Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2007, 10:09 PM   #1
FLCLcowdude
Road King

Mesa Dual Rectifier vs Mesa Dual Rectifier Road King

Okie, so will someone give me their personal opinion of the Mesa Dual Rec vs The Dual Rec Road King. Because the Road King is so complex, does it give out an inferior tone? Because I have a JVM410 that I am gonna ditch because I am really disappointed in it. And BTW, please no "Mesa sukz d00d." Because that isn't what I started this thread for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
FLCLcowdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:20 PM   #2
MatrixClaw
UG God

Ummm... the Roadking completely KILLS the Dual Recto.

MESAExplorer has one, I'd suggest you talk to him.

Also look into a Mark IV as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:24 PM   #3
TheShred201
Back From The Dead

the rk dominates the rec. If you don't want to spend THAT much more, look into the Roadster as well.
TheShred201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:10 PM   #4
kurdtkobaign
My name is Andy

Just to clear one thing up: The Road King IS part of the Rectifier series. Dual Rectifier Road King vs. Dual Rectifier Solo head.

K. But yeah the Road King is literally the same exact thing as the Dual Recto Solo head (meaning they can sound exactly the same) but it has TONS more features. Also check into the Roadster as well.

Member of the Orange Revolution club!
kurdtkobaign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:18 PM   #5
FLCLcowdude
Road King

I am most likely just gonna buy a Dual Rec Solo Head, because I can't afford the Road King. Thanks for everyones help!

Quote:
Old 12-03-2007, 11:31 PM   #6
kurdtkobaign
My name is Andy

If you cant afford the RK like I said check out the Roadster. WAY better than the Solo head. Or maybe try to find a MarkIV. They rock. I got sick of my Triple Recto really fast.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:46 PM   #7
latinosuperstud
UG Board King

get one of the other mesas mentioned, really the dual recto(std or whatever) is a pretty lame amp when it comes down to it, and the sound very overdone

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
latinosuperstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:13 AM   #8
kurdtkobaign
My name is Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinosuperstud
get one of the other mesas mentioned, really the dual recto(std or whatever) is a pretty lame amp when it comes down to it, and the sound very overdone

Exactly.

Well, Idk, if youre into that sound then obviously its a great amp. Very well built, powerful...etc. BUT versatility is not its strong point. After my musical style shifted away from hard heavy rock I found myself trying to get it to sound like an old Marshall or most of all an Orange amp. Then one day I was like...WTF AM I DOING?! WHY DONT I JUST GET AN ORANGE AMP RATHER THAN TRYING TO GET THIS ONE TO SOUND DIFFERENT!?

If youre NOT in a band and gigging regularly then I would suggest to find a different amp. After I left my band I got tired of my Triple Recto VERY fast.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:07 AM   #9
guitarrocka205
Dime's boy

Oh, Children....

Bashing someone elses $1700 investment isn't very nice! To each his own. I believe the Dual Rectifier is superior to many amps out there. Rather it be the RK or not. If you can't dial a good tone out of a Mesa (any Mesa), you must be doing it wrong.

...or maybe learn how to actually play the guitar? In the end, no matter what the amp, IF you can play, then you can make it sound great.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
guitarrocka205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:48 AM   #10
TwoString
AKA Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarrocka205
Oh, Children....

Bashing someone elses $1700 investment isn't very nice! To each his own. I believe the Dual Rectifier is superior to many amps out there. Rather it be the RK or not. If you can't dial a good tone out of a Mesa (any Mesa), you must be doing it wrong.

...or maybe learn how to actually play the guitar? In the end, no matter what the amp, IF you can play, then you can make it sound great.

Meh?

The only Rectifiers I've ever had any luck with are the Rectoverbs, Roadsters and Road Kings. The other rectifiers are lacking something when I play through them. I've set up many for other guitarists and they sound great through them, just not me. I got the Roadster simply because it didn't instantly have that buzzy Recto sound...I usually keep my fourth channel locked in on a medium gain vintage setting, which is an amazing tone. Your best bet would be to try out all of the different models and see what you like.
Pedalboard Build
Patch Cable Tutorial
GT-8 Thread
Slide Clinic
7 Way Strat
LP Intonation Mod
My SRV Rig Thread

I build rigs and custom pedalboards...PM me for help or advice.
TwoString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:29 PM   #11
FLCLcowdude
Road King

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoString
Meh?

The only Rectifiers I've ever had any luck with are the Rectoverbs, Roadsters and Road Kings. The other rectifiers are lacking something when I play through them. I've set up many for other guitarists and they sound great through them, just not me. I got the Roadster simply because it didn't instantly have that buzzy Recto sound...I usually keep my fourth channel locked in on a medium gain vintage setting, which is an amazing tone. Your best bet would be to try out all of the different models and see what you like.

That seems like the best advice. There is a Mesa Dealer here in Atlanta that carries the entire line of mesa stuff. So I am most likely gonna go there tomorrow to find something that I like... I will keep you guys posted on what I find...

Quote:
Old 12-04-2007, 06:18 PM   #12
pmeg568c
UG Spammer

i saw a demo of the road king on youtube last night and i was AMAZED at how versatile it was. the dude was playing a strat and went from crystal clear, to SRV overdrivish to a near flawless ac/dc tone then some vintage distortion sounds to some awesome metal stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
pmeg568c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:42 AM   #13
MESAexplorer
Spider Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurdtkobaign
Just to clear one thing up: The Road King IS part of the Rectifier series. Dual Rectifier Road King vs. Dual Rectifier Solo head.

K. But yeah the Road King is literally the same exact thing as the Dual Recto Solo head (meaning they can sound exactly the same) but it has TONS more features. Also check into the Roadster as well.

I find the roadking to be more similar to a Mark than a Recto. The Rectos do have a bit more intense of a modern setting but all that intensity comes down to a huge lack of versatility. The cleans on a normal recto are meh, the overdrives are a bit shrill and harsh, the main distortion lacks liquidity.

For the most part the Roadking can do everything the Rectos can do, but the recto can only do like 2 things the roadkings do.

For the price of mine ($1,700 used) I don't know why anyone would buy a new recto over a used roadking. These amps are so versatile, to be honest, you could own 2 of them and it woudln't be redundant at all.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
MESAexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:05 PM   #14
FLCLcowdude
Road King

So, I went to the music store today, and I was blown away by the Mesa Road King. It was everything that I wanted, or needed. I just now need to figure out how I am gonna get it...

Quote:
Old 12-05-2007, 10:54 PM   #15
nirvallica
teenage agnst brigade

Is used an option?^
nirvallica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:56 PM   #16
FLCLcowdude
Road King

^^^
Most defiantly an option. Plus I am willing to trade a JVM410 and a Marshall 425A speaker cabinet.

Quote:
Old 12-05-2007, 10:57 PM   #17
UnsignedRecords
I'll record you!

how much you looking to get for the jvm? pretty new, so you should definitely get more than half the amount of a used road king
Vox V847a
Quote:
Originally Posted by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
UnsignedRecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:58 PM   #18
nirvallica
teenage agnst brigade

Wait for a roadking to come up used for a good price and sell the JVM. I personally wouldn't sell the Vintage modern cab cos you could AB the two cabs. If the Roadking is anything like the Roadster i tried you will not be dissapointed. Absolute beasts.
nirvallica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:03 PM   #19
FLCLcowdude
Road King

Yeah. Hell, the JVM is almost new. I have the original box, and the warranty card. The instructions too. Someone could repack it and call it new... If anyone in the Atlanta area wants to give me 1450 cash upfront for it, OBO, they can take it.

Quote:
Old 12-06-2007, 12:33 AM   #20
Ubershall404

Dont sell your JVM. Just upgrade the tubes and you will be happy. I did and Its miles better.

Mesa 4x12
Ubershall404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: