Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #1
merks7

Bla-bla-bla Aeolian mode help

Hi i want to learn all the shapes for the Aeolian mode, I cannot find a page that has all of them I am hoping for 5 of them, dont tell me to learn the notes and the formula for the scale please, i learn the way i do, plz help, thanks
merks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Why would you bother with learning the shape? That's not learning the minor scale.

Also, no real reason to call it Aeolian mode, since it's the minor scale. (You probably shouldn't be focusing on modes, unless you somehow managed to learn everything suggested to you in this thread from a month ago...in less than a month. And I doubt that.) Note that modes are NOT scales. So, here's a lesson about the minor scale:
http://www.musictheory.net/lessons/22

That lesson actually covers all 3 minor scales, but the one you should pay attention to the most is the "natural minor scale". The other two minor scales are not used very often in today's music, so when most people say "the minor scale"...just remember that they probably mean "the natural minor scale".

If you can't read music, that site has a section in lessons called "the basics". Just remove the "/22" part and hit enter.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 04-08-2014 at 06:48 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
merks7

can any one that is not a douche bag answer my question please
Old 04-08-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Ok, fine...don't accept my help.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:49 PM   #5
merks7

how in the world is playing the exact shape of a scale, NOT playing a scale, what kind of sense is that?
Old 04-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #6
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Quote:
Originally Posted by merks7
can any one that is not a douche bag answer my question please

crazysam just did.

If there's one thing I've learned in my 7-8 years in this forum, it's that the people in it know what they're talking about, even if the answer pisses you off because it turns out to not be as simple as you wanted it to be.

Memorizing the scale shapes will not teach you anything musical. Knowing the intervals of the scale and why they sound the way they do and using that knowledge to play wherever you want will.
Atlas' Burden (Instrumental)
And for those who really enjoyed that and want to hear other random songs unrelated to that album...
Other music
Macabre_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:52 PM   #7
SuperKid

play the red notes in this image in the first post and you'll be super amazing http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1639701

Guaranteed win
SuperKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #8
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
how in the world is playing the exact shape of a scale, NOT playing a scale, what kind of sense is that?
I did not say that. I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Why would you bother with learning the shape? That's not learning the minor scale.

The key word there is learning. What I'm trying to get at is that all you will learn by getting a picture of the 5 positions of the minor scale is the positions. You won't really know what to do with the scale, how the scale works, when to use the scale, etc. You can't just drill the scale positions and think you know the scale. You don't learn the scale that way.

You obviously didn't like my answer, so you resorted to calling me a douchebag here and telling me on my personal profile (for the 2nd time so far) that I'm an asshole. Your loss.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKid
play the red notes in this image in the first post and you'll be super amazing http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1639701

Guaranteed win

Stop trolling. You're not funny.

Bandcamp

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 04-08-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:50 PM   #9
Skullivan
JKap's Trusty Headband

I lost it at hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhEnEe
I actually weld train car doors but gumballs are cool

Quote:
can any one that is not a douche bag hedgehog answer my question please
Skullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #10
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

In hindsight, being called a hedgehog is pretty funny.

Bandcamp

Old 04-09-2014, 12:19 AM   #11
DreamGate
Heshmuggah

What crazy sam said in his first post. And it would help if you an relate the minor scale to the Major (ie. Flat 3rd, 6th and 7th). If you can get used twn that, then studying 'modes' later will be a lot simpler than memorizing patterns.
DreamGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:40 AM   #12
20Tigers

This is all five shapes of the minor scale in Gm but they are moveable so you can just move them to whatever root note you need.

http://www.discoverguitaronline.com/diagrams/view/2
Old 04-09-2014, 08:46 AM   #13
Elintasokas

OH LOL, it's merks. According to him, EVERYONE's an asshole. (yes, me too. Just check my UG wall )

Also, what SuperKid said.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #14
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

The longer you spend in MT, the more likely someone is going to call you a douche on your wall. Seems to come with the territory unfortunately.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #15
MattyBoy 1337
Registered Re-user

This is a troll thread. It must be. I hope so.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #16
Jehannum
Registered Abuser

Quote:

It isn't. But a mode isn't just a scale.

Listen. I'm not sure you're bright enough to learn music, so just Google "Aeolian mode" and look at the nice fretboard shapes that come up.
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #17
HotspurJr

Quote:

The funny thing, of course, is that if you hadn't just been a total jerk, people would probably be eager to answer this question.

I know I would be.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #18
macashmack
Spongethug Moneypants

Merks? More like JERKS lolololol

I would have helped you but you're a little poophead
Old 04-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #19
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
In hindsight, being called a hedgehog is pretty funny.

i nearly fell off my chair

to be fair, i think if you got rid of the beard you wouldn't look anything like one

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
The longer you spend in MT, the more likely someone is going to call you a douche on your wall. Seems to come with the territory unfortunately.

maybe. you always get the odd dick who won't be happy nomatter how nice you are, but we tell people stuff they don't want to hear all the time in the gear forums too and I would suspect most of us in those forums haven't got abusive messages on our walls either.

I think 20Tigers mentioned this the other day in a thread, where some people are almost scared to post anything in case they get jumped on. I haven't hung out in here anywhere near as long as you guys have, but I've held back on posting things too in case I got jumped on (a cynic might say I don't hold back enough you guys know way more than I do about theory, that goes without saying).

I'm not saying you should let people post incorrect stuff without correcting it, because of course you shouldn't (and we don't allow that in the gear forums either), but you can tell people they're wrong in such a way that it looks like you're trying to help (in which case most reasonable people will appreciate that you're genuinely trying to help) or in such a way that it looks like you're trying to make them look stupid (which gets most reasonable people's backs up).

I think I'm fairly familiar with how guitar forums work now, and I should clarify that I think you guys are genuinely trying to help (and I've learnt a lot in the little time I've hung out here, including several things which always bothered me for years and which didn't quite make sense)- it's more in the way that you come across.

It's sometimes hard to realise how other people see you (and I'm as guilty of this as anyone, I dare say some of my posts, taken in isolation, could come in for similar criticism )- regulars in a forum will realise that the same question comes up every day, and will also realise if a regular posts a snarky comment once in a blue moon that they're helpful 99% of the time and will cut them some slack. But to someone who's only posted once in the forum who only sees that one post, they get the impression that the forum is cliquey and arrogant. It's like when you go into a shop and the assistant is rude to you- maybe the last 15 customers were dicks, but you didn't see that, plus even if that were true the assistant should still treat you with respect since the previous 15 customers weren't your fault.

I guess what I'm saying that if it appears a slightly scary forum to post in, even to someone like me who's used to forums and who's willing to give you the benefit of the doubt...

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #20
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ Interesting points. Do you think the snarky comments of the regular users in this thread prompted merks7's spamming?

I think its more likely that there's a lot of telling people that they're wrong in MT. It's hard to sugarcoat telling someone they're wrong, and some people will react negatively.

Rate This Thread: