Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-05-2016, 04:35 PM   #1
mikey_d73

Opinions on a New Amp

Okay, so I'm looking at getting a new amp. I will be playing mostly cleaner sounds for actual performances and such but I will play around with some classic sounding rock tones when I'm just messing around. To start, the wattage and power doesn't need to be anything impressive as I can hook all of the amps I am considering DI into our PA system. Also, of the 3 I have it narrowed down to, I don't really have a huge preference as to the modeling or solid state, as I am feeling kind of balanced between variety of tones and quality. So I am hung up on the Fender Mustang III, the Orange Crush 35RT as I like the cab sim headphone out which sounds solid, and potentially the new Vox VT40x. So I tested out the Mustang and I may be just not familiar enough with the amp, but to me, it seemed like there's just not a ton of variety to the types of sounds that you can get. Like as in they are all very Fender-ish sounding but again it is 100W and was surprisingly light for a 12" speaker setup. The Orange Crush doesn't have the different amp models but I think it has some very good sounds that you can come up with and as I mentioned it does have that speaker cab simulated headphone jack. But the wildcard is the new Vox that's out in a couple weeks. From what demos I've seen, it has a wide range of amp models and enough effects to warrant the variety route. Just curious to see what everyone thinks about these 3.
mikey_d73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:42 PM   #2
Will Lane
eh-see-thur-tea

Out of all of those I would go with the Mustang III. I would also suggest to use a mic to the speaker rather than a DI out. But at $329 USD you are borderlining a nice tube amp that you will not grow out of as quickly.

Last edited by Will Lane : 01-05-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Will Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:48 PM   #3
dthmtl3

I have a Mustang I and I was about to give up on it until I started messing with the Fuse software. Now I'm pretty happy with it. There's lots of customization you can do. And the Marshall, Vox, Mesa, and Peavey models don't sound Fenderish at all. With the Mustang III looks like you can modify the presets on the amp itself, like adding virtual pedals and tinkering with the effects. With an amp like that you have to invest some time to truly discover all of its potential. A quick test won't do. I'm pretty sure if you dedicate yourself to it, you should be able to get plenty of tones from it that are to your liking.

Last edited by dthmtl3 : 01-05-2016 at 05:05 PM.
dthmtl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:08 PM   #4
Cajundaddy

Remove the Crush and insert Super Champ into the mix. I could gig with all three but my ear preferences are:

1. Super Champ
2. Vox VT
3. Mustang

Spend some time with each and see if you agree.

Last edited by Cajundaddy : 01-05-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:09 PM   #5
mikey_d73

Well, 90% of the time I will be playing it will be acoustic, so I doubt I would need to upgrade on from any of these unless I just decided to change the sound I want. I played with the Mustang for a solid hour or so at guitar center and it does have a pretty nice display on it for adjusting all the effects, amp models, all that good stuff. Sadly the guy who was there at the time didn't have a clue about any of the fuse software and how to run anything on the amp so I was pretty much left in the dark to figure it out and I saw it had a ton of adjustments on there but it seemed like every amp setup I came up with on it sounded remarkably similar. Does the FUSE software help with that? Like for example producing a "Marshall tone" or maybe "Vox-ish" sound? If I go the modeling route I would like that kind of versatility to get a wide range of brand sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthmtl3
I have a Mustang I and I was about to give up on it until I started messing with the Fuse software. Now I'm pretty happy with it. There's lots of customization you can do. And the Marshall, Vox, Mesa, and Peavey models don't sound Fenderish at all. With the Mustang III looks like you can modify the presets on the amp itself, like adding virtual pedals and tinkering with the effects. With an amp like that you have to invest some time to truly discover all of its potential. A quick test won't do. I'm pretty sure if you dedicate yourself to it, you should be able to get plenty of tones from it that are to your liking.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:54 PM   #6
dthmtl3

Well yes, the Mustang does model Vox and Marshall among others, these are the non-Fender models:

[60's Thrift] 1965 Sears Silvertone Twin Twelve
[British Colour] Orange OR120
[British Watts] Hiwatt DR103
[British '60s] VOX AC30
[British '70s] Marshall 1959SLP
[British '80s] Marshall JCM800
[American 90s] Mesa Dual-Rectifier
[Metal 2000] Peavey 5150

in amber, red, green. When you hook it up to a PC and pick an amp, you get the pic the of the amp head and can tinker with all the dials, put a virtual pedal in front of it or a rack effect after it and more.

This is what it looks like when you set it on British '80s. Doesn't show the lower half of the screen though for pedals and effects.

dthmtl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:22 PM   #7
TheQuailman
Dan says I like poop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajundaddy
1. Super Champ

This right here, provided it's within budget.

Keep in mind that if you want to go DI, you will want a DI-box specifically designed for guitar, or the whole thing will start to sound like arse with even the faintest bit of overdrive. I've had good results with a Palmer PDI-09 hooked up between the power-amp and speaker.

Quote:
,__(^<
\___)

TheQuailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:48 PM   #8
mikey_d73

I appreciate it! I looked all over yesterday trying to find the actual models they were supposedly modeled into on the Mustang but apparently I sucked at the internet yesterday. Thanks for the assistance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthmtl3
Well yes, the Mustang does model Vox and Marshall among others, these are the non-Fender models:

[60's Thrift] 1965 Sears Silvertone Twin Twelve
[British Colour] Orange OR120
[British Watts] Hiwatt DR103
[British '60s] VOX AC30
[British '70s] Marshall 1959SLP
[British '80s] Marshall JCM800
[American 90s] Mesa Dual-Rectifier
[Metal 2000] Peavey 5150

in amber, red, green. When you hook it up to a PC and pick an amp, you get the pic the of the amp head and can tinker with all the dials, put a virtual pedal in front of it or a rack effect after it and more.

This is what it looks like when you set it on British '80s. Doesn't show the lower half of the screen though for pedals and effects.

Rate This Thread: