Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-23-2015, 04:20 PM   #1
arv1971

Cool Band In A Box..?

Just wondering if anyone has tried it..?

I've been using Session Mode in Rocksmith 2014 to jam along with, it's pretty reasonable but could be better. You don't have any control over chord progressions and the 'musicians' tend to stop whenever you pause playing for a bit.

So I've been looking at alternatives and have been thinking about getting Band In A Box. It looks pretty overwhelming at first but after watching a few tutorials it looks pretty straightforward.

As far as I can see it's going to be very useful for making backing tracks and maybe even help with songwriting.

So I'm just wondering if any of you have tried it out, what it's like to use and what other alternatives there are..?

Many thanks in advance for any help, ta!
arv1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
one vision
Trolling /sg/

Honestly, these "shortcut" apps will just hold you back and give you a reason not to learn theory. And after all, MT stands for Music Theory.

It would be useful, but these kind of apps are also very limiting in their potential to give you what you want. For example, you could fill in all the boxes and pick what style you want etc, but you won't get to choose much else. You'll be left with very "cookie-cutter" backing tracks.

If you plan to use it as an educational segway into learning how to use harmony and stuff like that, then I think it's a great idea. Otherwise I think it will get boring pretty quickly.

What I would recommend for making backing tracks, is using a keyboard and recording through MIDI/XLR output. I make all my backing tracks I've ever made for work or pleasure on my Korg. It gives me a lot of variety, I can add/take away instruments at will, full control the harmony to the point of any crazy embellishments, etc, creating a much more unique backing track.

Just my advice. It's really all up to whether this is more of an educational tool for you, or your main goal is just to make backing tracks. And I'm sure it's a great tool anyways, just saying, these things have limited potential and get played out pretty quickly.

Also, just a thought, but if you need something to jam along with for the sake of improvising, you can make some chord progressions and loop them on GuitarPro. Or you can find countless backing tracks on youtube in any key and for literally any song.

Also for this reason, I'm out.

New composition, the shit's dope.
Romance No. 1 D minor

/sg/ - Solid Guitar

Last edited by one vision : 04-23-2015 at 07:59 PM.
one vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:10 AM   #3
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ Yeah, you don't need an app to play with backing track. You don't need to pay someone to create them either.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:02 AM   #4
Virgman

Band-in-a-Box is really good for jazz.

If you don't play jazz I wouldn't get it.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:52 PM   #5
arv1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgman
Band-in-a-Box is really good for jazz.

If you don't play jazz I wouldn't get it.

But aren't there loads of different styles available..? Rock, Pop, Blues, Reggae, Funk etc..?
arv1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: