Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-28-2015, 02:42 PM   #1
lagedor

Joyo Ironman series overdrives

Hallo, I've upgraded my 5w combo with a better speaker and a better preamp tube ; honestly now it sounds a lot better but...'unfortunately' I'm still far away from the fat-greasy-warm-vintaged-smooth-creamy tone I have in my head. Maybe , a possible solution could be the excellent-reviewed G2C Cream Tone , but I don't have so many bucks ; so , one more time the road leads to China... I'm interested by the overdrives of the new Ironman series, especially Husky Drive (described as 'fat, warm and smooth') , AT Drive ('creamy and pronounced mids') ,or Blue Rain ('warm and comfy'). I looked at some you tube demo , but I don't know if they can give back the idea ... Anyone have tried these ODs could counsel the one that fits into the above requisites? (or that can remember the Cream Tone ?) thank you
lagedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:12 PM   #2
sfx

If you have a tube amp, usually what is done, is using a boost pedal to get the creamy overdrive.

I have an ac4tv and I crank and boost the amp to get that tone.

If you're using an overdrive pedal, it's never going to sound as creamy as natural tube amp overdrive.

For vintage style amps... it's the power amp section that does the creamy work... boost the amp and crank it up...
sfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:34 AM   #3
lagedor

I thank you sfx , but could you tell me how to set the boost pedal and its position in the chain ? I'm not very expert in these things... Anyway I hope your suggestion in right , since the tone ' problem' seemed about the type of effects or speakers...
Old 07-29-2015, 04:39 AM   #4
sfx

Boost pedals are basically those volume 'Levels'.

For eg, bad monkey has a 'level' knob to increase the volume, this is a type of boost.

Boss DS-1 has a level knob too.

So does quite many other pedals, but the problem is they also have a 'gain' knob, which we don't want to use, so we turn it all down.

With Overdrive/distortion pedals, even if you turn the gain all the way down, there's still some coloration of the tone.

Here's where a boost pedal comes in, usually only 1 knob, aka 'level'.

It doesn't, or not supposed to color the tone of your guitar.

This pushes the tube amp further in addition to cranking the volume/gain up on it so you get the breakup/creamy tone you want.

But i've only tried this on the AC4TV tube amp which is vintage style, so I am not sure what amp you have there so it might not work as good.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:13 AM   #5
lagedor

my compliments for the fine and practical explanation ! I've a blackstar HT5 combo , with two replacements :a celestion V-type speaker and a genalex gold lion preamp valve
Old 07-29-2015, 05:22 AM   #6
sfx

Oh ht-5..

Not the kind of amp to get creamy overdrive by itself I am afraid. It's more towards high gain.

You can try full volume in clean channel, with a boost pedal added and see if it gets the result you want..

For boosting, maybe you can try these few cheap pedals first, since they also have gain that you might like in the clean channel too.

1. Joyo Vintage Overdrive
2. Joyo Ultimate Drive.

Last edited by sfx : 07-29-2015 at 05:40 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:04 AM   #7
lagedor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfx
Oh ht-5..

Not the kind of amp to get creamy overdrive by itself I am afraid. It's more towards high gain.

You can try full volume in clean channel, with a boost pedal added and see if it gets the result you want..

For boosting, maybe you can try these few cheap pedals first, since they also have gain that you might like in the clean channel too.

1. Joyo Vintage Overdrive
2. Joyo Ultimate Drive.

Right...Damn, I'd choose another amp...I'll try first with my Joyo Sweet Baby ,then a good booster
Old 07-29-2015, 06:18 AM   #8
sfx

Read this thread, may help with trying to get a power tube distortion.

https://www.blackstaramps.com/forum...php?f=32&t=3854
Old 07-29-2015, 07:31 AM   #9
lagedor

Thanks again!!! I've tried your tricks (with two OD 'boosted' - Maxon 808 ad Joyo Sweet Baby), full volume on clean channel of the amp and Diamond Comp set on the low tones. Things , for now , are better ; I guess also can obtain other improvements
Old 07-29-2015, 07:44 AM   #10
Robbgnarly

are you using the OD as a boost though? volume max, gain off, tone to taste

or are you using it for the actual gain?
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:17 AM   #11
lagedor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
are you using the OD as a boost though? volume max, gain off, tone to taste

or are you using it for the actual gain?

I'm trying this : AMP : vol.max on clean channel,tone at 7 or 6 ; SWEET BABY and (or) MAXON 808 : volume 'til the neighborhood doesn't phone to the cops, with the gain at 8 or 9 ; DIAMOND COMPRESSOR : tones at 10 and volume...variable. That's only a starting point , but it's better than before
Old 07-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #12
sfx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagedor
I'm trying this : AMP : vol.max on clean channel,tone at 7 or 6 ; SWEET BABY and (or) MAXON 808 : volume 'til the neighborhood doesn't phone to the cops, with the gain at 8 or 9 ; DIAMOND COMPRESSOR : tones at 10 and volume...variable. That's only a starting point , but it's better than before

You can also try the dirt channel, but with the gain turned all the way to 0. See how that sounds.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:36 PM   #13
lagedor

...anyway...what a disappointment!!! I can't believe that all my (and I guess of many, many other people) depends in the so harshy Blackstar amp!!! Strangely very well reviewed, ISF,sound in your head and similar... Also,I can't believe I'm the only one vintaged-man that research the tone I described...So , my destiny is going mad through pedals,speakers,valves,configurations,boosters etc ...,or simply...choose another 5w tube amp, if it exists, with a R E A L warm tone ! peace
Old 07-29-2015, 02:37 PM   #14
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Why do you need a 5w amp?

Better to just get an amp that does what you need it to and ignore the wattage.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:36 PM   #15
lagedor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Why do you need a 5w amp?

Better to just get an amp that does what you need it to and ignore the wattage.

Exactly.But I play at home.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:11 PM   #16
sfx

Blackstar has always been known as a mid to high gain monster amps for hard rock and metal players.

They're also overpriced to boot.

But with the joyo vintage overdrive in the clean channel, using the gain and tone, you can get a good vintage tone. Maybe you should consider getting that cheap pedal first. I've posted the youtube video in my previous post on how they sound like through the Blackstar HT-5 clean channel, but if it's not the type of pedal creamy tone you're looking for, then your only option for now, that is affordable, is either a

1. VOX AC4TV series, if you can still find them...
2. The newer Vox AC4C1 series, get the one with a 12 inch speaker.

Then you can crank it up full volume to get that creamy overdrive you like, coupled with built in attenuator for bedroom volume.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:14 PM   #17
sfx

Btw, you didn't tell us what guitar you're using, that could affect your tone too...

Single coils vs humbuckers...

humbuckers don't do so well in the vox mini tube amps.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:19 AM   #18
lagedor

I hope to reach a similar result with one of my OD (last arrived : Joyo Husky Drive, not bad). Anyway, no single coils on my guitars :a recent Hagstrom Swede (P90 soapbars , I guess) , a semi-hollow body Oscar Schmidt /Washburn Delta King 'upgraded' with a Wilkinson PU on the neck and an Ibanez PU ('similar' to a Gibson '57 -!- , so told me the vendor) on the bridge , and a renewed '80 Hondo with two ToneRider PUps (AC4 on the neck and a Rocksong on the bridge).
Old 07-30-2015, 08:23 AM   #19
lagedor

...I've forgotten... may a S/R type configuration , partial or not , affect the sound in terms of 'warmness' ?
Old 07-30-2015, 08:36 AM   #20
sfx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagedor
...I've forgotten... may a S/R type configuration , partial or not , affect the sound in terms of 'warmness' ?

What do you mean by S/R ? Anyway P90s are considered single coils.

Rate This Thread: