Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-05-2016, 02:27 PM   #1
Maidenheadsteve
I do the guitar good

NAD Ibanez IL15

Got the amp from reverb for $290 with free ship, absolute steal. Not a lot about this amp out in the forums/reviews yet so cue some swagger in my step.

Two independent full EQ channels and vol's, Master: volume, reverb, Fat switch for boost in bass. Seventy 80 speaker, switch for 4/8 ohms. Fat switch is a bit much for standard tuning but it still sounded clear with it on.

Overall a very warm and quiet amp. I keep master vol at noon, full channel volumes. Clean channel is a little quiet for my taste when ran like this, but it's very clean. Takes my overdrives well. Haven't tried my EQD Hoof through it yet but I assume good results can be expected.

Gain range is ridiculous but not unusable. It reminds me of a crunch channel of my XXX as far as gain goes. I wouldn't suggest it for blues but you've got a green light for AC/DC type hard rock and heavier. By 11:00 you get 1980's Brit metal tone. At this gain I didn't need a boost. Bass: 10:00, Mids 1:00, Treble between 3:00 and full (tweaked it every so often).

It has the gain level for thrash but some sort of EQing or boost is needed as expected. I dropped some of the low end sliders a bit on my MXR 10 band, had the gain between noon and 1:00 and it sounded good for the brief time I worked with it. I'd say heavier modern sounding stuff (yes, even djent) can be had quite easily through the same methods as well. I'm basing the EQ need for playing alone, will have to see how it fairs in a small jam again.

I can recognize the seventy 80 isn't the best speaker but the amp sounds very clear overall. Compared to the HT 20 I had, the IL 15 is just spectacular. The amp is a little warm for my taste (I have the treble nearly cranked despite alder so-cal/SH-6 combo) but it's not enough to make me re-sell it. It did well with a small apartment jam with a drummer using brushes and another guitarist (15w valvestate amp I think). I definitely needed an amp with less oomph for individual playing but could pass in a small jam setting, and the amp is doing just that so far.

Last edited by Maidenheadsteve : 03-05-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Maidenheadsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:54 PM   #2
Kevštuhri
Thinking of a good title

Congrats Never paid much attention to Ibby amps. So would you say it's a good amp in the price range?

Also, where are our pics? I mean, as far as we care, you don't have a new amp if we don't get pics. Or is it my problem and my browser can't load them or something?

Anyway, HNAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Kevštuhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:21 PM   #3
Maidenheadsteve
I do the guitar good

Pic is attached here. Would've been too lazy to add one if you didn't ask for it haha

As far as 1X12 low wattage speakers go in a New $500-$600 range, used $300-$400, it's the best I've tried. Mind you, the only other one I've tried is HT 20. Regardless I know enough when an amp is muddy, clear, ballsy, etc. The amp has a great tone that held up both alone and in a jam. I think I'll try a DSL15C soon and see how it matches up since it seems to have the best rep in the price range I mentioned.

And yeah, Ibanez is pretty new for making amps, only other model they have is a tube screamer circuit. I've no need to try it though.
Attached Images

Maidenheadsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:17 PM   #4
N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
Dream Theater Fanboy

Looks great, been thinking of getting one of these or a Laney Ironheart 15/Studio.

Not many decent sound clips of these I can find though.

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Ibanez GRG 7221
Squier Stratocaster (modified)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
N1ghtmar3C1n3ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:43 PM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

nice