Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-16-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
RógueFish
RógueFish

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll Player Pack

Thanks for help on the last thread guys as to which to start on, now i'm wondering if this pack is worth the money and whether it is a good first guitar to have.

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll Player Pack

If anybody recommends any other guitar or amp, which i would be greatful then please make sure it is available from this website beforehand.

Reidys Guitar Store, Blackburn

Cheers once again.

=]
Old 12-16-2007, 09:37 AM   #2
Andy Jarvis
Still sruggling along

My local store, I was thinking about getting that one but went for the Squire Strat HSS G-DEC pack instead and I'm really glad I did.

Don't forget Reidy's charge carriage even if you collect (for some reason) so add £9.99 top the price they are still cheaper than Rimmers though.

I collected mine but bought other stuff at the same time.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)

Last edited by Andy Jarvis : 12-16-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Andy Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:50 AM   #3
BFun
Keyboardist in disguise

the les paul is a good starter guitar, just watch out for the crappy upper fret access. I have nfi about how good the amp is though.
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
BFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
Andy Jarvis
Still sruggling along

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFun
the les paul is a good starter guitar, just watch out for the crappy upper fret access. I have nfi about how good the amp is though.

That's why I suggested going for the Squire G-DEC pack instead, the amp is quite good, it actually sounds like a proper amp and has some nice built in features like effects, tuner, metronome etc. Plus the Strat has better upper fret access.

Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Old 12-16-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
RógueFish
RógueFish

Thanks both of you,here are the three possible packs.

Epiphone Les Paul Special II Player Pack

Squier Affinity Strat HSS / Bullet 150 Black

Squier Affinity Strat Special / Fm 15G

I like the look of the Epiphone and the Strat Special..I mean i will see how they feel etc beforehand. But for the value and the quality which is the most suited?

=]
Old 12-16-2007, 10:01 AM   #6
Andy Jarvis
Still sruggling along

Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Old 12-16-2007, 10:05 AM   #7
RógueFish
RógueFish

That seems pretty cool, except how is the term 'Junior' used? That puts me off a little or is that just normal?
Old 12-16-2007, 10:10 AM   #8
Andy Jarvis
Still sruggling along

It's bigger brother is 30watt and has a few more features that's all, most guitar packs have crappy 10watt amps that sound awfull.

http://www.reidys.com/index.pl?subm...ds=fender+g-dec

Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)

Last edited by Andy Jarvis : 12-16-2007 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:27 AM   #9
RógueFish
RógueFish

Thanks mate,I'm heading down to look at a few tomorrow so..I'll let you know.

=]
Old 12-16-2007, 10:30 AM   #10
Andy Jarvis
Still sruggling along

Quote:
Originally Posted by RógueFish
Thanks mate,I'm heading down to look at a few tomorrow so..I'll let you know.

=]

I would ring them first as some stuff is kept in the mail order warehouse not the store.

Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Old 12-16-2007, 10:35 AM   #11
RógueFish
RógueFish

Ahh okay,thanks alot. Will do =]
Old 12-16-2007, 11:10 AM   #12
bokuho
Gibson and Epiphone nerd

Special-IIs are awful. Want a low-grade body, cheaply cast hardware, poor pickups and often dodgy wiring? The Special-II will have all that rubbish, and possibly worse.

What's more, Epiphone have such dodgy quality control, you should never buy one either as a pack (often, stores won't let you play the specific one beforehand, instead they'll hand you a guitar like the one in the pack, but the one you actually buy will be a different, boxed up one sitting in the back) or order one in. You must be able to have a hands-on look at the exact guitar you're buying if it's an Epi, to check it over. It's amazing how many of them will literally fall apart in your hands.

Generally, packs aren't good ideas anyway. You can typically get much better gear for roughly the same price, or vastly better gear for only a small price hike, if you buy things separately.

For example, as an alternative to the Epi LP pack, I would suggest instead this amp (5watt tube amp will provide much better sound quality, tone, and be just as powerful as a 10 or 15watt solid state, such as the ones included in most packs), and one of these Epi LP-100 guitars. The 100's are still lower quality Epis, but it's a big step up from the Special-II, for only about £50 more (which in guitar terms is nothing). That's a vastly better starter amp and a significantly higher quality guitar for under £300 (which I know still sounds like a lot of money when you're starting, but believe me, it's really not much at all as far as guitars go. Soon you'll be spending well over that on just one element, let alone on both an amp and a guitar).

Or, for the Strat, I'd suggest the same amp as above actually (looking on that site, it really is about the best beginner amp they have there), and for the guitar itself, I'd look into the Squier Standard range instead of the Affinity range. Affinity's main drawing point is the body wood, Alder, but they use low grade Alder, so the end result isn't any better than Squier's other guitars which use different, 'worse' woods, but higher-grade examples of those woods. The hardware on the Affinities is a cheaper cast too. You could get a Squier Standard HSS Strat on there for £165, again, still leaving you under the £300 mark (which really is what I'd call fair for decent enough beginner gear). I would heartily recommend you go for an HSS Strat rather than an LP or SSS Strat; the HSS Strat is more versatile, which really is very important when you first start out learning. I personally prefer Les Pauls and normal SSS Strats to HSS Strats myself now that I have the luxury of being able to know exactly what I want and having multiple instruments to pick from, but I know when I was starting out, I would have killed for an HSS Strat instead of the LP that I actually started with.
bokuho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:42 AM   #13
VivaLaJam
Long Live Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RógueFish
Ahh okay,thanks alot. Will do =]

Dude we totally buy from the same shop.

A Day To Remember, August Burns Red and Architects covers and many more
VivaLaJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:01 PM   #14
Waugh985

I disagree with alot of this stuff about the epiphone guitar breaking. I got the special II 6 or 7 months ago for my birthday. I like it alot and so far my only problem is the input jack coming loose every once in awhile. I didnt get the pack though, I got the guitar and my roland 20x cube seperate and it sounds better than all my friends guitars. Now my friend has that squier pack you want to get and even through my amp my guitar still sounds better. So my suggestion is to get the Special II.
Waugh985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:07 PM   #15
RógueFish
RógueFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokuho
Special-IIs are awful. Want a low-grade body, cheaply cast hardware, poor pickups and often dodgy wiring? The Special-II will have all that rubbish, and possibly worse.

What's more, Epiphone have such dodgy quality control, you should never buy one either as a pack (often, stores won't let you play the specific one beforehand, instead they'll hand you a guitar like the one in the pack, but the one you actually buy will be a different, boxed up one sitting in the back) or order one in. You must be able to have a hands-on look at the exact guitar you're buying if it's an Epi, to check it over. It's amazing how many of them will literally fall apart in your hands.

Generally, packs aren't good ideas anyway. You can typically get much better gear for roughly the same price, or vastly better gear for only a small price hike, if you buy things separately.

For example, as an alternative to the Epi LP pack, I would suggest instead this amp (5watt tube amp will provide much better sound quality, tone, and be just as powerful as a 10 or 15watt solid state, such as the ones included in most packs), and one of these Epi LP-100 guitars. The 100's are still lower quality Epis, but it's a big step up from the Special-II, for only about £50 more (which in guitar terms is nothing). That's a vastly better starter amp and a significantly higher quality guitar for under £300 (which I know still sounds like a lot of money when you're starting, but believe me, it's really not much at all as far as guitars go. Soon you'll be spending well over that on just one element, let alone on both an amp and a guitar).

Or, for the Strat, I'd suggest the same amp as above actually (looking on that site, it really is about the best beginner amp they have there), and for the guitar itself, I'd look into the Squier Standard range instead of the Affinity range. Affinity's main drawing point is the body wood, Alder, but they use low grade Alder, so the end result isn't any better than Squier's other guitars which use different, 'worse' woods, but higher-grade examples of those woods. The hardware on the Affinities is a cheaper cast too. You could get a Squier Standard HSS Strat on there for £165, again, still leaving you under the £300 mark (which really is what I'd call fair for decent enough beginner gear). I would heartily recommend you go for an HSS Strat rather than an LP or SSS Strat; the HSS Strat is more versatile, which really is very important when you first start out learning. I personally prefer Les Pauls and normal SSS Strats to HSS Strats myself now that I have the luxury of being able to know exactly what I want and having multiple instruments to pick from, but I know when I was starting out, I would have killed for an HSS Strat instead of the LP that I actually started with.

Well Thanks alot for the advice,all seems a bit too much for me to take in like because i don't know that much on guitars at all. Could you maybe link a good set up for me? (From The Reidys Website)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waugh985
I disagree with alot of this stuff about the epiphone guitar breaking. I got the special II 6 or 7 months ago for my birthday. I like it alot and so far my only problem is the input jack coming loose every once in awhile. I didnt get the pack though, I got the guitar and my roland 20x cube seperate and it sounds better than all my friends guitars. Now my friend has that squier pack you want to get and even through my amp my guitar still sounds better. So my suggestion is to get the Special II.

Would you recomend me getting the pack? I have about £220 to spend i'd say..Please link me some stuff?

=]
Old 12-16-2007, 01:31 PM   #16
Tackleberry

Yea its best if buying a cheap guitar to play it before you buy. Yea many do get a good epi, but there QC is nonexistant. So its 50/50 of getting a good one. I got one of the LP 100s recently and the bridge pickup didnt work out of the box. And do your self a favor and set aside 30 bucks for some good tuners. It will save you from fighting with it going out of tune all the time.
Tackleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:12 PM   #17
diditfortehlulz
UG Newbie

I say, get something from Rondo, maybe?
diditfortehlulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:18 PM   #18
RógueFish
RógueFish

Can i have some advice on whether this gear below is worth paying or to get the Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 Player Pack seen as i am just starting out.

Description: 20X CUBE Series Compact Guitar Amplifer
Manufacturer: ROLAND
£99.99

Description: Padded Electric Guitar gig bag
Manufacturer: RITTER
£10.95

Description: Les Paul Special II Electric Guitar
Manufacturer: EPIPHONE
£105.00

Description: Guitar Stand
Manufacturer: RHM
£9.99

Description: Guitar Strap
Manufacturer: GIBSON
£9.95

Description: LCD Chromatic Guitar Tuner
Manufacturer: KORG
£12.99

Description: Jack to Jack instrument cable
£8.99

Description: Guitar plectrum - pick set (pack of 7)
£3.50

Nickelwound Electric Guitar String set
£3.95

TOTAL
£285.00
Old 12-16-2007, 02:19 PM   #19
Me2NiK
Likes fruit.

Bokuho speaks the truth.

Buying a pack generally isn't a good idea; by and large you won't get your money's worth and quality control in general on low-end guitars is questionable at best. It's very important to try (or have someone that you know with more experience try) the exact guitar you're buying with the exact amp you're buying. However, I think a 5W tube may be a bit much for a beginner considering that alone will probably cost about as much as one of these packs.
Me2NiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:22 PM   #20
diditfortehlulz
UG Newbie

Ever considered going acoustic?

For the price of a decent electric, a good beginner's amp, and all that other stuff, you could have had a very nice acoustic.

Don't rule that out.
diditfortehlulz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: