Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  

Old 11-08-2015, 11:31 AM   #1
The best way to learn solo is to play your favorite song?

Many people suggested this when I am asking on where to start which scale to learn first. They told me to learn to play your favorite song. So I did and the result is pretty astonishing.

I first learn by tab and when I play 2 or 3 song and found out that most of the song using the same scale and I jump to my favorite new song without looking at the tab and i can improvise it. Unlike before, now I just spam the fretboard but the sound come out is good and natural.

The question is: Am I learning solo the right way or not?

note: I still don't know any scale yet even pentatonic; I know only the note on the E string.
sosxradar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #2
Likes Satchurated fat.
Nothing wrong with learning like that in my experience, just means you are learning based on what various notes and intervals sound like rather than thinking "right this is in C# Minor so I can only play these notes"

The outcome is the same, but doing it naturally rather than deliberately mapping out the notes you can/can't play.
Random3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:42 PM   #3
Slapping the bass.
By playing actual music you learn to play actual music. You don't learn to solo just by learning scales, you need to learn to use them. And playing other people's music is a good way to do that. That way you'll understand how other people use the scales musically in their solos. Analyzing what other people do in their solos would also be recommended.

I learned other people's solos before I even started with scales. Though when I started playing the guitar I had already been playing the trumpet for many years so I already knew what scales were.
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:13 PM   #4
I still missing something but at least I try. And I usually end in the note in the different note eg: I need to end the note in A but I usually spam the different and need to hammer on the A note and that sound bad.
sosxradar is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: