Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  

Old 08-14-2015, 03:34 PM   #1
I do the guitar good
Pondering an amp change

I've a Peavey XXX 212, saw a Mesa DC-5 (112) at my local shop. How well do 50w, 112 combos do compared to 120w 212's (ie, band scenarios)? The DC-5 seemed easier to dial in accurate tones playing by myself (which, in reality, is what I end up doing most of the time), Graphic EQ got my attention. Also smaller/less of a hassle to move. But how will the reduction in speaker and watts affect playing with a drummer or drummer+bassist? I mean that in general but if anyone's got specific experience wit the DC-5 I'd appreciate it too.

And if you've got experience with both: As far as distortion quality goes, is this a good swap (that is, I won't be downgrading?)
Charvel So-Cal(SH6TB/N). Joyo pxl pro. Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Whammy DT, (Green Rhino vs Duncan 805 TBD) and (Hoof vs Colossus TBD). Loop 1 into ISP decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212

Last edited by Maidenheadsteve : 08-14-2015 at 05:12 PM.
Maidenheadsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:39 PM   #2
Leather Sleeves
50 watts, tube, is usually enough for a band practice room scenario. But it depends on the size of the band and what they're using. You might get buried. I'd stick with the XXX, but I'm not familiar with the DC-5.
Leather Sleeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:44 PM   #3
Leather Sleeves
Of course, if you're getting the amp mic'd, the wattage doesn't really matter anyway.
Leather Sleeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:55 AM   #4
likes hamuckers.
Projection is more of a concern than volume i would recommend setting it on a stand or something higher so its not projecting at your knees. In a perfect world it would be mic'd, however i have done literally hundreds of open mics un amped with a 50 watt tube amp (trace elliot speed twinl) and have been fine. Gigging it would have to be mic'd IMO.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

If you think illegal drugs have never done any good, burn your record collection.
-Bill Hicks

Originally Posted by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Originally Posted by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
trashedlostfdup is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: