Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #81
I am the Drake
Problem Child

I have to say that my favorite era is the seventies as far as the music they made. I never was a big Brian Jones fan but I still love all of the sixties stuff. And the 80s weren't as bad as I thought it was for them. I listened to their Undercover album the other day and it was pretty good. The best song from that album is "I Wanna Hold You". It's a Keith song!
I am the Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:09 PM   #82
hippyskier
Wowee Zowee!!

Hands down, my favorite Stones era begins in the later half of the 60's and extends to Exile on Main St. Their earlier songs are awesome as well, I mean, Aftermath was one hell of an album. But when you compare that earlier work with later albums like Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers, you can really hear that evolution of sound and style. A few of my favorites are "Midnight Rambler" and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" simply because of the cohesion that they displayed, despite the long track time. Beggars Banquet is another really awesome album because it focused a lot more on acoustic work... I think there are only a two-ish songs on there that prominently feature an electric guitar, haha. I'd recommend to anyone that likes this particular era of Stones music to find a high quality download of the bootleg concert Brussels Affair. Along the same vein as the studio production, the Rolling Stones really put on some insanely energetic concerts during this period.

Rock and Roll!
Digitech Crossroads Pedal

In the stereo: The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
hippyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #83
Sloopy
is classic rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyskier
Hands down, my favorite Stones era begins in the later half of the 60's and extends to Exile on Main St.

My thoughts exactly, second favourite is the Some Girls - Tattoo You era ('78 - '81).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartman
I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #84
hippyskier
Wowee Zowee!!

And you can send me dead flowers every mornin'!

Old 01-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #85
master
UG Board King

Quote:
I'd recommend to anyone that likes this particular era of Stones music to find a high quality download of the bootleg concert Brussels Affair. Along the same vein as the studio production, the Rolling Stones really put on some insanely energetic concerts during this period.

Rock and Roll!

That and "Ladies and Gentlemen The Rolling Stones" are my favorite Stones boots. You can find some Ladies and Gentlemen clips on youtube. My favorite boot that features Ronnie is "out on bail" from '78. They sound like they're about to fall apart throughout the whole concert but never do. You can listen to it here:
http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/...52518-7762.html
favorite tracks from that show are Love in Vain, just my imagination, and Brown sugar.

This might sound kinda weird, but I think the Stones are very underrated in some ways by the young classic rock listeners. Most people just see them as a pop band because all of their major hits like Start me up, brown sugar, satisfaction, let's spend the night together, etc...are all really poppy and simple. Their really good stuff, like can't you hear me knocking, monkey man, rocks off,let it loose, slave, etc...never gets the attention it really deserves. Anyone else agree, or is it just me?

Willing to trade!
master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:47 PM   #86
master
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Drake
I listened to their Undercover album the other day and it was pretty good. The best song from that album is "I Wanna Hold You". It's a Keith song!

"She was hot" is killer, too.

Willing to trade!
master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:18 PM   #87
I am the Drake
Problem Child

"She Was Hot" is pretty good. I heard that they actually played is on their last tour a couple of times.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:08 PM   #88
hippyskier
Wowee Zowee!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by master
That and "Ladies and Gentlemen The Rolling Stones" are my favorite Stones boots. You can find some Ladies and Gentlemen clips on youtube. My favorite boot that features Ronnie is "out on bail" from '78. They sound like they're about to fall apart throughout the whole concert but never do. You can listen to it here:
http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/...52518-7762.html
favorite tracks from that show are Love in Vain, just my imagination, and Brown sugar.

This might sound kinda weird, but I think the Stones are very underrated in some ways by the young classic rock listeners. Most people just see them as a pop band because all of their major hits like Start me up, brown sugar, satisfaction, let's spend the night together, etc...are all really poppy and simple. Their really good stuff, like can't you hear me knocking, monkey man, rocks off,let it loose, slave, etc...never gets the attention it really deserves. Anyone else agree, or is it just me?

ABSOLUTELY!! You bring up an awesome point (and a great clip! I'll have to check that out!!). The Rolling Stones get written off so much today by younger listeners because they ONLY know them through their radio hits, which are good songs, but way too overplayed and don't get to the gritty core of their blues roots. The song list you mentioned is spot on, with some of those being their best songs, but probably least known ("Knocking" probably not so much since it was in GH2, haha). I mean, people look at "Free Bird" and some other longer jam type songs by other bands and are like OMG, WHAT A ROCKIN' SONG.

Well?

What about Midnight Rambler? One of my all time favorite songs that just rocks the house... And that pretty much goes for everything on Beggar's, Exile, Fingers, Ya-Ya's, and Bleed. I could listen to those albums on repeat for days and never get tired of them, but somehow they still seem to get shuffled in with the mix when it comes to how the Stones are viewed today.

In honor, I am turning on Monkey Man right now.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:03 PM   #89
I am the Drake
Problem Child

Have any of you heard the Metamorphosis album? It's basically just a bunch of demos from the sixties with a lot of session musicians on it. It has some cool versions of their lesser knows sixties stuff. A lot of guest people appear on it. Like Jimmy Page because he was a session musician at the time these recordings were made.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #90
hippyskier
Wowee Zowee!!

the only reason why I don't like Metamorphosis is because it's got a blah take of "Memo From Turner". The one off of London Singles blows me away every time, but I think most people got to know the song from the Metamorphosis version

Old 01-22-2008, 07:47 PM   #91
Sloopy
is classic rock.

Quote:
the only reason why I don't like Metamorphosis is because it's got a blah take of "Memo From Turner". The one off of London Singles blows me away every time, but I think most people got to know the song from the Metamorphosis version.

Funny you should mention that, I'm just listening to the Best Of Mick Jagger CD I bought today - not a bad disc I must say. I really like the track he did with John Lennon, "Too Many Cooks (Spoil The Soup)".

Quote:
And that pretty much goes for everything on Beggar's, Exile, Fingers, Ya-Ya's, and Bleed.[ could listen to those albums on repeat for days and never get tired of them, but somehow they still seem to get shuffled in with the mix when it comes to how the Stones are viewed today.

I don't know, I think that for sure Exile remains to be seen as one of best rock n' roll records ever made, Let It Bleed for sure is up there too. I don't really agree with your statement because I think that when people think Stones albums they think Tattoo You, Exile, and Let It Bleed.

Quote:
Old 01-22-2008, 08:41 PM   #92
hippyskier
Wowee Zowee!!

But when it comes to the radio, all you hear is Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, etc.... All the overplayed hits. I wish that more attention were paid to the deeper cuts from those albums in the mainstream media... Although Scorsese usually does a good job of that with his movies, haha!

BTW: I picked up the songbook for Singles Collection: The London Years today at my library... What inspired me was the fact that I couldn't find an accurate tab of "Memo From Turner", not to mention some of the licks, etc. Well I got a chance to sit down and play through it per the tab in the songbook. Seriously folks, it blew me away. Note for note, it's spot on. They even have it tuned to that dirty open E. Lots of awesome songs with a lot of attention to detail regarding the intricacies of each song. I'd highly recommend it to any Stones fan as it is a great reference for riffs, songs, etc.

Last edited by hippyskier : 01-22-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:01 PM   #93
I am the Drake
Problem Child

I just got through listening to Their Satanic Majesties Request. Good stuff.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:15 PM   #94
hippyskier
Wowee Zowee!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Drake
I just got through listening to Their Satanic Majesties Request. Good stuff.

She's a raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaainbow!

Old 01-23-2008, 10:54 PM   #95
I am the Drake
Problem Child

Is there anyone here who just can't get enough of the Get Yer Ya Ya's Out version of "Midnight Rambler"!? It's so bad ass!
Old 01-23-2008, 11:16 PM   #96
hippyskier
Wowee Zowee!!

It really is... you must MUST MUST find the Brussels Affair version if you haven't already, especially in 320 kbps.

Midnight Rambler has been stuck in my head (along with about 10,000 other Stones songs) this past week, haha.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:35 PM   #97
I am the Drake
Problem Child

Talking

Quote:
It really is... you must MUST MUST find the Brussels Affair version if you haven't already, especially in 320 kbps.

Midnight Rambler has been stuck in my head (along with about 10,000 other Stones songs) this past week, haha.

Dude I've been a Stones addict this week. You can check out my blog and see my vinyl collection and look at all The Stones albums I've got. I've listened to so many this week.

Anyway, I haven't heard that version before. I'll have to check it out. I'm in high school right now and I'm helping plan the talent show this year and my band and I are thinking about playing "Midnight Rambler". Maybe we can put it up on youtube after the show and you can check it out.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:01 PM   #98
hippyskier
Wowee Zowee!!

Please do... I'd love to hear your take on it. The best thing about Midnight Rambler is that it's 3 basic chords that you can do so much with. Add to that the tempo changes and some breakdowns and you can pretty much turn the song into your own.

ROCK AND ROLL!

Old 01-26-2008, 10:09 PM   #99
Sloopy
is classic rock.

Quote:
I picked up the songbook for Singles Collection: The London Years today at my library... What inspired me was the fact that I couldn't find an accurate tab of "Memo From Turner", not to mention some of the licks, etc. Well I got a chance to sit down and play through it per the tab in the songbook. Seriously folks, it blew me away. Note for note, it's spot on. They even have it tuned to that dirty open E. Lots of awesome songs with a lot of attention to detail regarding the intricacies of each song. I'd highly recommend it to any Stones fan as it is a great reference for riffs, songs, etc.

They've got a Memo From Turner tab in there? There's a pretty good chord chart here on UG but I'd love to have it in a book. I love Jagger's 70s solo work, I won the "Best Of" Mick CD a few months ago on the radio and it's inspired me to go and dig around for some Jagger 45s and whatnot.

Quote:
Old 01-31-2008, 09:26 AM   #100
mtforever
UG's Mondo'ade

I'm hoping to cover "midnight rambler" live on ya ya's with the band i'm starting up soon, I don't know wether i wan't to play keiths part or mick taylors part. It's a really hard decision. Awesome chunky rythm part, or nice slippery blues rock leads.

check out my blog
mtforever is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: