Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 12-17-2007, 11:50 AM   #61
Jonnomainman
UG Monkey
 
Jonnomainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Leicester, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by smb
Might be? Why not actually do the maths and tell me what the actual answer is?


Because I don't know the maths! It was just a general statement based on figures which I've seen given by several manufacturers.


Quote:
Originally Posted by smb
See above. Also by this point you haven't mentioned that generally power ratings are given for a 4 ohm load - this is essential to understanding the issue.


In my example we used a head that works best at 4ohms. Like you said "in general" not for every amp - some amps work most efficiently at 2ohms. I'm sure if you re-read that paragraph or two you'll see that I've mentioned that the amps work when their minimum load is the same as the load of the cabinets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
For example, our amp produces 100% of it's output at 4 ohms.



Quote:
Originally Posted by smb
There's no such thing as a "4 ohm head" - you have a head that produces x watts at 4 ohms.


I think for all intents and purposes we can use the term "4ohm head". It's a lot less confusing and less wordy than "a head that produces x watts at 4ohms". Much easier to identify between an "8ohm head" and a "4ohm head" also.


Quote:
Originally Posted by smb
I don't want to be too pedantic, but "ohms" and "watts" shouldn't be capitalised.


That's just an insult now. Tbh, I'm offended that people can beg and call for this FAQ to be published then nitpick over the smallest of things!

Ohms and wattage is one of the hardest to understand and difficultest to explain topics. I dreaded doing it and my aim was to explain it in terms which anyone could understand. People don't need the maths, if they want to look deeper into it they can do themselves by all means.

Perhaps you should have contributed? Yunno, spend a few hours of your own time helping the forum?
__________________

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Jonnomainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:59 AM   #62
thefitz
I Hate Naming Instruments
 
thefitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlatan_001
What would the advantage of this custom set be over a BEAD set? Sorry for this noob question, but I don't tune like this.. ever.

If you use that custom set, the string tension will be proper. .105 is too thick for an F# string, but .95 is fine (.05 per half-step, remember?). .80 is too thick for a B string, but .70 is fine. .65 is too thick for an E string, but .55 is fine. However, .130 is just perfect for a low B string. If you get 130-65, you'll have a fine low be, but too tight other strings.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
thefitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:23 PM   #63
smb
 
smb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnomainman
That's just an insult now. Tbh, I'm offended that people can beg and call for this FAQ to be published then nitpick over the smallest of things! [...] Perhaps you should have contributed? Yunno, spend a few hours of your own time helping the forum?

Get over it - you're a kid on the internet. Sounds like you're taking things a bit seriously. I would happily have contributed but over the time this was made in I have been far too busy...not that that makes the slightest bit of difference. The couple of minor things I pointed out are there whether or not the FAQ was something I wanted to get involved in. If you couldn't cope with suggestions you should have tacked that on to the end of your section. Something like "My ego is too fragile to handle criticism so please don't comment on what I've written" would have done the job.
smb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:31 PM   #64
Jonnomainman
UG Monkey
 
Jonnomainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Leicester, UK
Kid on the internet?

You're coming off as the ungrateful, childish one here.

I was being adult - I accepted your criticism. All I did was answer to it? Please please explain how that makes me a kid?

Quit getting patronising, grow up.
__________________

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Jonnomainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #65
anarkee
oh the horror!
 
anarkee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Satellite of love
Wow--a lot has happened here since I emailed Ben back the FAQ on Saturday morning..

And I tried to make tea, but all of you damn Brits wouldn't drink it, 'cause you said I didn't make it all proper like. Picky lot!
__________________
"I have suffered for my music and now it's your turn." Neil Innes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:39 PM   #66
smb
 
smb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
I'm just amused by "this is an insult" and "I'm offended now" because I really couldn't care less - I was just taking the text for what it is and responding in ways I thought it could be improved. I can see that most people aren't going to care about the maths but on the other hand the question of power output is a big one that confuses a lot of people and I'm not sure how much this helps. I'm not calling you a kid because of what you said - I called you a kid because you are a kid. If I was at school I'd likely have the time to spare and care enough to contribute but I'm not and I don't. I just suggested a couple of changes and you decided to make it personal. Well I'm not playing that game because I don't care about you - I just had a look through because I'm interested in amplifiers. If I wanted to make friends I'd put the computer off!
smb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:48 PM   #67
Jonnomainman
UG Monkey
 
Jonnomainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Leicester, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by smb
I'm just amused by "this is an insult" and "I'm offended now" because I really couldn't care less - I was just taking the text for what it is and responding in ways I thought it could be improved. I can see that most people aren't going to care about the maths but on the other hand the question of power output is a big one that confuses a lot of people and I'm not sure how much this helps.


It just takes the piss to nitpick like that, go take your complaint about grammer to the proof readers anyway. The "de-captialisation" so to speak of those two words would not have helped anybody - why would they? It is completely unnecessary to point it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smb
I'm not calling you a kid because of what you said - I called you a kid because you are a kid. If I was at school I'd likely have the time to spare and care enough to contribute but I'm not and I don't. I just suggested a couple of changes and you decided to make it personal. Well I'm not playing that game because I don't care about you - I just had a look through because I'm interested in amplifiers. If I wanted to make friends I'd put the computer off!


So being 17 and in college is a "kid" now huh?

You're what 20? 21? Still in uni if I recall so probably about 23 tops. You remember what it's like to be 17 and you should remember how patronising it is to be called a "kid" at that age. This isn't about making friends, this is about being polite and nice at least!

You're really starting to sound like a child when you say "I don't care about you" btw. You might wanna cut that out yunno, makes you look a tad hypocritical

EDIT - lets just stop this now before one or both of us get banned. For the good of the forum as we both contribute and are an asset that would be missed.
__________________

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Jonnomainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #68
skater dan0
ex-mod
 
skater dan0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cymru
ben the squier vm pm is winging it's way to you as we speak, errr read and type.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3


Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
skater dan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:03 PM   #69
Charlatan_001
No gods - No masters
 
Charlatan_001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Here and, occasionally, There
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefitz
If you use that custom set, the string tension will be proper. .105 is too thick for an F# string, but .95 is fine (.05 per half-step, remember?). .80 is too thick for a B string, but .70 is fine. .65 is too thick for an E string, but .55 is fine. However, .130 is just perfect for a low B string. If you get 130-65, you'll have a fine low be, but too tight other strings.



Cool - I didn't know about the ".05 per half step" rule. Learn something new every day.
Charlatan_001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:05 PM   #70
Waters?
Is Musically Challenged
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Israel
Good job on this here!
Very insightful!

Btw, the Bass Exercises download dosnt work, could someone re-upload it?
Waters? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:08 PM   #71
anarkee
oh the horror!
 
anarkee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Satellite of love
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waters?
Good job on this here!
Very insightful!

Btw, the Bass Exercises download dosnt work, could someone re-upload it?


It just worked for me--try it again, and if you still can't download it, pm me and I can get it to you via another method.
__________________
"I have suffered for my music and now it's your turn." Neil Innes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:08 PM   #72
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB
 
Deliriumbassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Presidential Palace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waters?
Good job on this here!
Very insightful!

Btw, the Bass Exercises download dosnt work, could someone re-upload it?


Works fine for me.
__________________
YES! YES! YES!

Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:30 PM   #73
AshDoro
Dogpiss of the Year(07)
 
AshDoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
10/10 for this thread! (my only useful contirbuation for 3 months or so now)
__________________
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Thomann Special Edition 180w
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
AshDoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:39 PM   #74
FullMetalBass
Best Served Cold
 
FullMetalBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: PA, United States
I <3 this thread. Merry Christmas to me. Good job. And what is the relative idea of the exercise file 'cause I only have powertab and I wonder if I need it.
__________________
The Official American Irishman of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join


Band's Myspace
Band's Freeweb
FullMetalBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:43 PM   #75
indie-bassist
Second Cap'n Max Sparrow
 
indie-bassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Surrey, England
What a christmas present for the bass forum! Nice one guys.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.



Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
indie-bassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:49 PM   #76
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB
 
Deliriumbassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Presidential Palace
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetalBass
I <3 this thread. Merry Christmas to me. Good job. And what is the relative idea of the exercise file 'cause I only have powertab and I wonder if I need it.


There's about 50 different exercises in there. I'll try and get it sorted for next week or so, possibly this weekend even. I was doing it, then accidentally closed it without saving and lost 100 bars of it. I was slightly pissed off.
__________________
YES! YES! YES!

Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:54 PM   #77
Waters?
Is Musically Challenged
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Israel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliriumbassist
Works fine for me.

Weird, before it wouldve gave me an error.....

Btw Ben I found a typo:
Quote:
Ohms – They’re the impedance of the cabinet and it will say what the ohm rating is. The head will require a match between the ohms of the cabinets and the ohms of the cabinets to produce the most output but we’ll worry about that later. For now, you need to be more than or equal to the minimum ohm rating given on the amp. This tends to be 4 ohms, although 8 and 2 ohm amplifiers exist.


Cabinets are written twice - Im sure thats incorrect.
Waters? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:33 PM   #78
Bullet-Rule
Back from the grave
 
Bullet-Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oxford, UK
Brilliant work guys. Really great FAQ here!
__________________
signature
Bullet-Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:19 PM   #79
Nutter_101
...
 
Nutter_101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: London, Scotland, or Cornwall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarkee
And I tried to make tea, but all of you damn Brits wouldn't drink it, 'cause you said I didn't make it all proper like. Picky lot!


Sorry love. No caffeine for me - Over a year now.

Yeah, I'd like to thank myself and everyone else for doing the FAQ.

We rule.
__________________
In the bass chat:

Quote:
<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol


Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!


And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Nutter_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:37 PM   #80
FbSa
Percus nam Vita
 
FbSa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Indiana, United States of America 232 years and counting
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtBDan
I honestly would, but UG got rid of the soft delete feature - ie if I delete it, the evidence it was there disappears forever.

Now this may not seem like much, but if he gets banned for a 2nd warning and questions his first, I'll have no proof this ever happened.

Basically, in a month I'll delete it. until then... my apologies. idk why its like that now. it used to be... soft deletable.


D*mmit! This is why I should read before I start prunning. D*mmit! What happened to the soft delete anyway?

Anywho, excellent very very excellent thread. You guys all get a free pizza.
__________________
Orlando Gonzalgoes
*2.21.19.8*
Samuel Shen SB-180 Upright
Check out my music!
FbSa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:05 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.