Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #1
Chip_mx

Playing guitar with others

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=6][COLOR=White

Hello! Let's see, how do I start this? Well, a bit of my guitar history first. I have been playing the acoustic steel six-string guitar for about 6 years or so. I can play and sing about a dozen songs. I have no formal music theory knowledge. Before the guitar I had no music experience. Now I would like to play with other guitarist and possibly, in the future, in a small band. We live on a sailboat in Mexico and right now we are anchored in Barra de Navidad, Mexico. So it is hard a bit hard to hang out with other guitarist.
I am older, 69, so staying out late to hang with bands does not work, I could but it would be really hard while anchoring at present and near future.
In order to play with another guitarist, I have started practicing a few keys:
C key with the common chords of C,F,G,dm,em,am
A with A,D,E,bm,c#m,f#m
And F with F,b flat, c,gm,am,dm
My question is - am I on the right path to be able to play with another guitarist?
Thank you, Chip
Chip_mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 04:58 PM   #2
Kevštuhri
Thinking of a good title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip_mx
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=6][COLOR=White

I'm so glad you screwed this up.

Quote:
In order to play with another guitarist, I have started practicing a few keys:
C key with the common chords of C,F,G,dm,em,am
A with A,D,E,bm,c#m,f#m
And F with F,b flat, c,gm,am,dm

This is a great start - knowing how to comp in different keys is a really valuable skill when jamming with other musicians. The question is, do you know how to use this knowledge? Do you know how to create basic chord progressions out of these sets of chords? I recommend you look a bit into that, it's a great skill to have.

Quote:
My question is - am I on the right path to be able to play with another guitarist?

Depends on what you're after. If you just want to play covers with other people, I suggest that you simply learn as many songs as you can. Actually, I suggest you do that anyway, it's a great form of practice. If you're looking for a jam band, it would be great if you had the basics of comping and soloing down in different genres. You could learn some basic blues, rock and pop chord progressions, or maybe even jazz, and get used to them. And you could familiarize yourself with some improvisation techniques if you want to, I understand if you're not interested in lead playing, but knowing how to follow chords and use your ear in a band setting is pretty cool anyway.

If you aim to write your own music, just learn as many songs as you can and try to learn what makes them tick. Try to pay attention to what chords work with different chords, and what kind of melodies work over them, in my opinion the best way to learn basic song writing is to study songs you like, there's a wealth of information hidden in your favorite music. Studying theory on how to build basic chord progressions and melodies is very useful as well of course.

And frankly, the best way to learn how to play in a band is to play in a band, just try to find cool people who understand that you're new to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here

Last edited by Kevštuhri : 01-26-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Kevštuhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:24 PM   #3
CherokeShredder
Sharky, of course

"You can't learn anything if you don't experience it first" if I remember my colleague's saying before. Keys and progressions are terrific to start with and even to continue with. Band playing can be tricky if it's unfamiliar, but in time, it gets better...hopefully. Having been in 3 flop attempts to continue to have bands, I can tell it's quite a bit of work but worth it if it works out. Best advice I can give is to just give it your all.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:04 PM   #4
jerrykramskoy

You'll also want to be ok with keys of E and G.

But don't forget jamming is mostly about having fun, so, unless that situation involves paying punters, don't worry ... just enjoy it.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:51 PM   #5
lbc_sublime
UG's black reaper

yes E and G are good idea.

my biggest advice i found for acoustic is understanding guitar strum timing. it may sound dumb and you may already understand it but when you add in strum misses and mutes you can really make easy to jam music with a pace.

it's basically keeping your down ups even and to a time. there's lessons every where is. i always liked justin guitar in general.

lbc_sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:23 PM   #6
Chip_mx

Ok I see what is meant about knowing what to do with the keys. I have been doing some youtube video studing but still have not got it yet, what areas to learn and in what order. Have also a music theory ebook that i am looking at. Not much high speed or high enough speed wifi for videos and sometimes even email hence the delay for this reply.
A sail boat just came here for a week with a guitarist who played professionallyl who I am going to try to pick his brain. We sail south to Santiago in a week or so our selves.
Thanks,
Chip
Chip_mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:46 AM   #7
CherokeShredder
Sharky, of course

Best of luck with the trip. Hope you garner new ideas and inspiration for your future endeavors. ...professional guitarist, eh? You'll probably tell us if that is really true or not
Old 01-31-2016, 07:40 AM   #8
liampje
Wannabe music theorist :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevštuhri
I'm so glad you screwed this up.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:42 AM   #9
CherokeShredder
Sharky, of course

:3 It works well

Rate This Thread: