Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 12-19-2007, 12:18 PM   #21
Green_Jelly
Live from the tone lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakael
Does anyone have any particular settings they'd like to share?

Look up this guy on YouTube, his name's JamieOldfield. He gets a pretty sweet metal tone out of his 212.
Green_Jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:20 PM   #22
Def

I have the 112, but I have an eminence legend speaker in it, and groove tubes for the pre and power amps. Can get some really good sounds out of it. Very high gain amp when used properly I'd say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs_n91
I like your style dude

Please visit Gillston or help boost our industry or transport network
Def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:34 PM   #23
amadeus_who
30 FREINDS

the settings i use (oh the head version) are roughly

bass 1 oclock
mid 10/11 oclock
treb at about 3/4 o clock

thats all from memory as im not at home atm. i do play punk so, i get some cool pennywise/bad religion sounds out of it, so in other words just good high gain

ill take a picture of my head for all to see tonight

also the texture knob is only ever all the way to A or all the way to AB never in the middle, neitehr one sounds better theyre just different

MIA STRAT - [50TH ANNIVERSARY] ****SOON TO HAVE COOLRAILS

PEAVEY VALVEKING 100WATT HALF STACK [KILLER]
amadeus_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #24
LEVEL4
New and ill-advised.

If you can't afford a 5150/6505, I think the ValveKings + a pedal, are the next best thing. They have sweet-sounding distortion, just not quite as much. It's a great amp for the money, IMO. Put a dirt pedal in front of a VK, and it should tear ass.

LEVEL4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:23 PM   #25
ZedLeppy
Musical Love Maker

Alrighty. What is so great about the Valvekings??

I was just looking at a thread about an MG and there were quite a few suggestions to the Valveking.

GIMME SPECS PLZ!!!!

Lulz. thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencap
i fingerd my girl the other day she got so wet nearly my entier hand was soked after that i ate her up, she blacked out it was awesome
ZedLeppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:33 PM   #26
hardcoredarrell
Banned

It just sounds better lol, though its not a 6505 or a 5150, it can do pretty sweet modern metal, "with the right settings" of course, I can play Despised Icon on it in B standard with no problem, sounds really well, there are all kind of things to full with, the 112 VK has a Precerence button on the back while the 212 and head have nobs for the precerance and resonance, the VK 112 can sound just like JamesObrien's 212, and you can make it sound better as it is less wattage than the 212, and a 112 can outdo drummers around vol 5 lol,, you can put it into a cab and pa system
hardcoredarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:04 PM   #27
amadeus_who
30 FREINDS

with all that being said, i think its a case of try before you buy... as ive heard there are some bad ones (as theyre chinese made) so youve gotta make sure you get a good one, altho they do come with a 5 yr waranty so your not totally screwed

Old 12-19-2007, 10:42 PM   #28
Xeroxed

****, I have the 112 with stock 12AX7's and JJ 6L6GC's, and it rocks pretty well. This Christmas I'm putting a Vintage 30 into it to see if it gets even better. I don't think you can do much better for the price, or even a few hundred more. I have a Jekyll & Hyde OD for it, but I don't really need it or use it for anything. This thing has a ton of gain. The only time you would need an OD is if you're playing some ****ing brutally distorted metal. Also, this thing is LOUD.

Black Schecter Omen 6
Mitchell MD-100S Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112 with JJ's and V30
Roland Micro Cube
Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde
Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ
*Soon to Come*
Jackson USA SL2H
Peavey 6505+
Xeroxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:43 PM   #29
Xeroxed

Oh yeah, the cleans sound great too.

Black Schecter Omen 6
Mitchell MD-100S Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112 with JJ's and V30
Roland Micro Cube
Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde
Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ
*Soon to Come*
Jackson USA SL2H
Peavey 6505+
Xeroxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:47 AM   #30
ISM
Lord and Master

On one of the UG reviews for this amp sum guy said there was a delay between what u play and it being amplified, is that true or is he talkin about the delay effect or he messed up or summit.

MVL.

www.myspace.com/weepingstrings

" Though this be madness , yet there is method in ' t . "
- - From Hamlet ( II , ii , 206 ).
ISM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:50 AM   #31
CanCan
UG Addict

Is the VK able of pulling crystal clear cleans and vintage drive? I was pretty set on a Laney VC but I'm finding myself playing harder stuff that I doubt the VC will be able to pull off.
CanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:25 AM   #32
hardcoredarrell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanCan
Is the VK able of pulling crystal clear cleans and vintage drive? I was pretty set on a Laney VC but I'm finding myself playing harder stuff that I doubt the VC will be able to pull off.

oh but it can...... you can play Despised Icon, As Blood Runs Black, Annotations of An Autopsy, and Waking the Cadaver ETC.......with it I mean there are two gain nobs and boost and inputs for weaker pickup guitars that has +10db of gain
Old 12-20-2007, 10:40 AM   #33
MasterWerk

the cleans are pretty clean at moderate volumes. once you crank it, it gets a little dirty, which I like, but you may not. The drive isn't very vintage and it gets up there pretty quick. a decent vintage voiced drive pedal will do the trick for you.

I have a 112, retubed with JJ's and I have swapped the speaker with an Eminence Texas Heat. I'm surprised at the amount of low end this little combo has. nice and tight, with decent highs - not the icepick to the eardrum highs I usually hear in cheap 112's.

I bought mine used and the reverb is absolute balls. it's hideous, but i don't really need it anyway. I have some really really good software reverb so when I record, it's all going through that anyway. I'm not crazy about the drive channel for my tastes. A little too gain-y with a big loss of articulation. maybe i'm not eqing right, and I admit to not spending much time with it, but my MI Audio Crunch Box through the clean channel is where it's at.

I would highly reccommend the speaker and tube change. it went from a good deal to a good amp. very satisfied. however, if I was going to move beyond the recording only atmosphere and get really serious about playing shows and the like, i'd be tempted to pick up the 212 or the head version. however, 112 is more than enough for jamming and practices.
MasterWerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:02 AM   #34
Hakael
UG's Six String Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISM
On one of the UG reviews for this amp sum guy said there was a delay between what u play and it being amplified, is that true or is he talkin about the delay effect or he messed up or summit.

MVL.

I've never experienced any conceivable amount of delay on my VK100, nor have I noticed anything of the like when I've tried the combo versions out at my GC.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:10 PM   #35
hardcoredarrell
Banned

use those settings, you may have to play around with them a little bit to get the sound your looking for, but that is the general ball park, yes thats the 212, but you can get the same sound, as there is a prescerence button on the back of the 112, there are two inputs one for low performance pickups to give +10db of gain while another input for EMG Actives, try out those settings above, you may have to change settings a tiny bit due to pickups beeing slightly different.......note that those are someone elses eq not mine, but you get the ball park idea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE5Qb4SVqU8&feature=user

not bad sound eh?? watch that, thats with passive pickups, but his Active one sounds better >;] Brootalz without pedals, who says VK can't do good
Old 12-20-2007, 06:46 PM   #36
amadeus_who
30 FREINDS

^^^^^^^^^^^ what sort of sound does that give you (im thinking some kinda metal)

im still searching for my tone on the VK but im close (mines kinda the same only a touch more bass and my mids are on about half way = good punk tone)

also the DELAY that people talk about isnt between the guitar and the amp. its when you change chanels on the foot switch, which i can not comment on as i didnt buy the footswitch coz i play punk so i just need the lead chanel mostly.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:01 PM   #37
kaos_slayer
Plufff!

Can you give me some advice on what cab should i run through the VK Head, i didn't liked the VK cab so i'm searching for something else but i need help.
Please can you tell me a good value cab for this amp (4x12 or 2x12 it doesn't matter and <500)??(marshall, engl, framus, crate, etc)..
Thx for any answer to this
Cheers
Old 12-20-2007, 08:37 PM   #38
mrmarc772
AILD Fan Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterWerk

I would highly reccommend the speaker and tube change. it went from a good deal to a good amp. very satisfied. however, if I was going to move beyond the recording only atmosphere and get really serious about playing shows and the like, i'd be tempted to pick up the 212 or the head version. however, 112 is more than enough for jamming and practices.

just use the speaker out and a 2x12 or 4x12 cab
mrmarc772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:06 PM   #39
amadeus_who
30 FREINDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos_slayer
Can you give me some advice on what cab should i run through the VK Head, i didn't liked the VK cab so i'm searching for something else but i need help.
Please can you tell me a good value cab for this amp (4x12 or 2x12 it doesn't matter and <500)??(marshall, engl, framus, crate, etc)..
Thx for any answer to this
Cheers

standard choice would be marshall 1960a which is killer with any head really, i have heard of someone using a laney cab - but really you can go wrong with the marshall cab

Old 12-20-2007, 11:52 PM   #40
pmeg568c
UG Spammer

i agree, that the vintage drive/classic rocks sounds arent so great stock on this amp, but a nice pedal will fix that.

ok so i just got my new avatar 2x12 in the mail with vintage 30s

results: (besides it being incredibly red and black and sexy)

the clean channel is MUCH nicer. i wasn't expecting too much of a difference in this area, but i was very impressed. It remains bright but it just has a much nicer sound, i cant really describe it though. the distortion channel was AWESOME for chugs and palm mutes, this set up would be awesome for a rhythm guitarist. the lead channel was better, but it wasn't too noticeable. im expecting a better increase in the tone when i break in the speakers.

all in all im very happy with the new cab. definetly gives this amp new life. maybe ill upload a pic or something

also, kaosslayer, go here

www.avatarspeakers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
pmeg568c is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: