Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Rock & Indie
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
JackalSlayer13

Feeling conflicted as to which of Pearl Jam's studio albums I should buy.

I don't know if I should bother posting this, though I feel a little bit strange posting here now, as I haven't actually made any real use of a guitar in at least about 3 years, though I am at least skilled enough to say I can play, and I have a bit of knowlege of music theory, so this site/forum seemed like the best place to get musical recommendations from (if I annoy anyone with that presumption, I apologize in advance however).

With that said, as my title states, I've recently been deliberating over buying one of Pearl Jam's studio albums... The only one I own currently is Ten, and I'm really partial to at least half the album's tracks, and I don't think anything on the album is worse than mediocre, hence me thinking I'd probably enjoy at least one of their other studio albums. Based off a lot of what I've read though, it seems as if there is next to nothing in the way of consistency of quality with reference to a lot of their other albums, as beyond their second they started experimenting with a really eclectic array of genres, so they really aren't strictly encompassed by the definitions rock and/or alternative anymore...

I own two of their live albums with all that said too; with reference to "Live on Two Legs", the only tracks I'm really all that partial to that aren't off "Ten" are: "Elderly Woman...", "Go", "Red Mosquito", "Nothingman" and "Better Man". As two pairs of all of those tracks are off "Vs" and "Vitalogy", I've narrowed down my next purchase to one of the two of them; I'm leaning towards buying "Vs" first (if not exclusively) as of the four of the tracks I'd previously referenced I'm probably most partial to "Elderly Woman", and from what I've read it's definitely more of a definitive rock album as opposed to "Vitalogy" (this is nothing but speculation on my part, though I'd also think it's a bit more stylistically similar to "Ten" simplly due to it being its direct successor too).

If that's important to reference, what I'm probably most partial to with reference to "Ten" as a whole is the quality of the bass, as the basslines are generally well composed IMO, and they often really mesh well with that of the guitar's melodies without either overshadowing or being overshadowed by them, which is generally rare per my own experience.

If anyone thinks I would enjoy Vitalogy more based off what I've granted of my own preferences though, feel free to let me know... I don't think this much will prove very likely, though if they also think I'd enjoy another album, or shouldn't bother to buy any of their other albums, I'm receptive to them telling me that too... Thanks in advance!
JackalSlayer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:07 AM   #2
JAHellraiser

Listen to them online, figure out which one you like the most and buy it.
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:40 AM   #3
JackalSlayer13

Based off my experience with amazon's means to play samples, the exposition thereof doesn't really give the greatest portrayal of a track's general quality... If you were implying I should acquire the tracks by less honest means, recently I've been trying to cease doing that for both moral and practical reasons, so I'd really prefer a recommendation assuming you do have a preference...
JackalSlayer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
Bob_Sacamano
UG Board King

Listen to them on Spotify then, perfectly legal and moral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Bob_Sacamano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
JAHellraiser

or youtube. people upload the songs separately or as the whole album.
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
frankv
Her?

I'll just say that Vs. and Yield are pretty much their best albums. Vs being the more aggressive option and Yield the melodic one (although tracks like Brain of J and Do the Evolution are kickass rock songs). Since you're looking to choose between Vs and Vitalogy and you're a big Ten fan, I heartily suggest Vs.

I like all of their albums and Vitalogy is no exception, but it just sounds like you'd like Vs more.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
Toadvine
Obviously, not a golfer

Listen to Frank, Frank knows.

I would also say Yield or Vrs., No Code also has some great tracks, as does Lost Dogs. Lost Dogs actually has plenty of B-sides off Ten, try Breath, Yellow Ledbetter, Wash, Footsteps, Alone, and Brother.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
frankv
Her?

Aye, Lost Dogs too is excellent.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
iwannabesedated
King Sombrero

Vs.
iwannabesedated is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: