Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Bands & Artists Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-24-2007, 12:26 PM   #21
gtturboowner

voodo chile is the best song in the world
Old 11-24-2007, 12:27 PM   #22
gtturboowner

do you agree?
Old 11-24-2007, 12:44 PM   #23
GD_GC
Master of the Blues Duels

a good one, but certainly not the best
Old 11-24-2007, 04:58 PM   #24
gtturboowner

texas flood is another that can compete but pride and joy is another possibility
Old 11-24-2007, 04:59 PM   #25
gtturboowner

pride and joy?
Old 12-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #26
JilaX^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encore_God
Good review, but why does a Hendrix cover not belong on an album?

It's more of a live/concert thing

And Couldn't Stand The Weather is Stevie's best album by far, for me.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:16 PM   #27
SuburbanCowboy
Hear My Train A Comin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JilaX^
It's more of a live/concert thing

Since when?
Let it be, it aint me

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSpiderKing
Old 12-15-2007, 11:46 PM   #28
JilaX^

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanCowboy
Since when?

Since ever?

A lot of artists then to do them live, if you ask me that's the way it's been. I mean, how many covers are there that have actually been on albums, and not just live dvds?
Old 12-16-2007, 02:43 PM   #29
SuburbanCowboy
Hear My Train A Comin'

Quote:
Since ever?

A lot of artists then to do them live, if you ask me that's the way it's been. I mean, how many covers are there that have actually been on albums, and not just live dvds?

Are you serious?? We're talkin about BLUES, man!! It's hard to think of a good blues album that doesn't have any covers on it.
Let it be, it aint me

Old 12-16-2007, 02:45 PM   #30
GD_GC
Master of the Blues Duels

Quote:
Are you serious?? We're talkin about BLUES, man!! It's hard to think of a good blues album that doesn't have any covers on it.

Agreed, blues is all about covers. But I will agree that a Hendrix cover will show up in a blues repitore (sp?) more often live than on an album. Buddy Guy and SRV come to mind.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:14 PM   #31
JilaX^

Quote:

I know, however Hendrix covers is another thing entirely!

I was talking about Hendrix covers there, not regular covers, sorry for writing silly things
Old 12-17-2007, 01:23 PM   #32
SuburbanCowboy
Hear My Train A Comin'

Quote:
I know, however Hendrix covers is another thing entirely!

Again... why?

If Hendrix is an artist who influenced you, then I see no reason why you wouldnt want to honor him on your album. I don't understand why you're setting rules about what should be played live and what should go on a studio album. Rules have no place in art.
Let it be, it aint me

Old 12-17-2007, 03:22 PM   #33
JilaX^

Well, I dunno why. But you have to admit that doing Hendrix covers on an album really isn't that common, yet a -LOT- of artists do it live...
Old 12-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #34
SuburbanCowboy
Hear My Train A Comin'

Quote:
Well, I dunno why. But you have to admit that doing Hendrix covers on an album really isn't that common, yet a -LOT- of artists do it live...

First of all, covers in general are much more common in a live setting. Why would Hendrix be any different? But there's still tons of people who've covered Hendrix on studio albums. You've convinced me that you dont know a whole lot about Jimi Hendrix and the depth of his musical influence.

You're trying so hard to make a fact out of what is essentially your opinion of whats acceptable for artist to do with their career. So you think that people should only cover Hendrix live? Awesome. Thanks for sharing your opinion.
Let it be, it aint me

Old 12-17-2007, 04:18 PM   #35
JilaX^

Quote:
First of all, covers in general are much more common in a live setting. Why would Hendrix be any different? But there's still tons of people who've covered Hendrix on studio albums. You've convinced me that you dont know a whole lot about Jimi Hendrix and the depth of his musical influence.

You're trying so hard to make a fact out of what is essentially your opinion of whats acceptable for artist to do with their career. So you think that people should only cover Hendrix live? Awesome. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Well, you're right that covers are much more common in a live setting, yet you seem to be contradicting yourself here

"Are you serious?? We're talkin about BLUES, man!! It's hard to think of a good blues album that doesn't have any covers on it."

And I am very aware what an influence Jimi Hendrix, had on music, however I think that it's more of an influence that is there in every players music, rather then heaps of people going around putting his songs on their albums... E.g it's much more common to honor him by snatching a lick or two, and playing in his style, than covering his songs.

And for the record, my opinion is that anyone should be allowed to cover anyone they want. In any setting they want to.

That hendrix covers tend to come up a lot live, yet not so often on albums, is a fact. Not an opinion.

Last edited by JilaX^ : 12-17-2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:38 PM   #36
SuburbanCowboy
Hear My Train A Comin'

Quote:
Well, you're right that covers are much more common in a live setting, yet you seem to be contradicting yourself here

"Are you serious?? We're talkin about BLUES, man!! It's hard to think of a good blues album that doesn't have any covers on it."

And I am very aware what an influence Jimi Hendrix, had on music, however I think that it's more of an influence that is there in every players music, rather then heaps of people going around putting his songs on their albums... E.g it's much more common to honor him by snatching a lick or two, and playing in his style, than covering his songs.

And for the record, my opinion is that anyone should be allowed to cover anyone they want. In any setting they want to.

That hendrix covers tend to come up a lot live, yet not so often on albums, is a fact. Not an opinion.

I love how you keep defining what's "common" and what isnt. You should write a book, since you are obviously the authority on the subject.

I also think you should find a dictionary and look up the word contradiction. I have not contradicted myself in any way.

I just looked at your profile and noticed you're only 16. Not to be a dick, but that really explains a lot. Your logic is filled with holes and every time I point that out to you, your next post makes more assumptions and even less sense.

I've been on these boards long enough to know when its worth arguing with someone. However, this just isn't one of those times. Hopefully, once you mature a bit more, you'll have a more open outlook on music and wont set definitions for things that are purely subjective. But hey, I was 16 once too and thought I knew everything...
Let it be, it aint me

Old 12-18-2007, 04:39 AM   #37
JilaX^

Quote:
I love how you keep defining what's "common" and what isnt. You should write a book, since you are obviously the authority on the subject.

I also think you should find a dictionary and look up the word contradiction. I have not contradicted myself in any way.

I just looked at your profile and noticed you're only 16. Not to be a dick, but that really explains a lot. Your logic is filled with holes and every time I point that out to you, your next post makes more assumptions and even less sense.

I've been on these boards long enough to know when its worth arguing with someone. However, this just isn't one of those times. Hopefully, once you mature a bit more, you'll have a more open outlook on music and wont set definitions for things that are purely subjective. But hey, I was 16 once too and thought I knew everything...

What you doubt I know everything?

As I'm sixteen I clearly have enough life experience to know everything
But yeah, it definitely a typical asset for a sixteen year old to think that he knows everything, and be a dick about it. It's just how I raised, so I can't really switch it on or off

And I do definitely know the meaning of the word contradiction, thank you

Anyways, what I've written earlier was sort of incoherent and full of flaws, I'm very well aware, I'll blame that on me being a dumbass when I sleep less then six hours during a night. (Damn you silly sleep patterns!)

And while I do make assumptions, you clearly do as well. E.g for some reason you think that I feel people shouldn't be covering Jimi Hendrix on albums, quite to the contrary I support this 100%. I love pretty much all of his songs (that I've heard at least.) and to hear other peoples take on his songs can be very interesting. But imo playing them almost note for note on an album seems pointless and more like laziness than actually tributing him. But when you also do your own thing on it, then it's probably going to be awesome!

And well, how many albums with Hendrix covers on it can you think of? Just saying y'know...
Old 12-18-2007, 12:48 PM   #38
SuburbanCowboy
Hear My Train A Comin'

Quote:

And well, how many albums with Hendrix covers on it can you think of? Just saying y'know...

Derek and the Dominoes - Little Wing (Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs)
SRV - Voodoo Child (Couldn't Stand the Weather)
Eric Gales - Foxey Lady (That's What I Am)
Patti Smith - Are You Experienced? (Twelve)
Richard Lloyd - Bold As Love (Radiant Monkey)
John Mayer - Bold As Love (Continuum)
Frank Marino - All Along The Watchtower (Tales Of The Unexpected)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Fire (Mother's Milk)
Sting - Little Wing (Nothing Like The Sun)
Concrete Blonde - Little Wing (Still In Hollywood)
George Lynch - All Along The Watchtower (Furious George)
Paul Gilbert - Red House (Gilbert Hotel)
King's X - Manic Depression (Dogman)
Living Colour - Burning Of The Midnight Lamp (Biscuits)
Booker T And The MG's - Foxey Lady (Soul Limbo)
Kenny Wayne Shepard - I Dont Live Today (Trouble Is..)
Skid Row - Little Wing (B-Side Ourselves)
Walter Trout - Red House (Life In The Jungle)
Yngwie Malmsteen - Spanish Castle Magic (Inspiration)
Ben Harper - Voodoo Child (Both Sides Of The Gun)
Jamie Cullum - The Wind Cries Mary (Twentysomething)

These are just the ones I found while searching my hard drive. I'm sure if I searched the internet, there'd be hundreds more. And if Hendrix Tribute albums count, then we can add a few more dozen tracks to the list (hey, they're studio albums after all). But just for the record... about 75% of these covers suck.
Let it be, it aint me

Old 12-18-2007, 02:05 PM   #39
JilaX^

No tribute albums are another thing entirely.

And Yngwie Malmsteen? Playing the blues? God no. Just no.

Did you hear him on G3 playing Voodo chile with Steve Vai and Satriani? He actually made one of my favorite guitar based songs boring, I couldn't even believe it. They also did Little Wing there. Satriani and Vai start of doing some really cool stuff, Vai doing some jazzier things and Satriani doing some really cool bluesy stuff.

Malmsteen just standing there I think. He managed to not go crazy and shred for 40 SECONDS! Then he couldn't keep it in and filled up like a 3 second gap with 500 notes. Me and my cousin almost pissed our pants laughing.

And hmm, I guess there are quite a lot

But, his style of playing has affected all of us, and we've all been influenced by him. Almost every electric guitarist out there has. And imho, that's where the most of his legacy is placed... Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #40
justsam
Tepid like a fox

It's a smashing album.

Rate This Thread: