Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #1
SrThompson

Scottish folk music.

Hi there.

I started to here some random scottish folk music on youtube and now I want to learn how to played on guitar.
Some songs were kinda basic (C, F, G7, Am and that's it) and others with soloing in G mixo was enough...but I want to go deeper than that. I heard some songs that we're just with a violin (fiddler folk?) and couldn't figured out what scale was it or the guitar chords.

So...anyone of you knows how to play scottish folk music on guitar? what are the typical progressions, chords, scales, tunings?

and of course, if you can recommend any artist to hear that would be awesome.

Thanks for any tips.

Cheers
SrThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:04 AM   #2
Sickz
Jazz Musician

I´m not sure if this is quite what you are after, since its more irish folk music or celtic music. But since they are sometimes quite similar i figured it couldn´t hurt.

Anyways, check out these groups: The High Kings, Altan, Anam, Four men & a dog, At first light, Lunasa, Solas, Dervish.

Many of them use standard tuning, but you may occasionally stumble on songs that are in open tunings, like open G or D. Folk music uses the same kind of chords and scales that other music does aswell, the real difference between genres of music is more in the articulation, tone and what instruments are used. The best way to get deeper into a style is to learn a lot of material from that style of music, preferably by ear. Doesn´t matter what instrument you take stuff from either, when my buddy that plays the violin is out of town i have to play these irish violin lines on guitar instead for the folk gigs i do.

Even if the artists i mentioned are not what you were looking for this advice still stands strong, the best way to learn a style is to follow the advice of Clark Terry, "Imitate, assimilate and innovate". Imitate the music you want to learn, learn tunes from the artists you like. Then analyze it and figure out what you are playing, then use that knowledge in other contexts.

I hope that was hopeful in some way.
Best Regards,
Sickz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."

Last edited by Sickz : 04-11-2014 at 06:08 AM.
Sickz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:10 AM   #3
Jehannum
Registered Abuser

The more deeply you get into it, the more complex the answer.

However, just to get the Scottish flavour of songs like Auld Lang Syne or the Skye Boat Song, try the pentatonic major.
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #4
SrThompson

Cheers guys.

Sickz, I'll check those bands.

This morning I've found this vid

And I'm trying to figure out the mandolin part on the guitar and to get the rhythm changes of the guitar part. So, I think that I have that for now.

Jehannum, those are more slow beat songs, I was looking more into the upbeat scottish folk, like the one in the vid that I just post, with bagpipes, violin, mandolin, and stuff. Those are pretty cool as well, they are even in scottish lol.
SrThompson is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: