Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-25-2007, 04:29 AM   #1
MrCarrot
Sup.

The Brotherhood of Vox

I think this thread's long overdue....

VOX! That magnificent manufacturer of amps, that malpractor of wahs, those innovating geniae (nice word eh)....

What do you own, love, or want Vox? An AC30, for your Queen tribute band? A Valvetronix, for moving into the world of -actually- tonal amps? A V847, for those Hendrix moments?

Vox owners, lovers and wanters can converge in here for the ULTIMATE Vox thread...

Let's start, shall we?

I have a V847a and may well be getting a 80s AC30TB to repair

You can join our group here.

You can send me any reviews of anything Voxy you have and I'll post them in here:

V847a Wah - MrCarrot
Awesome, great priced wah. If in the UK, try to snag one from thomann for 30 cheaper than UK price. Great traditional Hendrixy sound, good sweep and long battery life, much better than Crybabies. Built like a beast, cuts through exeptionally. On clean, I can basically nail the Voodoo Chile sound. It's great for RHCP moments too, it doesn't handle very high gain or bassy sounds well though. Great vocal sounding wah.

V848 Clyde McCoy Wah - zeppelinpage4 (Stolen from Ultimate wah thread)
It has a nice sweep, slightly bigger than the V847 for reference. The wah also has a growl to it, very classic sounding and vocal. However its very treble-y and requires a bit of control without making a harsh noise when pushing all the way down. Also in a line up if you put it after the distortion the wah tends to become more of a volume pedal (at least mine does). Last there is a dramatic decrease in volume when turned, this isnt a huge problem but it still bothers a bit especially in the middle of a song.

AC50CP Classic Plus - Lbrooks
Well, i like the AC50cp a LOT. I can see why it has been getting a lot of flack though. It seemed to me that it was advertised as a metal amp whereas i consider it to be a louder, darker sounding AC30.

It does have some very obvious weak spots though, it struggles to get light crunch on the gain channel and i find the distortion rather fizzy and unfocused in the higher gain areas. When i add my EQ into the effects loop I get some additional hum (that could be the pedal though) but tightens up the gain fairly well creating a usable hard rock- lighter metal tone. When I use my BD-2 to get some light crunch i get some really nice bluesy sounds with it.

When I tested it with a MIM strat I was less impressed, it wasn't terrible but the tones coming from it were considerably worse than on my ibanez. I found the top end to be a bit hard to manipulate and the clean sounds i would get were either too bright or too muddy. I don't consider this to be due to the guitar though as when I tested a 4x10 fender deville with both guitars the same MIM strat smoked my ibanez tonally.

Overall i chose it because it took my ibanez better than anything else in its price range even though it was somewhat lackluster with a single coiled guitar.

:cheers

Last edited by MrCarrot : 10-25-2007 at 07:44 AM.
MrCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:35 AM   #2
METAL MILITIA1

i wish i had a vox
METAL MILITIA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:40 AM   #3
Lauke_101
Registered fx abuser

I still have my Pathfinder 15 and I'm gonna use it Friday in a small (like very small, maybe 40 people) gig in a cafe because I can't be arsed to drag my 2x12 around for that

IMO it's the best $100 practice amp you can get.. the cleans really are great, very warm and fat and the tremolo sounds really vintage like

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Lauke_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:45 AM   #4
bemoth

Location: Sweden----------------------------why does the doctor have no face?!?
Own a vox AD30VT and i love the little sucker
bemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:47 AM   #5
MrCarrot
Sup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by METAL MILITIA1
i wish i had a vox

That's always a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauke_101
I still have my Pathfinder 15 and I'm gonna use it Friday in a small (like very small, maybe 40 people) gig in a cafe because I can't be arsed to drag my 2x12 around for that

IMO it's the best $100 practice amp you can get.. the cleans really are great, very warm and fat and the tremolo sounds really vintage like

I quite like Pathfinders too, they great for small home practice uses, I mean there's stuff like the EVJ at that range too but it is for sure quite a nice SS amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemoth
Own a vox AD30VT and i love the little sucker

Today, AD30, tomorrow, AC30
Old 10-25-2007, 05:07 AM   #6
slashs_#1_fan
UG's Biggest Slash fan

Although I am selling my AD50VT to help fund my recent purchase of a JCM800, i have nothing bad to say about the fella. Served me brilliantly and I recommend to anyone. Im still in love with the cleans it produces...
slashs_#1_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:52 AM   #7
Johnonon
Sludgey Funky Blues

I've got a V847 wah, and my dad has an AD15VT. Fantastic products
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Johnonon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:53 AM   #8
Reincaster
Call me Rein.

I've got the AC30 head from a decade ago, at least, I think. It's pretty sweet sounding too.
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Reincaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:02 AM   #9
head_strong

got me a ad30vt...best amp for its money and them sum imo. fricken sweet. just needs a lil beta high gain...but meh i still love it
head_strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:06 AM   #10
MrCarrot
Sup.

Woo, carry on with all the Vox love!

Post pics if you have them
Old 10-25-2007, 06:11 AM   #11
Johnonon
Sludgey Funky Blues

It's the scond pedal i ever got

BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Johnonon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:36 AM   #12
jxljxl
Bestival 2009 FTW.

Yeah I got a V847 and an AD50vt

Vox rules
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
jxljxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:59 AM   #13
Lbrooks

I have the new AC50cp 2x12 and an AD50vt to go alongside it, in fact my first ever amp was a vox pathfinder. I get the feeling I'll be a vox guy for life.
VOX ac50cp 2x12
Boss blues driver BD-2
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Homebrew Electronics THC chorus
Guyatone FLIP tube echo
Boss Graphic EQ GE-7
Lbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:18 AM   #14
MrCarrot
Sup.

^^^ Sweet rig!

^^

^ Nice, how'd you like the AC50CP?

Here's my budget friendly but rather amazing sounding rig:

Old 10-25-2007, 07:40 AM   #15
Lbrooks

Well, i like the AC50cp a LOT. I can see why it has been getting a lot of flack though. It seemed to me that it was advertised as a metal amp whereas i consider it to be a louder, darker sounding AC30.

It does have some very obvious weak spots though, it struggles to get light crunch on the gain channel and i find the distortion rather fizzy and unfocused in the higher gain areas. When i add my EQ into the effects loop I get some additional hum (that could be the pedal though) but tightens up the gain fairly well creating a usable hard rock- lighter metal tone. When I use my BD-2 to get some light crunch i get some really nice bluesy sounds with it.

When I tested it with a MIM strat I was less impressed, it wasn't terrible but the tones coming from it were considerably worse than on my ibanez. I found the top end to be a bit hard to manipulate and the clean sounds i would get were either too bright or too muddy. I don't consider this to be due to the guitar though as when I tested a 4x10 fender deville with both guitars the same MIM strat smoked my ibanez tonally.

Overall i chose it because it took my ibanez better than anything else in its price range even though it was somewhat lackluster with a single coiled guitar.
VOX ac50cp 2x12
Boss blues driver BD-2
Guyatone FLIP tube echo
Boss Graphic EQ GE-7
Old 10-25-2007, 07:42 AM   #16
MrCarrot
Sup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbrooks

Sweet. I'm gonna nick that review and add it to post #1
Old 10-25-2007, 07:58 AM   #17
Lbrooks

^

Btw, how do you think a vox v847 wah would do for alternative/expirimental tones?
VOX ac50cp 2x12
Boss blues driver BD-2
Guyatone FLIP tube echo
Boss Graphic EQ GE-7
Old 10-25-2007, 08:01 AM   #18
MrCarrot
Sup.

Hmm, depends how gainy exactly. It gets those Classic Rock organic wah tones, like Hendrix and stuff, but like I said it doesn't like a lot of gain, you'd really have to try one to find out. For light overdrive, crunch, classic rock lead and clean it's sweet. But for anything past Hard Rock its usefulness starts to fade quite a bit.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:03 AM   #19
johnny_tapia
Definitely Maybe..

I have an AD50VT and I used to own the v847. But it broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJayremmie
marry me.
johnny_tapia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:06 AM   #20
AdamDK
Meh.

I'm in. AD15VT for the win...