Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
bigajvigs

Laney Ironheart or Peavey 6505(+)

Been awhile since I have been on here...

Ive been saving and time for a new amp after going through a few different ones. I was set on either a 6505 or 6505+ then I came across the Laney Ironheart 120.

I dont know much about Laney but after looking up videos of them I am liking the Ironheart a lot. Esp. after reading Adam D from Killswitch just was endorsed by them and is now using the Ironheart.

What does everyone think? The Laney is new this year so how do you think it will stand up against the 6505?
Old 03-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Word I have been hearing is it a little more clear, the note articulation is better, but it has the same chunk as a 6505

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
matt360
Unregistered User

6505+ is probably my favorite amp and i don't even own one haha. its amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
matt360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

I liked the Ironheart much, much more than the 6505. It does metal really well at a lot less of the price and doesn't have that distinct "fizziness" the 6505 has. So many more options for EQing and tone shaping. Though bring your own boost, the built in one is poopy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
bigajvigs

I dont have a chance to go out and try either amp as I am currently in training, but I am seriously about to buy either the Peavey or Laney and have it shipped home. So for the money, as they are both about the same, what would you throw down on?
Old 03-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

My list of pros and cons, don't take it as gospel because it's my opinion.

Ironheart
Pro's:
More controls for EQ, much wider range of sounds.
Great clean and distortion channel.
Built in attenuation.
Not overly expensive.
Great layout.

Con's:
Control knobs feel tad flimsy.
Built in boost isn't the best.

Pro's:
Simplicity.
5 Year warranty.
Sensitive EQ.
Lots of gain on tap.

Con's:
General fizziness on lead channel without cranking.
Overly sensitive volume (could be a good thing).

If I had to make a choice today, I would pick an Ironheart.

Quote:
Old 03-10-2012, 11:46 PM   #7
bigajvigs

Do you think it could nail tones ala The Ghost Inside, August Burns Red, Parkway Drive, and such? Thats the style of music I like to play and I know most of those bands use the 6505+ but if the Lionheart can nail the tone just as well and have a usuable clean channel too, so be it Lionheart it shall be.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #8
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

I dislike when people say "Can it give me this bands tone?" because it's so incredibly hard to replicate a studio quality sound and a specific type of sound without having that band's gear, fingers, tech, engineer, etc.

Will it give you those bands' sound? Maybe, with some EQing you can get close. A better question would be "Will it give me that hardcore, metalcore sound?" then yes, yes it will. It's thick, chunky, not muddy and tight.

Quote:
Old 03-10-2012, 11:55 PM   #9
bigajvigs

i apologize for that. i was trying to get to the point of saying will it give me that chunky hardcore/metalcore sound and after a long day/week in the field all I could come up was naming bands whose tones I dig.

but thanks much for the help you have really swayed me towards the lionheart. its cheaper then the 6505+ too which will make the wifey happy as well.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #10
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

I think it's going to be a big competitor for the 6505. Especially here in Australia. An Ironheart is around $1000 AU here, a 6505+ is $2400. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Quote:
Old 03-11-2012, 01:20 AM   #11
zero
UG Veteran

Im honestly suprised more people are not talking about them...

I am seriously considering purchasing an Ironheart in the next few weeks (although I have been looking at the 60 combo).
I cant find any good reason to spend more on the peavey.... any negatives I have heard about the Laney are just personal gripes from people whom I suspect have never played through one (i.e 6505 is the only amp for br00tz etc") I maintain that Laney make some of the best, and underrated, amps for the money.

What particularly impressed me was the clean channel, for an amp of that nature it really shines through - very versatile. One thing i didn't think to try was the wattage control - has anyone tried this at bedroom volume?

Last edited by zero : 03-11-2012 at 01:24 AM.
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:14 AM   #12
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic

I've never even seen this amp. It's a damned good thing I haven't gotten my 6505 yet, maybe.

EDIT: If anyone has personal experience with both amps, is it as aggressive as the original 5150? I wouldn't be looking for something like the 6505+, grit is good.

Last edited by DeathByDestroyr : 03-11-2012 at 02:17 AM.
DeathByDestroyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #13
bigajvigs

Theres a really good demo on the Laney site and it blew me away. Not only did it have that raw aggressive tone of the 6505, it sounded better then most 6505's ive heard. And to top it off, the clean channel was very good. Its no Fender but damn, I am seriously impressed.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #14
cliff_em_all

I went with a 6505+ head over the Ironheart. The cleans aren't as bad as everyone says, and the sheer power on the gain channel is amazing. It cuts through incredibley, Has a huuuuge amount of balls to it and more gain on tap than anyone ever needs.

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
cliff_em_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #15
zero
UG Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_em_all
the sheer power on the gain channel is amazing. It cuts through incredibley, Has a huuuuge amount of balls to it and more gain on tap than anyone ever needs.

Is that compared to the Ironheart or just in general?
I'm really interested to hear what makes people swing towards the Peavey...
Is it perhaps the fact that the Ironheart is still very new and no one wants to take a gamble on a first edition product?
I mean it wouldn't be the first time a new series of amp stirs up a lot of hype then proves over time to be pretty average...
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #16
bigajvigs

thats what I was thinking about too...a lot of hype all at once then it turns out to be a flub.

i know the 6505 has a proven track record compared to the new ironheart, but the ironheat seems to be gaining a lot of good reviews and demos...

damn i wish i was able to get out and find one and try it out.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #17
Robbgnarly

The laney looks promising, but they make a 60 watt version. I have turned my 2 amps into 50-60 wqtters by removing power tubes. still plenty loud, but now when I buy a mached set I have tubes for a few yrs, an extra set of 2 tubes and no need to rebias when I change them out.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #18
RockGuitarist09

I have an Ironheart and i plan to replace it with a 6505 or 6505+. The boost isn't too good on the IRT and can make it muddy if both gains are pushed past 7. It's a decent amp worth the 541 (for the 60 watter), but i probably won't keep it longer than a couple of years.
RockGuitarist09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #19
bigajvigs

I spoke to GC and unfortunately they dont sell the Laney's....damn.

I am gonna wait till I get home in about a month and stop in GC and try out the 6505 series. If I dont like it I will order the Laney.

If anyone does pick up the Laney though please post some vids/sound samples! I would love to hear one crank...and if you could pull off a side-by-side comparison of a Laney and a 6505 let me know!

Thanks much
Old 03-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #20
Winter Skyes

My biggest complaint for a 6505 is the gain, theres so many pro's and cons to it Despite it sounds compressed which some players like and Don't Like. I love using gain and I have a lot of the same influences as you actually listed you play And. at high/mid volumes you have to turn your gain down a lot (at least about almost half of it) and tweak with it, unless you invested already another $100-500 bucks on a pedal to make it quiet, so compared to the Laney you get a good price and the pedal overdrives and everything will be far cheaper, There is two things to watch out for, the fuzz noise at high volumes like a hiss, you need to tame that, then the feedback is the next problem at high volumes, Taming Both of those with 1 pedal will make it sound more tightened (If you want that? ) but I personally dont like my amplifier too tightened up if I played all around kind of stuff. Reducing the gain at high volumes make it not sound as Beefy or Brutal As you might want it to be honest but it sounds pretty clear I admit that, I own a 6505 I would know my experience, Other amps have not generated as much Hiss or feedback as a 6505 but it gets the job done as long as you quiet it down (from your guitar which makes it harder for you to play on it espcially if you have Agressive Pickups It will be much harder to tame the sound. ) I personally am gonna look at another amp within the year or so but either one you get is gonna be pretty good, I would get the Laney Cause it has more options though, Only reason I got this amp was the same situation as you; it did the job at least and it wasnt a huge loss and I could find it, regardless though both of those amps you listed sound ideal to your playing; I hope my opinion gives some insight.
Winter Skyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: