Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-28-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
dcg627

What tools/software do you use to record ideas?

First of all..hello. I'm a long-time reader and UG user, but not sure I've ever actually posted on here.

I'm curious what process/tools you guys use to keep track of music ideas.

If I'm playing around on guitar and come up with something I want to remember (for example, a riff or progression I might want to use in a song in the future), I usually open the Evernote app on my phone and record it. Evernote works ok for this I guess, but it's not great. I used to use Springpad, but then they shut down.

What do you use? Is there anything out there that really works well for this?

Last edited by dcg627 : 10-28-2014 at 09:32 AM.
dcg627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
Sickz
Jazz Musician

Evernote and Youtube is what i use. I keep my written material on evernote most of the time and my practice diary on youtube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
reverb66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg627
First of all..hello. I'm a long-time reader and UG user, but not sure I've ever actually posted on here.

I'm curious what process/tools you guys use to keep track of music ideas.

If I'm playing around on guitar and come up with something I want to remember (for example, a riff or progression I might want to use in a song in the future), I usually open the Evernote app on my phone and record it. Evernote works ok for this I guess, but it's not great. I used to use Springpad, but then they shut down.

What do you use? Is there anything out there that really works well for this?

I use an app called Irecorder

It's great because you are recording in two taps - one tap to open the app, the other tap to hit a huge "Record" button. The app doesn't force you to name the files either, which is great when banging out many quick recordings of takes - you can name them later. I chose this app because its the quickest and most efficient way to record an idea. Most other apps bog you down with options or settings etc., which is time wasted when you're trying to capture a great idea that could evaporate at any time!
reverb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:48 PM   #4
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Most smartphones have built in recorders you can use - failing that, just use the camera to shoot a video of yourself playing it.

For the best options for recording generally, there is a sticky over in the recordings forum that tells you everything you need to know.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
bloodandempire

I've come to the conclusion that the best way to write music or ideas is on tuxguitar/guitarpro whatever something like that. It might be a bit more difficult if you aren't familiar with transcribing music but it gets to be second nature and is especially good if you're writing music with other people as you can easily send them the exact music for them to add to or change or w/e.

Schecter hellraiser
Esp Ltd EC 1000
Peavey vypyr 60 tube
Line 6 spider IV 150w head
Orange PPC4x12 cab
bloodandempire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:47 PM   #6
SuperKid

i use my tascam dr-05 to record my guitar lessons (invaluable, if i dont record, a ton of musical ideas and examples given by the teacher would go to waste) and a few other classes
SuperKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:56 PM   #7
fingrpikingood

TapeMachine

TapeMachine Lite

I recommend naming everything. I have probably about 500 such recordings. It's pretty rough if they are not named in any way. Rough enough even if they are. Which brings me to my second piece of advice, finish your ideas.

Last edited by fingrpikingood : 10-29-2014 at 12:02 AM.
fingrpikingood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:42 AM   #8
pianogirl2

I'm old fashioned and use notebooks or scraps of paper. In my room I have a sort of musical scrapbook...
pianogirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:31 AM   #9
dcg627

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverb66
I use an app called Irecorder

It's great because you are recording in two taps - one tap to open the app, the other tap to hit a huge "Record" button. The app doesn't force you to name the files either, which is great when banging out many quick recordings of takes - you can name them later. I chose this app because its the quickest and most efficient way to record an idea. Most other apps bog you down with options or settings etc., which is time wasted when you're trying to capture a great idea that could evaporate at any time!

Doesn't that app just save recordings on your phone though? If your phone crashes, you'll lose everything.
dcg627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:44 AM   #10
reverb66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg627
Doesn't that app just save recordings on your phone though? If your phone crashes, you'll lose everything.

You can email yourself the files - which I do for the better ideas that I'm worried about losing.

Keep in mind, this is just for the immediate "eureka" moments where the idea is fresh and I need to record it immediately for fear of loosing the groove or the initial feel of an idea.

I record on Reaper with an interface etc. when I'm, actually getting serious about recording a tune. The Irecorder is just for quick recordings of new ideas.

To those of you who are transcribing their ideas through notation or apps etc., in my experience by the time you've sat down and started inputting information, you've already maybe lost the groove or the initial spark of the idea. That's why having something that is very quick to access is crucial. Sometimes the time it takes me to take an idea that I have in my head and play it on the guitar morphs and ruins the initial idea, so I've even started singing riffs into the phone before picking up the guitar, when they come to me that way.
reverb66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: