comments or suggestions, just contact me.

Discuss!
Old 09-10-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
matt92l
not a registered user....

Great album i prefare texas flood but thats just me
Great review by the way you really put some time into it
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
Old 09-10-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
GD_GC

thanks man. yea texas flood is a great album
Old 09-10-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
dr_john
yer blues

thanks for a great review GD, although i am fairly well familiar with the album (as i am with all SRV's albums) there were some interesting items that i was not aware of.

voodoo chile? not by any means my favourite track, to me it doesn't really work in the same way that the other tracks do, i must confess i often skip over this one. i would much prefer SRV doing original stuff. same goes for his cover of little wing on 'the sky is crying' album, brilliant technique but somehow not the same feeling as the hendrix original.

i see you are from cincinnati - great place, i lived there in the early 90's for a couple of years and have fond memories. i get back there occasionally but not as often as i would like.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:16 PM   #5
GD_GC

thanks man, and yea cinci is cool, wouldnt be my first choice of a place to live. but its decent.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:33 AM   #6
Encore_God
UG Legend

Good review, but why does a Hendrix cover not belong on an album?

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:41 AM   #7
Miggy01
UG's Journey Fan

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...earch&plindex=5
this version of voodoo chile is much better IMO
good review of a great album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:35 AM   #8
GD_GC

^wow that really is a fantastic verson thanks for sharing that
Old 09-22-2007, 12:37 PM   #9
isuckhardcore
I WILL EAT YOUR HEART

After reading this I flipped it on, listening to Couldn't Stand the Weather right now, great great song.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:17 PM   #10
HawkaLuigi
UG Senior Citizen

+1 GD brotha. I love this album so much!
Old 09-22-2007, 04:36 PM   #11
VR2005
UG Addict

Nice album review. I've got to ask the B & J community though, is there ever gonna be a Jazz AOTM?

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
Old 09-22-2007, 04:55 PM   #12
HawkaLuigi
UG Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR2005
Nice album review. I've got to ask the B & J community though, is there ever gonna be a Jazz AOTM?

You're demooded?

I'll do one in a few months if Andrew and Jasper don't mind.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #13
matt92l
not a registered user....

Quote:

id be happy to do one as well so maybe if we ask nicely.......
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
Old 09-22-2007, 05:49 PM   #14
VR2005
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkaLuigi
You're demooded?

I'll do one in a few months if Andrew and Jasper don't mind.

Yeah, I resigned a week ago or so.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
Old 09-22-2007, 05:54 PM   #15
HawkaLuigi
UG Senior Citizen

Quote:
Yeah, I resigned a week ago or so.

You're never on AIM. I still want to do a jam with you.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:40 AM   #16
Confusius
UG Nerd

Ah, Stangs Swang is such a great track, it just demonstrates Stevie's ability and creativity. Imagine if he were to be alive now? He would be an amazing jazz guitarist.

Call me Kyrl, pronounced Curl

DOIN DAT FUNKY DANCE
Old 10-03-2007, 07:56 PM   #17
GD_GC

thanks for all the replies guys. And yea a jazz album review would be nice, but i really coudlnt do it. I was thinking about writing up another review for Eric Clapton's "From the Cradle." But a jazz one would be nice too.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:50 AM   #18
motley_man101

Stevie Ray Vaughan Is The Greatest Guitar Player That Ever F****** Lived.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:10 PM   #19
GD_GC

yea he is a great guitarist
Old 10-05-2007, 03:00 PM   #20
mustaine34
blues man

Anything SRV is worth a listen.

Rate This Thread: